• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Jim and Herman aren't nearly as bad as people (on this forum and other places) make them out to be, shocking.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I wonder what exactly can he say?
That's what he tweeted few days ago

I think he tried to, to see if there was any more to that Jason Bloomberg article or extract something juicy, but it seems like Jeff isn't biting, and is instead implying that Sony has a good balance between being hands off and allowing freedom, but still maintaining some focus on ROI in order to be able to fund the next game or maintain a level of ambition in design.
Jaffe *tries to bring sony down in a passive agressive way*
Jeff "sony is quite hands off and still takes risks. they still trusts developers tremendosly. that's something i miss while working with sony"
Jaffe *tries to trash sony again*

lmao

i have a feeling Jaffe expected this to go in a different direction.

I think the tweet says it all, he is unable to confirm nor deny anything. Sounds like he just wants to hold his head up high and move on. Even if he did say anything controversal, what are the chances people will either go on full attack mode or full on defend mode towards Sony?

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
I feel like Jeff ross is saying one thing and Jaffe is just completely just saying something else and pushing a narrative truth that he has zero visibility to.

Jeff - "Sony is still very supportive and hands-off, in general they try not to take risks but they still take risks and that's refreshing"
Jaffe - "So , you can't get anything greenlit like syphon filter anymore"

🤷

Not watching but i laughed way too hard on this one

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I think the tweet says it all, he is unable to confirm nor deny anything. Sounds like he just wants to hold his head up high and move on. Even if he did say anything controversal, what are the chances people will either go on full attack mode or full on defend mode towards Sony?

Defending Herman/Jim Ryan is actually controversial

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think Jaffe needs to realise while he has no NDA from Sony, Jeff does haha.

Imagine if Don't have Jaffe an NDA. What would this guy be doing?

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Herman Hulst is "a great leader, a master at what he does." according to Jeff. Still no juicy nugget for Jaffe to chew on lol.
Jaffe: How much does Sony suck?
Jeff: They're great, very hands off.
Jaffe: Herman Hulst sucks though for sure right?
Jeff: Great leader.
Jaffe: Jim Ryan?
Jeff: Badass.
Jaffe: 😢 😢

Oct 27, 2017
I mean.

He wasn't fired, still has friends at Sony, still wants to work in the same industry and likely develop titles for PlayStation platforms in the future.

Anyone expecting him to torch Ryan, Herman and Sony is going to be disappointed.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
ya'll are going after Jaffe but I see him as asking the exact type of concerns, questions and speculations you've seen posted here nearly daily for the past year or so. i don't really see this as digging or stirring for his own sake, but rather challenging someone who's been inside Sony recently with those perceptions that have grown wild. it's a candid interview and honestly i appreciate the demystification of it all.

I have a feeling there's a very competitive and jealous nature within sony themselves among the studio. I am not asserting this just have a feeling this sort of culture exists.
Oh I suspected that back when a lot of Sony's big games started to feel very naughty dog inspired. So I think that jealousy stems from Sony treating naughty dog as thier golden child that can do no wrong...

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the tweet says it all, he is unable to confirm nor deny anything. Sounds like he just wants to hold his head up high and move on. Even if he did say anything controversal, what are the chances people will either go on full attack mode or full on defend mode at Sony?

Ok, but there are ways to say things without burning bridges. Eg instead of speaking super positively about someone or constantly defending certain business decisions, you just continually say, I don't really know what this person is like, or I don't know if that's the best strategy.

Instead it seems like he's actually positive on the direction Sony is going per Jaffe's examples, understands and respects the decisions they're making, and thinks some of the leadership (Herman Hulst) is very strong/great at their job.

Jeff sort of indirectly also told the "angry fans" that they don't necessarily know what they're talking about and should cut Sony slack on the points Jaffe was raising that some were angry about lol.

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Guy said he thought Days Gone was unfinished when he reviewed it...

...gave it 18/20.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017

Except his interview doesn't reflect his tweet. He's been pretty clear and informative during the interview and he's basically saying everything is pretty normal and to stop worrying about it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guy said he thought Days Gone was unfinished when he reviewed it...

...gave it 18/20.
i think he said he was reviewing for a print publication and wasn't in a rush to finish the review, but people who have to have their review ready for the embargo were frustrated with the bugs and many patches the game got before release.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looool, Jaffe and Jeff talking of something, not Discord...

...callers on Discord.

OP
OP
OCD Guy

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I was wondering why Jeff was sitting there so emotionless when the callers were talking....

Couldn't even hear them lol.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Brilliant production values from Jaffe

EDIT:

Jaffe: "I don't have a producer on this thing"

WELL NO FUCKING SHIT

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
One thing Jeff mentioned is interesting for a lot of developers at his age. He has maybe 2 more games left in his career before he retires, so he has to be choosy on what he works on, and if he stays with a studio or not.

I bet this will resonate with a lot of veteran developers like Kojima.

oldyella

Oct 27, 2017
ya'll are going after Jaffe but I see him as asking the exact type of concerns, questions and speculations you've seen posted here nearly daily for the past year or so. i don't really see this as digging or stirring for his own sake, but rather challenging someone who's been inside Sony recently with those perceptions that have grown wild. it's a candid interview and honestly i appreciate the demystification of it all.
Also, a lot of questions were from people who donated. That's probably where some of the more interesting questions probably came from.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair Jeff won't be insulting his previous employer if he still wants to work in the games industry for another big publisher.

Assy Grass

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 30, 2021
Jeff is obviously being professionally tactful, and Jaffe is an idiot who continues to be an idiot.

Oct 25, 2017
brutally honest but true, this was a game that needed a lot of updates on improvements
Fundamentally, it was a game that was already in development for 7 years. Sony rightfully wanted a return on investment, the game had to come out. I think if people go back in with a fresh lens on PS5 at 60fps they would have a completely different view. I would also recommend the tips that I saw on here: Play on Hard, use gyro aiming, and avoid health/focus boosts.