bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Is that actually a thing? Difficulty seemed exactly the same from the moment I started the game and when I finished it.
Yeah I finished it in over 40 hours as I was having fun playing around with different powers and the AI never got smarter from loop to loop. They got more deadly weapons throughout the day cycle but that's all.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if I'll mess with FOV but being patched is nice. It's been a month since I touched it due to no fault of its own, just got busy and then didn't make time for it after, so this is a good excuse to get back to it...

Yes but no - The AI gets "smarter" the more of the seven Visionaries you kill, not based off Loops or time of day

Yeah, at some point it explicitly tells you that it does this in a tutorial popup. Killing Visionaries (destabilizing the loop) raises the difficulty/amount of enemies but also raises the rarity of their drops; dying lowers it again, and a full wipe lowers it even more.

Chev

Mar 1, 2021
Is that actually a thing? Difficulty seemed exactly the same from the moment I started the game and when I finished it.
It is not a thing. Loop stress just makes them more resilient and persistent and better equipped and makes reinforcements more numerous, but even at super high loop stress I could snipe someone mid-conversation and the person talking to them wouldn't notice if my shot was out of ear range.

Yeah, at some point it explicitly tells you that it does this in a tutorial popup. Killing Visionaries (destabilizing the loop) raises the difficulty/amount of enemies but also raises the rarity of their drops; dying lowers it again, and a full wipe lowers it even more.
The popup is actually kinda hazy on what loop stress does. Some people assumed it makes the AI smarter because otherwise why would the enemies be so dumb, right? Surely not just a buggy AI they'd patch two months after release. But no, enemies didn't become any smarter. Specifically, one of the devs on a french forum said it affects their reaction times, aim, fire rate, how many would fire at you at the same time, and for how long they'd search for you after noticing you.

Last edited:

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! I might go back now and go for the Platinum... The trophies were bugged last time I tried so I gave up.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I got the game a few weeks ago, but life got in the way (and a bit of Forza Horizon 5) but now is a good reason to jump on this

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
I bought this when it came out, then didn't actually play it because I heard about the FOV and motion blur issues on PS5. Now I get to play the game I bought!

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am legit playing right now
Thank god for improved FOV controls. The default is awful.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Does this address anything regarding the awful controller code on PS5?

Does it still take five seconds to move your viewpoint from looking straight down to straight up?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I feel about this since
the AI gets noticeably smarter the more loops you do, and you get to the point where they'll instantly notice you from yards away. Part of the fun I had in that game was that escalation of difficulty and how dumb they could be.
Is this actually a thing? I never really noticed and I beat the game.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can finally see shit with the FOV set to 100. I CAN SEE
I CAN FIGHT

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Don't know if I'll mess with FOV but being patched is nice. It's been a month since I touched it due to no fault of its own, just got busy and then didn't make time for it after, so this is a good excuse to get back to it...

I think I missed this because of how annoying and hard to read the tutorials in this game are. This is really the type of mechanic that needs to be conveyed to the player in a more transparent way than a throwaway popup.

daiquiri

Jan 24, 2018
Is this actually a thing? I never really noticed and I beat the game.
From a Bethesda FAQ:
"There is no traditional difficulty selection in this game. The difficulty works off an internal "Loop Stress system" that is not outwardly visible to players. The better the player is performing (killing visionaries and not dying) the more difficult the game becomes."

"Increased Loop Stress ups the chance of an invasion, either by an AI Julianna or by another player, if the user has allowed invasions"

Hard to get a source on what exactly this changes aside from what's mentioned above but an adaptive difficulty element definitely exists.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/25B6vWZyVVaKIMhD2kE3os/deathloop-faq

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It is not a thing. Loop stress just makes them more resilient and persistent and better equipped and makes reinforcements more numerous, but even at super high loop stress I could snipe someone mid-conversation and the person talking to them wouldn't notice if my shot was out of ear range.

The popup is actually kinda hazy on what loop stress does. Some people assumed it makes the AI smarter because otherwise why would the enemies be so dumb, right? Surely not just a buggy AI they'd patch two months after release. But no, enemies didn't become any smarter. Specifically, one of the devs on a french forum said it affects their reaction times, aim, fire rate, how many would fire at you at the same time, and for how long they'd search for you after noticing you.

Honestly that's about what I expected it would adjust to make it harder for the player, even if it's not the enemies being outright smarter.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I want to know who was kicking doors while hacking to discover that bug, that one amuses me to think about.

Snert

Banned
Dec 1, 2020
Had to put this down because the narrow FOV was triggering my vertigo. Can't wait to jump back in.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping the PC update stops forcing my 120Hz display to a tear-ridden 82Hz.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Great patch, I truly hope the menu freezing is truly fixed for when I return to the game.

Does an increased FoV have a noticeable impact on the FPS?

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Larger text is a godsend. Was literally using the system zoom to read shit. So happy.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Great patch - does wider FOV affect frame rate?

They can't fix the input lag? Like, the devs play the game and think "yup, this input lag is GREAT!"

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Man, and I've heard alot of people saying that the original AI was intentional, a deliberated design choice.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
What's so bad about the PS5 controls.

I don't have the game but am interested again after this FOV update.

Does it have large deadzones?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What's so bad about the PS5 controls.

I don't have the game but am interested again after this FOV update.

Does it have large deadzones?

The view stick moves the view up and down at about 1/4-1/8th the rate it moves the camera left and right. There are sliders to adjust X and Y sensitivity but they don't work.

Not only that, but if you are turning quickly left and start to look up slightly, it will basically cut your left turning rate by about 80% and start slowly looking upwards

It so blatantly broken it's amazing that they released it in that state let alone haven't fixed it months later.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The view stick moves the view up and down at about 1/4-1/8th the rate it moves the camera left and right. There are sliders to adjust X and Y sensitivity but they don't work.

Not only that, but if you are turning quickly left and start to look up slightly, it will basically cut your left turning rate by about 80% and start slowly looking upwards

It so blatantly broken it's amazing that they released it in that state let alone haven't fixed it months later.
I actually remember now that I saw a post on Reddit explaining this.

A shame that the game is held back by stuff like this.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
So I deceived to take a leap and buy the game and hope the input lag wasn't game breaking. I'm not far into it and my opinion could change when I get in more gunfights, but right now the aiming is acceptable. Yeah, it slows down on diagonals and really shouldn't, but otherwise with a sensitivity tweak it's playable. It just has a weird acceleration curve like all their games. Luckily the actual input lag doesn't seem that bad (at 60FPS it's fine).

Really enjoying the intro so far. The graphics are stunning on performance mode. The other two modes run like crap with a 106FOV though. Sony needs to hurry up and implement VRR on the PS5.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I knew there was something funky with those controls. Im playing with a dualsense on PC cause it has native haptics but im switching to M/K.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Upping the FOV by like 10 points on each side is perfect. Haven't noticed any performance issues and it feels more genre standard than the claustrophobic default.