• Did nothing for me

Votes: 611 11.7%
  • Eh, it's alright

Votes: 750 14.4%

• Total voters

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
No, I didn't.

My point isn't the walking/biking or whatever. How I get from point A to B isn't the problem, all trailers is good on showing the world travelling.
My point is, if it's a open world game, it need to be diverse and fun to do things in it specially when everything is so empty and traversing the world has such a big role in this game.
Going by what we've seen , traversing the world is a logistical/strategic puzzle, where terrrain, route, cargo (how you carry, how much you carry), and other factors all play a role. Not to mention avoiding/dealing with patrols and supernatural threats along those routes, which is also tied into those factors that influence traversal

"Traversing the world" is gameplay here, not just something you do to get to gameplay. Are you expecting like GTA-style side missions to do around the world?

Invoker

Chicken Chaser
May 29, 2019
You have your motorcycle to get around. I'm assuming certain areas won't be accessible on it so you will have to get off to continue. I'm not sure if there will be different settlements but you do see Sam exploring old city ruins. I'm kind of with you on the emptiness of it all, but almost all open world games have spaces like that making up the majority of the map.

This trailer sold me on the game though. The previous one had the opposite effect, lol.

This trailer is 10x better than the E3 one, but it doesn't show that much (or maybe i'm missing the whole point of the game).
But yeah, everything in this game is so awesome, even the empty world.
Kojima really knows how to make things, the atmosphere, the music, the characters design, everything is original and awesome.
Somewhat this game brings me back to The Sorrow boss battle, in MGS3.

Last edited:

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Seeing people hyped for this game lets me know that we, as gamers, never learn.

Kojima keeps getting people hyped for games with insane, nonsensical plotlines, and AAA production values that have a good chance of being mediocre.

Don't get me wrong, I want this game to be good, but I think we have to have measured expectations here being as this game could be another MGS4 or Phantom Pain.
giphy.gif

The only medicre game Kojima directed is Peace Walker and most of that game's issues are because it was a PSP game. Almost everybody liked MGS4 and MGSV and they are still great games. I like to think they not as good as the first three MGS games because Kojima didn't want to work on them so hopefully DS gets him back to form.

Also...
rise up.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
This trailer feels far more ambitious than what I'm seeing in DS.
Well yeah, it's a gameplay trailer. We have barely seen much of the DS stuff. We don't know how you transition from the real world to the upside down world. The online stuff hasn't been shown off yet either. No boss battles or how to get past a camp with the tools you have at your disposal. How crafting works or if there's even crafting in the game. I could go on and on about that stuff.

The stuff shown so far is either going to continue to turn off people on the game or win people over.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
what was the city called...the ones that the Homo Demons took over or something it was "Edge-" can't get the rest of it?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I wouldn't mind a brisk but tight 15-20 hour experience that features a barren SotC-esque open-world, if anything I;m craving games that I will actually beat in a timely manner these it days.
Same here. 15-30 hours would be perfect for me. Can't go through 50+ hour games anymore or as often as I'd like to. Breath of the Wild was an exception and I think it took me like 3 to 4 months to finally finish and plat God of War, which must've taken a total of 50 hours.

Invoker

Chicken Chaser
May 29, 2019
Going by what we've seen , traversing the world is a logistical/strategic puzzle, where terrrain, route, cargo (how you carry, how much you carry), and other factors all play a role. Not to mention avoiding/dealing with patrols and supernatural threats along those routes, which is also tied into those factors that influence traversal

"Traversing the world" is gameplay here, not just something you do to get to gameplay. Are you expecting like GTA-style side missions to do around the world?

Well, obviously i'm not expecting GTA or like FarCry where there's an enemy outpost every corner.

What i'm expecting and hope is what you've said, a logistical/strategic puzzle. Just like Breath of the Wild open world, where it's rewarding and fun.

Last edited:

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
We've seen WW1, WW2, and Vietnam so far right? I wonder how many wars they plan on depicting. American Civil War? Korean War? Iraq? Afghanistan?
Very well said 🍻
How is this less ambitious than MGSV?
I know, right??

This game is being developed on one of the most cutting-edge game engines in existence, it's narrative traverses multiple timelines and features the most celebrity actors and actresses on screen in a video game production to date - not only providing their voice [ala GTA: Vice City], but also facial-capture and motion capture - I would say that this transcends the normal AAA budget game at this point.

Last edited:

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the trailer again it is really growing on me

It is pretty incredible how Kojima nails the music EVERYTIME

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
too many people are drawing conclusions without having enough information.

yes the game seems to primarily be about traversing rough environments, defending yourself, and sneaking away from who knows what.

that alone for me is fine, but i can understand why many people aren't excited about that. imo gaming has gotten pretty boring anyway, same old first person bullshit, and same old third person open world bullshit. at least this is trying something different.

the most important things we should be asking ourselves are what fills in the gaps of that traversal?

what are we delivering? why are we delivering it? what do our destinations look like? how great are the rewards? is there an experience/leveling/rpg system? currency? weapons variety? traversal variety?

there is so much more left to discover.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Well no game matches MGSV in terms of gameplay and I doubt this one will. Hopefully there are tons of gameplay systems we have yet to really see play out, Kojima games are always packed with crazy details and wow I can't believe I can do that moments.

Of course, it also depends on how we are defining ambition. If you're talking strictly, "all the actions your character can perform," then MGS5 will be hard to top. But if you look at what a huge departure in design convention Shadow of the Colossus is from just about every other game that came before it, the fact that Wander doesn't have a huge move set doesn't discount the ambition of the game. To be fair, this is Kojima we're talking about, so, as you pointed out, people have come to expect some crazy detail, because that's just his thing. But I guess we'll see for ourselves in November. I'm always up for some Kojima weirdness.

Jun 4, 2018

Kojima keeps getting people hyped for games with insane, nonsensical plotlines, and AAA production values that have a good chance of being mediocre.

Don't get me wrong, I want this game to be good, but I think we have to have measured expectations here being as this game could be another MGS4 or Phantom Pain.

There's not a good chance of anything other than this game being a well-received game, among both critics and consumers. The guy has a proven, 30-year track record. Not only has he been at it that long, but he's been at (or near, if you prefer) the top of his profession across a three-decade span. He's going to keep making games, regardless of who likes them, and attempt to make something completely different in the very next venture. If you want to read anything into his past output, that would be where to look. I wasn't as huge a fan of MGSV as I was the rest of his catalog ...but preceding TPP alone - the year prior, in fact, were Ground Zeroes and PT. If he puts something out, there's a good chance I like it. That faith isn't created from blind loyalty-- it's earned through extended, exceptional quality.

It's much like those who suggest that using the term "genre-defining" is too bold a term to use... Well, sure. For most. But when you have literally created - and defined - genres, you've earned the right to boast such terms without being second-guessed on it.

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
too many people are drawing conclusions without having enough information.

yes the game seems to primarily be about traversing rough environments, defending yourself, and sneaking away from who knows what.

that alone for me is fine, but i can understand why many people aren't excited about that. imo gaming has gotten pretty boring anyway, same old first person bullshit, and same old third person open world bullshit. at least this is trying something different.

the most important things we should be asking ourselves are what fills in the gaps of that traversal?

what are we delivering? why are we delivering it? what do our destinations look like? how great are the rewards? is there an experience/leveling/rpg system? currency? weapons variety? traversal variety?

there is so much more left to discover.
"Carrying the disconnected remnants of our future in his hands, he embarks on a journey to reconnect the shattered world one step at a time."

so yeah we'll be delivering some pretty important sht

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
The first time I watched the trailer I was like, WTF? But when I watched it again I realized that it's basically exactly MGSV game mechanics with a crazy new reality (and even then not that crazy for Kojima). Just look at the section where the box gets scanned and then all the guards come in the vehicle, that's exactly MGS. I am super excited!

And the action and traversal will be just like any game, you have to go from Point A to Point B to do some cool shit. So far, they have just focused on what must be the very early parts of the game where you don't have weapons and are on foot but here we see the motorcycle and some weapons. It looks like it will be an awesome stealth action game.

Last edited:

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
shows you just how dominant that Sony is that they can release both Death Stranding and Last of Us 2 at the end of cycle and have zero concerns...most companies would just wait for the next-gen consoles before releasing their big games but Sony has so many amazing exclusives in the pipeline that they can throw them out any time...good luck Microsoft

No Idea

Mar 18, 2019
The rain seems to be at least 1 way. Be really cool if every time it rained they started fucking with you.

Either that or it's a indicator of their arrival. And that sounds both fun and stressful lol.

That would be fantastic. It would give a great reason to do a recon run first. Take almost no baggage and as many weapons as you can, plan your preferred route while equipped to deal with any enemies or BTs that may appear as you do that, then go back and do a package run with no space for any weapons or even melee fighting, and execute it perfectly.

Indeed. The variety of ways you could approach missions and traversal is part of what made MGSV so good. If it's anything like that people are gonna get pretty creative with their playthroughs.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Story looks cool but I need to see more of the gameplay cause what theyve shown thus far looks boring as shit.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Never learn? What are you talking about? I absolutely love MGS4, and the Phantom Pain despite its story shortcomings had a core gameplay loop so awesome that it kept me going for 40 hours despite being lacking in story content.

Your enjoyment or lack thereof isn't indicative of consensus. Both games reviewed well and many people deeply enjoyed both.

As for Death Stranding. It's not nonsensical. Fantastical, yes, but it's themes are abundantly clear, the plot mechanisms, sure we don't know that, but why the hell would you want all of that given away in 30 minutes worth of game trailers?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Weird to say but I wanted it to be more of a walking simulator. Exploring the lonely haunted lands for long stretches before big encounters.

I'm not gonna say no to bike wheelies, though. Also I'm amazed the world war levels are real and aren't just bizarre imagery.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
shows you just how dominant that Sony is that they can release both Death Stranding and Last of Us 2 at the end of cycle and have zero concerns...most companies would just wait for the next-gen consoles before releasing their big games but Sony has so many amazing exclusives in the pipeline that they can throw them out any time...good luck Microsoft

Bu-but Sony is not at E3!!

Studios acquisitions quick!!

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god...just four days before the Disney+ launch with the Mandalorian...
I NEED MORE FUCKING TIME GODAMMIT!!

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's not a good chance of anything other than this game being a well-received game, among both critics and consumers. The guy has a proven, 30-year track record. Not only has he been at it that long, but he's been at (or near, if you prefer) the top of his profession across a three-decade span. He's going to keep making games, regardless of who likes them, and attempt to make something completely different in the very next venture. If you want to read anything into his past output, that would be where to look. I wasn't as huge a fan of MGSV as I was the rest of his catalog ...but preceding TPP alone - the year prior, in fact, were Ground Zeroes and PT. If he puts something out, there's a good chance I like it. That faith isn't created from blind loyalty-- it's earned through extended, exceptional quality.

It's much like those who suggest that using the term "genre-defining" is too bold a term to use... Well, sure. For most. But when you have literally created - and defined - genres, you've earned the right to boast such terms without being second-guessed on it.

Yeah, tbh Kojima's impact is undeniable. MGS was genre defining.

This is like shitting on Shigeru Miyamoto.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

It's a solid plan. Release quality games to keep software sales up in the build up to a new console launch, and then even when the early adopters make the jump, the library of quality games on the previous console is still solid enough that when price drops to the PS4 come, people will still keep buying it.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or is Death Stranding the most hype game in recent times? (5 years+) The social media interactions, articles, videos across the web etc like I can't seem to remember of another game with this much hype around it and I love it.