• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dark spirit Sam Porter Bridges has entered your world

looks like its mostly dark souls style signs, dropped items, and structures with a 'Like' rating system. There was also something interesting during the BT fight, iunno if it's a spoiler if you're trying to stay blind.
What they showed seems like people create paths and tools for traversing and that's shared with the rest of the players. You can also leave stuff for others to find like loot or vehicles.
There is an asynchronous MP experience - things that get built by players have a chance to show up in other players games. Helpful things like ladders, bridges. Even cargo that gets stolen off of you by enemy militias and such has a chance to show up in other player's world. You can even pick up that cargo & deliver it for them.

Like Dark Souls, there seems to be a more direct form of a co-op 'invasion' - the game has a dedicated 'communicate' button, and when you 'call out' to see if anyone is nearby, you are basically opening a bridge to allow these MP interactions in a very seamless fashion. During the BT ambush, a player 'ghost' appeared after Sam did a 'call-out' and the co-op ghost was specifically throwing the player cargo that could be used to defeat the BT itself.

As of right now, these are the only confirm-able MP interactions. There could be different stuff during Hades gameplay, but we really have nothing to go off of when it comes to Hades.

Thanks to all of you!

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I just don't see how many people that play a lot of video games can truly think that the gameplay looks "fun" with all of that slow butt lumbering around and janky looking combat, but I guess that if you are into strange for the sake of strange or getting on a pop culture bandwagon then it may be good.

What an asinine jumble of words. People play games for myriad of reasons beyond just 'fun'. Storytelling, immersion, creativity, freedom, exploration, mechanics.

All are avenues that lead to immense potential satisfaction when playing a game.
Your comment is like saying that movies can't be good if it isn't a comedy. I mean, if you're not laughing and having fun, why even watch anything? It's ridiculous.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Its still great, I don't care what kind of revisionism anybody wants claim.
Yeah? Go ahead and play it now, suffer its consistently sub30fps framerate, its muddy-ass visuals, the constantly intrusive and seemingly neverending cut-scenes (even by MGS standards) and its woefully unsatisfying, wack-feeling, babby's first TPS controls, see how well you like it in 2019.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
You described everything that i loved about this. The UI & RPG elements look awesome

Was talking about Divinity II with my bro-in-law and it was a similar conversation on having so much control on your characters, their growth and how you approach the world. People can really dig into that minutia. If this game gives people the chance to run the game how they feel, with connecting the world together in a online fashion, running thru it handling the smallest of details/actions, it could just be a fun fun fun time for a portion of the gaming community.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

Just heads up. The Saturday gameplay will revolve around Private Room (the personal room we saw at the end of the gameplay)
Kojima says it won't have any fast action so I wouldn't expect any kind of combat or anything.
Also says Norman's fans might like it.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Reminds me of MGS 3's tedious camo/food/healing mechanics combined with the emptiness of MGS 5's open world. Think I'll give it a miss.

Oct 27, 2017
There is an asynchronous MP experience - things that get built by players have a chance to show up in other players games. Helpful things like ladders, bridges. Even cargo that gets stolen off of you by enemy militias and such has a chance to show up in other player's world. You can even pick up that cargo & deliver it for them.

Like Dark Souls, there seems to be a more direct form of a co-op 'invasion' - the game has a dedicated 'communicate' button, and when you 'call out' to see if anyone is nearby, you are basically opening a bridge to allow these MP interactions in a very seamless fashion. During the BT ambush, a player 'ghost' appeared after Sam did a 'call-out' and the co-op ghost was specifically throwing the player cargo that could be used to defeat the BT itself.

As of right now, these are the only confirm-able MP interactions. There could be different stuff during Hades gameplay, but we really have nothing to go off of when it comes to Hades.
I think the leveling-up system is what really gonna make this cool. I saw it this way:
- guy build ladder
- other guy upgrades ladder and becomes sturdier
- other guys upgrades ladder several times and eventually becomes an actual bridge.

I think a lot of stuff will become bigger and bigger by upgrades thanks to tools and cargos brought by different players. Maybe i saw it wrong but i could imagine players actually building full cities after a few months..

This is my theory from what i saw but maybe i'm wrong. Nothing confirmed that directly.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'm not really interested in Borderlands. From what I've seen of it and past games it's just not my thing at all. So I wont buy it and I just accept that this game isn't for me. I don't/didn't go in Borderlands and list all the reasons why I don't like a game(s) I haven't played and don't intend to play.

I don't understand why people do this with certain games, Death Stranding being a current example of that.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I think the leveling-up system is what really gonna make this cool. I saw it this way:
- guy build ladder
- other guy upgrades ladder and becomes sturdier
- other guys upgrades ladder several times and eventually becomes an actual bridge.

I think a lot of stuff will become bigger and bigger by upgrades thanks to tools and cargos brought by different players. Maybe i saw it wrong but i could imagine players actually building full cities after a few months..

This is my theory from what i saw but maybe i'm wrong. Nothing confirmed that directly.

Fuck, that sounds awesome and now I want it to be true.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Just heads up. The Saturday gameplay will revolve around Private Room (the personal room we saw at the end of the gameplay)
Kojima says it won't have any fast action so I wouldn't expect any kind of combat or anything.
Also says Norman's fans might like it.

Customization of the private room? Please.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
One thing I love about Kojima gameplay walkthroughs (even going as far back as MGS2) is that he always finds ways to just fuck around and do some silly shit, lol

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I think people who find this boring and hoping the game turns out to be an action packed open world game full of bustling cities and locations should bail out. This isn't that type of game.

Ah who am I kidding, see you all in the next Death Stranding thread.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah? Go ahead and play it now, suffer its consistently sub30fps framerate, its muddy-ass visuals, the constantly intrusive and seemingly neverending cut-scenes (even by MGS standards) and its woefully unsatisfying, wack-feeling, babby's first TPS controls, see how well you like it in 2019.
Jesus, tell us what you REALY think. Each to their own man.

I went back to it a year or two ago and still had a very good time. Sometimes when you are a detractor, you just have to realize you are in the minority. Does it have performance issues and some counterintuitive design choices here and there? Sure. Doesn't change that the game was still hugely enjoyable for a majority of people who played it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said earlier in the thread that I have not had the time to comb through 50 minutes of gameplay footage because I had to go straight to work after waking up. But I have seen no city stuff in any of the gifs I've been able to see in the thread. Just the same boring-ass field as ever.

Funny how you're still following the game when you said this.

Yeah, I'm out. Zero interest in just walking around and turning on a bunch of comm towers. It's like the worst parts of every Ubisoft game but the whole game.

No thanks, Kojima.

Why are you still here? Just to suffer?

It depends on which MGS game you're a fan of. This looks like a MGSV sequel. I hated MGSV so........

Not all games need to be open world.

Except this game does.

When the story is about walking across the entire USA, having a big map helps.

I'm actually hoping it isn't littered with derivative Korok seed-esque collectibles or pointless checklists like other open world games.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
If you want flashy combat with a lot of explosions, over the top action set pieces guns blazing extravaganza i don't think this game is for you (and let's be honest we have a ton of games like that on the market right now).
This one is shaping up to be a more contemplative experience with a lot of exploration and that "enjoy the moment" mindset.
I'm pretty much in at this point since i love that kind of exploration that you have to prep up and be careful about what you doing etc

Plus Kojima's over the top bs weirdness that we all know and love

--R

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on which MGS game you're a fan of. This looks like a MGSV sequel. I hated MGSV so........

Not all games need to be open world.

It's a game about connecting the USA back together. If that was linear, it'd be the wackest thing on videogames.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just wonder what people expected this game to be when they showed off the gameplay of it before? Like they never showed anything that made me think this would be more than what was shown now.

Can somebody give me the name of the song near the end of the demonstration? I can't play the video on my work's internet lol

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Might be the first Kojima game I dont buy. Not feeling this at all. But I felt that way since the beginning this just solidifies it.

--R

Oct 25, 2017

Give us customization, please!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

This sounds pretty cool.

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
wow i love this AD <3
for me it's a "day one" game !!!

b0506dd2.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Since reveal this game hasn't done it for me and it still isn't doing it for me. I just don't think it looks fun. I'll wait and see the reviews etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Kojima playing the M Y S T E R Y game has done more harm than good to this game's perception. It's actually really straightforward and easy to understand what the gameplay is about, but people watch the video with a close mind and can only see walking.

If a game was nonstop combat from start to finish, but in order to do this combat, all you did was hold forward on the analogue stick, it wouldn't be considered great gameplay.

What makes gameplay interesting is what you do to the game through the controller and how the game responds to your input, not just how exciting the action on screen is. If you try to forget the whole bullshit about creating a new genre and just judge the game on its merits, you can see A LOT of systems involved in every action that is taken for granted in most other games.

It's like seeing someone climbing a mountain in BOTW, looking at the stamina meter depleting and forcing the player to find little places they can stand on and recover their stamina, and then saying you don't get how that's any different from Uncharted 4, where you climb all the time, and that it was boring there because all you did was hold forward.

I'm not saying people don't like it because they don't get it, there's plenty to dislike here, but some of the reactions seem incompatible with what was shown. And I didn't even finish the video yet.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
No thanks as of right now for me. I need to see way more if this if it is ever going to be in my library. The game just looks boring to me?

-way too much exposition, convoluted themes and dialogue

-there is just a certain amount of arrogance, self service and narcissism in all of this.

I hope it's good for the people who are into it, because the production vaues look great, but I think I am a hard pass at this point. 95 meta though?

EDIT: There, I took all of the rage out of it. I just don't like being told that someone is making a new pie that isn't a pie, but a new kind of category with the new not-pie in it and then when I see it, it's just another Pumkin Pie with some nice glaze on it, and then filled with so many spices from every other pie in an attempt to call it a new pie. Don't tell me you are the best pie maker and are making something revolutionary...just be humble, make the pie and watch my face melt off when I eat it. Then nod and smile.

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of potential for great gameplay and storytelling. And we only saw one early mission, with [according to Kojima] things that were hidden from us to protect us from spoilers.

Day 0.

Oct 26, 2017
Just not seeing that much very compelling about the exploration as of now. Not many hidden cool things, not much tension so far. The puzzle solving ideas are all good and fine but I'm not sure it will be that puzzle-y when you can just pick up your gear afterwards.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I think this tries to be like Botw in the sense that it tries to makes the journey engaging as well, but unlike Botw travelling in DS doesn't seem half as engaging as it is in Botw. I hope I'm wrong though.

The boss fight with the Lion also looked painfully slow. It felt like I was watching it in slowmotion. The combat at the camp also looked a bit cluncky, but I think they were holding back the weapons since Sam only use one gun there.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
What is tomorrow's demo about?

Small nitpick, for a post apocalyptic world, it's awfully clean. Just a minor nitpick and I imagine it'll be cleared up in game, but it the world looks super sterile.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was inexplicably received extremely well despite its glaring flaws and issues.

People/reviewers were so forgiving back then.

They still are. RDR2 with its shitty controls and a pretty last gen mission design got 97 on metacritic just last year. Uncharted 4 won almost a 100 GOTY awards despite being a walking and auto climbing simulator for 10 out of its 15 hour campaign. Zelda BOTW has uninsipired dungeons, lots and lots of walking and dozens of flaws and yet its revered on era and also got a 97 metacritic.

People tend to ignore flaws however glaring if the overall experience is positive. I didnt care much for zelda and uncharted 4, but i was a lot more forgiving of RDR2 2's glaring issues. i wouldnt give it a 97 but it was my goty over GoW because when it worked, it was the best game of the year.

similar to MGS4, 30 minute cutscenes, two rushed chapters, poor retcons and nanomachines dont take away from some spectecular story moments, best mechanics and gameplay in the series, and some excellent boss fights. it came out in june and everyone was still pretty enamored with its come GOTY time. pretty sure you yourself gave it your goty 6 months after its launch. GTA4, Gears, LBP and Fallout 3 were its biggest competitors and they were all very flawed themselves. MGS4 simply did more things right then it did wrong.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of potential for great gameplay and storytelling. And we only saw one early mission, with [according to Kojima] things that were hidden from us to protect us from spoilers.

Day 0.
Yeah, it looks so good :) Enough footage for me. Won't watch more (hopefully :P).
Give me the game already!!!

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I'm really getting tired of people saying walking simulator. It's NOT. What fucking walking simulators have combat with oil hell cats and a exoskeleton that allows you to jump over trenches and have enemies that throw electric javelins at you? Honestly, if you say walking simulator, I'm just going to assume you're a troll.

And now someone says Uncharted is a walking simulator? WTF? This mind-numbingly stupid.