• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
The Riverdale line was specially funny considering one of the actors is in this show (Lochlyn Munro, who plays Betty's dad in Riverdale)

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think there's also going to be a character moment between her and Chris, given that his father and her mom are shitty people who push their kids into their agendas.
Wow, Waller compared to White Dragon, I have seen it all. Maybe pushing her daughter, but Waller's shittiness (which the movies exaggerate and unlike the comics you never see her true perspective) is based on her having one of the worst jobs in the world, literally selling her soul and getting blood on her hands (and it's DC comics with aliens and powers and stuff,it's not real world "pre-emptive" tactics, in Suicide Squad Waller and Task Force X have literally saved the world more times than I can count when no one else could or would) so that others do not have to. It's the end justifies the means, and in Wallers case that old chestnut rings true.

And some if it is adaption differences, comics Waller would still have wanted the hard drive evidence, but she wouldn't have cut and run she definitely would have given the orders to take Starro out. That's the whole point. To take out the world ending threats that no one else is or can. Same reason Task Force X is made up of meta criminals, they are suicide missions where everyone is expendable because a lot of the time if they fail the mission objective the whole world is fucked.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah who in their right mind would think that James Gun would have a a bunch of horribly flawed and/or abused comic people come together over shared asshole parent trauma to form a new family unit

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Waller compared to White Dragon, I have seen it all. Maybe pushing her daughter, but Waller's shittiness (which the movies exaggerate and unlike the comics you never see her true perspective) is based on her having one of the worst jobs in the world, literally selling her soul and getting blood on her hands (and it's DC comics with aliens and powers and stuff,it's not real world pre-emotive tactics, in Suicide Squad Waller and Task Force X have literally saved the world more times than I can count when no one else could or would) so that others do not have to. It's the end justifies the means, and in Wallers case that old chestnut rings true.

And some if it is adaption differences, comics Waller would still have wanted the hard drive evidence, but she wouldn't have cut and run she definitely would have given the orders to take Starro out. That's the whole point. To take out the world ending threats that no one else is or can. Same reason Task Force X is made up of meta criminals, they are suicide missions where everyone is expendable because a lot of the time if they fail the mission objective the whole world is fucked.
It's funny in like her original appearance and dcau she has much humanity than her later appearance
Like in Ostrander run she does keep her word, she's an evil hardass but does show she has some care for the people under her like she wouldn't have done in Ayer film execute her whole team for no reason especially in the dcau (that part of the ayer film felt it exists for shock value because it makes no sense when you think about it)
She also has a lot more introspection in Ostrander run

She's still an huge asshole some adaptations and later appearance loses some of the nuance

Though Gunn Waller doesn't seem abusive at all she's evil but her relationship with her daughter seems amicable where White Dragon is completely toxic

But still i can see some common ground over having less than perfect parents even if White Dragon makes Waller looks like Superman

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's funny in like her original appearance and dcau she has much humanity than her later appearance
Like in Ostrander run she does keep her word, she's an evil hardass but does show she has some care for the people under her like she wouldn't have done in Ayer film execute her whole team for no reason especially in the dcau (that part of the ayer film felt it exists for shock value because it makes no sense when you think about it)
She also has a lot more introspection in Ostrander run

She's still an huge asshole some adaptations and later appearance loses some of the nuance

Though Gunn Waller doesn't seem abusive at all she's evil but her relationship with her daughter seems amicable where White Dragon is completely toxic

But still i can see some common ground over having less than perfect parents even if White Dragon makes Waller looks like Superman
Yeah it's nuanced is all I was trying to say, not a 1:1 comparison.

I also like to point out that in the majority of the good stuff she has actually earned and enjoyed Deadshot's respect and loyalty, to the point he shot a senator to save Rick Flagg's out of control ass.

The adaption thing that I hate the most actually is Flagg dying, I always liked him and while one movie was shit and the other he died I really thought Joel Kinnaman was great in the role, and bonus points to Gunn for teh comic accurate outfit.

Nov 27, 2020
Wow, Waller compared to White Dragon, I have seen it all. Maybe pushing her daughter, but Waller's shittiness (which the movies exaggerate and unlike the comics you never see her true perspective) is based on her having one of the worst jobs in the world, literally selling her soul and getting blood on her hands (and it's DC comics with aliens and powers and stuff,it's not real world "pre-emptive" tactics, in Suicide Squad Waller and Task Force X have literally saved the world more times than I can count when no one else could or would) so that others do not have to. It's the end justifies the means, and in Wallers case that old chestnut rings true.

I mean, there are obviously degrees there, but Waller, at least as presented in the DCEU, is far from a saint. All I'm saying is there may be some common ground that the show could explore.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, there are obviously degrees there, but Waller, at least as presented in the DCEU, is far from a saint. All I'm saying is there may be some common ground that the show could explore.
I do agree that Leota and Chris have the most common ground and I think that's her main arc, is does she want to be her mother, the planted diary alone is tearing her apart.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Yeah who in their right mind would think that James Gun would have a a bunch of horribly flawed and/or abused comic people come together over shared asshole parent trauma to form a new family unit
Next thing you'll tell me that he he'll make a tree and a talking raccoon one of the the most popular characters in comics.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Kite-Man would be perfect for this show.
Kind of wish they didn't make Kite-Man a historical encounter. I kind of like KJ Apa for the role, partially because I think he could pull off the character, b) so there can be "one of those cunts from Riverdale" in the show.

Acceptable alternatives:
Anthony Starr
Owen Wilson
CM Punk

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Kind of wish they didn't make Kite-Man a historical encounter. I kind of like KJ Apa for the role, partially because I think he could pull off the character, b) so there can be "one of those cunts from Riverdale" in the show.

Acceptable alternatives:
Anthony Starr
Owen Wilson
CM Punk

Hopefully it's a hint of what to come, enemies escape quite often from their prison in the DC Universe. The Gorilla was also hinted at in one of the news clips on television.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I liked TSS, but not enough to be in a rush to watch this.

But I started last week and man, it is pretty fucking good! Talked about to death I assume, but Cena's absolutely killing it, he's genuinely hilarious and has tons of charisma and, sure enough, heart. The cast as a whole is fantastic, especially Vigilante. I'm sad that I'm getting so attached to these guys, some fucked up shit is about to happen lmao (just finished Episode 4).

Also, I feel almost as bad as Peacemaker whenever he remembers Flagg's death. I want him back, quite liked him :(

Best intro too.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I liked TSS, but not enough to be in a rush to watch this.

But I started last week and man, it is pretty fucking good! Talked about to death I assume, but Cena's absolutely killing it, he's genuinely hilarious and has tons of charisma and, sure enough, heart. The cast as a whole is fantastic, especially Vigilante. I'm sad that I'm getting so attached to these guys, some fucked up shit is about to happen lmao (just finished Episode 4).

Also, I feel almost as bad as Peacemaker whenever he remembers Flagg's death. I want him back, quite liked him :(

Best intro too.
It's crazy how that scene gets so much more retroactive sadness to it

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
It's crazy how that scene gets so much more retroactive sadness to it
Yeah, man. I was already not happy with it when it first happened as I like Kinnaman and felt the character to be very fun and likable lol.

But seeing how Peacemaker's taking makes it harder. I liked him in the movie, but never felt empathy towards him and it mostly amounted to "he's funny". But the show does a really good job (and pretty fast) at making you feel and root for him.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Kite-man? WTF? They was total blindside. The after episode scene was hilarious. I wonder if Cena just adlibed the whole naming thing.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Best streaming show I've seen in a while, and it feels like this show is what James Gunn wanted The Suicide Squad (a 6 out of 10 movie that felt better because it came after one of the worst super hero movies ever made) to be.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
You can tell because he stumbled hard on "the two old guys on the balcony from the muppets", it comes out like "muckpets".

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The fact that he just calls Peach "the princess" really seals it. Also IDs Cena as someone who probably grew up playing Mario games before Peach's name was canonized in Mario 64 lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly feels more in the Doom Patrol one, didn't that have a Kiteman reference too?

Only as a blink-and-you'll-miss-it gag.

ywoYLhK.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all still caring about universes and continuity? Don't matter. Titans Doom Patrol and independent show Doom Patrol aren't even the same universe and it shares like 75% of the same cast.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, even the DCEU "proper" has kind of splintered now, with WW84 and the Snyder Cut breaking away in some important ways.

Peacemaker to me definitely feels like its own thing, even compared to The Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey and so on. Just because of the sheer abundance of superheroes - like, the Snyder films they're sort of a new phenomenon, while here you have him talking about shit like Matter-Eater Lad and Bat-Mite and a whole established superhero universe full of weird, wacky nonsense.

Like, even if it's a followup to the 2016 movie, I'd headcanon TSS and Peacemaker into a sort of sub-universe with Doom Patrol and Shazam. An occasionally goofy, heightened reality with a more traditionally heroic Justice League whose adventures we haven't seen. Maybe throw Birds of Prey and WW84 in there, why not.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like a lot of the post-JL output has been so disconnected that it could easily be in any sort of universe. Which is good, because I imagine we'll get better in-universe Batman and Superman movies eventually and Peacemaker/TSS/Shazam/WW/Birds of Prey can just exist alongside it without conflicting.

Was the DCEU Joker even visually in BOP or The Suicide Squad?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the last time an Arrowverse crossover will ever genuinely impress me

Honestly, I kind of imagine Guggenheim and Berlanti feel similarly. There's really nothing else the Arrowverse CAN cross over with of real meaning, short of somehow crossing over with the fucking MCU.