May 10, 2018
Still wack, the face app merge someone did with Black Widow and Thor in that thread seem to be the best compromise.

p9rwg9b_d.jpg

5-E159-D09-3130-4-EB0-99-A0-E0-A45263-A6-F4.jpg

Last edited:

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
This is honestly one of the worse Deep Fakes I've seen, which is weird as usually real life - games tend to work quite well. Interesting to see though.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
That's a horrible Captain, rest do look good. But, the Fortnite Marvel artwork shows that these need not have been MCU standins, just a better art direction would have been more welcome.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
That's a horrible Captain, rest do look good. But, the Fortnite Marvel artwork shows that these need not have been MCU standins, just a better art direction would have been more welcome.
Fortnite is entirely cartoony in its aesthetic. It wasn't going for anywhere near the same thing.

What Crystal Dynamics landed on was a failure of actual visual appeal. The characters look fucking boring, with some really dull facial modeling, and a bland voice cast.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
This is really poor deepfaking...

I think what should have been done in the first place is just better character design than what we've got.
Yeah. No one was shocked that Batman didn't look like any Batman actor in Arkham City just because the character design was very good. In Avengers it feels like they had the rights for the actors faces at some point and then lost it and had to modify them without breaking the facial expressions.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
This is really poor deepfaking...

I think what should have been done in the first place is just better character design than what we've got.

Yeah, it's not that they don't look like the actors or the voice acting, it's that they don't look like comic book characters. There isn't any style to them.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the fact that it looks so damn bad in its implementation, it just shows that the game is in desperate need of a new art direction. It looks like discount Avengers and slapping on the actor's face wouldn't make it any better.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not the best deepfakes but further highlights how bad the facial designs are. Glad I'm not buying (this isn't the only issue for me)

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, it's not that they don't look like the actors or the voice acting, it's that they don't look like comic book characters. There isn't any style to them.

It feels like they tried to make the characters unintentionally look like they are set in the Tomb Raider reboot universe. Like this is how the Marvel stuff looks like in TR's world.

This art direction just completely sucks

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah going to have to agree that this doesn't look good and has a a very weird offness to it, so uncanny valley, which is weird someone posted a thread previously about other deep fakes this person did for the PS4 Spider-Man and it worked and looked way better.

Just kind of emphasises to me just how bland the art style for this game is though, it really makes me with this game was been done by Square Enix Japan and seeing how an Avengers meets Final Fantasy/Chrono/Mana/KH like would have been like.

Edit: I forgot we actually got to see that for Captain America as part of the Play Arts line:
61mG8-LScjL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Mmm, you know what? no
Just like we play the arkham games and nobody says to add any of the batman actors, any of the catwoman actors, any of the joker actors, etc... this game just needed better character designs and not 1 dollar store knockoffs that reminded you to the movie actors instead of going their own style.
They should have based them more in the comics even if they went realistic, like the arkham games.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully it's exactly what they wanted, I guess?

It's really weird watching new MCU fans get introduced to the idea that these decades old characters might look dramatically different from one artist or actor to another.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it is fake - its not going to match up perfectly, but looking past the jank, they all look better than the actual character models to me.

Well, duh? They're renowned Hollywood actors who have been in those roles for years, so we're even used to those faces in those specific places. They could have done a better job with some faces surely, but they were not allowed to use the actors' likenesses, and it's a bit odd to compare to someone who did exactly that.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Ah hello uncanny valley!
Jesus no kidding. There are maybe one or two shots that look okay, but the rest is off because of the bad deepfaking and the modeling looking weird with the real faces.

Can we... can we just stop doing this? Fan edits for The Lion King were awful and lost the point, fan edits for Sonic were off and missed the point (and the Sonic we ended up getting looks really good, TBH) and now this trying to "fix" something with what amounts to minimal adjustments.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, duh? They're renowned Hollywood actors who have been in those roles for years, so we're even used to those faces in those specific places. They could have done a better job with some faces surely, but they were not allowed to use the actors' likenesses, and it's a bit odd to compare to someone who did exactly that.

.. okay ? All I said is it looks better.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I swear every time I see this game it looks so boring and makes me so uninterested in playing it.
And yet when I play it I have a great time with it lmao.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, designs are bad but not THAT bad and some were slightly redesigned compared to the first trailer everyone keeps showing..

Banner looks pretty much the same, Natasha looks better than Scarjo if you ask me, more badass.
Cap and Iron Man wear a mask anyways so it's not that much of a problem. Thor is the only really problem, although MCU's Thor isn't exactly comic-book a-like isn't it?

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who is by no means a fan of Avengers, and thought Infinity Wars was corny to say the least, I really don't get the hoopla around the way the characters look relative to their Hollywood counter parts.

This tech is cool though.