• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
So mostly US reviewers that didnt like the game? Its actually amazing that some think its a masterpiece and some think its a pile of crap.

Deleted member 20433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to play this game, haven't pre-ordered it yet but I'll do that during the day.

Seeing how divisive this game is makes me even more hyped. Hopefully I'll enjoy it.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Alex Navarro - "What it is is it's a third person open world game in which there is not a lot of action... he has put the emphasis on what is essentially 'American Truck Simulator' with a dude"

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Love it. The fact that some publications are giving it extremely high marks whereas others scoring it rather low means that this will be a special game. Divisive games tend to the the best.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
1 hour Tim Rogers review. Time to buckle in.
I've been reading Heather's text review on Kotaku and it sounds like I might actually be interested in this after not caring to learn anything about it over the past year. If you go in ready to wallow in the pretentious nonsense it sounds like it is a really good time. It might actually make me feel something. I can not take another by the numbers shooter or third person action game.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Game Informer: Intensely boring, little to no depth, only finished because it was my job.

7/10

....... I don't get game scores sometimes.

Seriously...they said that and it gets a 7? Lmao
"I got the game on a monday a few weeks ago, and on that tuesday night I played about 8 hours of it and realized I would rather do anything else with my time but play that garbage"

God DAMN Dan Ryckert does not like this, lmao.
Holy shit...

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
From what I just read looks like this one is a contemplative mindful piece of media, if you want an arcade shooter out of it you just played yourself.

Very divisive game and I'll probably enjoy it a damn very much. That being said....

I hope you guys have fun trying to parade that isolated 6.8 score

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
It's reviewing exactly as The Last Guardian, low score by IGN US included.

Another trend is it's more popular with European outlets.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the negatives (slow, too realistic) are the same people said about RDR2, except in this case reviewers are the ones bringing it up. I wonder if the players themselves will also complain about the slow, arduous gameplay or if they'll give it a pass.

Myself I'm definitely holding out for the PC version, doesn't sound like the experience I'm looking for right now.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
IGN Japan 9.5
A fresh new gameplay experience with breathtaking photorealistic yet surreal visuals, Death Stranding provides an experience that goes beyond the usual boundaries of videogames. Future developers may draw influence from the game's redefined concept of terrain and its traversal.

IGN Italia 9.8
Death Stranding is a one of a kind experience that will stick with you for years to come.

IGN Spain 8.7
Kojima has done it again. Death Stranding presents an exciting story full of plot twists that are truly amazing. The game has one of the most interesting exploration systems we've ever seen and its way of connecting the community is very interesting. It wont leave anybody indifferent.

Oct 25, 2017
83 Metacritic -> a disappointment.

And we have officially lifted off.

giphy.gif
Crazy huh lol

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised IGN had the balls to do that.

So far the reviews that seems to be the most well-rounded [imo] is EZA's one, did a good job of pointing out obvious flaws [that were present in the gameplays we've seen] without omitting them in the final score like some of the other reviews I've read.

Now let's read the IGN's one, curious about the content of the review itself.

That's why EZA is my favorite when it comes to reviews, and they are who I trust the most. I take all other reviews with a grain of salt.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Yup.

It's a Kojima game, but it's not your usual Kojima game. He can direct the best cutscene and mo-cap ever, but gameplay is everything, after all. If the loop is not satisfying, or even a drag, it'll bring the game down. This game is not for everyone.

Yeah it was pretty clear this was gonna be divisive. I could maybe have seen an argument for 90, but this was never gonna be everyone's cup of tea.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I am so thrilled to see this game being called brilliant art and garbage art.

I'm here for this kind of unique experience that is unabashedly doing something I might not like, or maybe I'll love.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Looool the review starting with all negatives and mentioning « glorified fetch quests » makes it Initially sound like they would give it a 5/10
A lot of reviews here read harsher than the scores suggest. The gamesrader (?) review read like the game had no redeeming qualities and yet got a 7.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
hey, remember that time that people here were insisting there's no way the game will score in the low 80's overall because otherwise why lift the NDA so early? good times

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How in the fuck is an 83 metacritic "divisive"?

Even by console wars standards that is some galaxy brain thinking.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
After posting the conclusion a few pages back, here is my entire review. It's for Gamer.nl, a videogame site in the Netherlands. The review also appears on Metacritic. I've taken the effort of translating the entire review for you (and was allowed to do so by the editor in chief, of course). Its in quotes so you can expand it as you please, it's quite big. It doesn't have any big story spoilers apart from explaining the setting and early game stuff.

I gave the game a 9.5 out of 10.

Screenshots I took:

sLAQbi0.jpg
sgrExQD.jpg
BLNNDu1.jpg
xyZZy5E.jpg
C0bowxf.jpg
OdQGB0v.jpg
ZGOHeIZ.jpg
xIQdK4c.jpg
oo5PWHz.jpg
LOkbqMQ.jpg
bo8oZnB.jpg
U1x9j2F.jpg
n08520i.jpg
CYLKT4k.jpg
dNRQQHQ.jpg
T3YmMIa.jpg
uNZF7gS.jpg
J4j26jU.jpg
wNGBxIC.jpg
V9hKduD.jpg

I'll be here a lot today to answer questions if needed! Nothing too spoilery of course.

Thanks for the effort!

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Some of these reviews are so low that I'm actually laughing.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Hideo Kojima the Zack Snyder of the videogame industry lol. I'm still going to check the game out because I think it looks interesting. I'm surprised the reviews are so devisive though

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seems to be like nothing I've ever played before, and that's why I'm still day 1. We need more divisive games.