• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scottish Sin

Chicken Chaser
Nov 12, 2017
Scotland
I knew reading this thread wouldn't disappoint. Some of the salt towards lower review scores because *gasp* they didn't like the game is hilarious.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Well Im glad its not a dumpster fire and I know people will love this for what it is. Im also glad we are not blindly riding Kojima dick anymore, after MGS5.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PlayStation should put that money saved for Kojima's next game and give it different studios to create a bunch of games instead..
Nah, let him create more unique experiences.
Most AAA games are executed really well but are so generic and something we have seen hundreds of times already but this one seems to be something special.

Btw Tim Rogers' review is absolutely fantastic.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I am so thrilled to see this game being called brilliant art and garbage art.

I'm here for this kind of unique experience that is unabashedly doing something I might not like, or maybe I'll love.
Yeah and now I am wondering which camp I'll belong to once I get my copy.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Fantastic scores. What I've read sounds exactly like what I wanted the game to be. It came in a bit lower than I thought, but it's uncompromising in its vision much like The Last Guardian, so it not being everyone's cup of tea is understandable.

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
Are we seriously jumping back on board this train again? Story-heavy games, I get the need for completion before a review. But not every game has to be played to absolute completion to form an opinion on it.

(I try and finish most of the games I'm reviewing, FWIW)

I am talking about a story heavy game. Like this is. And if you do not its fine at least say so in your review though (which a lot of people do not).

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ABout the first few hours; I found them anything but boring. It felt like a trip, like I was high (while I was sober, lol). Its like arriving in Kojima's version of a David Lynch movie. When you are getting used to this strange universe, the game adds new stuff and opens up. So for me there was never a boring moment.

Sounds great.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game sounds really fuckin boring but it also sounds like the most interesting game created with this high of a budget in a long time and that is fucking cool . We need more weird as crazy as games

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
The food analogies to reviews are just gonna get weirder and weirder huh? Lol

A reviewer shouldn't have to finish the game! I don't have to eat a cheesesteak from Philly to know that Philly has a great variety of affordable locally sourced meat pal!

Come on now, RDR2's gameplay might not have been enjoyed by everyone (I really liked) but from what it sounds like, it's nowhere near as bad as DS.

I have a really hard time believing a Kojima game will play as bad as RDR2. If DS plays anywhere close to as bad as RDR2 I'll be legit bummed out.

(And I like a lot of things about RDR2)

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The more I watch it, the more I think that GB's deliberate trolling, by overly-elaborate sticking to the NDA terms, is the best thing about their coverage.

Watching the 20 minute timer tick down, and live production of cutting to/from game, is really quite intriguing.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The sense of scale in this game honestly looks unrivalled, like these environments just simply look stunning, especially the city areas.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
"They just love COD"

Last three GOTYS:
1. Tetris effect
2. Hitman
3. Pubg

Meanwhile the only staff member that consistently plays COD is Jeff and even he tempers that excitement each year.

I mean there last game of the year was a bit of a joke..
They were critizing many others for no new gameplay advances, and then Tetris wins???

I don't dislike the guys, just realised over the years we have obviously wildly no comparable tastes.

It happens. All fine. Will move on to another podcast.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I am just saying how is it NOT a given that you finished a game before reviewing it?
1. Time is always a factor. Typically, there's never enough.
2. The reviewer's schedule. Almost every reviewer is covering more than one game at a time. Even a big game like Death Stranding is just one of many.
3. It's entirely possible that the reviewer simply didn't like the game that much.
4. The pay-per-hour for reviews is horrendously low. Imagine spending 40+ hours on a task and getting paid $50 for it. Seems shitty, doesn't it?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sounds fantastic, but I expected people to also really hate it for what it is and isn't.

I'm glad there's games out there trying something completely new, even if they fall short according to some.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The sense of scale in this game honestly looks unrivalled, like these environments just simply look stunning, especially the city areas.

I'm watching the DF video, my god such a beauty. Decima engine is so awesome. I can't even imagine what Horizon 2 will look like on PS5.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Loving the reviews that gave it a 3/10, especially the complaint about a point in the game where they had to wait for a 3 minute timer. Some people just don't have any patience =P This game was always going to be divisive, and a lot of people had made up their minds during previews that a game without a big combat system that looks like a "walking simulator" could not possibly be classed as a game, and must be pretentious artsy nonsense.

Luckily, most reviewers get it, even if the game isn't clicking for them to the point they score it a 9 or 10 (and that's fine of course). I'm just really glad to see a AAA game finally strive to move the industry forwards and away from combat being the core gameplay mechanic as a crutch, like Indie games have been doing for well over a decade now. And I'm especially glad that most reviewers are scoring a game like this appropriately, whether they love it or not. Looking forward to the PC release =)

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I think the whole 'you can only review a game if you've completed it' discussion is really complicated topic that could easily fill a thread on its own, and it's also something that would be interesting to hear thoughts on from game reviewers themselves. For me, it's a weird gray area, as there's an interactive skill component with gaming that isn't at all present in any other medium, and completing a game is potentially a much, much longer time sink than it is for reading a book or reviewing a film/television series. (I also think it's bizarre to romanticize reviews from other mediums over game reviews, as the quality level overall is generally identical.)

Regarding the skill/time sink component with gaming, I adore Hollow Knight, and I'd say it's an easily a 9/10 game if I was reviewing it from the time I've spent with it, but... I still haven't finished it, because I'm not very good at it! I hope to finish it someday, but it's taking some time. I really love Persona 5, but considering the length of the game and the pacing issues towards the back end, I'm still not convinced that many reviewers actually finished the game before posting their reviews, which is understandable considering the length of the game.

My personal preference is that ideally, it would be great if game reviewers were able to complete the games they were reviewing, but gaming can be an insanely time intensive medium. Considering there is a steady stream of games continually coming out, and gaming publications can only have so many reviewers on staff, the situation is what it is. For me, the best compromise is that a review can at least state the amount of hours that were played, and whether the game was finished or not.

To be on topic re: Death Stranding, I'm fascinated by the social component, but I'm still wondering if other aspects of the game will drive me crazy. It won't be Day 1 for me, but I'm really looking forward to reading the impressions of ERA members when the game is out.

I don't think that's how it works. For example, I bet most reviewers didn't finish Persona 5 before writing their reviews for it, but they already went dozens of hours with it and were able to criticize the game. Some games are too big and when the person played it for several hours, they may already give honest opinions to their readers. I don't believe it's a good idea that publishers can control scores like this, Jim Sterling gave like 1/10 to Star Fox Zero and he played like only 3 missions of that and his review was still viewed as valid write up about his experience with the game ("it's so bad I dropped it at the beginning").

This!

So what is 'finished' when it corms to games? The story? That's the main focus of a lot of games but there are plenty of others where it isn't. So should reviewers be forced to collect all collectables, see all side mission play out - after all, the game wouldn't be finished if they didn't do that. What about games with no logical end (Animal Corssing, The Sims) or MMOs that constantly change - you'd advocate for no reviews of those games at all as there's no full picture so can't be comprehensively critiqued.

Why is being a review on OC and MC so important in this scenario?

This also assumes there's no value in an outlet saying that the game was so xyz that they couldn't finish. If they'd put 5 minutes into it then sure there's an argument for it not to be taken seriously. But if they've put in 50 hours? Why is that not a valid critique?

As long as the reviewer says that they couldn't finish, how far they got or how long they played for then to me then their review (scored or not) is 100% fair game

Also seconding this! As you said, 'finished' when it comes to games is a bit murkier - is it just the main story? Is it all the side quests? It all becomes a lot more complicated.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For all MGSV's problems at least the gameplay was great.

If all this game has going for it is Kojima's shitty writing then meh.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
As a Shenmue fan I've come to understand that some critics need their high octane adrenaline rush 24/7 or it's considered boring. So hearing about the slower aspects of Death Stranding is music to my ears. I'm going to be soaking up the atmosphere.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

lol at jeff describing Death Stranding's premise (timestamped)

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3.something out of 10...
Like a user metacritic score at this point.
The game may not be perfect, but a score like that. I don't know what to say honestly. Especially since Im reading every review out there.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean there last game of the year was a bit of a joke..
They were critizing many others for no new gameplay advances, and then Tetris wins???

I don't dislike the guys, just realised over the years we have obviously wildly no comparable tastes.

It happens. All fine. Will move on to another podcast.

Base Tetris by a lot of people is considered the best game of all time. A Tetris that adds visual depth to the already addicting gameplay doesnt seem like a perplexing GOTY.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Good scores, not good enough for me to double dip but good enough for me to still be excited for the definitive edition next summer.

Enjoy my friends.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PlayStation should put that money saved for Kojima's next game and give it different studios to create a bunch of games instead..

No way in hell, the brand name "kojima" gets so much attention automatically that it's worth just giving him a truckload of money and seeing what crazy nonsense comes out of his brain.If anything we need more bizzare shit that.
an "abstract game".

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Seems to be about what i expected.

Not sure i wanna spend 70€ on something that i will most likely quit out of boredom after a few hours.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Super excited to play this, primarily because I have no idea how I'll react to it. I love that it's divisive. I love that it's something NEW. That it's challenging what we think of when we think of games. I love that I might HATE it lol. I'm so down for this. I mean I'm a huge Kojima fan, so I'll probably like it. Holy shit there are going to be a lot of people who hate it, though, and that's cool. God, I'm interested just for the discussion this is going to generate.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
That's quite the range lol. Something tells me we're going to see a new retrospective Death Stranding thread every week until the end of time.