Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
are the survival mechanics and systemic quirks intricate enough for someone who's weird and actually into that shit?
like I'm really attracted to the idea of your bike being something you can become separated from for extended periods of time until you can mount a homespun operation to get it back for example
but I haven't paid too much attention to this game outside of the last week or so (so idk if that example of mine even holds) and I'm avoiding review content in case I do end up playing this one

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
There are plenty of games i play kind of mindlessly and just to occupy myself and look at the pretty visuals. If i were being critical about them id probably be pretty harsh, despite enjoying them. I wonder if games will always be rated based on how easily you can have a sorta passively pleasurable experience with them, versus interrogating the value of an experience even if it's doing exactly what it set out to do.

I saw this clip recently and cant stop laughing at it: https://twitter.com/Nitomatta/status/1121475143883091973?s=19

*confused voice*: "Whammean its a work camp, y'gotta work"

damn! that's real? oh, well, no biggie. i always opt for the original japanese voicetrack - oh, wait! :) ...

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
damn! that's real? oh, well, no biggie. i always opt for the original japanese voicetrack - oh, wait! :) ...
There are some games where you can tell the voice actors didnt know what the scene would look like. This particular example feels like that, but also the dialogue was written half and half by writers who come from two different planets.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I will say though, ac oddessy to me, someone who loved origins, is pretty disappointing. They didnt really do much other than build out some origins systems horizintally, and add more grindy-feeling quests. Also the storytelling seems a lot less respectful of the culture it takes place in, and far less even-handed about the sci fi elements, plus th acting and dialogue system seem clunky and shallow. Not trying to compare it to this game, but just point out it was in a lot of ways a regression, and its weird that this industry rewards that (until it doesn't)

Oct 25, 2017
Not *that* far into the game (about 4-5 hours), and so far I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. I don't like "pure" survival games -- I vastly prefer games that make me feel like I'm in a survival situation (ie, they include crafting mechanics, and some limitations on my actions such as barring fast travel / safety states when I'm in danger), but don't go completely mechanical or sim on me, requiring me to drink water every 2 minutes or something silly like that. To top it off, since zombies are of course done to death, I also need a story to go along with the action; something that'll give me just enough reason for my actions to where I can pick up the slack from there.

I think Days Gone does all of this. It gives you a large enough play space, fun (albeit occasionally broken) AI, and enough of the survival feel that it's tapping into that "What if TLoU *had* been open world" feeling I've wondered about. Oh, the story isn't great (though the characters seem solid so far), and there's definitely a lack of polish, so the comparison isn't perfect, but when you're sneaking around houses and looting and being chased around by zombies... the game just has that really nice contrast between loud moments and quiet moments that TLoU pulled off with seeming ease.

Finally, I'm thankful for a lack of meaningless content. Sure, some of the missions so far have been samey, but the map isn't filled with arbitrary shit to go find, and so I feel like I can enjoy actually exploring instead of min-maxing.

I'd say reviewers may have been just a tad harsh on this one. I see *why* they took issue with some of this stuff, but there's been enough of a lull in big Sony releases that this is ticking the boxes off just fine for me even if it's not going to be something particularly special.

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
I see that you're playing in french, how is the voice acting? I normally play games in English as they tend to have better voice acting but Sony games have been generally impressive en français malgré tout.

the dubbing is fine, there are just mixing problems (high and low voices) and lip sync ;) otherwise it's all good

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://3dnews.ru/986418 (6.0/10) (russian)
google translation
Days Gone is a good game, but it's impossible to put it on a par with other impressive PlayStation 4 exclusives. If you endure a dreary start, come to terms with the mediocre design of the missions and do not expect something original from the open world, you will get a great story with interesting characters, many of whom will be able to surprise with their actions more than once. At first, the game seemed to be another commonplace snotty action movie on the topic of post-apocalypse, but Sony Bend still found something to tell. And she told me - not without bugs, not without problems, but the first experience of the studio in a new field for it cannot be called very hopeless.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do like fan review accounts just have extremely low standards or are they just boosting reviews because it means they keep getting review copies? I mean look at the discrepancy and it's like every time.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do like fan review accounts just have extremely low standards or are they just boosting reviews because it means they keep getting review copies? I mean look at the discrepancy and it's like every time.
there's a lot of fan sites or sites with low credibility that give high scores to games their readers are most likely to be interested in. they're not gonna give a super low score to something they want to write articles and guides about for months. there's a reason metacritic uses a weighted algorithm to calculate the average.

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Imagine the same game, but set in Paris or Hong Kong. I believe the setting and characters are what mainly hurt the game. The repetition wouldn't be as noticeable if you had a better setting and better characters.
The setting is amazing IMO....I find it perfect for ambience/atmosphere.

City for part 2 perhaps, bit no...this settings is fine in my subjective opinion.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

These sites I've never heard of are doing a good job of stopping the score from being much lower so its obviously doing some good for the games reception/meta/oc.

I think both your points are correct. They sant to keep getting free games from Sony.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I still don't really understand who this setting was meant to be appealing to? Bikers? That whole thing is completely unappealing for like 95% of gamers (scientifically proven statistic), and then the setting of Oregon? Come on. I'm surprised Sony even greenlit this idea.
Lol...how pray tell is that a proven stat, you surely jest?

I absolutely love the Oregon setting: fits the game perfectly, reminds me of New Zealand (home).

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So a 6 because it's not as good as other PS4 exclusives? Guess they give 90% a 6 then?
here's their pros and cons list: (google translation)

Advantages

• exciting story in the second half of the game
  • bright characters, even minor ones
  • frightening hordes of freaks do not leave time for a break
  • a tangible difference between weak and powerful weapons
  • I want to capture atmospheric locations in photo mode

Disadvantages

• an unbearably stiff first half
  • many tasks of the same type, some of which are completely meaningless
  • in the open world there is practically nothing to do
  • bugs, crashes and constant frame rate drops

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
there's a lot of fan sites or sites with low credibility that give high scores to games their readers are most likely to be interested in. they're not gonna give a super low score to something they want to write articles and guides about for months. there's a reason metacritic uses a weighted algorithm to calculate the average.
Interesting how does that work?

What I mean is where can I find more info on the weights?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Sony kinda pushed this game out the door so they can start talking about last of us 2 in earnest.

I don't think that's it. I mean we don't even know if last of us is this year. I think they pushed it out the door because it's been in development forever and they're tired of sinking money into a mediocre game and not seeing it get any better

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting how does that work?

What I mean is where can I find more info on the weights?
i don't think that's public information. it's safe to assume tho that the scores given by publications like IGN or gamespot have more weight than, for example, cheat code central.

according to them:
Metascore is a weighted average in that we assign more importance, or weight, to some critics and publications than others, based on their quality and overall stature.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
After watching and playing a bit at a friend's house, my biggest takeaway was this would have made for a very fun co-op game. Seems like a solid game as is, nothing truly great or bad (well the frame rate got pretty bad at times) about it, a solid 6-7. Though I didn't really bother with anything story.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Finally getting around into watching Karak/ACG review.

It's interesting that the video already have more views (950k) than Spiderman (800k), RDR2 (700k), God Of War (630k), Sekiro/DMC5 (300k).

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Finally getting around into watching Karak/ACG review.

It's interesting that the video already have more views (950k) than Spiderman (800k), RDR2 (700k), God Of War (630k), Sekiro/DMC5 (300k).
Guessing people were really undecided on this one and were actually waiting for reviews to push or save them(the money).

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
After watching and playing a bit at a friend's house, my biggest takeaway was this would have made for a very fun co-op game. Seems like a solid game as is, nothing truly great or bad (well the frame rate got pretty bad at times) about it, a solid 6-7. Though I didn't really bother with anything story.
I agree. I feel like Bend really should have tried to squeeze some kind of multiplayer in here.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think in the end nobody will deny that this game is a "good" game but:
- if it was a third party game, we wouldn't see people that engaged on both sides as it would be a game that would be one of too many in the same "league" but of course would still find its fans

- this forums main argument for the decision which console to buy is exclusives for a platform and I think we can all agree that this game is hardly a game that people would buy a PlayStation for

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
are the survival mechanics and systemic quirks intricate enough for someone who's weird and actually into that shit?
like I'm really attracted to the idea of your bike being something you can become separated from for extended periods of time until you can mount a homespun operation to get it back for example
but I haven't paid too much attention to this game outside of the last week or so (so idk if that example of mine even holds) and I'm avoiding review content in case I do end up playing this one

As someone who's also into that stuff, absolutely not. The survival stuff is more or less window dressing, a sporadic and easy chore you undertake sometimes. Gas is pretty easy to find and I have no idea why it runs out so quickly with that being the case. I don't like to get too speculative about this sort of thing but it makes me wonder if the game was supposed to have a more involved survival component to it that got changed to the really basic form it's in now somewhere along the line.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I still don't really understand who this setting was meant to be appealing to? Bikers? That whole thing is completely unappealing for like 95% of gamers (scientifically proven statistic), and then the setting of Oregon? Come on. I'm surprised Sony even greenlit this idea.

Probably people like me who don't live in America or have ever driven a motorcycle. I'm absolutely enamored by the setting and it's the first thing that attracted me to this game.

There's nothing like Oregon in South East Asia.

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's also into that stuff, absolutely not. The survival stuff is more or less window dressing, a sporadic and easy chore you undertake sometimes. Gas is pretty easy to find and I have no idea why it runs out so quickly with that being the case. I don't like to get too speculative about this sort of thing but it makes me wonder if the game was supposed to have a more involved survival component to it that got changed to the really basic form it's in now somewhere along the line.
I like it honestly, it is not that huge because you can find scraps and gas but it is good because you will always have to remember it. This leads into some interesting situations where if you forgot about it for a second then run into a horde or some enemies.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
10 hours into the game and definitely enjoying it. It has its issues but the extreme negative reviews are an absolute joke imo. It's a good game

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Seriously what did you expect? Is crystal clear that the game look mediocre at best.
Not every Sony exclusive must be a masterpiece though.

I expected a higher score. It is crystal clear to me that the game is definitely above average. You have a strange definition of mediocre if you can crystal clearly judge this as looking like one. Not a masterpiece, sure - but a solid game.

It looks great and plays great. After a couple of hours, it looks to be a solid 8, at least.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I expected a higher score. It is crystal clear to me that the game is definitely above average. You have a strange definition of mediocre if you can crystal clearly judge this as looking like one. Not a masterpiece, sure - but a solid game.

It looks great and plays great. After a couple of hours, it looks to be a solid 8, at least.
I've put about 4 hours into it and it certainly
Looks nice but I'm struggling to continue because It does not play great at all. Along with questionable voice acting, dialogue, story beats 7 is about right for it, which is still good.

Controls just feel sluggish and unresponsive. Actually makes me a bit sick to play so I can only play for a couple hours at a time at most.

Definitely a long, long, long, long way from the fluidity and responsiveness of Horizon and MGSV.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Obviously, what I'm about to say is a slight exaggeration, but sometimes I feel like we live in a time where 10/10 masterpieces and 5/10 flops are all people like to read and talk about, and reviewers like to please their crowds. A great game with clear issues gets called "a perfect masterpiece". A solid game with some failings is a "dumpster fire". Especially if a game has gathered some attention prior to release.

Then people gather around their digital campfires and you either hear "GOTY" or "GOAT" going around or "Ouch" and "Yikes". That's what it's all about.

This game is not GoW, Horizon or Last of Us - but it's not a "6" or whatever. It has some flaws, but it's a very good, solid title.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
These sites I've never heard of are doing a good job of stopping the score from being much lower so its obviously doing some good for the games reception/meta/oc.

I think both your points are correct. They sant to keep getting free games from Sony.

It's clear you don't have in interest in the game. Why are you so invested in discussing its failure?

This is such a bizarre culture in forums- posters staying in threads of games they know they don't/won't like to only speak negatively about a game they won't play. If you don't like some thing or care about it keep it moving.

It took me more more than 2 Crackdown vids to see it wasn't for me so I never entered another crackdown thread after seeing the score which confirmed my indifference.

Posters like you and mazi and a few others are spending an awful amount of time in here and I'm genuinely curious what entertainment or insight you are gaining from actively discussing a game you clearly don't care about.

In any case, from what I've played so far (4 hours in) I think the a 7 is appropriate. The story so far a mess and the gunplay isn't really that good. I think the freakers/hordes and the bike are the stars of the show. The game has too many moments early one that actively take away the controls. There is even a 7 min cutscene immediately after a certain mission which is unacceptable at this point.

I suspect if Bend gets another shot at a sequel the game will be a lot better. The game feels polished but budgeted at the same time

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I'm a bit confused why this game is getting 6 and 7s. Meanwhile AC Odyessy got above 8s.

Was just thinking about this. AC Odyssey had generic quests, a very bad story (it started interesting, but the family storyline was really disappointing in the end) and looked visually worse than this. And had microtransactions. Just to be clear, I enjoyed it and think it's a good game - but I can't see why people think it's better than Days Gone.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
1556289788-days-gone-20190426161731.png

1556303563-days-gone-20190426175426.png

1556303563-days-gone-20190426180409.png

Snaps courtesy of Dumbmugi

I have never considered myself an uncompromising gfx-whore and there are plenty of visual issues with DG that prevent total immersion from time to time (from the vids I have seen) but I can not get over just how awesome Deacon's character model looks during gameplay (identical to photomode).

I will buy the game in a few months just to snap gameplay photos of him.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Was just thinking about this. AC Odyssey had generic quests, a very bad story (it started interesting, but the family storyline was really disappointing in the end) and looked visually worse than this. And had microtransactions. Just to be clear, I enjoyed it and think it's a good game - but I can't see why people think it's better than Days Gone.

You know the reasons my dude.

Critics and players hate sony exclusive games, we all saw that last year with the awful reception that God of War got, Spiderman too, while everyone absolutely loves Ubisoft games.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
You know the reasons my dude.

Critics and players hate sony exclusive games, we all saw that last year with the awful reception that God of War got, Spiderman too, while everyone absolutely loves Ubisoft games.
Haha what?? Its completely the opposite! Critics loved god of war to the point where it won virtually every award going and people on here talking like its the pinnacle of game design.

Whereas most people shit on ubisoft. For better or worse.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Haha what?? Its completely the opposite! Critics loved god of war to the point where it won virtually every award going and people on here talking like its the pinnacle of game design.

I didn't think I needed that /s at the end :P

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

I can fix your broken Sarcasm Detector for $5.99.