• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Death Stranding the best looking game on PS4?

• Yes, it is the most beautiful game on PS4

Votes: 223 41.9%
  • It looks good but other games like RDR2, UC4, GoW and HZD look better

Votes: 254 47.7%
  • Not even close

Votes: 55 10.3%

• Total voters

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
kind of weird ... DS is the first crazy good looking game where i haven't stopped to acknowledge how good it looks. perhaps the photorealism makes my brain bypass the fact i'm playing a game or something

also probably has to do with the relatively mundane setting/scenery. it's not the wild west or some high fantasy world or whatever

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It is extremely good-looking, and it runs well even on base PS4. It's really impressive up close.

RDR2 is still beyond its reach, though.
Nah. Game has definitely compromise in other departments. I think RDR2 is a bit overrated if we are looking to the whole picture. It has definitely some impressive stuff. But in others, DS shows best things.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
My stance is there is no best looking game and that other games do something better than another.
There is no one game consistently the best in everything it attempted to do. RDR2 has good filmic lighting, but I find it's character models pretty bad. Horizon has great vegetation and HDR but you cannot react with it with your character. Even Star Citizen which is probably THE most technologically advanced game (not RDR2) isn't doing everything better than other games on the market.
This is very true. We all have our favorites when it comes down to graphics, but yeah none is best in class in every way possible.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Some of the screenshots ive seen of the environments, it looks quite behind RDR2, only trades blows in cutscenes.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah...I prefer the more realistic look to Red Dead Redemption II.

The purposeful nature of Death Stranding's environments look and feel more than Red Dead Redemption II dramatic landscape. It's a design philosophy that differentiates one form the other.

One is a clear winner.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have voted if the poll's second option was like this
"It looks good and so does other games like RDR2, UC4, GoW and HZD" instead of
"It looks good but other games like RDR2, UC4, GoW and HZD look better"

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
How do I retrieve lost cargo? I had to cancel an order for the weather station because it was too much to carry for the time being. Now when I get to the weather station it shows that it's lost cargo and also I can't choose that standard delivery again as well.

Edit: oops was meant for the OT thread

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think it probably is. The lighting/tone of the whole game is so realitic and the face animations are crazy good. Eyes, expressions... The motion capture face stuff is just incredible.

I think it's at least equal with RDR2 which I would have said this whole to be the best looking game of all time. Red Dead has a ton of location variety and the environments and just stunning. But it's equally a huge blur fest on PS4 whereas Death Stranding looks super sharp. It's a gorgeous game.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
The hair is not great, but wow is everything else really nice looking. The draw distance is CRAZY. I think that there may be a lot of trickery at play (like de-loading whatever is behind you) but I have had no pop in or any sort of technical issues on the pro.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As PS4 titles go, yeah it's high up there. The world being all devoid of life and barren is clearly a story and design choice. Strip out the vast majority of things that would make the world lived in and they can push graphics to what they need. Really impressive considering the tech. PC version going to look utterly bonkers.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of better looking games, even older ones, like The Order, and you simply cannot match the scope of Red Dead Redemption 2, but my fucking god, the material work in this game is something out of this world. Things have a presence that you just cant believe. Even things that usually are lower quality in other games, like placeable structures, are really good, and important things like the BB Pod are astonishing. Animation is also to notch.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Nah. It looks good but overall RDR2 is a lot more consistent. 0 AF looks pretty ugly

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The game conveys the feeling of depressive isolation and desperate struggle to put one foot ahead of other more than any other game I've ever played. The HDR lighting, especially during overcast conditions or low hanging clouds is on par with GTS. Its not flashy bright colors or fake HDR bloom, just straight up what you would see in a desolate landscape in real life where direct sunlight doesn't show up very often.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like both RDR2 and HZD go for more of a hyper-realism look, where everything is slightly exaggerated with more artistic liberties taken, whereas Death Stranding has a more realistic aesthetic with its shaders, lighting, character models etc, which at times can be incredibly convincing. There are moments where it almost feels like you're playing a tech demo. I don't know if it's the best looking, but it is without doubt up there.

Gameplay screens all from the very first area. There's much more diversity in aesthetic later down the line (red dusty deserts or muddy areas, snowy mountains etc).

ec5DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

67DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

992DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

c25DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

64cDEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

fd6DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

bcaDEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

47cDEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

c60DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

457DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

124DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

358DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

8e3DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

1DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

f7dDEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

6f6DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

1cdDEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

22fDEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

e9bDEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

3d9DEATHSTRANDING201911.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
It's a gorgeous game. In the fully open world genre, RDR2 gives it a good fight until you have to traverse the environment with your character. In that sense RDR2 is much more stilted than this game, where the environmental interaction feels so much more refined and precise - and yet very playable, responsive and non-frustrating. It's the kind of thing that can even be seen in videos, but becomes much more obvious when you start playing.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I think the character models in this game are good but something about them is underwhelming.

I was more impressed this year with RE engine's character models.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon has more varied environments and vibrant colors. RDR2 seems a tad more organic if that makes sense yet still looks artificial.

Death Stranding at times looks photorealistic. My wife even noticed which is saying something. And the eye movement is easily one of the most realistic implementations I've witnessed in gaming.

Maybe it's recency bias but I'm leaning Death Stranding.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It was horizon or spiderman for a long time but ds surpasses that. Havent played rdr2 but from what ive seen, it may be better anhow. I cant tell very well till i have the game in front of me for awhile.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Game looks gorgeous and I can't wait until decima games hit the ps5. Given the fact that the base PS4 with its already old hardware when released in 2013, runs this games the way it does, speaks for the engine and the devs. Does it look better than RDR2 or other high quality PS4 exclusives? Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
It's absolutely right up there with RDR 2 for me. The scale and scope is remarkable in DS, you get a genuine sense of scale when traversing mountainous regions that i've never experienced before, the effect is uncanny.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is certainly a looker, love the art style, has a similar style to all Kojima games since MGS2 with crazy high fidelity.
But.. as great as it is.. Maybe Horizon has more going on in it's open world, I got to say it has the edge here.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
This game is the first one that's made me regret having a launch PS4. It really feels like a PC game on low-ish settings.