• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As always, you will have to be your own judge, but when a collective whole averages out to the 70s, it's probably a 70s type of game. To me 60s and below can be considered as bad games more than likely. Score in the 70s probably mean mediocre. 80s is probably good and 90s are great. I think I may still get it. I have enjoyed some bad games in the past.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Sometimes, people tend to forget that this game was made by 100-150 people. Of course, you can't expect something of the level of RDR2, it's just logical. I think it's an encouraging first try.

anyprophet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
7/10 is a piece of shit? Jesus some people here. I mean I have no interest in the game at all but this is a ridiculous post.
7/10 is average and doesnt include unscored reviews. the game does look very bad.

the problem with the post is the assertion that the devs should be ashamed. that poster can go fuck themselves for that comment.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I don't post a ton on here, but it seems like I've seen a lot of hate on this game since it was announced. I didn't really follow it as the reveal felt like an instant "this isn't for me" title, but I know how many place importance on journalist reviews. Upon seeing the scores, I figured they surpassed expectations.

But upon skimming this thread there's an overriding sense of disappointment? How? It seemed like no one expected anything from this game and 7/10 ain't bad. Is the grading scale of journalist reviews that broken? Is anything less than the highly polished, AAA "blockbuster" from an established franchise no longer acceptable?

I just don't understand. People like open world games. People like zombie games. People like games where they're a shoot-bang man and shoot-bang man has a motorcycle in this one. It seems like the homogenized experience so many clamor for. So is it really that big of a deal if it doesn't have the voice acting or technical polish of the others that are doing basically the same thing? Is that enough to separate a 7/10 game from a 9/10 game and, if so, why is a 7/10 looked upon so poorly?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
these reviews seem to be in line with what i was expecting when it was first shown off, disappointed to see these scores after it seemed to be getting pretty good previews. which again idk why this happens but previews sometimes are way too positive. Might pick this up when it goes on sale. is the platinum tedious?

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that many reviewer has they own personal horse in the play, and don't give subjective score.
like IGN saying they preview video that it's bad that protagonist is white male, that is racism and very unprofessional to say.

I think that this game is going to be clut classic for sure, it will find it's audience.

Last edited:

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Digital Foundry uploaded some stunning HDR footage. Looks like an HDR showcase. Sadly the game is average. I'll pick it up on sale at least to enjoy some of the sights for a while.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Disappointing year continues to disappoint.

I guessed VERY low 80's. Shows I should have had even less faith in this game than before and everything I thought about it was true.

RE2, DMC5, Sekiro, Apex, MK11 Yoshi... If you're disappointing with all that I'd ask what are you expecting?

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
7/10 is average and doesnt include unscored reviews. the game does look very bad.

the problem with the post is the assertion that the devs should be ashamed. that poster can go fuck themselves for that comment.
I agree the game looks bad but 7/10 is not the game is a piece of shit by any measure, a 2/10 or a 4/10 is more that level.

But yes I was condeming the post as a whole.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't post a ton on here, but it seems like I've seen a ton of hate on this game since it was announced. I didn't really follow it as the reveal felt like an instant "this isn't for me" title, but I know how many place importance on journalist reviews. Upon seeing the scores, I figured they surpassed expectations.

But upon skimming this thread there's an overriding sense of disappointment? How? It seemed like no one expected anything from this game and 7/10 ain't bad. Is the grading scale of journalist reviews that broken? Is anything less than the highly polished, AAA "blockbuster" from an established franchise no longer acceptable?

I just don't understand. People like open world games. People like zombie games. People like games where they're a shoot-bang man and shoot-bang man has a motorcycle in this one. It seems like the homogenized experience so many clamor for. So is it really that big of a deal if it doesn't have the voice acting or technical polish of the others that are doing basically the same thing? Is that enough to separate a 7/10 game from a 9/10 game and, if so, why is a 7/10 looked upon so poorly?

Because fanboys. Many people (like most hyped AAA console exclusive games) have had their minds made up about this game already and likely weren't going to budge. The discourse around this game for months has been less about whether or not it would be good/great/middling/bad and more about who was going to get to serve crow to who.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
I don't post a ton on here, but it seems like I've seen a ton of hate on this game since it was announced. I didn't really follow it as the reveal felt like an instant "this isn't for me" title, but I know how many place importance on journalist reviews. Upon seeing the scores, I figured they surpassed expectations.

People hated this game for whatever reason. And they having a field day now while pretending a 7 out of 10 game is bad. It is a pretty good game and if you like AAA open world games before, you will like this one too.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because I'm not dropping $60 day one on a game that's reported to be bad in order to form my own opinion. Maybe I'll do it in a year or two when it's on deep discount.

People who come into bad review threads championing not listening to reviewers and buying a game day one to "form their own opinion" are people who have already formed an opinion based on marketing material.
well said. that's what reviews are there for, 60 isn't a small price to pay day 1 for a game when you're not sure of its quality.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that's a lot lower than I was expecting. I figured it'd score rather well in the low to mid 80's, potentially even higher, considering Sony's recent AAA track record. Still, those aren't awful scores and I'd imagine the core audience will probably get a fair amount of enjoyment from it

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having read some of the reviews, this game attempts to adapt the Ubisoft formula and ends up being a vacuous time-sink with metres to fill. I never had hope over the story because it seemed to generic – morally complex character; contradictions between survival and conviction etc.

I'll play this a few months down the line when it's heavily discounted and has a few updates but I have to say, I'm very disappointed Sony decided to publish a game that from the looks of it, looks so vacuous and full of cookie-cutter content.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Cheat Code Central 4.8/5
Days Gone is a more thoughtful zombie game that offers people multiple approaches to solve problems. It shows us a world where the Freakers are dangerous enemies with a mob mentality and enough stamina to chase Deacon down. It lets us see heartfelt situations where people are pushed to extremes and do all they can to get by. There is a lot to Days Gone, and it is a larger game than people might expect.
https://www.cheatcc.com/ps4/rev/daysgonereview.html

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Damn didn't think the game would get shitted on this bad by reviewers, glad i got the physical copy since i usually go digital on Sony exclusives since i still had that air of doubt about the game due to Bend not being anywhere near as proven as the likes of ND, GG, Insomniac etc. I'll give it a shot still but definitely have no qualms trading it in if it turns out to be a dud. Still see the game selling a shit ton and hopefully like the original Assassin's Creed which was also mediocre comes out with a vastly superior sequel down the line.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Lower then I expected. Not terrible but this never looked that exciting.

That said the review range is pretty high, if you were exciting I say get it, of not dont. I'll wait for a sale

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seems like a game that Sony greenlit and then let them get on with, hence not quite having the overall polish.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
It's Klepek trying too hard to make people forget about his rasist and rape jokes by becoming a true moral compass. Just ignore him.

But is annoying. I'm going to wait what he has to said about moral complex stories like The Last if Us. He also wasn't happy because GoW and the lack of women.

Yeah I'm sorry but his stuff has increasingly become more and more pretentious.

But why?

I don't mind somebody actually treating games as narrative products worthy of analysis.

Yes. But you have to make them in their domain. Don't treat a open world videogame, with tons of previews were you can actually see their shallow premise to be a piece of narrative work.

Consistancy isn't too much to ask in a game surely? Waypoints review for a lot of it paints a picture of an inconsistant chraracter in tone and actions that made it unenjoyable for the reviewer. I don't think at any point the review demanded the writing be among the greatest authors of all time....

But Patrick make emphasis on the morals of the game or the lack of. The two authors that I quote are masters of moral complexity. If he wants that kind of consistency he is not looking at the right place.

no one is asking for literary masterpieces... but at least have something meaningful to say. I knew from the jump that this game's plot was going to be hollow.

Exactly. So why the fuzz? Every game now has to make an statement? Or have something to said? Help me God the day that people start asking for Mario games a moral stand and a meaningful plot.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

I don't think the quality of the game is the discussion here, more like people getting tired of games that have nothing more to offer then 'an open world'. The bar has been raised by devs like Rockstar, CD Project RED and UbiSoft in that regard. I think I can applaud the critics for actually being critical about the games' design and I hope it moves us past this phase of games with 100 hours of 'content' as thin as a sheet of paper.

If Days Gone had actually interesting and unique gameplay to offer than noone would've tripped over things like 'story flaws', bugs or other tiny details.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I guess my hunch was pretty much spot on. Still hope it sells well for the devs, but it just never looked like a game that I would ever want to put time into.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
RE2, DMC5, Sekiro, Apex, MK11 Yoshi... If you're disappointing with all that I'd ask what are you expecting?
Don't get me wrong. There are GREAT games this year. But lets face it, Fallout 76, Anthem, (in to a much lesser degree) Days Gone were victims of just poor development in one way or another.

These games landed with a THUD (again ignore Days Gone since it is too early to tell) in an industry and from developers that poured a lot of money into these games. I feel like there is something that really needs to be said to avoid these stories in the future. I'd also like to point out the growing pains in 2 of your examples in MK11 (6400$ in skins and the progression system) and Apex (This is more Fortnite's crunch problem than anything else but people are expecting more from Apex as a result). It is REALLY concerning.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
7/10 is a very good score. The only unfortunate thing is that a 7/10 means "deep discount almost immediately" in this climate.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Because fanboys. Many people (like most hyped AAA console exclusive games) have had their minds made up about this game already and likely weren't going to budge. The discourse around this game for months has been less about whether or not it would be good/great/middling/bad and more about who was going to get to serve crow to who.
This

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I'm not really sticking up for this game, but I'm so sick of people pushing false narratives. A review that ends with 6/10 or 7/10 is not "scathing"!

If it's not up to your standard, that's fine. Money and time are very precious commodities for all of us.

I'm only in this thread because this is a Sony game. I don't even own PS4, but I always anticipate the reception of their exclusives as an event.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So we should, what, still rush out to support mediocre products? Besides, that doesn't really have anything to do with what I said initially. Criticizing a game doesn't mean you're taking personal swipes at the people who made it.

Especially given the price these games cost. I'm sure the devs tried very hard to make this game - that doesn't mean we should support them. I'll be giving this a hard pass.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's interesting to see that both Bend and Ready at Dawn studios who have very critically and commercially successful handheld titles in their portfolios have not been able to carry it forward to the same degree with new IPs on home consoles.

It comes off like scope and management related issues.