• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think?

• I'm excited for this

Votes: 3,859 73.9%
  • Did nothing for me

Votes: 611 11.7%
  • Eh, it's alright

Votes: 750 14.4%

• Total voters

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS GAME

I need it now. I love Metal Gear, but having Kojima unchained/unleashed/coked up to 1000 is ultra exciting.

How the hell did he pitch this game to Sony? lol

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I'm one of the biggest critics of open worlds games, despise them at this point, but this honestly didn't look like an "open world" game. I also find it strange that some people are critical of the gameplay yet were excited for a TLoU2 release this year, which while the 1st was a breathtaking experience, it had some of the shallowest gameplay you'll find.

TLOU is a great third person shooter. People like third person shooters.

Oct 26, 2017
I was excited but again it seems kojima lost his touch. I really had hoped for something else than MGS type characters and world. Just feels more of the same from him.

The walk even reminds me of snake and I hated how it felt to move around with snake in the last MGS game.

Too bad

I really hope I'm wrong though.

3rdbass

Oct 30, 2017
This is the statement released along with the trailer.

People have created "Walls" and become accustomed to living in isolation.
"Death Stranding" is a completely new type of action game, where the goal of the player is to reconnect isolated cities and a fragmented society. It is created so that all elements, including the story and gameplay, are bound together by the theme of the "Strand" or connection. As Sam Porter Bridges, you will attempt to bridge the divides in society, and in doing create new bonds or "Strands" with other players around the globe. Through your experience playing the game, I hope you'll come to understand the true importance of forging connections with others.

It sounds like an element of multiplayer which goes along with the 4chan leak a few years ago. I'm really worried that I'll need to buy playstation plus or have an internet connection to play this...
Yeah, I hope you can play this game offline too as I don't necessarily want to be socially connected while playing.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
lol

xzd4aiu.png
Death Stranding is No1 and Kojima is No8 in the UK too.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
There's interesting stuff in there, but currently that's all it is for me. How many of those Death Stranding encounters are scripted, and how many of them are random encounters in an open world? How often are you jogging around dodging guys with cattle prods? How many times do you shoot undead history ghosts? When you're just out delivering stuff, is that systemic and you can just go around androsk getting rained on, or is it forced that you have to solve a puzzle with your tools?

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
That looks good story wise the gameplay I'm still a bit iffy the chase section didnt seem all that great :/

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Y'ALL LITERALLY SAYING PEOPLE ARE FAKING BEING EXCITED I CANT

WEVE REACHED A NEW LOW FOR REAL FOR REAL
There's so many people jealous of Kojima's accomplishments that their resorting to getting angry about how a vast majority of people are so excited for the project.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Looks absolute bonkers, with the expected Kojima pathos about war and society (and on the nose dialogue)

So in day one.

The shot at the end of the soldiers coming out of the water and the fire is beautifully shot and done.
Kind of an Apocalypse Now refference too, at least the first moments of it.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Holy shit can't believe it's this year. Will probably wait till a little bit after launch for a nice discount on Black Friday, but after that I'm all in.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Yea it's not like TLOU2 is a sequel to a universally praised story or anything
But my point is about the gameplay. Like I said TLoU was an amazing experience, ie the story (which honestly has been done a million times before in other mediums) but the gameplay is very shallow as I've said on numerous occasions. Yet some of those same people are being critical of DS's gameplay and saying it's more style over substance. Well isn't that exactly what you (the general you, not you specifically) liked about TLoU and are so hyped for TLoU2?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The good: ALL THE WEIRD SHIT, male character names, music, 'combat' not being rootin'-tootin'-shootin' but seemingly cumbersome yet versatile, all the different factions

the meh: hurr make america whole durr I really don't give a shit about 'murica I wish they'd pick a different or maybe a fictional country

the bad: out of 3 female characters one is named "mama" and the other is named "fragile" which while a unique name, is pretty bad messaging from a director whose last game had a comically fanservice character. Also it's fucking weird because she appeared great in the E3 2018 trailer, here's to hoping the story does actually something interesting with that

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the statement released along with the trailer.

People have created "Walls" and become accustomed to living in isolation.
"Death Stranding" is a completely new type of action game, where the goal of the player is to reconnect isolated cities and a fragmented society. It is created so that all elements, including the story and gameplay, are bound together by the theme of the "Strand" or connection. As Sam Porter Bridges, you will attempt to bridge the divides in society, and in doing create new bonds or "Strands" with other players around the globe. Through your experience playing the game, I hope you'll come to understand the true importance of forging connections with others.

It sounds like an element of multiplayer which goes along with the 4chan leak a few years ago. I'm really worried that I'll need to buy playstation plus or have an internet connection to play this...
Kojima is pulling a Nier Automata where the true ending is only doable online.

DharmaBum

Sep 5, 2018
So, just judging based on the way things went down in the trailer, it seems that getting swallowed up by the tar may lead to the World War Whatever sections. Fight your way out and you can continue your journey, maybe? Something like that. The loop seems to be delivering *something*, avoiding enemies (fighting if you absolutely have to), and navigating natural obstacles with tools.

Looks cool. I'm in.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Love the plot, though it may be difficult to follow. Wish more games would take risks on twisted creative premises like this - This world just makes you ask a lot of questions, it intrigues me - unlike most other games out there. It's almost like the whole 'robot dinosaurs' premise that was great for horizon zero dawn. As for the gameplay, the implication you can 'go' anywhere in the open world was pretty intriguing hopefully It really is that massive of a scale as implied. I'm ok with a mostly cinematic game that nails that part well, I think it's fair for interactive entertainment to not be defined by expectations and sets of rules, but something that can be redefined and tuned for whatever the game is trying to do. Whether you're hammering buttons on edge twitching the controller constantly, or sitting back and enjoying the cinematics with more basic interaction as long as they do what they're trying to do well that's what matters.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I'm one of the biggest critics of open worlds games, despise them at this point, but this honestly didn't look like an "open world" game. I also find it strange that some people are critical of the gameplay yet were excited for a TLoU2 release this year, which while the 1st was a breathtaking experience, it had some of the shallowest gameplay you'll find.
MGS V literally had a gameplay loop where they repeated levels with higher difficulty to progress through the story. The mechanics may have been fun, but it was a half-assed effort for whatever reasons that it may have been.

TLoU is regarded as one of the best video games of all time, of course people are going to be excited for it.