• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Really happy for it's success. It's so far my GoTY and tbh the rest of the year is hardly on fire so could well stay there.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Can someone actually explain the hate for days gone?

I think largely what it boils down to is that it's very safe. Or at least as safe as a big-budget, AAA game can get in today's market. Zombies, open world, light stealth mechanics, skill trees, side-quests, so on and so forth. A game with little identity of its own, but bearing many of the hallmarks to guarantee it commercial success. And then on top of all that were the obvious similarities to a certain mega-successful, Sony-owned IP that has a new instalment coming out next year.

Days Gone had the stench of over-familiarity all over it from the day it was announced, and some people responded negatively to that.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Eh...Days Gone was an okay game but congrats to Bend.
It took way too long to get going and then just dragged on. Game should've started and ended at the
3rd camp
Everything before and after that was just watever
oh and...
Rikki>>>Sarah

Also good to see goat racer still selling well.

Oct 27, 2017
It has rough spots but it's amazing as a whole. Maybe my GOTY. Loved the world, setting, characters, combat and vibe. Would love to see sequel expand into California, Nevada, Rocky Mountains or a Desert.

If the sequel can basically be the same game but with pacing and intensity from camp 3 and onwards it will be great

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anthem wasn't a flop, only the metacritic was.

Is that so? I thought EA wanted very strong sales out of it through this period, IIRC they were expecting 6 million WW out of the gate sales which it fell well short of. And even specifically in the U.K. less than 200k in several months doesn't seem great to me.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Ok now you have the money, so no more excuse. Give me this fucking Siphon Filter reboot.

Now that would be something to actually get excited about. Syphon Filter would nicely fill the void left by MGS and Splinter Cell (despite being very different).

I'd imagine a modern Syphon Filter playing a lot along the lines of those two, however.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't done my bit yet but I'll be buying Days Gone at the start of September. Looking forward to it.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
its sad how people downplay the hard work of a studio by assuming that a game is automatically a success just based on the formular on paper.

if it was just that easy.......

for the studio itself (that was developing handheld games )it was definetely a huge task and risk, developing such a massive AAA Triple Game with a small studio like that.
at the end of the day you have to deliver and create a great game, which it turned out to be (based on fan receptions - not every game has to be a 90+ Metascore Title to be enjoyed)

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Beating out Anthem was to be expected, as after the beta for that released, the word of mouth for that game was terrible. It may not have sold to EA's expectations, but did surprisingly well given the negative attention it ended up receiving. The fact that Sekiro didn't even chart on this list is what surprises me. It must have really underperformed in the UK.

Days Gone was just one of those games where it didn't feel like there was a hook to draw me into purchasing the game. There was almost nothing story related in the marketing material, and just driving around on a bike & killing zombies didn't feel like it was something I just *had to do*. That combined with the fact that I know it's going to be like $20 come the holiday meant that I had no incentive to pick it up on release. Glad that it's done well & that people have enjoyed it. I'll have to give it a look when it hits my price point :)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't played it yet. Still waiting for a deeper sale.

I don't see people throwing the term generic for beat em up or a plethora of platformers.

I've mentioned this before. There have been over 27 2D platformers on just a single platform this gen in the last 2 years alone, yet open world zombie games are referred to as generic or over played. I challenge someone to name me 27 open world zombie or horror games from the last 2 years lol.

Why was Crow served?
Were people expecting it to NOT beat Anthem and Sekiro?

How are Siege and Horizon 4 still selling like hot cakes.

It was one of the most popular picks in this thread.

What do you think will be the biggest flop of 2019?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

I've mentioned this before. There have been over 27 2D platformers on just a single platform this gen in the last 2 years alone, yet open world zombie games are referred to as generic or over played. I challenge someone to name me 27 open world zombie or horror games from the last 2 years lol.
That's what's funny. People say it's copy paste, yet a lot of the same people would say they would rather play 2d indie retro plats that come out twice a day.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Because it probably didnt. By what accounts ? Accounts like this ridiculous thread? US and China generate 70 billion dollars anually in game sales. Yet we make threads like this posting how UK generated a whopping 1 billion so far. The game has a couple hundred thousand sales and the posts we make are "its gonna set records" or it did extremely well.

People keep trying to artificially inflate this game so they can nab another one in the sony exclusives list worth playing. The middling reviews all of a sudden dont matter, but matter for other games where they align with the narative. User scores from metacritic became this solid reference and indicative of the game's quality overnight. Its pretty ridiculous the stuff around this game
You must be fun at parties

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Success Deserved. It's my favourite game this year thus far. There's a lot of familiarity but that wasn't an issue given how how much fun I was having. This game clearly had longer sales than people give this game credit for worldwide (Found success in nearly every major region we know of). I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually past RE2R.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
The word of mouth of this game is really high, I manage to cancel my preorder based on the reviews, but the word of mouth and content update manage to get me on board again and bought it.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Because it probably didnt. By what accounts ? Accounts like this ridiculous thread? US and China generate 70 billion dollars anually in game sales. Yet we make threads like this posting how UK generated a whopping 1 billion so far. The game has a couple hundred thousand sales and the posts we make are "its gonna set records" or it did extremely well.

People keep trying to artificially inflate this game so they can nab another one in the sony exclusives list worth playing. The middling reviews all of a sudden dont matter, but matter for other games where they align with the narative. User scores from metacritic became this solid reference and indicative of the game's quality overnight. Its pretty ridiculous the stuff around this game

No, it did.
The game is good and it sold well. I'm positive it probably sold double what your favorite new IP did this gen. Let it go.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Great game and kudos Bend....my GOTY so far. Yep a little drawn out and rough around the edges, but the story , characters, world and moment to moment gameplay is superb......more please and if you are on the fence with it, dive in !

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

It was one of the most popular picks in this thread.

What do you think will be the biggest flop of 2019?

I think some are just tired of zombies in general so they labelled it generic.

SoD2 had some similar complaints and I'm sure TLoU2 will face some too, but you can't deny the numbers.

Zombies are still a big draw.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Eh...Days Gone was an okay game but congrats to Bend.
It took way too long to get going and then just dragged on. Game should've started and ended at the
3rd camp
Everything before and after that was just watever
oh and...
Rikki>>>Sarah

Also good to see goat racer still selling well.

I thought it was better than okay but it wasn't a great game 7 to a 8/10.
I agree the game is way too long especially
all the militia section, I thought the game was ending and there was still like 30-40% of the game left.

Oct 25, 2017
I think some are just tired of zombies in general so they labelled it generic.

SoD2 had some similar complaints and I'm sure TLoU2 will face some too, but you can't deny the numbers.

Zombies are still a big draw.
Pfft o plz ain't nobody gonna say them things bout tlou2 lol ain't nobody gonna wrote a thesis on why clickers are zombies like they did freakers(yes this happened)