demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it tonight and enjoyed it. Something kept me from loving it though and I'm not sure what that was. Looking forward to catching this when it hits 4k for a second time to see if I can figure it out then.

Loved that it was a love letter to Fox-verse and not a "kill/shit on Fox-verse" like a lot of theories were. Loved 23, Blade, Gambit and Elektra.

Wasn't a huge fan of Paradox.

Liked Casandra.

Reynolds and Jackman together were fantastic. The minivan scene is SO good.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Something I really appreciated about the film is that while they have the initial "heroes fight each other at the start", then proceed with the standard team up, the two of them are still so at odds, and even have a second brawl in the car.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it today and really enjoyed it! The plot was a mess but I had fun watching it which is ultimately what I go to see these types of movies for. Great "turn your brain off" popcorn flick.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Tatum better be back as Gambit in Secret Wars atleast. I dont care what anyone says I thought he was amazing. They just need to fut his mask deeper into his face and give him the red black eyes.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
So what happens to a timeline before it's anchor is born (or after they die)?
Hi there, professional No-Prizer here:

If I had to come up with an explanation, since every timeline is branching off of another timeline, I'd say that no timeline exists before its anchor. And the movie tells us what happens when the anchor dies, the universe withers and dies over the course of two thousand or so years.

Of course, none of this will be relevant beyond this film.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Hi there, professional No-Prizer here:

If I had to come up with an explanation, since every timeline is branching off of another timeline, I'd say that no timeline exists before its anchor. And the movie tells us what happens when the anchor dies, the universe withers and dies over the course of two thousand or so years.

Of course, none of this will be relevant beyond this film.

Only problem with this... if every universe is branching off another universe, with no individual universe existing before its anchor, the implication is that every universe exists about as long as its anchor does. Just perhaps a couple thousand years longer.

Or put another way, the lifespan of every universe is "original" timeline + lifespan of the anchor being that exists at the outset of the branched out timeline/new universe + ~2,000 years.

I mean, maybe? I could see it. I prefer to imagine the whole concept being a little trippier. For all the twists and turns a timeline can take, there is an individual who will inevitably come to exist. Once their existence comes and goes, the timeline loses all sense of direction, and the withering begins.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the humor isn't as funny anymore and half the jokes landed. But the 1v1s and cameos were good. Specifically Blade and Tatum finally getting his time to be Gambit. But yeah that man way too built in that movie I think Kitsch would've had a better look in that classic costume.

But who cares, it's been 10+ years in the making for him getting that role lol.

Was that first Wolverine in the montage supposed to be a height accurate version lol

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Liked the movie, fun time and they consistently manage to be wholesome enough in an unexpected way.

But why is X23 in there? Her world didn't end right? I mean the movie goes out of their way to say that old dead Logan is part of Deadpools Earth and then so was X23 so why should she be there in the wasteland or whatever

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just came back from seeing it.
Absolutely loved it.
The very start when NSYNC Bye bye bye plays, I had a huge grin on my face.

I got Cavill spoiled but thankfully not, Johnny, Elektra, Blade and Gambit. Was great to see them.

I think Cassandra was wasted at the end. As someone already mentioned, she had awesome powers but she's just plugged to a machine for the whole segment.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Liked the movie, fun time and they consistently manage to be wholesome enough in an unexpected way.

But why is X23 in there? Her world didn't end right? I mean the movie goes out of their way to say that old dead Logan is part of Deadpools Earth and then so was X23 so why should she be there in the wasteland or whatever

The whole characters in the wasteland bit is meta commentary on Fox/Marvel properties and storylines that just kind of got left out to dry, never followed up on, or otherwise left in character limbo. Gambit is the most glaring example of this.

X-23 is there because Logan ended up killing off Wolverine while leaving an opening for X-23 to continue the storyline...which Fox never did, so she's in the wasteland.

No need to overthink it really. The whole film repeatedly breaks the fourth wall about this especially in the wastelands part.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I was hearing that some parents took their kids to this?

LOL

And they didn't expect the raunchiness and violence. What?!

I guess the MCU banner confused them as MCU is usually family friendly.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

LOL

I heard some little kids in my showing too, but at least that was opening night so you can (sorta) forgive people for not knowing how violent it is.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Would Pyro really be able to shut down the Human Torch like that?

Probably. There are two Pyros though with slightly different abilities.

Pyro 1 (John Allerdyce) has pyrokinesis and can control size, direction, and intensity of flames. He needs concentration to do this, and generally has to be able to see it. The bigger the fire, the harder it is to control. Allerdyce isn't fireproof though and can be burned by fire he's not actively controlling and wears an insulated suit because of this.

Pyro 2 (Simon Lasker) can generate his own flames and IS fireproof, as far as anybody knows.

Allerdyce would probably struggle with the Torch while Lasker would have an easier time. Fox Verse pyro doesn't really seem to be either one but a mixture of abilities between the two.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The whole characters in the wasteland bit is meta commentary on Fox/Marvel properties and storylines that just kind of got left out to dry, never followed up on, or otherwise left in character limbo. Gambit is the most glaring example of this.

X-23 is there because Logan ended up killing off Wolverine while leaving an opening for X-23 to continue the storyline...which Fox never did, so she's in the wasteland.

No need to overthink it really. The whole film repeatedly breaks the fourth wall about this especially in the wastelands part.
Yeah I get it, but a bit more narrative consistency helps keep the plot afloat. The fact that the timelines didnt match didnt bother me, for example

Surprised so much of the movie took place in the wasteland since the concept was already pretty well explored previously but it allowed them to do all the shenanigans they wanted to do so I guess that makes sense.

Edit: I had a hard time recognizing both Chris Evans and Henry Cavill. Was that just me?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah I get it, but a bit more narrative consistency helps keep the plot afloat. The fact that the timelines didnt match didnt bother me, for example

Surprised so much of the movie took place in the wasteland since the concept was already pretty well explored previously but it allowed them to do all the shenanigans they wanted to do so I guess that makes sense.

Edit: I had a hard time recognizing both Chris Evans and Henry Cavill. Was that just me?

Narratively the movie doesn't really make sense in a "why is this character here" kind of way. You just kind of have to accept that at SOME point the TVA pruned those people and dumped them in the wasteland.

Since that place exists outside of time, it doesn't matter "when" the pruning happens, all these characters end up in the wasteland at the same time. Deadpool is from the same world X-23 is but a decade earlier. They both land in the same spot in the wasteland if they get pruned though.

But Gambit's world never existed in the first place (the film explicitly jokes about this) and we have the X-3 version of Juggernaut in the wasteland instead of the Deadpool 2 one, we have the Tyler Mane version of Sabertooth instead of the Liev Schreiber one....it's not meant to be examined on that level, it'll fall apart immediately.

I think that's just a you thing not recognizing Cavill and Evans though. Those were REALLY obvious

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly surprised the general reaction is so positive.

I thought the plot and character beats were all very dull, and generally the whole thing looked pretty bad. I definitely enjoyed a fair few jokes, but the hit rate was low for me - so many of the jokes being "lol, imagine if I was gay" I feel is just incredibly outdated. Not trying to say this in a po-faced way, just found it very unfunny.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Slightly surprised the general reaction is so positive.

I thought the plot and character beats were all very dull, and generally the whole thing looked pretty bad. I definitely enjoyed a fair few jokes, but the hit rate was low for me - so many of the jokes being "lol, imagine if I was gay" I feel is just incredibly outdated. Not trying to say this in a po-faced way, just found it very unfunny.
I think it is cause the cameos. You remove that and people probably would've had a different tune. They are very distracting.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People would like the movie less if you take out a thing people like about it is not really an insightful take

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The cameos were a choice for the movie structure, if you remove them, of course you would have a different movie.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The entire movie is essentially a meta plot about the cultural value of dead film universes, you can't just "remove" the cameos and tell the same story.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
With an unfinished scripts and no union rewrites aloud for the reshoots.

Substantial rewrites midway through filming rarely, if ever, make movies better. It usually just results in a flailing, chaotic production.

I'm not saying the script is perfect - it's absolutely not - but the strike came at an extremely bad time.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA

LOL

My work did a showing of Twisters for all of our employees, and I got suckered into passing the "popcorn and drink" tickets out for the gathering, so I was sitting up by the ticket lady at our theater.

Apparently that theater doesn't allow anyone under the age of 16 into rated R movies after 6 p.m. no matter if they have a parent.

I shit you not, that ticket lady had to turn away like 40 people who wanted to take their little kids into Deadpool and Wolverine while I was sitting there, I couldn't believe it. I'm talking little kids like 5 years old at times. People were cussing at her and getting all worked up because little 7 year old Johnny couldn't go see the movie.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I finally watched it. I adored seeing Elektra, Gambit, Blade, and especially X-23 make an appearance. I can't believe it's been that long since Logan. Little kid is grown up. Laura putting on the glasses was one of my favorite parts. I love the X-Men movie franchise a lot so this just has me excited for the MCU's X-Men. Guess Hugh Jackman is back lol.

Edit: Oh and a dad in front of me brought his 6 year old. It was weird. The kid wasn't too disruptive, just quietly talking and asking what's going on. Then the kid got bored and asked his dad if they could go home so they left.

FriendofSonic

Jan 30, 2021
Sorry if people have postulated on this already, but how/why does the 20th century fox logo exist physically in the desert? Is the void itself self aware and meta? I can accept Deadpool is of course.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if people have postulated on this already, but how/why does the 20th century fox logo exist physically in the desert? Is the void itself self aware and meta? I can accept Deadpool is of course.
If you really need an explanation, maybe a giant physical version of the logo existed in some universe that got pruned. Alternatively, perhaps the void does contain some level of self-awareness and escaping the confines of the Marvel multiverse like She-Hulk did when she met K.E.V.I.N. in her finale? There's some fanfic waiting to happen.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Edit: Oh and a dad in front of me brought his 6 year old. It was weird. The kid wasn't too disruptive, just quietly talking and asking what's going on. Then the kid got bored and asked his dad if they could go home so they left.
I hope they left before the 2nd Nicepool scene near the end of the film. Seeing his headless corpse being dragged around would've permanently scarred me as a 6-year-old lol.

Even today it left me feeling squicky. I really don't like gratuitous gore, but the comedy tone the Deadpool films take allows me to tolerate it.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I probably missed a very obvious explanation, but why exactly did the other hundred Deadpools want to kill ours within seconds of seeing him, and not each other?

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Saw it today, was a really fun movie. The Chris Evans thing made me laugh I didn't expect that shit at all lmao. Curious to see where it goes from here and how Thor ends up holding Deadpool.

What's up with the dead Antman though?

Last edited:

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
My work did a showing of Twisters for all of our employees, and I got suckered into passing the "popcorn and drink" tickets out for the gathering, so I was sitting up by the ticket lady at our theater.

Apparently that theater doesn't allow anyone under the age of 16 into rated R movies after 6 p.m. no matter if they have a parent.

I shit you not, that ticket lady had to turn away like 40 people who wanted to take their little kids into Deadpool and Wolverine while I was sitting there, I couldn't believe it. I'm talking little kids like 5 years old at times. People were cussing at her and getting all worked up because little 7 year old Johnny couldn't go see the movie.

Why on earth would the theatre refuse access to kids if they're with a guardian? The cinema chain has no business telling parents what their kids should watch.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the Thor bit was a jokey fake spoiler, I think it's just reusing footage of Dark World with Deadpool in place of Loki.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Why on earth would the theatre refuse access to kids if they're with a guardian? The cinema chain has no business telling parents what their kids should watch.

Movie ratings are completely voluntary in the US, there is no law associated with any of them. However, legal recourse can be taken against theaters who allow minors into movies without supervision. (For instance, you let a kid into a movie with nudity in it)

So a lot of theaters just blanket ban children from seeing rated R movie as there is no way to guarantee the person bringing them into the theater is their "parent or legal guardian" as recommended by the MPAA rating.

A lot of theaters don't allow kids after certain hours.