Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested but I feel this will be a super generic okay game...

I'm mostly worried about the bike management (having to pick it up where you left it, refuel it, etc. I like my vehicles being more convenient, like being able to summon your horse anytime in AC Origins or your car in Mad Max and Arkham Knight. The moment I have to worry about my vehicle, the game becomes stressful and less fun (like the horse in BOTW).

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Really didn't do much for me. I'm being 100% serious that the screenshot threads on here have me more intrigued than these generic trailers.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews and user impressions have to really be insanely good for me to even consider checking this one out. Uninspiring, to say the least. Hoping for the best, but man...it's a big no thank you for me. I keep hoping there is a crazy shake-up "twist" to the game that they've yet to reveal...

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
When Damiani was talking about his play though during E3, it got me way more interested in this. He was so excited.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Closer to launch, I hope they do a trailer showing what you do when you're not doing story stuff in the open world. It's that kinda shit that sells me on an open world game.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Combat looks boring Janky and repetitive in my opinion. Something I felt I have played before many times already. Generic.

What makes the combat boring, janky and repetitive?

There isn't a single open world game with the horde system, and gameplay mechanics that are specifically designed with it in mind.

Dynamic day/night and weather system which directly affects and changes the world.

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
I can't speak about the story, obviously. Maybe it'll blow everyone away. But purely from a gameplay perspective, it feels sort of janky. The shooting feels off, the guns dont sound good, the movement is sometimes good, sometimes not-so-much. The melee, from the previous build we saw was also quite janky.

Of course Bend has all the time to work on all this, but until now, I haven't seen anything that's said otherwise with regards to these concerns.

And for people feeling the need to 'attack' others who have an opinion different from theirs... why? If you're happy with what you've seen, then great for you. Let the skeptics, skept! They'll all eat crow once the game comes out and proves their doubts wrong, myself included.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
What makes the combat boring, janky and repetitive?

There isn't a single open world game with the horde system, and gameplay mechanics that are specifically designed with it in mind.

Dynamic day/night and weather system which directly affects and changes the world.
I dont get it as well how many biker theme zombie games with massive hordes do we got? R a game where you survival is depending on the bike itself.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
That's as good as non-answers can get. Why don't you tell me what makes the world, story/characters and the combat generic?
This opinion is based solely on the game's E3 showings and the first 2 hours of the game as presented via Game Informer several months ago, but:
- World - They haven't done enough to intrigue me about the world, so far it seems like generic zombie apocalypse.
- Story/Characters - The storytelling seems really clumsy, especially with how they seem to tease out the hero's backstory, and they haven't done anything to get me invested in the characters yet.
- Combat - Seems like a janky implementation of some pretty standard third person shooter gameplay, which would be serviceable/inoffensive if it didn't seem so janky.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I dont get it as well how many biker theme zombie games with massive hordes do we got? R a game where you survival is depending on the bike itself.

Yup, not a single game in the same vein.

This opinion is based solely on the game's E3 showings and the first 2 hours of the game as presented via Game Informer several months ago, but:
- World - They haven't done enough to intrigue me about the world, so far it seems like generic zombie apocalypse.
- Story/Characters - The storytelling seems really clumsy, especially with how they seem to tease out the hero's backstory, and they haven't done anything to get me invested in the characters yet.
- Combat - Seems like a janky implementation of some pretty standard third person shooter gameplay, which would be serviceable/inoffensive if it didn't seem so janky.

Thanks for elaborating on your opinion. I'm about to watch a movie, I'll respond in a few hours.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
My most antecipated game for next year... People thought Horizon would be a bomba too...

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great.

At this stage, if nothing you've seen so far has you convinced you can probably say it's not for you. That fine. But it doesn't make it a bomba or generic or a studio killer.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say reserve judgment until you play the game. It just seems, shortsighted to say that the game IS generic without actually playing yourself or at least seeing someone else play the game in-depth. Regardless, I'm looking forward to the game and think it looks great.

Oct 25, 2017
By all means please try to tell me why I should care about this game. I've tried to give it a fair shake but at this point I think the game just isn't for me.
We can't tell u and it seems it's just not for you so at this point I'm just wondering why you would bother more so than us trying to convince you.

That's my problem with this board and many as a whole. Games been announced for two years there so much gameplay and info out there at this point if it ain't for u it ain't for u that's completely fine

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd take this lad if I only had to play one Q1 19 game. Shitty bike physics could still ruin everything, give us a demo SONY.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's my problem with this board and many as a whole. Games been announced for two years there so much gameplay and info out there at this point if it ain't for u it ain't for u that's completely fine

Yeah, it's dumb. Like, just watch the trailers, read the previews, look at the screenshots -- and if it's not for you, then find something that is. It's not some massive drama just because one particular game doesn't appeal. It is a bit silly.

Oct 31, 2017
days gone was still a good way off compared to spiderman which was releasing a few months later. and days gone had already been shown at plenty of conferences prior, including 2 extended gameplay sessions. the last thing sony want is another no mans sky situation where it appears at every single conference showing similar things and never getting any closer to release.

last of us 2 is getting to that point too. they've had multiple cinematic trailers and an extended gameplay demo. i'd be surprised if we see it again until it's much closer to release. maybe one more gameplay demo at E3 next year with a fall 2019 release date?

i imagine we'll be seeing plenty of days gone at PSX this year though since it's going to be releasing a few months after the fact. it will help boost awareness again and we'll be seeing it in a much more finished, presentable state. which is ultimately why i think they went for the gameinformer approach over E3. it lets them demo the game more fully, without the restrictions of stage time or requiring a section of game that's highly polished and ready for public showing and it also gives them the opportunity to explain exactly what the game is, and the functionality within it concerning the horde, the bike, the towns, the crafting, the narrative...you can't do that in 10 minutes live on stage. and as i said, they already tried...twice.
When the focus of their E3 presentation was "gameplay reveals", not really? They put the game on the cover of Game Informer, which is probably a bigger, more far reaching platform than an E3 presentation, literally one month before. That doesn't really jive with your false "they are sending it out to die" narrative.
I'm sorry but these explanations are really not enough to placate my doubts, E3 is the biggest stage there is, and this year was the biggest stage for AAA playstation exclusives EVER, sony could have shown a 2 minutes trailer, they didn't do that, they could have at least mention to check out the livestreams of the game, they didn't do that, what they did is actually releasing a trailer DAYS before the conference, and relegating all gameplay reveals to livestreams, I'm sorry but I could NEVER see other AAA exclusives like the the last of us 2 or god of war getting such treatments where they don't even get their names spoken aloud on the stage specifically designed for such things while you parade them elsewhere. Even Dreams, which was announced eons ago got a small spotlight with those animated scenes between trailers.

Btw the No Man Sky comparison really doesn't fit here because that game, even if it was marketed as AAA, was always a AA timed exclusive game from a small third party developer, Day's Gone is a fat AAA game from a first party dev, No Man Sky didn't close any E3 conferences, Day's Gone did, and Sony's choice to release the trailer and gameplay outside the conference(with no mention in the conference itself, I really can't stress this enough) is a big fucking deal.

Last edited:

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Not really excited. I feel like the game will be typical open world with tedious activities like camp clearing, fetch quests etc. The horde doesnt look nearly as good as when it was revealed. From rhe hour on gameinf i quite liked the dialogue and acting however story remains a mystery. Maybe will get hyped closer to launch but i doubt it. 22feb is gonna be anthem day!

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks rough. Probably Sony's first big miss with their AAA exclusives this gen.

Should just delay this and add a Battle Royale or Survival Mode, probably the only thing that can save it.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Generic: The Game.

It has nice graphics but everything else just looks meh. I usually enjoy mediocre games so I'll probably end up loving this so part of me is looking forward to it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but these explanations are really not enough to placate my doubts, E3 is the biggest stage there is, and this year was the biggest stage for AAA playstation exclusives EVER, sony could have shown a 2 minutes trailer, they didn't do that, they could have at least mention to check out the livestreams of the game, they didn't do that, what they did is actually releasing a trailer DAYS before the conference, and relegating all gameplay reveals to livestreams, I'm sorry but I could NEVER see other AAA exclusives like the the last of us 2 or god of war getting such treatments where they don't even get their names spoken aloud on the stage specifically designed for such things while you parade them elsewhere. Even Dreams, which was announced eons ago got a small spotlight with those animated scenes between trailers.

Btw the No Man Sky comparison really doesn't fit here because that game, even if it was marketed as AAA, was always a AA timed exclusive game from a small third party developer, Day's Gone is a fat AAA game from a first party dev, No Man Sky didn't close any E3 conferences, Day's Gone did, and Sony's choice to release the trailer and gameplay outside the conference(with no mention in the conference itself, I really can't stress this enough) is a big fucking deal.
Lol it got the same number of e3s God of war got, it got an entire display that ppl could interact with alongside god of war at psx 17, it got an entire game informer coverage before e3. The entire lead up to e3 was "Sony shouldn't show days gone at e3 for the third time in a row blah blah" now it's some conspiracy because they didn't can't win with you ppl. Games gonna sell great. Whether it's a good game or not nobody knows until feb 22nd

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017

I mean isn't it pretty obvious that Sony doesn't want to have TLOU 2 and Days Gone in the same conference? That's why it was pretty obviously and smartly Game Informer's May cover. Not to mention it already got two gameplay demos at E3.

Is there a Sony conference where both TLOU 2 and Days Gone were present? If I remember correctly it was,
E3 2016 - Days Gone
PSX 2016 - TLOU 2
E3 2017 - Days Gone
PGW 2017 TLOU 2
E3 2018 - TLOU 2
TGS 2018 - Days Gone.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean isn't it pretty obvious that Sony doesn't want to have TLOU 2 and Days Gone in the same conference? That's why it was pretty obviously and smartly Game Informer's May cover. Not to mention it already got two gameplay demos at E3.

Is there a Sony conference where both TLOU 2 and Days Gone were present? If I remember correctly it was,
E3 2016 - Days Gone
PSX 2016 - TLOU 2
E3 2017 - Days Gone
PGW 2017 TLOU 2
E3 2018 - TLOU 2
TGS 2018 - Days Gone.
I get it, but if sony doesn't mention an exclusive at the e3 conference, it doesn't show that exclusive at all, no trailers before or during the conference, no gameplay livestreams, no nothing, that's what happened with The last of us in 2017, if sony decides that an exclusive AAA game is gonna be somewhere, it's gonna make a big fucking deal about it one way or another, and releasing the E3 trailer days before the conference(which was a pretty mediocre trailer at that) is not showing me that they're making a big fucking deal about it.

Last edited:

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

- Days Gone is quite a departure from your average zombie game. Fighting freakers especially a horde is unlike anything currently available in the open world genre, dynamic day/night and weather system which directly affects the eco system and traversal, resource management for Deacon's bike, a challenging world, etc.

- Why don't you wait until the game is out and then decide if the devs have done a good enough job to get you invested in the characters? Your opinion is rather premature, no?

- Yeah, combat needs a bit of work and sound tuning, in its current state the gunplay looks on par with the Tomb Raider games - I want Days Gone to feel and look better. That said, it looked serviceable in the pre-alpha build.

By all means please try to tell me why I should care about this game. I've tried to give it a fair shake but at this point I think the game just isn't for me.

That's not what I'm trying to do.

I can't tell if this is a deliberate reference to the Sea Lion Wondermark comic or not, but it is.

It wasn't a reference but I see what you're saying.