• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
xZ8bxre.jpg

Thanks to purseowner for the OT title!

YNM30LX.png

Release date:
Switch and Mobile: June 25
PC: July 17th
PS4: November 12th

Price: 1.960 ¥ / $15.99 USD / 17,99 €
Plattform: iOS, Android, Nintendo Switch™️, PC, PS4
Genre: FMV Murder Mystery
Languages: Japanese (available subtitles: English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Korean, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional))

Game Director and Scenario: Kazutaka Kodaka (Danganronpa Creator)
Music: Masafumi Takada (Danganronpa)

DCT-Ann-Init_Feat.jpg

Attention: Streams and video uploads of gameplay will very likely be taken down by Izanagi Games (the devs) to avoid spoilers circulating.
Read the full statement here (via Siliconera).
YYqf6O0.png

The setting is a certain hotel. The protagonist Makoto Karaki (portrayed by Kanata Hongou) is wanted for a series of murders. But he has no memory at all. However, he has the miraculous ability to "Time Leap" and return to the past when he dies. As a suspected criminal on the run, he will have to ask himself who he can trust and question the true nature of his own character. Through repeated decisions and death, aim to discover the truth.

XspW5jaIwtpjMOpiFJrksrsxfAWDCLZGKzh1DinDvVG-WL57ucFZRu9y_f-b7ItuVA=w720-h310-rw

2vpu2kb.png

ecjmFd4.jpg

Makoto Karaki
When Makoto Karaki wakes up in a hotel, he seemed to have lost his memory. He has no recollection of who he is or why he is in the hotel. By watching the news on TV, he learns that he is wanted for a series of murders.

- Actor: Kanata Hongou
Probably best known to English audiences through his multiple roles in anime live action movies like Prince of Tennis, Fullmetal Alchemist (as Envy) and Attack of Titan (as Armin).

UmgAbm2.jpg

Akana Sachimura
A woman who was in the same hotel room that Makoto Karaki woke up in. He finds her in an empty bathtub, unconscious and tied up. She is a female police investigator who is part of the Special Investigation Division. Although she has a strong character, she also has a soft side to her.

- Actress: Chiaki Kuriyama
Best known in the West for her roles in Kill Bill and Battle Royale.

SgWEHZz.jpg

Nozumo Kuji
Nozomu Kuji is a young police investigator in the Special Investigation Division. He is quite enigmatic and seems to work at his own pace, but he is an elite investigator that has solved a number of difficult cases. He seems to be chasing the serial killer, Makoto Karaki.

- Actor: Win Morisaki
He used to be a member of J-Pop boy band PrizmaX and played Daito in Ready Player One.

FOppabL.jpg

The Concierge
A concierge for the hotel that Makoto wakes up in. He is always calm with a single expression that never changes no matter what happens. It seems that he knows the "secrets" of this hotel.

- Actor: Yuki Kaji
OMG it's Yuki Kaji. One of the most prolific anime voice actors, it's probably easier to name stuff he wasn't in. Notable roles include: Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan), Johnny Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure), Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney).

Kh416Vq.jpg

Nene Kurushima
An eccentric girl that happens to be staying in the hotel. She's a murder enthusiast and a self-proclaimed fan of the serial killer, Makoto Karaki.

- Actress: Chihiro Yamamoto
This is a fun one - she is mostly known for her roles in TV superhero shows like Ultraman and Shuriken Sentai Ninninger.

JzdOD8J.jpg

Kenichi Mino
A popular news anchor who is the host of a daily evening news program. His good character and carefree way of talking captivates the audience watching from home, but… it seems he has a reason to be visiting this hotel.

- Actor: Jiro Sato
Well known actor (movies + tv) in Japan for a diverse set of genres, you see him often as a funny side character as well.

vNUnQwB.jpg

???

9kNe4Ef.png

This is a classic FMV (Full Motion Video) mixing "choose your own adventure" style decision making with real video sequences illustrating your journey.
nJPjIHC_8EFZbZAJmlMNIk9-IKH6MbmST98lhanlW0AcpK7bBxLoWhs4eJv6ujKmWA=w720-h310-rw

Keep in mind the "Time Leap" mechanic of the protagonist - Death is not the end.

The game also lets you collect "Death Medals" while playing which are used to unlock special bonus film material.
There are three types of these so called "DeathTube" videos and a total of 25 different bonus clips to unlock:
・MinoKen News Channel: Clips of the news program anchored by MinoKen, played by Jiro Sato
・On The Set of Death Come True: Footage from the Death Come True film set
・Between Takes: Clips of the cast members between takes

fK54658.png

Teaser Trailer #1

Teaser Trailer #2

Teaser Trailer #3 (this one is pretty meaty)

Release Trailer (EN subtitles available on YouTube)

Theme Song (Kami-sama, I have noticed - "Inner Circle" / 神様、僕は気づいてしまった - インナーサークル)

QkLkRmM.png

wccftech - 8.1/10
pocketgamer - 2/5

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
This trailer is the best.

Pretty excited to play! 16 USD is totally reasonable. Thanks for the OT, Dee Dee! When I was posted my last thread for the game, I felt like nobody was going to play it.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the OT! Really looking forward to it and to discuss it with people.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
If you think Jiro Sato looks familiar and can't quite place him, he's Hotoke from Yuusha Yoshihiko and a ton of other live action adaptations.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is probably a really stupid question for an FMV game, but do we know what resolution it runs at on Switch vs. iOS?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is probably a really stupid question for an FMV game, but do we know what resolution it runs at on Switch vs. iOS?

Not a stupid question - I half-pondered waiting for the PS4 version in case it was 4K video on Pro, but I'm not willing to wait.

Curious to know this too.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
Bought it on Switch I can't wait to get into it later. Hope it scratches that itch I was having for one of Kodaka's wild rides. He was supposed to have an anime coming out next month but it was pushed to October due to COVID, so just let me have this!

euricaeris

Oct 26, 2017
Patiently waiting for this to show up on the EU eShop. Can't wait.

If you think Jiro Sato looks familiar and can't quite place him, he's Hotoke from Yuusha Yoshihiko and a ton of other live action adaptations.

Me and a friend affectionately refer to him as Buddha because of this, despite seeing him in a bunch of other shows. He was in the most recent Death Note live-action series too.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
It is kind of annoying that they announced platforms without any date or preorder option, because with a game like this I will almost certainly forget it exists.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very early impressions after getting 2 "game overs":

These cops are absolutely not acting like real cops would in this situation, so casual and calm about everything, to the point it's hard to believe in the acting. And the scenes in which the main character was shot and stabbed were badly filmed especially the last one, you could see how the sword went behind the actor and didn't touch him at all; they didn't even try to make it look real :x

These things are taking the tension away from these scenes and I hope the game gets a little better about that. (I know I am super, super early on in the game though)

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit i had no idea this was even coming out any time soon. Might wait a sec before biting but excited to read impressions

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Looking forward to impressions!

I'll probably wait PC for regional pricing, but looks cool.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I am always down for weird shit from Kodaka (and more Masafumi Takada tunes). Gonna def check this out.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very early impressions after getting 2 "game overs":

These cops are absolutely not acting like real cops would in this situation, so casual and calm about everything, to the point it's hard to believe in the acting. And the scenes in which the main character was shot and stabbed were badly filmed especially the last one, you could see how the sword went behind the actor and didn't touch him at all; they didn't even try to make it look real :x

These things are taking the tension away from these scenes and I hope the game gets a little better about that. (I know I am super, super early on in the game though)

I played a little bit more, and initially I thought those scenes were filmed that way due to a lack of budget, but seeing how CG is used elsewhere I think they just deliberately didn't want to film realistic depictions of violence, which is unfortunate.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Did NOT realize this was out, or even getting localized any time soon. Will probably wait a little while but that's hype.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Enjoyed my first playthrough plenty. Had a few out loud "WHAT" moments and liked the ending I got. I'll go back and get some other endings later.

The Deathtube clips you unlock don't seem to have subtitles? Or maybe just the first one. I loaded up one and it was just Japanese with no subs anyway.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed my first playthrough plenty. Had a few out loud "WHAT" moments and liked the ending I got. I'll go back and get some other endings later.

The Deathtube clips you unlock don't seem to have subtitles? Or maybe just the first one. I loaded up one and it was just Japanese with no subs anyway.

Yeah, all the extra content has no subs at all, a shame.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Yup word of warning don't buy this if you don't know Japanese. All of the Death Tube videos you unlock have no subtitles.

I also feel it's really weirdly acted overall. But I don't watch Japanese TV so...

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yup word of warning don't buy this if you don't know Japanese. All of the Death Tube videos you unlock have no subtitles.

I also feel it's really weirdly acted overall. But I don't watch Japanese TV so...

That is not a reasonable warning at all. Yes, the extra videos aren't subtitled but they are just that, extras. The entire game is subbed and you don't have to know japanese to go through it.

That would be like not buying a Blu-Ray set for a whole series because the bonus content and behind the scenes footage isn't subbed, you can still enjoy the series without that.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Idk if we should be saying the deaths as a spoiler point to discuss it cause idk how to talk about it without some kind of reference point. If someone has an issue with that let me know.

I literally can't believe Kodaka used the VR world twist again lmao. Dude is consistent.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay actually hit the credits

It's a neat little thing, basically an interactive movie and it's nothing too special. A quick 2 hour playtime, so do it in one sitting. Like that Kodaka did something a bit weird.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I beat it. It's kind of okay for 15$ but overall it's pretty poor. Only the choice in the end really matters. There is very little gameplay so little the screen actually fell in screen saver mode a few times. You can pretty much guess all of story it easily too. I don't think the story is really special either but I won't say more not to spoil anything.

That is not a reasonable warning at all. Yes, the extra videos aren't subtitled but they are just that, extras. The entire game is subbed and you don't have to know japanese to go through it.

That would be like not buying a Blu-Ray set for a whole series because the bonus content and behind the scenes footage isn't subbed, you can still enjoy the series without that.

I find it pretty fair to make it known to people. Especially since the marketing had en emphasis on those. Whether it's half assed because it's a glitch or because they couldn't afford to sub it in all language is still relevant to me. I usually expect a game localization to localize the full thing.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I find it pretty fair to make it known to people. Especially since the marketing had en emphasis on those. Whether it's half assed because it's a glitch or because they couldn't afford to sub it in all language is still relevant to me. I usually expect a game localization to localize the full thing.

That's not what you said though; you said to not buy the game if you don't know japanese, when knowing japanese is not a requirement to play the game at all.

But I agree with you that these things should be made clear to people that are thinking of buying it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly just shaking my head at this. Choosing to present it as a full FMV thing, but then keeping the VN-esque internal monologuing and forcing the actor to awkwardly look around and 'think' all the time is disastrously stupid.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I forgot this was coming out this month. I currently don't have time for it, but I sure as hell will get to it once I'm done with The Last of Us Part II. Very much looking forward to it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Think I just finished it. Not really sure I can say I liked any aspect of it outside of the pretty standard Takada soundtrack.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's out on Android in EU, let's hope the eShop updates around 1pm (CEST) too.

Is it still not up?! (Can't check myself right now)

Edit: I'm not convinced it's coming out in Europe for some reason. The eShop has already updated with new releases. Does the JP version have English? (Don't have a US eShop account set up)

Last edited: