• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
- Btw, in one of SIGGRAPH talks Kojima Productions tech artists talked about the height fog, some kind of dynamic volumetric fog that snaps up the whole scene gradually and covers it. How is it effective in the game?

- Many doubted the dynamic fluid physics of the game but we saw in TSG gameplay that that black goo is physically interactive and floods the whole building and scene.

- I talked to Guerilla after the release of Horizon and why there are no refelctions and foliage interactions in Horizon and they said they need to chnage the fundamental system in the engine to enable them, From what i saw in DS, foliage is fully interactive and there are reflections on water and eveyrhwere in DS. How much Kojima productions evolved the engine after Horizon?

- Kojima always talked about 4D time elemnet in his games and that he wanted time to affect things like tress growing in the game and gettign older and dying then sprouting seeds to give bith to new tress: he created an entire element called timefall to cause such time reactions we saw plants growing, withering and dying in real time, this affects people, cargo metals that get corroded etc... How far this feature is advanced? Does it affect only those elemnts or there are more?

The water in the streams looks like it not generate any geometric deformation on Sam passage, like in horizon, or i'm wrong and instead there is geometric deformation ?

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
My only issue is the water edges are too sharp against the shore there's no soft gradient.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
There's a weird lack of shadowing on the foliage sometimes which makes things oddly bright and videogamey looking. Decima seems to not render shadows/AO around hair/facial hair which makes it look floaty. Looks great otherwise.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The water in the streams looks like it not generate any geometric deformation on Sam passage, like in horizon, or i'm wrong and instead there is geometric deformation ?

I think there is definitely some physical deformation going on in the geometry. It certainly ripples around him when he is moving through it

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I didn't see anything mentioned elsewhere yet, and can't wait the video until I'm home from work, but how was the implementation of HDR in the game? It's usually seemed hit/miss between games, so was curious on how it turned out in DS.

It was only briefly addressed during the video, but it sounds like they were really impressed with the HDR implementation. Great news! I'm not convinced I'll love the game, but I know I have to play it myself to find out.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mighty impressed by the moss coverage in this game. The choice of colours and lighting is also such that at times some areas can look photorealistic, I'm not sure if the game uses any photogrammatry but if it doesn't then it's all on the art department there.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
One of the hardest parts about being on such a strict media blackout for this game is I can't watch a John analysis video.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Just a note - there was a 20 minute cap on videos which is why it's missing stuff like base PS4 and more in-depth performance testing. I wanted to focus on it's beauty above all else. That'll be my next vid and will hit just at launch.

Definitely in the top 5 visuals of the generation for me.
What'd you think of the game? You seem to have liked it! 😊

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great breakdown as always Dark1x! That flooding effect looks incredibly complex.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
We also know it runs well on consoles because of how nice Horizon was.The Decima engine on PC is going to destroy everything.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We also know it runs well on consoles because of how nice Horizon was.The Decima engine on PC is going to destroy everything.

Indeed, interested to see what Kojima does with the port. I don't think it will be much different, probably similar to what is being done with RDR2. I think we will see the next big thing with the engine with Horizon 2.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
That isn't really related cause the game could've ended up running like poo despite of how the other game ran.
Until Dawn is on Decima too and it ran really bad for instance.

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
I think there is definitely some physical deformation going on in the geometry. It certainly ripples around him when he is moving through it

yes but these seem shader based ripples, maybe i'm wrong, that's why i was asking if proper deformations are in the game for streams, i mean these are everywhere for the black thing, so i don't see the problem for the streams!

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Until Dawn uses the KZ Shadowfall engine, not the sandbox ready Decima engine created for HZD.
It's the same exact engine. The engine was built as sandbox ready from the get go. You can't really make an engine and then have such a big feature like making it sandobox ready added afterwards. It's all documented in the DF interviews.

The same interview also talks about how the engine that you see in HZD was developed concurrently with KZSF and SF exists purely as a breather project that allowed GG flexibility to work on something new. It was "We'll let you make that game if you also make a KZ game".

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
It was only briefly addressed during the video, but it sounds like they were really impressed with the HDR implementation. Great news! I'm not convinced I'll love the game, but I know I have to play it myself to find out.

Awesome, thank you. That's good to hear seeing as games have been kind of hit or miss. Not sure I'll love the game either, but it's bought and paid for, so either way, I'm going along for the ride. I enjoy crazy Kojima, and it'll certainly be different than most other games at least.

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
From what I saw there are reflections and water interaction, just like foliage interaction which are all absent in Horizon. It seems Decima for DS had its fundamnetal systems upgraded.

yes but this water interaction i hope cause geometric deformation of the waves, because if the ripples are shader based it doesn't make any sense, considering the black thing always deformed at any contact!

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It really speaks volumes about the Decima engine that Koji Pro was able to whip up something so impressive in such a short time frame despite being largely inexperienced with the tech. Even with Guerilla's assistance, it likely means that the toolset is incredibly robust.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The final comparison to shadow of the Colossus got me excited. That's entirely the vibes I've been getting from the game up to this point. A pure and isolated world to explore. The antithesis of a Ubisoft game. Which is exactly what I need after playing far cry 5 recently.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well fuck, I was ready to be checked out on this game after reading some reviews given the gameplay aspects but man this video really makes me intrigued. The sense of scale and the idea of traversing that environment is kind of appealing even if it's a walking simulator. Gonna have to think about this one hard

Oct 27, 2017
Finally caught up, great appreciation video, looking forward to part 2 next week. I'd bet that if at least one of the other DFers plays the game there will be a DF Direct to talk it out before too long.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know more is coming, but I was kinda disappointed that performance was basically a footnote here. I want to know more about visuals and framerate on base PS4.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I know more is coming, but I was kinda disappointed that performance was basically a footnote here. I want to know more about visuals and framerate on base PS4.
Yeah, I wish it could have been in there but I ran out of time and couldn't go over 20. The frame-rate stuff isn't all that interesting here so I pushed it back.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was the best video that I saw about Death Stranding. It's a tech review, but makes me want to experience this game even more than trailers and official gameplay videos.
Can't wait to walk in those amazing locations!