• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Maybe it's me but I feel like all last year, everyone was excited to get as much news as possible about the next gen consoles. Like everyone was looking for any little news or rumors to quench their curiosity. But now that next gen has started and the holidays are over, anyone else feel a little deflated? Maybe it's the kind of quiet Q1 we're having right now. But maybe it's more of a "Journey is more exciting than the destination kind of thing." I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Kind of, actually I just mentioned this to a friend a few minutes ago. I don't feel like any big games are coming out soon at all, but it's completely understandable with Covid, I am just enjoying going through games I never touched previously.

Also people are saying it's always like this, and I personally don't think that is accurate for the most part, unless you are a one console kind of person then sure. As someone that always owns everything I have always felt like something was coming soon, but even now with my Switch, I don't see anything coming. 2020 killed momentum.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten used to the hype/crash cycle of console launches but I've been there before. As more "built for next gen" games come out the feeling will even itself out.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Nah, I feel like you could have sold me next gen on quick resume and the improved load times alone and I'd still be happy.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
You won't really see anything of consequence until well into next year. Basically until cross-gen titles stop being a thing.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I specifically sat on playing GamePass games on my XB1 for that very reason. I'm currently swimming in a backlog.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be happy to have a continuous stream of next gen updates. God Of War, Uncharted 4, Arkham Knight, Death Stranding.

But no, not really feeling like this yet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it will be like this for a year or so. I felt this way during the PS4's first two years.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty much always like this after launch. The initial launch is great, but the second round is at least six or eight months out. At least we have last-gen to work through, still.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
This is why i wait. Theres really no reason to get a console at launch unless you really care for that upgrade, specially a launch with so few new games like this one. I got a ps4 and didnt like the first 2 years at all, didnt got any game i liked until bloodborne. So now i just wait 2 years, its enough for me to not get consumer guilty.

Oct 27, 2017
No not at all. Have way too much to play. Next gen sparked alot of last gen stuff too. Between the time suck destiny, gamepass, a few game I am playing through on ps5, and the impossible pc backlog. I'm good.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Maybe it's me but I feel like all last year, everyone was excited to get as much news as possible about the next gen consoles. Like everyone was looking for any little news or rumors to quench their curiosity. But now that next gen has started and the holidays are over, anyone else feel a little deflated? Maybe it's the kind of quiet Q1 we're having right now. But maybe it's more of a "Journey is more exciting than the destination kind of thing." I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Few thoughts:

Not really sure what you are expecting, to be honest. To release a next-gen only game so short after the holidays is a pretty stupid business idea. Unless Sony or MS are directly funding that game and also paying for any opportunity costs of not releasing a last-gen version or a PC version, it will not happen.

This was a rough year, with many games getting delayed, or just shit happening throughout the world. People took extended time off for the holidays, to relax and disconnect from all the chaos that has been happening. This means work doesn't get done for a longer time than usual, so anything that may have been planned to release soon may silently be pushed out a little bit. People are also still on vacation, so that also contributes to no releases or news being shared.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, no. But I kind of understand where you're coming from as once the PS5 was out I wondered what I'd have to look forward to next. The answer was bloody obvious: the games! Currently having such a good time on Ghost of Tsushima even though I thought ANOTHER open world game couldn't possibly do it for me.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
It's worst this time when games with next gen graphics are so rare and not even revealed since the launch.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Now we wait for the games, duh :p
I think 2021 will already be pretty entertaining I'm not really worried about that.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I have the opposite problem. Wish I could spend more time on the next gen systems I've bought lol

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
None of us have really experienced a next gen game yet. We're anticipating that.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Haha yeah you gotta plan for this next time, i've just got PS4 games lined up that I never got around to (Ni No Kuni/Days Gone/Last Guardian) as well as games on other platforms.

Next gen really doesn't properly start till 2 years in, even then it's still finding its feet. This time though, the benefits of BC and the general speed of the these new consoles makes me happy to own both even if there's not much new.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, i've been wondering the same. Want to get a PS5, but no idea what for except Demons Soul. For next 6 months it doesnt seem like it's really necessary to have a next gen console :/

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
First Launch eh?

Ever since the 360 launch (both hardware and software wise) I now just wait to jump right into the next gen.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
Now Elden ring. Now Final Fantasy 16. Now God of War Ragnarok. Now Resident Evil 8. Now Horizon Forbidden West.

Theres enough coming that I dont feel this way at all

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Delayed gratification for the win, it's better to enjoy older games at their best with new hardware rather then consuming latest releases as fast as possible at their worst state.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I barely have even touched next-gen games yet. I got hooked on improved PS4 games on my PS5...

Oct 25, 2017
No. I really enjoyed my time with the launch games and am now super hyped for Returnal. And some other games, but mostly Returnal.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Knowing how console launches usually are, and with covid everything, are precisely why I didn't pick up Day's Gone and Ghost of Tsushima until I had a PS5. I'm sure without COVID existing at all, Ratchet & Clank would have probably been ready for launch if not more titles. But between MM, Spider-Man Remastered, GoT, DG and Demon's Souls I have more than enough to play. Plus any older games I might want to play again at 60 fps *stares at God of War, Infamous, The Last Guardian...Until Dawn...* I'm mostly waiting for Returnal and for more time to pass so there are announcements. Nintendo does typically do post-holiday announcements or deep dives into something upcoming so I guess....no I'm not really feeling the same as the OP.

It's only day 8 of the new year...give it time.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Currently its the typical jannuary low. That is something that we have even when there arent new generations, and now that we are right after a launch it is even more obvious, cause people dont have a backlog on the new platforms.

Honestly? play ps4/sbox one games, and expect news in february. As things stand, i would expect the next wave of bigger games in spring, and news before that.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when I got my launch day Wii and thought it was going to change the way I gamed forever. Proceeded to play Twilight Princess for the first few months solidly, which I could've definitely just played on my Gamecube.

We all get excited about new console launches but, having been through every one since the NES, you're largely getting a new PlayStation/Xbox that is mostly the same. We tend to all go a bit over the top in the pre-release hype.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Nah this could easily be predicted. I'm mostly playing last gen games now, waiting for sales on the launch games I didn't get.

you can't always be chasing that next dose of hype

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yea this is partly why I didn't get a PS5 yet. It feels like the only really big next gen game is Demon's Souls, and I already know what Demon's Souls is like. I don't need a prettier version with dual sense just yet, but I sure would like to play some other previously existing stuff with a new RTX card so I did that instead. There's also just not a lot of very interesting stuff on the horizon for either console and a lot of it will be on PS4 as well.

2020 is a weird year for gaming, new machines came out and some of the most anticipated games like FFVIIR and Half Life but the game that got the most people talking is a weird little indie roguelike on PC and Switch. Just shows that there's no need to go for the big shiney new toys just yet, kinda reminds me of when Walking Dead was the biggest critical hit of 2012.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
It just feels like upgrading my iPhone and I'm ok with that. I've been loving the faster load times and playing last gen games i never got a chance to play.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I remember when I got my launch day Wii and thought it was going to change the way I gamed forever. Proceeded to play Twilight Princess for the first few months solidly, which I could've definitely just played on my Gamecube.

We all get excited about new console launches but, having been through every one since the NES, you're largely getting a new PlayStation/Xbox that is mostly the same. We tend to all go a bit over the top in the pre-release hype.
Yup. Always been like this. But, to answer your question, we have to get over the hump of covid and then we'll be good

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I played the shit out my PS5 with Demons Souls and Spiderman but once Cyberpunk released its been all PC gaming for me. Still looking forward to finishing Spiderman Remastered then Jumping into Miles Morales. I feel ya OP but luckily i'm distracted by Cyberpunk with a decently powerful PC so it feels pretty damn next gen still.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is why backwards compat is so important in the first couple of years.

I bought a PS5 to play PS5 and PS4 games. Bonus value if you didn't get a mid-gen refresh as older games can benefit from the extra horsepower.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Next gen speculation is some of my favorite things in gaming. Letting your imagination run amok and hyping up and setting expectations, it's just a time for dreaming. That's when I spend more time here in the forums. Now? It's time to actually play. I'm going through my backlog as of right now. It's only 6-7 games, and I am happy with it. Having more is just too stressful. I am happy that everything launched and went well, I just enjoy the ride.

Ngapekz

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Not for me - I still get excited to play my PS5. I have finished Demon's souls, Miles Morales and Astros Playroom but there are so many PS4 games I can play that are enhanced in the PS5.

I finished the Last Guardian which at 4K 60fps nearly feels next gen and I'm half way through Sekiro. Next I'm planning to play Ghost of Tsushima so there's plenty to play until the next batch of PS5 games come out

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
PS5 is my first PlayStation, so I'm having a great time playing PS4 exclusives. By the time I work through this back log, I'm sure there will be more PS5 games out

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I have a lot to play but that's because I don't have as much time as I used to. Played through Demon's Souls and am eventually going to play NG+. Have Miles Morales but I haven't opened it yet lol. Started some games in the backlog like Uncharted Lost Legacy and The Surge as BC titles.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I dont even have my PS5 plugged in. Unplugged it for the one x because of all the gamepass games that got added.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
That's what consumerism does to us. It makes us feel like the next thing we buy will solve our problems and fill the hunger, but it's never enough. Instead of sating our desire, it is replaced by a deeper hunger.

A hunger for a 12 pack of McNuggets but dipped in Chik-Fil-A sauce and washed down with Baja Blast.

This is a fact about capitalism.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
"Now what" did pop into my mind for a second, but then I remembered that I've played some great games already, still playing Demon's Souls, I've got last gen games with better performance, and I'm looking forward to Returnal and Deathloop in the next couple months.