• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If you check the cargo in the shared cargo at waystation west of capital knot city, there is A SHIT TON of heavy canisters with lots of likes attached. Easy delivery if you've already mapped out the route.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Between the physical manifestation of the roads being built, and all of the notifications telling me when players use or contribute to it, I already feel a greater sense of community in this game than 5 years of Destiny game me.

100% feels like "we're in this together" and it's amazing.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Does anything negative happen to Fragile if you get her to Jump you too often?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Woke up to 12k likes on my structures, now I'm at 60k 🤘

Begun Chapter 6 now

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone? Next mission is going from capital knot to port knot, I need my bike. 😅
I will buy some Monster Energy drinks too, thanks Kojima.

giphy.gif

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
This is my biggest problem with the game so far. It's really annoying. I'm trying to max the reps for the first area and this one little thing is sucking all the fun out of it. :(

You can also go pretty easily by foot and carry a repair spray. I never sensed the need to go through a section with the bike if I know that I can spray my equipment after the rain to prevent any penalty on my cargo delivery.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a curiosity question since I am a geology nut. Does the game explain why the death stranding basically turned the US into Iceland? It's not just that it wiped out civilization, everything is volcanic rock looking and there are even columnar basalt.

They even straight up ripped the detifoss waterfall (from Prometheus) and it's in this game.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this game does not respect your time much. Due to:

1) Tons of pop ups whenever you accept or finish a mission. Why? No one reads all that data, and it can be all done in one page if they wanted to.
2) Those slow mo "BT's here" moments
3) All those cutscenes where Sam is going up or down an elevator, putting things on a rack etc. They are skipable but I have to do so every time.
4) The backtracking. Why? The joy in this game comes from figuring out new paths in a new area. Take that away and the game has pretty much nothing. Asking you to backtrack just means you take the same exact route all the time. The problems in that route were already solved, they solutions I and others used are still there. So what's the point? To make matters worse, everytime the game asks you to backtrack it's for a longer distance than last by a significant margin.
The whole thing with Mama's sister, then going back to Mama and then going back to her sister was the moment where I went "really?". Because you have to go all the way around the map to get there due to the mountains.

I'm in Chapter 6 (or was it 7?) and the game could definitely use a shorter length, it's a bit too long and you spend far too much time in one area going back and forth. Also the driving is so much nonsense in this game. Bike feels like it has no weight to it and stable as fuck but it bumps into the tiniest of stones and has no momentum. Truck on the other hand while it is better at going over rocks, it's is far more unstable. Why is a 4 wheeler less stable than a bike? The terrain is highly unsuitable for these vehicles forcing you to either walk or build roads which take its own path, and require a ton of resources (I ain't going back and forth carrying resources to build roads bit by bit, only relying on others lol, with the off resource deposit here and there).[/spoiler]

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Im a little confused by when claim materials and recycle should be used. Should I be claiming metals, chiryliam from every outpost we visit? Im assuming they are useful for building items along the way.

Or should I be recycling everything and giving thr materials to each outpost?

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Chapter 3 and so far have only been doing Sam orders unless there's another order with the same destination as the main quest. What optional things are people engaging in? Are people doing all the deliveries per station? The requirement to go back to the same station for new orders has disincentivized me from doing that. I feel like I'm just bee-lining the story but it's not intentional and want to make sure I'm not missing out on things.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think the most jarring thing about the gameplay early on is that the game literally starts out with you on a bike and then in a car. And then suddenly, the protagonist with familial ties to the current president is too low-rank to get in a vehicle, they make the most important guy in the world (it seems) hoof it around the hard way.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The whole thing with Mama's sister, then going back to Mama and then going back to her sister was the moment where I went "really?". Because you have to go all the way around the map to get there due to the mountains
That was so tedious not gonna lie, especially as I fucked up at one point and almost got Mama killed. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I got to Mountain Knot with Mama on my back. I don't know if that's the 'intended' feeling but yeah I do agree some of these missions could be designed better. Going from all the different waystations leading up to Mountain Knot in one go only to be forced to go back to South Knot then Mountain Knot again through the snowy mountains was not fun at all and I really hope I don't run into a similar mission. Just started Chapter 6 myself.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I have a curiosity question since I am a geology nut. Does the game explain why the death stranding basically turned the US into Iceland? It's not just that it wiped out civilization, everything is volcanic rock looking and there are even columnar basalt.

They even straight up ripped the detifoss waterfall (from Prometheus) and it's in this game.
Timefall affects everything including the nature. We don't see it happening but basically it accelerates the rock formation, etc.
It still seems a bit much but yea that's the explanation.

I do wish the game didn't shove AMERICA every 2 sentence. There's nothing really in this game's story that demands it to be set in America and it could very well work in a fictional world or any other place.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Shiiiiet I'm still in chapter 3, and have been for about 12 hours lol. The more I play the more I'm sure this is the best game I've played this year.

I can't imagine where it goes from here.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Chapter 3 and so far have only been doing Sam orders unless there's another order with the same destination as the main quest. What optional things are people engaging in? Are people doing all the deliveries per station? The requirement to go back to the same station for new orders has disincentivized me from doing that. I feel like I'm just bee-lining the story but it's not intentional and want to make sure I'm not missing out on things.
Well like for example the guy you get the level 1 power skeleton from in chapter 3 you can get all the way up to a level 3 power skeleton just by getting the stars up for his station. Also like helping build things like roads or bridges.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
That was so tedious not gonna lie, especially as I fucked up at one point and almost got Mama killed. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I got to Mountain Knot with Mama on my back. I don't know if that's the 'intended' feeling but yeah I do agree some of these missions could be designed better. Going from all the different waystations leading up to Mountain Knot in one go only to be forced to go back to South Knot then Mountain Knot again was not fun at all and I really hope I don't run into a similar mission. Just started Chapter 6 myself.
I actually teleported to South Knot from an online resting base (thank fuck for that) near Mountain Knot. Lost all my equipment though and I did have to make the trip from South to mountain manually as I couldn't teleport with Mama. I waited out the timefall as I didn't wanted to ditch my truck. Though I did use a truck for the majority of it, was useful in just running straight through the MAUL territories. But that bit is easily the worst part of the game so far.[

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I'm on Episode 5, up to the end of Episode 3 I read every text on the database, but I still have a question that haven't been answered. How many years have passed since the Death Stranding? If this is a plot point later in the game, please don't answer.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about four hours in or so, working through chapter 2. I really love the hell out of this. From the atmosphere and soundtrack, it's just really aesthetically pleasing. There are a ton of systems (and I'm sure there are more to come) but most of them are fairly straight forward.

The only thing that bothers me is when the baby cries for an extended period. It's really jarring to me and I just have to stop as soon as I get to a point when I can. Nice to know I'm human I guess.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

Well you do unlock fast travel in chapter 3 which makes going to past stations for orders not so bad

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Im a little confused by when claim materials and recycle should be used. Should I be claiming metals, chiryliam from every outpost we visit? Im assuming they are useful for building items along the way.

Or should I be recycling everything and giving thr materials to each outpost?
Do whatever you need.

Recycling stuff adds to the base's pool with which you can create items. Claiming and carrying materials with you let's you upgrade stuff you or other players build, like watchtowers, generators, bridges etc. I haven't made much use of the latter tbh, crafting items seems way more important. And materials weigh too much as to carry them around for whenever you might need them.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about four hours in or so, working through chapter 2. I really love the hell out of this. From the atmosphere and soundtrack, it's just really aesthetically pleasing. There are a ton of systems (and I'm sure there are more to come) but most of them are fairly straight forward.

The only thing that bothers me is when the baby cries for an extended period. It's really jarring to me and I just have to stop as soon as I get to a point when I can. Nice to know I'm human I guess.
BB will only cry if you disturb it, like by taking a hard fall or submerging it in water. You will learn to avoid these things as you go, and the baby will cry less.

It can also happen if you push yourself BB too hard during an extended sequence.

What I'm saying is it won't bother you as often as you get better at traversal.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This is one game where the ludonarrative dissonance is at it's peak for the same reasons as Uncharted but the other way around. Most of the shit you see in gameplay is so mundane and pointless vs shit you see in story sequences. They couldn't be further away from each other.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So chapter 3 is indeed amazing and i love this game.

So wouldn't that mean killing the thing doesn't make them go away if you're saying there's been times they come back?
They come back but you clear it out long enough to drive through it and not have to stealth and generally takes less time than sneaking.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm on Episode 5, up to the end of Episode 3 I read every text on the database, but I still have a question that haven't been answered. How many years have passed since the Death Stranding? If this is a plot point later in the game, please don't answer.
10 years. We've known this way before the game was even out. The PlayStation site answered this one.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
So I'm in chapter 2... I think. And I almost feel like I need to start over or something. They keep throwing systems at me, and I feel like I've been rushing objectives without reading my mail, or experimenting in the world, or delivering any lost cargo.

I'm at the wind farm past the forest right now. It says I could make some open deliveries, or move on to the next main delivery. If I choose the main delivery will I have to return later to complete the open deliveries? Or can those quests be selected from any warehouse?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I can't read posts to avoid spoilers. But basically if I loved MGSV am I likely to enjoy this? I also enjoyed rdr2 and that was a very slow paced game where you were trecking everywhere by horse.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
BB will only cry if you disturb it, like by taking a hard fall or submerging it in water. You will learn to avoid these things as you go, and the baby will cry less.

It can also happen if you push yourself BB too hard during an extended sequence.

What I'm saying is it won't bother you as often as you get better at traversal.

Yeah I picked that up after making a very bad choice in chapter 2. After that I became keenly aware of what to avoid and how to play safer.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Only around 5-7 hours in; is there any way to reliably tell when timefall is something that's location- or order-based versus one that can be waited out in a cave or something? I don't mind it in itself (see also BotW rain) but I can't stand not knowing what my options are.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
This is my biggest problem with the game so far. It's really annoying. I'm trying to max the reps for the first area and this one little thing is sucking all the fun out of it. :(
I feel like if you try to complete every error before moving on you're definitely going to burn out
Spent a lot of time building roads in chapter 3 with the truck that I stole from MULEs. Hope you like it. Gonna rest now.
Doing the lord's work. Bless you fellow Porter.
Be sure to bring the Engineer encampment to four stars for LVL3 exoskeleton. It's a game changer and gets even better on higher levels.
Just got the level 3 so good to know.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I feel is Kojima needs someone to edit his games, desperately. Not just for story and dialogue, but also gameplay/questline. The whole game could probably be 50% shorter overall and it'd feel great. Cut out the repeating dialogues, the backtracking missions, the padding in each area, the codex entries.

Like there's way too many emails, I don't even read the anymore. Data entries are nice, especially from Heartman, but the game ends up explaining all of that in dialogue anyways and does it more than once even.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I feel is Kojima needs someone to edit his games, desperately. Not just for story and dialogue, but also gameplay/questline. The whole game could probably be 50% shorter overall and it'd feel great. Cut out the repeating dialogues, the backtracking missions, the padding in each area, the codex entries.

Like there's way too many emails, I don't even read the anymore. Data entries are nice, especially from Heartman, but the game ends up explaining all of that in dialogue anyways and does it more than once even.
The emails so far just feel quite generic.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do I see which structures of mine got likes? The menu only tells me the date and time of a structure I built. Not the location.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I think the backtracking missions etc... add to the journey. This isn't a simple thing, setting up these stations etc... all the main missions that you can't skip feel justified so far and add to the experience for me.

However, I am only on episode 3 (just unlocked the bike fabrication), so I can't say beyond this point.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The menu only tells me the date and time of a structure I built.
That's intentional. You're supposed to return to the structures you've built at some point to see the amount of likes they've accumulated. It feels good returning to a bridge you built 10 hours ago only to find out it has 10k likes.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Only around 5-7 hours in; is there any way to reliably tell when timefall is something that's location- or order-based versus one that can be waited out in a cave or something? I don't mind it in itself (see also BotW rain) but I can't stand not knowing what my options are.
AFAIK it can never be waited out. Just gotta get the hell out of the area, or get pulled in and defeat the Catcher.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's intentional. You're supposed to return to the structure you've built at some point to see the amount of likes they've accumulated. It feels good returning to a bridge you built 10 hours ago only to find out it has 10k likes.
You can view the likes that all your individual builds have from the terminal in your private room.