• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 85-100

Votes: 53 4.9%
  • 80-84

Votes: 36 3.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 160 14.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 274 25.2%
  • 65-69

Votes: 335 30.8%
  • 60-65

Votes: 102 9.4%
  • under 60

Votes: 128 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (56)
OpenCritic (61)

Jim Sterling (no score, video review)

Whitney Plays (no score, video review)

Polygon (no score):
The Last of Us 2 has plot twists, but Deadly Premonition 2 takes place in a world that's always twisted. Not knowing what to expect next and going along for the ride trumps technical ability in this case. (Yes, I'm straight-up defending a game that runs like garbage.) While some games want to shock us with violence, other games like Deadly Premonition 2 want us to question everything, and there's something both cosmically frightening and utterly delightful about that end goal. I mean, who does that?

I don't think I quite get it yet, though. I may never get it. But I'm a detective, and still I'm on the case.

Kotaku (no score):
From a technical standpoint, Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is a mess, but Deadly Premonition isn't about nailing the technical details. Game director Hidetaka "Swery" Suehiro makes games like Troma Entertainment's Lloyd Kaufman makes movies. They're messy, sloppy, and unmistakably low budget, but there's a charm there that fosters a strong cult following and keeps fans coming back for more. Deadly Premonition 2's got that trashy magic in spades.

Eurogamer (no score):
The inimitable Agent Morgan is undoubtedly Deadly Premonition 2's saving grace, and, truthfully, I'd happily endure its frequent tedium all over again just to spend more time together; it's just a shame that his long-awaited return couldn't be marked by a more inspiring adventure.

The Verge (no score):
As a Deadly Premonition game, I have to say that A Blessing In Disguise hits the spot. If you liked what was actually good about the predecessor — the writing, the sense of humor, and the multilayered plot — this is a reasonable sequel. I just wish it had improved on the things that weren't so great instead of leaning into them.

Nintendad (no score, video):
I made sure to come to Deadly Premonition 2 with an open mind. The director, Swery65, is always mentioned for the "games as art" discussion. This is without a shadow of a doubt the weirdest game I have ever played, but its also a game that kept me glued! From the overly gamey aspects to the downright absurd layers in the story, I couldn't help but keep moving forward. This isn't a perfect game, but it is perfectly flawed. For those gamers that want to be challenged by what a game is, look no further than Deadly Premonition 2. It truly is a blessing in disguise. On the same note, for those who love the oddball and quirky writing of David Lynch (Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet), you owe it to yourself to experience this.

DEAD XP (no score):
This is sure to be a divisive game. I would say that half the players of Deadly Premonition 2 will hate it, and half will love it. Deadly Premonition was lightning in a bottle, an inexplicably shitty game that was also almost perfect. To recapture that ethos is an impossible task, but overall I think Swery came as close as he could to recreate the magical experience.

Entertainium (no score):
As a fan of the world of Deadly Premonition, problems aside I was happy to get to see Agent Morgan's continuing adventures (as both York or Zach) and find out how crazier and crazier things could get in yet another game in the series. With that in mind, I could only truly recommend this to anyone who's in the same camp and are up for another go at the sort of game that it is, or to someone who's new to the franchise and has got their expectations in check, is in the right mindset, and willing to overlook its host of serious technical issues and design decisions that can and do get in the way of enjoying the unique flavor of absurdity that it delivers.

Digitally Downloaded (5/5):
I've seen some people describe Deadly Premonition 2 as the "anti-The Last Of Us 2". While that's a comparison of convenience more than anything because they've been released so close to one another, it's actually apt because they do sit at the extreme opposite ends of a spectrum. The Last of Us 2 epitomises everything about overly-produced, mass market-friendly content that many of us are becoming exhausted with. SWERY, knowing full well that his game will be castigated on Metacritic and widely mocked, has satirised every mainstream expectation of a video game in Deadly Premonition 2. There's nothing that suggests that anything within this game is not an entirely deliberate, surrealistic subversion of expectations, and while Deadly Premonition 2 is not for everyone (and potentially offensive to some), games as an art form are better off having works like this to exist in parallel to mainstream entertainment.

Arcadeberry (95/100):
It may a be a little rough around the edges but the game provides series fans with exactly what they would want from a sequel whilst still, almost incredibly, wholly subverting expectations. It supersedes the original in some respects whilst simultaneously significantly lacking in others but nevertheless provides a suitable vessel for Agent Francis York Morgan, one of the most brilliantly written characters in videogame history, to make a triumphant return. I've never known a game to have a more fitting tagline than Deadly Premonition 2 which, on the whole, can rightfully be described as nothing short of "a blessing in disguise".

DualShockers (9/10):
Anyways, Deadly Premonition 2 is exactly the same. It's a game that feels like it has never played any games released after the original. It doesn't care about frame rate or good controls. It's made a few changes to the overall formula but mostly casts aside the advances game design has made in the last ten years. Deadly Premonition 2 just wants to tell its story, tell it well, and be its own weird, little self. Your ability to either live with that or not will determine how deeply you fall in love with the citizens of Le Carre.

We Got This Covered (4.5/5):
While Deadly Premonition 2 suffers from technical shortcomings, the oddball characters, endearing dialogue, disturbing atmosphere, and emotional rollercoaster-like story are where its artistic elements shine through the brightest. Simply put: If you're a fan of the original, you'll love this.

God is a Geek (8.5/10, video):
A worthy sequel to the 2010 cult classic, Deadly Premonition 2 retains the series trademark charm with its oddball characters and outlandish story. The open world frame-rate isn't good enough, but if you can overlook that there's plenty of intrigue and laughs to be found in Le Carre.

WellPlayed (8.5/10):
Deadly Premonition 2 delivers exactly what fans have been craving for years. More of that iconic style, more of its downright kooky cast of characters, and more of its dark and twisted paranormal horror. If you've played the original game, you owe it to yourself to play this as well. In fact, it's absolutely bonkers how much this game resembles its predecessor – for better and for worse.

Hobby Consolas (85/100, review in Spanish, video):
An adventure that, like the original, you won't know if it's a joke. You'll love it, or hate it. Unpolish, rough around edges... but still an adventure unique on its own ways. If you connect with it, you'll enjoy it till the end, with a delightful script, crazy situations that will hook you on and all the crazyness you can hope from Francis York.

Cerealkillerz (8.5/10, review in German):
Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is as hard to recommend as the previous title. Newcomers won't be welcomed with open arms and will probably hate the controls, the graphics and story. Fans of the first game will still find everything they loved from the previous title including a great atmosphere and the bizarre characters.

GameCritics (8/10):
It's a bold, funny, scary, unbelievably intense way of getting closure for the previous game. As such, it's a masterpiece that's difficult to recommend because it can only be fully appreciated by those who are already deeply invested in Zach's story. Still, I have to recommend it because it provides a more powerful ending to the Deadly Premonition story than I ever would have expected, and a better experience than we probably deserve.

Destructoid (8/10, video):
It's a weird game to review because so many people are going to expect drastically different things. How many games force you to shave and send your clothes up for dry cleaning? How many times can you say that you hexed an old widow so that you could go bowling in the past...oh say decade or so? Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is another trip. You've been warned.

TechRaptor (8/10):
Deadly Premonition 2 is a great follow up to a beloved cult classic. It has an intriguing story and eccentric quirks, but feels safer on the gameplay side of things.

GameByte (8/10):
Though it's about as far from a technical masterpiece as you can get in 2020, it has more style and heart than most of the AAA experiences on the market right now, with genuine laugh-out-loud moments. I maxed out my Switch memory card with screenshots of absurd dialogue, bizarre encounters and nonsensical segues, proving that this is hands-down one of the must-play games of the year. I was just a couple of hours into the game, scribbling notes for this review when I wrote: "The game has no business being as good as it is!!!!" All the way until the end of the game, this remained completely true.

Vooks (4/5):
Ultimately, Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing In Disguise is not about what you can tolerate but what you can accept. If you think you can look past the broken in service of a great story, this might not be for you. If you can embrace and enjoy the tedium, the bugs, the weird tone, the absurdity - you may have a new favourite title. I'll remember this one for a while.

IGN Spain (8/10, review in Spanish):
The sequel to Hidetaka "Swery65" Suehiro's most memorable creation rests entirely on the same things that made the former a cult game. For better and for worse.

GamingBoulevard (8/10):
In conclusion, Deadly Premonition 2 is a great game once it clicks and the entire time I just wanted to solve the crime to see what was next!

Switch Player (4/5):
Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise somehow manages to recapture all the magic of the beloved cult favourite. As long as you can handle jank, you should thoroughly enjoy your peculiar adventure through the Deep South.

GAMES.CH (79/100, review in German):
Narrative-wise Deadly Premonition 2 confronts you with a plot that starts slow, but then develops it's very own fascination and stands out with strong characters. Everyone who loves video games with typical B-movie flair should give the title a chance. All others wait until the developers patch the severe performance issues.

COGconnected (73/100):
B-movie aficionados will fall in love with this title. Like the films it has been influenced by, TOYBOX Inc. has kept the unpolished, anti-establishment feel of the game in honour of those auteurs who go by their own rules. As a result, you are left with a diamond in the rough which rightfully will deter some gamers. Fans of the original will not be disappointed with a trip to Le Carre whereas newcomers may feel like the game is not only set in 2005, but created then, too.

GAMINGbible (7/10):
The truth is Deadly Premonition 2 is like watching Nicolas Cage act: an incredibly divisive experience. There are things it does well and there are things it apparently doesn't. There are even elements of it where you just can't tell whether it's genius or nonsense. No video game has ever been so good and so bad at the same time. Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise intentionally walks the line between sublime and subpar in the spirit of classic B movies, all the while having self-aware fun with the medium of video gaming.

GRYOnline.pl (7/10, review in Polish):
Dear developers, you can't treat us like this. Deadly Premonition 2 has a great story with excellent characters that are held back by an abysmally bad technical side. Fans will accept this and have fun. Everyone else will avoid DP2 at all costs.

Nintendo Life (7/10, video):
Veterans of the first game won't be expecting a technical tour-de-force, but Deadly Premonition 2 still manages to underwhelm in pure performance terms. However (and this is a big however), it's a game with real character and it's very tough to dislike, even as you stutter your way around Le Carré on your skateboard. If you've ever been intrigued by the original, we'd recommend giving this a go. It's janky and derivative, yes, but it's also irresistibly wonderful and strange, and there's no other video game quite like it.

TheSixthAxis (7/10):
Deadly Premonition 2 feels like a step forward from the first game. It still has the same quirky and unusual humour, but this sequel brings with it improved combat and better visuals. It's a shame it's held back by poor performance on Nintendo Switch, but fans of the original are going to love Deadly Premonition 2, the city of Le Carrè and the story it has to tell.

CGMagazine (7/10):
As bad as this is, it's not enough to dissuade me from playing or recommending the game. Deadly Premonition 2 is so out there, so dedicated to crafting an experience that nothing has come close to recreating in a decade, that it's weirdly admirable. I'm still thinking about it long after I've beaten it, and for those who fell in love with the original, the sequel is everything you're looking for. And for those who haven't experienced this game yet, give it a shot — you might be surprised by what you'd find. Deadly Premonition 2 is consistently entertaining despite its faults, and I had a great time playing it.

IGN Italia (7/10, review in Italian):
Deadly Premonition 2 is a real hymn to the principle that "graphics aren't everything". Stopping at the disastrous graphics of the game could deprive you of a very interesting experience, especially if you loved the first chapter. Narratively rich in cues and revelations, this sequel by TOYBOX is expressly dedicated to fans of the first Deadly Premonition, of which it captures history, characters and suggestions. Difficult, otherwise, to fully enjoy the one element that barely holds the entire production together: a fascinating story, framed by a surreal aura, deliberately over the top and quoting to the point of exhaustion.

Siliconera (7/10):
Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is exactly the sequel to Deadly Premonition a fan of the original should expect. This is a game that really respects the player's intelligence, but puts a lot of faith into their willingness to keep an open mind. This is a game with its head thoroughly up its own ass, but in a way that can be really endearing if you come at it from the right perspective. In fact, the whole game's subtext seems to be about exactly that: the benefits of living outside the box. I wouldn't recommend Deadly Premonition 2 as a starting point, because it feels like it heavily relies on you already being in on it. It's possible you just click and vibe with it right away, but unless you're already a fan or enjoyed the first enough to want more, it might be safer to check out Deadly Premonition Origins first.

Gamereactor (7/10):
Like its predecessor, Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is an experience that probably shouldn't be given a score at all, so bear that in mind when considering the number below. It's a game that is hard not to recommend, but at the same time, it's the opposite. Solving mysteries and following the story is great, but the game engine is bad, the game is littered with technical problems, and missions are either great or horrible. And still, despite all this, I have to say that I enjoyed my time while playing through Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise. It is, for a lack of a better description, a blessing in disguise.

Final Weapon (3.5/5):
Deadly Premonition 2 is a worthy follow-up to ts predecessor. The charms of Swery's brand of storytelling are all present, and at no point does this game feel that its forcing itself to compete with the original. It instead builds around the original in order to lead this story to a satisfying conclusion.

With the promise of future patches on the horizon to address performance issues, this is a game that just may get better with time.

SpazioGames (6.9/10, review in Italian):
Deadly Premonition is worth the wait for the fans of the first chapter, but it's an overall worst game than that one was and it still retains many of the original problems, such as a weak technical and clunky gameplay.

Press Start Australia (6.5/10):
Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing In Disguise is an earnest attempt to conclude the story told in the original game ten years ago. It's engaging, the characters are a joy to observe, and the trademark zaniness is as intact as ever. Unfortunately, it's hard to deny that the game's egregious performance issue hinders it from standing on the shoulders of it's predecessor.

Vandal (6.5/10, review in Spanish):
This is an unlikely sequel that inherits all the good things about the first one, like a great story and a charismatic protagonist, but also repeats the same mistakes, even making them worse sometimes, becoming very tedious at times.

Easy Allies (6/10, video review)

Trusted Reviews (3/5):
Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is a transcendent pile of garbage. It's both strikingly ambitious and laughably incompetent in every regard, which is somewhat fitting given the iconic status of its predecessor. But all the campy brilliance aside, it's difficult to overlook its monolithic performance problems and decrepit approach to game design, all of which hold it back from being something truly special. Ignorant attitudes towards LGBT identities only further feelings towards it, even if I genuinely adore much of what's on offer here.

Everyeye.it (6/10, review in Italian, video):
Those who loved Deadly Premonition will probably also appreciate A Blessing in Disguise, a game that, despite the change of rhythm and style, exudes Swery's signature signature from every pixel. Many new players will only be perplexed in the face of such an anachronistic hodgepodge, while the fans of the Japanese author will complete the adventure amused by his strong authorship. What is certain is that the charm of the first chapter has not been replicated as we would have hoped: net of its evident flaws, this second episode still has its own gritty b-movie personality, full of potential, unfortunately, strongly unexpressed.

STACK (3/5):
Deadly Premonition 2 is buggy, weird, boring, hilarious, offensive… and it couldn't be a truer sequel to the original game if it tried. It's quite impossible to recommend, but much like the first game, it's really something that you've got to see to believe.

Hardcore Gamer (3/5):
In the end, a traditional review may be rather pointless, since the Deadly Premonition games operate on the same level as a film such as The Return of Captain Invincible (possibly the lone cult '80s film that York shockingly doesn't reference): something that operates on a completely different plane of reality than the rest of us, one where the mere notions of "good" and "bad" don't really apply. So the better question would simply be "is this just an entertaining game overall?" And in that case, the answer would be yes, Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is an entertaining game. How one derives entertainment from it is up to each individual, mind you, but despite technical hiccups and awkward moments, the gleefully bizarre characters, twisted and intriguing story, quirky dialogue and loads of fun content to fiddle around with in Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise provides an experience worth checking out, albeit one you may find yourself questioning at certain points.

But Why Tho? (6/10):
Ultimately, I had a lot of fun during my time with Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise after I was able to shut my brain off and simply go along for the janky skateboard ride through Le Carré. I found it to be charming and maybe I'm just a mark for garbage games, but I can see this having the same life as it's predecessor if people decide to give it a shot and embrace this insane mystery.

3DNews (6/10, review in Russian):
Hey, Zack, we are not perfect. Yet again. But hey, we are among one of the most unusual games released in recent years. Deadly Premonition 2 is charismatic, atmospheric, but definitely not for all. Fine with us.

Wccftech (5.5/10):
Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is as bonkers as you'd expect and fans will no doubt enjoy catching up with Agent York, but a lack of atmosphere, dull action, serious technical issues, and the creeping sense that Swery is becoming a touch too self-aware conspire to kill the fun. Deadly Premonition 2 is for the hardcores – most other folks can safely close their investigation after finishing the first game.

Rely On Horror (5.5/10):
It's a very hard task to follow up such an iconic cult classic as the original Deadly Premonition and satisfy the high-expectations by fans. Speaking as one of those fans, the sophomore slump hits pretty hard, even if there is a great story and immeasurable charm underneath all of Deadly Premonition 2's issues.

Nintendo Enthusiast (5.5/10, video):
Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is charmingly awful and will stand out as a morbid curiosity among the pantheon of Nintendo Switch exclusives. As a sequel, it stays true to the original by accidentally inheriting its almost exact flaws. In certain aspects it's better, and in others it's much worse. I found the combat to be more palatable while the performance and glitches were difficult to stomach.

The repeated ambition to swing for the fences on an open-world experience still doesn't do these games any favors either. But there's something admirable in a game that tries to do so much with so little, and it still provides an entertainingly bizarre and twisty narrative that has to be seen to be believed. I recommend those who haven't played and survived the first game to steer clear, however, as both the built-up fortitude and previous plotlines are necessary to properly navigate the dysfunctional mysteries in Le Carré. However, the existing fanbase will be more than happy with FBI Agent Francis York Morgan's latest outing, as it adds another unintentionally terrible sequel to the canon.

Nintendo World Report (5.5/10, video):
The hardest part about reviewing Deadly Premonition 2 is that in a lot of ways it's exactly what fans of the first game wanted. It's a broken mess that controls like a dog on roller blades that looks ugly and runs even worse, with the bizarrely charming writing that only somebody like Swery65 could bring to the table. Nobody in Le Carré feels quite Greenvale levels of weird, but they're all a bunch of weirdos all the same. Well, except David, he'd fit in Greenvale pretty well. If you like the first Deadly Premonition you likely already know what you want and what you're getting into, and you'll likely be pretty happy with this sequel. Your everyday average player should probably weigh how much jank they're willing to put up with before giving this game a shot, though.

33bits (55/100, review in Spanish):
Deadly Premonition 2 is a failed sequel that completely loses perspective on those elements that made the first installment special. Its history and high doses of fan service still retain enough charm to satisfy many of its staunchest followers, but many others will be disappointed to have waited ten years to receive a product that is not only inferior to its predecessor, but in large part a betrayal of its spirit.

GameSpot (5/10, video):
If you can get past its performance, there are glimpses of a good story here, and moments that make it a worthy installment in the Francis Zach Morgan saga. But, ultimately, Deadly Premonition 2 lacks the emotional resonance found in the first game. It's a different brew of coffee from your favorite roaster, but one that's more bitter than you probably hoped for.

IGN (5/10, video):
Deadly Premonition 2 isn't good, nor is it so bad that it's good (like it's predecessor). It's something much, much worse: it's mediocre. And that's too bad. I'm certainly grateful for the chance to spend some more time with the eccentric and ever enthusiastic Francis York Morgan, because he remains one of the funniest and most unique lead characters in all of gaming. But I found myself less tolerant of Deadly Premonition 2's technical issues and half-baked combat this time around, and its central mystery is ridiculous without ever going far enough off the rails to be truly surprising or memorable.

Game Informer (5/10):
Much like the victim at the center of its story, Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise feels like a lifeless relic frozen in ice.

My Nintendo News (5/10):
Fans of the original from 10 years ago, or Origins that released on Switch last year, will most certainly enjoy what's on offer. Newcomers, however, will find it hard to look past its many flaws even if the storytelling is compelling and the conclusion is ridiculously extravagant. Deadly Premonition 2 is up there with Travis Strikes Back levels of weirdness, but much like Suda 51's hack 'n' slash Switch exclusive, Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise isn't really a blessing for Nintendo's hybrid console. If this second title in the Deadly Premonition series sacrificed its Switch exclusivity and had more development time, it may have been saved from being a sloppy mess that doesn't deserve its otherwise fantastic story and loveable cast of characters.

Gameblog (5/10, review in French):
Deadly Premonition 2 : A Blessing In Disguise is a sequel for to the fans of the first game and them only. They endure the toughness of this episode to discover the true story behind it.

Atomix (50/100, review in Spanish):
What is a bad game? Well, maybe the answer can be tricky, but Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is a good start. In case it was not clear, I do not recommend playing this title, especially in its current state.

Metro GameCentral (5/10):
The saddest thing about Deadly Premonition 2 is that it's become what everyone accused the original of: it really is so bad it's good. Although not in the sense that you'd ever want to play it yourself. There's a lot of funny stuff in the game, and we're sure streamers and YouTubers will have a field day with it, but the unlikely balance that made the first game so compelling, both in spite of and because of its technical failings, has been lost. It's still not as bad as it looks – it's hard to imagine anything could be – but lightning has not struck twice.

Areajugones (5/10, review in Spanish):
The problem with Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is that it aspires to be a cult work from the first moment, something quite pedantic on the part of its author, who wants to repeat the pattern of the original title: an unfinished, poorly done video game, which stands out simply for its great argument.

Impulsegamer (2.5/5):
Deadly Premonition is both very hard and very easy to recommend. For fans of the series it's a no-brainer. It's another 30 hours with York and his gang of nutty friends. The story is Twin Peaks meets True Detective put through several extra filters of oddness. For newcomers to the series the gameplay, graphics, animation and loading times may simply be insurmountable obstacles. For those that can look past it there are so many interesting ideas at play and the game can be genuine fun. In short it sucks, but it may also be one of the more interesting games of the year. It's destined to be a Let's Play classic.

3DJuegos (5/10, review in Spanish):
Deadly Premonition 2 is not as surprising as the original. York and Zach are still there and are adorable, but a predictable plot and a lack of surprise and risk does not compensate all the technical issues. Not this time.

Nintendo Insider (5/10):
Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing In Disguise is another messy, frustrating and at times broken experience… but then again so was the first game. The story once again is a highlight with a cast of strangely acting characters sure to make you chuckle or downright confused. Unfortunately, seeing the tale unfold is slowed massively with dull and tedious quests aplenty. Big fans of the original will likely find exactly what they're looking for here but for others, there are just too many issues technical or otherwise sure to prevent you from actually enjoying yourself.

GamingBolt (5/10):
In spite of the bevy of criticisms I leveled at it, it's still a game I feel fans of the original game will enjoy – just not as much as they did the first one. It's still got oodles of charm and off-beat humor, the story, while diminished in its impact, still has some great moments (especially as it moves towards its resolution), and it feels nice to get to spend some more time with Morgan. If you liked the original, you will still find something in this one to your liking – maybe you'll even get more out of it than I did. If you didn't particularly appreciate the original, or never even got around to playing it, but got intrigued by the sequel once it got prominently featured in a Nintendo Direct, stop. This is not the game for you. Go play something else instead.

GameMAG (5/10, review in Russian):
Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise could have been a good game and a worthy successor to the original, if the developers did not try to copy "True Detective" (unsuccessfully), but create more interesting characters and non-standard atmospheric stories. Future patches can fix the framerate, errors and bugs, but they can't change the artificially prolonged plot and a very limited number of characters. And this is completely disappointing.

SECTOR.sk (5/10, review in Slovak):
Deadly Premnition 2 is a greatly written horror adventure with a really terrible performance. It's almost unplayable.

PowerUp! (4.5/10):
Mileage is very obviously going to vary on a game like Deadly Premonition 2 and I genuinely believe that should be embraced. For all of my (gameplay) criticisms, there will be another for whom they are points in the game's favour and to them I say, have a blast. The shooting is janky, the combat repetitive and the open-world mechanics and survival elements entirely underbaked but if you're charmed enough by the world you're probably gonna love this.

That said, the game is plagued by unavoidably problematic writing and character work which for others, like myself, is too high a barrier to overcome. Those representation issues are very real and paired with the distinct dip in overall quality from the first game makes me question if Deadly Premonition 2 was even in on its own joke.

Jeuxvideo.com (9/20, review in French):
From the top of its intrigue as twisty as the meanders of the bayous, Deadly Premonition 2 is surely the best bad game of recent years.

VGC (2/5, video):
Fans of the original Deadly Premonition need not worry: this sequel's tone is spot on, offering another delightfully delirious adventure in absurdity. Unfortunately, its technical issues are among the worst of any reasonably high-profile game in living memory: this will drastically affect the enjoyment factor for all but the most die-hard devotees.

Critical Hit (4/10):
Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise wants to revel and self-praise its own absurdist nature, but at the end of the day the actual game attached to all the strange dialogue, mechanics and gameplay is painfully frustrating.

Rocket Chainsaw (2/5):
Overall, Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing In Disguise is exactly the game you expected it would be. A largely broken and mechanically mediocre game that manages to somewhat redeem itself thanks to its quirky characters and engaging story. If you're able to look past the game's many faults, you'll certainly find an interesting story to experience. Otherwise, you're likely to be left totally underwhelmed.

GameOver.gr (4/10, review in Greek):
A truly missed opportunity that treads in the (wrong) footsteps of its predecessor, full of bugs, poor graphics and problematic gameplay.

Screen Rant (2/5):
In many ways, Deadly Premonition 2 is an indefensibly, almost insistently bad video game. It is so poorly made that it's hard to believe it just came out in 2020, especially as the sequel to a game with an established fan following. However, it's unlikely that any of this will surprise or deter the kind of person who is already interested in Deadly Premonition. Swery's delightfully harebrained storytelling definitely makes this another trip worth taking, but for those who haven't experienced the series yet, it's strongly recommend playing the original game first. If a player is on board after that, Deadly Premonition 2 is for certainly more of the same.

Multiplayer.it (4/10, review in Italian):
Too many expectations that the game can't deliver.

Nintenderos (3.5/10, review in Spanish):
Art is usually misunderstood, and of course we're open to all kinds of experiences, but none of them can justify the poor performance that Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise has on Nintendo Switch.

Pocket Gamer UK (1.5/5):
You have to be a die-hard Deadly Premonition fan to understand what the hell's going on in the first place, but even then you'll hate this game. It definitely hates you. It's a game that's one big cosmic joke that you're not in on, laughing at you as you force your way through its 16-hour campaign. Don't even buy it to see how bad it gets. Just leave it well alone.

GameSpew (3/10):
Ultimately, Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise just isn't acceptable in this day and age. There's simply no reason why a game should perform this badly. Try as you might, it's hard to thoroughly enjoy something that's such a technical mess. If you're a glutton for punishment and want to spend more time with the most bizarre protagonist in video games, go right ahead. But don't say that you haven't been warned. It isn't a blessing, it's a disappointment.

Noisy Pixel (3/10):
Deadly Premonition 2 might be fun for a tiny group of gamers, but I had a terrible time drudging through it. The B-movie esque plot and narrative scenes can be enjoyable in a cringy sort of way, but everything from the graphics to the controls makes it insanely hard to enjoy. Instead of wasting 20 hours with this game, I'd say you're better off just going back and replaying Deadly Premonition.

USgamer (1/5):
Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing In Disguise is hard to love, even by the standards set by its predecessor. In leaving Greenvale behind for a style of prequel and sequel storytelling split across Louisiana and Boston, Deadly Premonition 2 jettisons the much of what made the original charming (along with some interesting mechanics and variety) in favor of an empty town and a story that serves up tropes and bits of lore that do little to enhance or build upon what made the original fascinating. All the while, terrible performance makes it more of a slog than its uninspired ideas and pacing do on their own.

TheGamer (0/5):
Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing In Disguise is a broken game on multiple levels. Its narrative is broken, in that its interesting core mystery fails to engage due to the most agonizing delivery possible. Its ideologies are broken, as it seems to think trans people are evil, women are weak, and black people are sentient stereotypes. The rest of it – the abysmal gameplay, unacceptable performance, tendency to crash – is no better.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
for reference:

referencecopyt6kph.png

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
60 meta critic and it's going to be great

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
There will be two types of reviews.
Those who played DP and knew what they are getting into.
Those who never played DP and wondering the fuck are they playing.
Mix performance issues in both.

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
I'm guessing 60 too. But the jankiness and the performance drop are really part of the experience at this point lol

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
some of DP's popularity's gonna push it up i think. def 60-70, potentially <60 if it's a technical disaster as it might be.

ill be here for it regardless. gimme that red ass metascore swery, we in

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
There will be two types of reviews.
Those who played DP and knew what they are getting into.
Those who never played DP and wondering the fuck are they playing.
Mix performance issues in both.

I'm still expecting a mixed bag and I played the original and enjoyed it for the most part. The characters are weird and interesting, the story is bizarre and goes some strange places but a lot of the actual gameplay can be an absolute chore. Just driving the car around in the first game felt like punishment lol

Oct 25, 2017
Can I hassle someone (the OT or DM) to help me with the PC version (actually, the mod DPfix).

I found my old save file but the mod hasn't installed........well I won't say correctly because I know better. I should just rip the band-aid off and remove the mod.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
I'm still expecting a mixed bag and I played the original and enjoyed it for the most part. The characters are weird and interesting, the story is bizarre and goes some strange places but a lot of the actual gameplay can be an absolute chore. Just driving the car around in the first game felt like punishment lol

ya'll crazy, the car was the best part. all those wild ass convos, that strangely homey feel, love it

Deleted member 20852

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Deadly Premonition 2 |OT| Francis York Morgan's Pro Skater

I don't care about the review scores as they are bound to be low due to the technical performance. I'm still interested in the reviews to see how the story and characters work. The gameplay I've seen hasn't been very promising in that regard either, but I hope to be completely wrong about this.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I meant actually driving the car. In general any time you had to do anything besides just wandering around exploring it was an obtrusive chore.
I'm playing through the original right now and I repeated episode 1 chapter 2 a few times to unlock fast travel to minimise on the amount of driving I'd have to do and to unlock some of the unbreakable weapons so combat is a breeze. I'm in this for the story haha

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I know fans will go "it's meant to be bad" but goddamn does the footage of this game look bad. Wacky off-the-wall atmosphere can only take you so far.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through the original right now and I repeated episode 1 chapter 2 a few times to unlock fast travel to minimise on the amount of driving I'd have to do and to unlock some of the unbreakable weapons so combat is a breeze. I'm in this for the story haha
once you get to chapter 7, you can upgrade your car by doing side missions 40 to 43, those really help improve driving. you can replay that chapter over and over (it's really short) to get it all done very quickly. use this guide if you want more help.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I love DP, like a lot....and I understand that jank is actually part of it but the fps looks rough, really rough and not sure I can stomach that right now

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Going to be a more peaceful review thread than any other game so far even if it scores in the thirties