• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I also hate games that use the DS4 speaker. Have never liked the gimick and always turn it off. Perhaps they had the intention of making it sound like a low quality recording or something? Let me listen to the audio normally pls.

They're in your collectibles tab. You can play them at any time and they'll sound thru your headset/tv.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
Is there hit markers for all weapons and is consistent that every time you hit something with a bullet a hit marker shows?

not entirely sure what you mean. but i'd say hit reactions and blood decals are inconsistent, most times tho you get good feedback and effects (especially with some of the later guns and gun skill upgrades) an other times nothing.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I can't tell if deacon being super loud is just bad audio mixing or intended due to him being unhinged. Its often hard to hear dialogue over your bike. Cutscene audio has really bad mixing too. Had to turn on sub-titles.

I also hate games that use the DS4 speaker. Have never liked the gimick and always turn it off. Perhaps they had the intention of making it sound like a low quality recording or something? Let me listen to the audio normally pls.
I had to tweak the volumes in the audio options.
Try: voices 10, sfx 7 and music 6.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
It's mind-blowing beautiful.

One of the biggest problems the game has is the pacing, it has incredible cutscenes, incredible rides from one place to another, beautiful set pieces and stunning walks through a brand new camp. There is just a tiny bit too much open world stuff in between that could turn some people off.
But on the other hand..... It's even more surprising, almost shocking then, when it rips you out of your standard open world routine after hours and hours of doing the same (but mostly still cool, fun and exciting, don't get me wrong) stuff and shows you cutscenes, missions, brand new camps and more game world and simply stuff you never expected from a normal open world game.

Cause it's so different to what other open world games did in the past.

It's a weird pacing but my god can it surprise in this game.

Agreed but I feel like bad pacing is a byproduct of open world games in general. Horizon had this issue, AC games, The Witcher 3 (find Ciri ASAP. *spends 6 months doing everything but finding Ciri*) etc.

Oct 25, 2017
So I really thought this game would get worse as it went on, but seriously it's getting better and better. I think the atmosphere is one of the biggest selling points for this game and man am I loving playing this right now. After you upgrade some stuff in the ranged combat skills, it just improves the shooting exponentially and the game is unmatched as far as firefights at night, not in the gameplay department mind you, but the way it looks. The combination of the gunfire lighting objects up, the flashlights from the enemies, the rain effects, the trails of the bullets, it makes it so intense. It just looks so damn great. The story is also really interesting with some nice characters throughout.

Sure there's jank to be had in here, yeah some of the cutscenes are strange where it looks like content was obviously cut, but man I don't care right now, I'm feeling this game too much.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Interesting thing. This game does exactly what I was expecting in terms of visuals about Final Fantasy XV.

Remember old videos from Episode Duscae?(before the huge downgrade mess). Yeah, I think this game gets closer to that. Or even better since the old videos didn't had any anti aliasing solution.

The amount of grass is a remarkable achievement, shadows around everything with very diffuse and great filters, lighting in real time with great cloud and sky dynamics.

And what a nice thing to the see light at the peak of the mountains coming down and illuminating everything and creating shadows in real time even for the last tree that you can see in the distance. It's absolutely staggering.

Deleted member 33761

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 19, 2017
How early did you all feel confident taking on hordes? I just got to the
Getting Boozer a cool arm
part of Lost Lake and still don't feel right

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I was slaughtering a bunch of Freakers with an axe as they all surrounded me, and after the last one fell, out of nowhere my axe goes towards the camera and I start slaughtering a deer that snuck up on me.... I never laughed so much about something I felt so bad about at the same time LOL

Oct 25, 2017
After you upgrade some stuff in the ranged combat skills, it just improves the shooting exponentially and the game is unmatched as far as firefights at night, not in the gameplay department mind you, but the way it looks. The combination of the gunfire lighting objects up, the flashlights from the enemies, the rain effects, the trails of the bullets, it makes it so intense. It just looks so damn great. The story is also really interesting with some nice characters throughout.

It can't be overstated how amazing it looks when you have a firefight at night in the tunnels in this game. A visual orgasm.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
So in the area South. Where camp 4 and 5 are I'm getting pretty bad framerates on my pro. Has been pretty solid up till this point but man it gets bad at times here super frustrating

slasherjpc

Oct 25, 2017
So I wonder if there is a correlation between patch 1.0.6 crashes and those having issues prepatch versus not. I've played for hours and my only issue has been some framerate issues and pop in/draw in. Meanwhile my other buddy has been having issues left and right and got the patch and its crashing. Meanwhile it's been fine for me so far. Hmmmmmm

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
How early did you all feel confident taking on hordes? I just got to the
Getting Boozer a cool arm
part of Lost Lake and still don't feel right

bring a few mollies a few nades or pipe bombs and a couple machine guns and just park your bike closeish to the horde (park it away from them so you can jump on and ride away if needed) quicksave and fuck around if you waste your nades or too much ammo just die and you'll respawn with all your gear, you'll learn how to kite and split them up a bit.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
My wife is watching netflix and I just want to play Days Gone. Help!

Maybe time to see if I can setup remote play on my old ass laptop. edit: Damn...it won't install on my operating system. wtffff sad.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Still early in the game for me. Decided to do a bounty from Hot Springs. There's a laser-sighted sniper and everything. Whatever, kill pretty much everyone in the camp including my target. New group rolls in. Kill half of them too. Decide to grab the sniper to try and take everyone else out; only one round. Then one of them throws a pipe bomb at the sniper nest, I manage to get halfway out but I get killed by the bomb.

I have to do THE WHOLE FUCKING THING over again. I don't have the bounty item and the mission still shows on my map.

Beyond pissed right now.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I can't tell if deacon being super loud is just bad audio mixing or intended due to him being unhinged. Its often hard to hear dialogue over your bike. Cutscene audio has really bad mixing too. Had to turn on sub-titles.

i like how deacon being unhinged can actually act as a cover for technical issues. friggin' bend, always thinking :) ...

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Still haven't felt like any primary gun after the MWS at camp 2 has been better, even after hitting Trust Level 2 at camp 3.

Is the M50 Reising worth upgrading to? I can't picture carrying around a shotgun as primary.

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
Major story spoilers. Click at your own risk.

I just reunited with Sarah and am both disappointed and underwhelmed. I'm of the mind that the game should have developed the Rippers and Carlos further instead of shoehorning their arc in and instead teased Sarah being alive to cap it off. Days Gone feels like it's running a bit long now and I don't dig the whole new militia plot, especially with Sarah being gun-ho about fighting this war with the Freakers. It's also annoying that I had to choose between being a completionist and continuing the story at my own pace as the Northern half of the map becomes locked off when you move south to follow the main narrative. That's a shame and now I feel a disconnect with my character. Yes, I saved beforehand, but I was expecting maybe a few more missions before the game ends and I could just go back to do bounties and such. It's too late to go back and retread the same ground. I'm going to step away from the game for a bit since it's left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth despite being generally good. I actually thought Days Gone kept getting better up until Skizzo, or whatever his name was, sells you out. Ah well.

Last edited:

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I just reunited with Sarah and am both disappointed and underwhelmed. I'm of the mind that the game should have developed the Rippers and Carlos further instead of shoehorning their arc in and instead teased Sarah being alive to cap it off. Days Gone feels like it's running a bit long now and I don't dig the whole new militia plot, especially with Sarah being gun-ho about fighting this war with the Freakers. It's also annoying that I had to choose between being a completionist and continuing the story at my own pace as the Northern half of the map becomes locked off when you move south to follow the main narrative. That's a shame and now I feel a disconnect with my character. Yes, I saved beforehand, but I was expecting maybe a few more missions before the game ends and I could just go back to do bounties and such. It's too late to go back and retread the same ground. I'm going to step away from the game for a bit since it's left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth despite being generally good. I actually thought Days Gone kept getting better up until Skizzo, or whatever his name was, sells you out. Ah well.

Damn why did I think this would be about the gameplay or the world being ambitious, I should have known better lol. I didn't read past the first sentence but I'm still curious how it will play out.

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
1556652705-days-gone-20190430211255.png

1556652714-days-gone-20190430211600.png

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm been playing for several hours now, and I really like it. It really reminds me of third person Dying Light mixed with Far Cry/Horizon. I get this 'oh shit there's five Freakers coming at you plus more on the way your boned" feeling and I love it. You try and book it but they're on you fast. I also like that the map is fairly small (compared to other open worlds), plus the fact that icons don't crowd your minimap is nice.

I'm enjoying the story, it's keeping me engaged. I like the fact we're dropped into the world. and that not everything is explained.

Gameplay is better then what I thought, the melee and stealth is fun. I feel like, for me, the skills weren't needed. I forgot I even have skills half the time, and that I have to spend points. Crafting is interesting, has that Last of Us crafting inside the menu wheel thing/no pause when crafting which I personally enjoy. Makes the game get crazy, especially when I had seven wolves come at me, which ending up being a battle with juggling crafting/healing with attacking/dodging.

I also like the 'bike babysitter' aspect. I view it as the bike being kinda like a metal horse; I've also grown attached to it. I get nervous when I have to leave it for a while hah.

However, the loading times are terrible, and I find the cutscenes are... disjointed? All this fading to black stuff. I get it's because the cutscenes must be CGI, but I became so used to games where the cutscene melts seamlessly into gameplay. I'm also getting slowdown/stuttering, which I don't know if it's the game or my Pro. Hopefully it's the game.

I would give it an 8/10, but all these slowdowns/loading is starting to grate on me. I might drop it to a 7.5/10; I'll see if the technical issues can be improved, or if I can learn to ignore them.

Original Man

Alt account
Banned
Apr 28, 2019
Just took out my first mega horde using the RPD and Chicago Chopper. So thrilling. Glad I have the double ammo skill and reload while running

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
I'm been playing for several hours now, and I really like it. It really reminds me of third person Dying Light mixed with Far Cry/Horizon. I get this 'oh shit there's five Freakers coming at you plus more on the way your boned" feeling and I love it. You try and book it but they're on you fast. I also like that the map is fairly small (compared to other open worlds), plus the fact that icons don't crowd your minimap is nice.

The world isn't small. The beginning map is very deceiving. Enjoy

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Still early in the game for me. Decided to do a bounty from Hot Springs. There's a laser-sighted sniper and everything. Whatever, kill pretty much everyone in the camp including my target. New group rolls in. Kill half of them too. Decide to grab the sniper to try and take everyone else out; only one round. Then one of them throws a pipe bomb at the sniper nest, I manage to get halfway out but I get killed by the bomb.

I have to do THE WHOLE FUCKING THING over again. I don't have the bounty item and the mission still shows on my map.

Beyond pissed right now.

On the first bounty for hot springs this happened to me. I cleaned the camp and left the the guys up on the tower, killed them (i was at the top too) a pack of wolves came to the top of the tower lol and then another group of guys came to the camp. I did manage to stay alive but my ammo was all gone.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Man, in the third area now, and I really can't describe just how *right* this game feels as someone who grew up in a rural area in Oregon.

Everything just looks and feels right, every bit of the foliage feels completely natural.

It's fun to just "take a knee" and look at the game.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
A few things about the Mad Max comparisons to Days Gone:

- there's a lot more scenes and "story" presented in Days Gone, Mad Max was rather sparse here.
- Mad Max was a very Mad-Max story. If you've seen most of the movies (fury road being an outlier here) then you have an idea of what can be expected in terms of major story beats and outcomes. In this way the game really excelled, though a player not so familiar with Mad Max might think they ultimately don't accomplish a whole lot.
- managing fuel consumption is much more of a factor in Days Gone, where you can often use the environment to your advantage here. It's a more interesting mechanic here than in Mad Max, too, since you're not battling long stretches of nothing with the occasional combatant to run into or a convoy route to avoid, there are more facets to the environment in Days Gone, and you run into them more often (verticality, wildlife, freakers, pop-up events, and the hordes)

Yea I never had to worry about fuel in Mad Max. You got a ton of miles with a full tank and there were enough gas cans to go around. The biggest puzzle was having one stored in the back to you can fill a generator for the air balloons.