Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's been marketed like crazy. Definitely was going to sell well.
Last minute review embargoes also help.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Well, Dying Light's story is kinda bad and I remember the game was a bit rough when it launched (bugs and such). It's still very fun to play and I'm amazed at how the developers continued to support and improve the game for years. I think if it launched in the state it is today it would've gotten a better score.

Can't wait for Dying Light 2!

This is all true from what I've read. Dying Light launched roughed but greatly improved since its released. It's kinda like looking at Splatoon 2's reviews from when it launched and playing the game now. Same thing happened with Warframe to the point that many reviewers had to update their original review with all the changes made to the game.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I saw gameplay footage of shooting kid zombies and it made me want to buy it. A bunch of other people mustve too

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's a fun game just has some drawbacks (repetitive missions) and a protag who isn't that likeable (at least so far) but in the end it's still an enjoyable open world zombie game, not at all a bad or terrible game.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't have thought they would have. Especially after one day.

Kind of a weird tweet.

Anyway, people seem to be enjoying it for the most part, so that's good. Look forward to maybe playing it one day when it's on sale or my backlog isn't so busy.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I would imagine a lot of people see a 7/10 game and assume it's pretty good.Around here it means it's not worth your time,for some reason.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
-Generic white dude
-Open world
-Zombies
-AAA Sony exclusive
-Huge marketing budget

Days Gone may not be a genre defining success, but it was always going to do well for itself.

It blows my mind that we're at a point where people here and some critics refer to every white Male protagonist as "generic". It's beyond stupid.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like yet another testament to choosing your release window wisely. Not a lot of competition right now.

Either way it's good news - I never like seeing games bomb unless they are clearly trying to rip people off or oversell themselves. Like, I won't shed any tears over Anthem, and I think it's failure sends a good message. But Days Gone seems to be a pretty "what you see is what you get" type product, albeit with some flaws, and I could never argue that it deserves to fail.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I saw gameplay footage of shooting kid zombies and it made me want to buy it. A bunch of other people mustve too
9q4Dl2w.gif

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, makes sense. It's still a zombie game with a more "rustic" setting that definitely appeals to a mainstream audience. From my five-ish hours with the game, it's been a decent time so far and there's nothing horribly wrong with the game like Anthem.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can actual sales be damage control. Isn't damage control around sales purposeful obfuscation via nonsensical measurements. "68 million shots fired" or "X million players" while omitting the fact that you can play the game for free or $1.00 for a 1 month.
Let's not start with the console war now.

Every platform and/or publisher with their own service leans on purposeful obfuscation of their numbers when they feel the need to. So I'm not sure how console war entered the conversation. Check EA's PR around the last installment of Battlefront or Ubisoft's PR around AC Victory. The obfuscation isn't tied to one specific platform.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I'm glad, game doesn't look so bad and was probably expensive af to develop. Good stuff.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Check EA's PR around the last installment of Battlefront

Last EA PR on Battelfront said 7 million copies, sooo i don't know what are you trying to say with this.
Saying "players" does not always mean "obsfucation numbers", Siege is going strongly and Ubisoft talks about players, not units, anyway we are going OT.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Despite a score of 72/100? That's only 28 from perfect score....

It looks fun, and that's why I've bought it. Not a cheap game though at 51 squids on Amazon.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It blows my mind that we're at a point where people here and some critics refer to every white Male protagonist as "generic". It's beyond stupid.

He's not even generic. If people actually play the game they'll realize he's an insane person. He's not quite like any AAA protagonist I can think of. He's crazy.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
That's good to hear. I made the decision to wait a while and give them some time to patch up the game a bit and get a discount. Games like this end up being a much better experience if you wait 6 months to play them.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, all the negative coverage from before launch then the sudden surge of "it's ok" reviews kinda made the game more appealing.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine a lot of people see a 7/10 game and assume it's pretty good.Around here it means it's not worth your time,for some reason.

I imagine most people don't base their buying decisions around reviews. I mean, I enjoy reading reviews. But, I would never not buy a game I was interested in because it reviewed badly.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It hits a lot of areas that the population at large loves and that the niche of reviewers do not, so it makes sense. Just having the bike is enough to get a lot of people interested in Days Gone

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to getting it, but I've got other stuff on my plate right now, so will wait a month or two and hopefully get it for around $40 with a bunch of patches that make things better.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Not to nitpick, and the sales could really be awesome.

BUT!
saying that Day1 sales are unaffected by reviews when most people had already bought the game before the reviews were out, is no strong indicator on how reviews had impacted a game.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm people dont put much faith in reviewers who give rockstar mediocre games 10 across the board? Color me surprised.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
That's good to hear. I hope Sony gives them the chance to work on a follow up since this is a good base to start from with some clear room for improvement in future installments.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
The marketing must be paying off — there was an ad before I saw Endgame which must have been expensive.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would like to see it do well, have not played it yet but it's on my list.

I did find it amusing that for every review that was bad based on gameplay and mechanics there were two more bad reviews based soley on story and theme, things that don't matter much to me to begin with, especially considering how waves of chasing trends and derivatives is in all media especially games.

But while I can't guarantee this until I play it I have a feeling that for me it's going to be another Mad Max, which I enjoyed a lot.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
It's a great game and already 3 performance patches have hit since launch.

Fuck reviewers, they gave dying light a 74 which is one of the greatest zombie games of all time.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game and already 3 performance patches have hit since launch.

Fuck reviewers, they gave dying light a 74 which is one of the greatest zombie games of all time.

I won't say "fuck reviewers" since I genuinely don't believe reviewers are disingenuous, but quite a few times in recent history they've (in aggregate) severely dinged some truly amazing games, including some absolute top of genre masterpieces like Alien Isolation

Dragon's Dogma, Alien Isolation, Don't Starve, Evil Within 2, Dying Light, Vampyr, Detroit Become Human all have MC in the 70s

???
im liking days gone but u just over exaggerated.

I think RDR2 is literally bad -- As a video game. The controls are bad, gunplay is bad, quest/encounter design is miserable. I actually hate the game -- so, honestly, it's not hard to be better, and Days Gone is better by virtue of playing well and being entertaining.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last EA PR on Battelfront said 7 million copies, sooo i don't know what are you trying to say with this.
Saying "players" does not always mean "obsfucation numbers", Siege is going strongly and Ubisoft talks about players, not units, anyway we are going OT.

Check EA's PR between the two Battlefront games. One sold far less at launch and so other obfuscated metrics were used for PR purposes. Everyone on this board can point to the exact same strategy being employed more times than anyone really cares to mention. And we're going OT because you labeled familiar PR as console wars. Despite the fact no console or platform was mentioned.

Please remember that companies outside of gaming use the exact same obfuscated PR for the exact same reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.