• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Time for them to poach Brian David Gilbert from Polygon. Him + Abby would be such a wonderful team.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty frequent if you pay attention. She does it a bit less now, but she used to complain on the podcast about having to play games at home for work. Every time they do any kind of group stream and she is pared up with Vinny she says something like "Yay I get to compete against my boss." Every time she has a break she comes back saying she enjoyed not having to play videogames over her break/vacation.

I get it. She wants to make clear that it's a job, like any other, and she owes it no special affinity or passion. And that's more than fine; it is understandable. A lot of the original crew were friends before GB started. So to them it was a thing they were building together and their friendship fed into that. For Abby it isn't that at all and probably never could be. For her it's a job. Which again, I'm not faulting her for, it just isn't fun to watch or listen to someone who isn't as enthusiastic about the thing she is covering.

There are lots of people covering this industry who are passionate and fun. And maybe that eventually fades or they have to really work to make work, I don't know the inside track, but I know their content (like the Easy Allies crew and DLC) is a lot more fun to listen to.
I've never noticed that from her myself but if that's the case that's pretty odd. Why would you take a job in the games industry if you don't have a great passion for games?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man. I can only say I'm happy for Dan, but I'm bummed beyond belief - I love videogames and don't give a fuck about Wrestling.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Bleeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Giant Bomb just lost their best personality; I'm going to miss him terribly.

Congrats to him, I think? I really wonder how much autonomy he'll have with the WWE. Granted, I've never listened to Up Up Down Down, so I don't really have a clue how hands off WWE is with content like that. I wonder if he'll still get to dabble in discussing gaming a bunch, the same way his time in the game industry allowed him to dabble in wrestling.

Still, for a guy who loves wrestling... no doubt spending time at WWE will be fascinating.

Damn I'm bummed; Giant Bomb just got significantly worse =(

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Time for them to poach Brian David Gilbert from Polygon. Him + Abby would be such a wonderful team.
Honestly his price may be way too high for Giant Bomb. If he ever leaves Polygon it would be to start his own youtube channel. Dude consistently pulls millions of views on a channel that rarely gets half that much attention. It's the same with someone like Claire and Gourmet Makes. Yeah you're going to the Polygon channel for BDG, but you aren't subscribing because you'll get hit with all of their other offerings that you don't enjoy.

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Any new hire should be new blood, somebody relatively young with a fire lit under their ass. We damn sure don't need old, burnt-out dudes mildly chuckling at Vinny's dad jokes.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
That sounds more like a shot at Dan's attention-span than anything, to me.
You could be right. Abby does love to dunk on Dan and can be pretty funny sometimes when she does.

But I also thought that because she is usually the quietest person who talks the least on all the podcast and streams.

The most excited and engaged I think I've seen her is during her Vlogs she did for E3, which weren't really about games or game content at all. In another life, I feel like she could have suceeded as a Youtube vlogger like Emma Chamberlain.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
maybe I'll get back to checking GB now, his "look at me I'm an idiot isnt it hilarious" schtick never agreed with me. Best of luck to him in WWE tho.

Oct 25, 2017
You could be right. Abby does love to dunk on Dan and can be pretty funny sometimes when she does.

But I also thought that because she is usually the quietest person who talks the least on all the podcast and streams.

The most excited and engaged I think I've seen her is during her Vlogs she did for E3, which weren't really about games or game content at all. In another life, I feel like she could have suceeded as a Youtube vlogger like Emma Chamberlain.
Do you think you might be overanalysing?

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, I would've thought Abby to be the next to leave. Given her youtube show and the recent PAX panel where she wrote a couple musical numbers, Giant Bomb doesn't seem built to really handle what she wants to do.

Good for Dan though, seems like it could be a perfect fit for him.
He was on Abby Dearest just last month.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I burned out pretty hard on Dan's "playing dumb and fucking with people" persona, especially when there were times when he legitimately didn't know what he was talking about. He and Jeff had a good banter sometimes, but Dan wouldn't know when to stop. I know he changed some when he went East, and it's obviously been several years, but he was unfortunately a big reason I shied away from a lot of their content. He probably shined brightest doing things like Burgle My Bananas, but even then, watching him tear down the display at the end while his fellow cast are telling him half-jokingly but half-seriously to be more careful, it felt like another example of "He doesn't know when to stop." Some people enjoy that. It wasn't what I was looking for, personally.

That said, I do wish him luck, and I suspect this'll be a good fit for him.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm such a huge fan of GB but it's always so hard to read threads about it. Every GB thread is full of people talking about how much a person sucks at their job, how annoying they are, how little they care about games, or how wrong they are.

I understand that these people are essentially entertainers and it's normal to want to make comments about them, but the analysis you see in these threads is so over the top. Some people truly think they know exactly what's going on behind the scenes and inside GB staffers' heads, inventing completely fleshed out stories. Just because you listen to their game podcasts and watch them play games doesn't mean you actually know these people and what their motivations are.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Dan causing confusion with Giant Bomb trending while WW3 is trending and causing this absolute masterpiece is the best way he could have left Giant Bomb. He truly left in Dan fashion.

J7fgXr6.png

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Do you think you might be overanalysing?
Is it possible? Sure. It's just a running thing I've noticed a lot (and it's not like I was looking for it). Anyway, I'm surprised she has stayed at GB as long as she has, but I would be really shocked if she didn't move on to something else in the next few years.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys... does this mean there will never be a sequel to All Systems Goku?

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being so disappointed by Death Stranding you leave the industry.

On a serious note, very sad about this, and since I dislike wrestling very much(but at the same time enjoyed the jabbing at how stupid it was whenever it was brought up), I will probably never hear from Ryckert again unless he is brought on as a guest in the future. Hopefully we still get Mahardy on sometimes, because I enjoyed his dynamic with Dan.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Weird, I would've thought Abby to be the next to leave. Given her youtube show and the recent PAX panel where she wrote a couple musical numbers, Giant Bomb doesn't seem built to really handle what she wants to do.

Good for Dan though, seems like it could be a perfect fit for him.

He was on Abby Dearest just last month.

She pretty transparently wants to be a comic and Giant Bomb is just a job in NYC that she was qualified for. I like Abby a lot but it seems less of a Giant Bomb not being equipped for her larger ideas situation and more that it's not the field she wants to be in at all.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT

Because she's in another room during recording a lot of times. Can we not re-litigate Abby AGAIN, Jesus Christ.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I would have thought that Dan got hired by Taco Bell for some corporate communication/fan advocacy position. I'm a little nervous with him going to the WWE to host a podcast; if he says the wrong thing and makes Vince McMahon mad, well...you know the rest.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Abby clearly just views GB as just another job (complaining about having to go to West Coast, referring to Vinny as her "boss" all the time, etc.).
Complete opposite of my read on this "boss" thing. To me, Abby speaks of Vinny with endearment and and awe since day 1.
In group competition videos, she is watching out/standing up for Vinny all the time.

cheesewheel

Nov 5, 2017
I loved the stuff Dan created and was involved with at GB tbh he was pretty much my remaining reason to stay premium. imo GBWest is still suffering from the loss of Dan, all their content is so bland and boring.

I hope he does really well with his wrestling podcasts.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, what a bummer. Hope he loves his new job but I guess I'm only gonna get his takes on Panning the Stream now.

I'd say bring his dad out of retirement for the crew but he wouldn't accept the NY sandwich ecosystem

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm such a huge fan of GB but it's always so hard to read threads about it. Every GB thread is full of people talking about how much a person sucks at their job, how annoying they are, how little they care about games, or how wrong they are.

I understand that these people are essentially entertainers and it's normal to want to make comments about them, but the analysis you see in these threads is so over the top. Some people truly think they know exactly what's going on behind the scenes and inside GB staffers' heads, inventing completely fleshed out stories. Just because you listen to their game podcasts and watch them play games doesn't mean you actually know these people and what their motivations are.
It's been like that since day one, from the Jeff hates Brad conspiracy to fans getting on Ryan and Vinny for smoking cigarettes on stream that one time.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Of course I return to this thread hours later just to find huge essays about why Abby isn't a Real Gamer or some crap.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would have thought that Dan got hired by Taco Bell for some corporate communication/fan advocacy position. I'm a little nervous with him going to the WWE to host a podcast; if he says the wrong thing and makes Vince McMahon mad, well...you know the rest.

Pfft. Can't you see it? He's going to topple Vince and take over the WWE.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I am absolutely crushed. Did not see this thread and only heard about it on the podcast.

Dan reinvigorated the site. He was a crucial piece to the puzzle. I am gutted from this, even though I know Dan himself is excited to step into WWE and live out his dream. If I still supported WWE, I would be following him in his future creations. Ill def be listening to his Panning the Stream podcast more, but I would be lying if I wasnt deeply saddened by the news. What he brough to GB was an element that can not be repeated or duplicated.

Thank you Dan for the laughs and what you brought to Giant Bomb in a time when things were pretty bleak. I will miss the shit out of you.

:(

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Because she's in another room during recording a lot of times. Can we not re-litigate Abby AGAIN, Jesus Christ.
I'm not relitigating anything. I just mentioned Abby's disengagement / interest in other things in a post where I kind of went through how I felt most of the hires in the last decade had similar problems, but people get really defensive about Abby for some reason. I think she was a fine hire and GBE could of used more diversity and some younger crew members. I just don't think it's really where she wants to be or what she is really enthusiastic about.

Which was my only point: I wish GB had some more people who were more energetic and engaged and it sucks that Dan is leaving because he was one of the few who still had that at the site.

At any rate, I'm just glad I found replacement content from other groups like Easy Allies because GB was starting to really bum me out as my main source of game content.

Oct 25, 2017
Abby clearly just views GB as just another job (complaining about having to go to West Coast, referring to Vinny as her "boss" all the time, etc.).

Funny you single her out on this when Vinny Dan and Alex all complained about this this year. And in today's episode Vinny himself even comments on how it's nice to just sit back and enjoy a game during the time off

You're showing some heavy selection bias here

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?

Abby's brand of comedy grates on me to no end. Her comedy isnt natural, she tries to force it on you with obvious sayings or just by chirping in and repeating what she hears. Ha Ha Alex doesnt like poop, lets talk about the poop I had or how i like to fart....Yeah no, its weak and doesnt add anything. She could leave tomorrow and nothing about the site would change

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was always the end goal. Hate the company but good on Dan for getting what he wanted out of life.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Funny you single her out on this when Vinny Dan and Alex all complained about this this year. And in today's episode Vinny himself even comments on how it's nice to just sit back and enjoy a game during the time off

You're showing some heavy selection bias here
Actually in my original post, I said I thought most of the staff was disengaged and that the new hires had a lot of the same problems. The conversation afterward only focused on Abby because people get really touchy about her. I agree there is a general malaise at GB.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Abby's brand of comedy grates on me to no end. Her comedy isnt natural, she tries to force it on you with obvious sayings or just by chirping in and repeating what she hears. Ha Ha Alex doesnt like poop, lets talk about the poop I had or how i like to fart....Yeah no, its weak and doesnt add anything. She could leave tomorrow and nothing about the site would change

Abby is wonderful and I am genuinely glad to have her on the site. I relate to her on so many levels.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.. Post-GOTY has become this weird time when someone announces they're leaving.

Really going to miss Dan. For me, both GBWest and GBEast were at their best with Dan. He has an incredible talent for coming up with goofy+fun ideas and his personality meshes well with everyone's.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
We'd have much less unique content and much less Vinny. There are plenty of other staff members you could level the "nothing would change if they left" claim at but Abby isn't one of them.