• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this sucks. Absolutely loved them and wished to see them live one day.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way for me to express how sad I am about this. I was hoping against hope they were working on that Tron movie that's in development hell. Without them...like, what's the point?

They will be missed :(

But honestly, It has been a long time since they released anything, all they have done between RAM and now is producing a bunch of stuff here and there, and two or three collaborations, so this comes as no surprise.

I would like to see these guys as their spiritual successors.

You're in luck since they did a track with them, and it is a PERFECT fusion of the two bands. It's so Parcels, but it's also so Daft Punk.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Fucking sucks, but it was a hell of a ride Daft Punk.

I will never forget the first time I heard 'Around the World' in my brothers' car. I can recall exactly where we were the moment the song started lol

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Damn that fucking video...Touch was always my favorite song of theirs.... shit is hitting very different right now. I'm so fucking bummed. I would play RAM every night at 11pm when I was driving home from my closing shift. Watch I5555 every Saturday on a Toonami Aftermath stream 😭 shit this is such a bummer

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm legitimately sad. I mean, if they feel they have nothing more to say as Daft Punk that's fair. But, I was hoping for one more Alive tour.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This is sad, but they maintained an extremely high level of quality over a really long period of time.

I think when people look back on the 2000s-ish, they're going to be an act that people remember way more in proportion to how big they actually were.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
LMkIzun.gif

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Fuck, I think that was a tear in my eyes listening to them, realizing I'll never have a chance to hear them live now.
This hits me really hard, no idea why

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was still hoping for one more tour so I could have a chance at seeing them live... Just wanted one more album :(

I feel so sad, Daft Punk helped me through some of my worst times. Fuck, this hurts.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's the trick people figured out?

pitchfork.com

Cover Story: Daft Punk

After 20 years, the world has finally caught up with Daft Punk, so the helmet-clad retro-futurists are embarking on a new mission: to make music breathe again

The day after the pair's refurbished guises were revealed on Coachella's screens as planned—causing mad dashes and some of the festival's most excited outbursts—Bangalter says everything about RAM and its buildup is about the surprise, the magic. "When you know how a magic trick is done, it's so depressing," he explains. "We focus on the illusion because giving away how it's done instantly shuts down the sense of excitement and innocence."

I see that this quote has also been mentioned today in different articles. They were basically saying that they had decided to make RAM in a way that kids with computers could not.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Would have given a lot to be able to see them live once.

This was the cherry on a day that sucked to begin with. Maybe there'll be a reunion at some point but it's not like they are getting any younger.

It's kind of weird to drop this after years of silence so a part of me still holds out for an album or track called epilogue. It's the same part that still waits for Winds of Winter.

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
There is no way for me to express how sad I am about this. I was hoping against hope they were working on that Tron movie that's in development hell. Without them...like, what's the point?

You're in luck since they did a track with them, and it is a PERFECT fusion of the two bands. It's so Parcels, but it's also so Daft Punk.

Wow, I'm just finding out about this fact, then it's official, they have already passed down the torch onto the new generations.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
For fucks sake Disney. You had to fucking wait so long to make Tron 3. Might as well not bother anymore.

Sad day. I just hope they've split in good terms. Always sad to hear about a band or a duo get in a fight after decades of working together.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
They chose their best song for this farewell video.
I've been listening to DP since my schooldays when Discovery got really big. Still, this news does not really shock me. Since Alive 2007 (fourteen years ago), they released a nice soundtrack and the lackluster RAM so I've already come to the conclusion that they might not produce another album that really hits my taste. But that's fine, with Homework, Discovery, Alive 2007 and - to a lesser extent - Human After All, they shaped my preference in music like barely any other artists. And for that I'm very thankful.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
There's no way this is some sort of tease for a last album, is it? Anyone...? Please, don't let this be it... :(

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
They should've gone for an Alive 2017 and just called it after that. But no big deal, RAM was decent for some songs but with so much great music being produced it's hard to hold a candle for this couple who release an album once every few years.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I cried three times listening to Discovery on the way home from work today.

They're forever. And they defined a larger chunk of my life than I thought.

Almost hurts more that this is just a split up rather than a death.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
What a shame they've split up.

They were one of the first groups I got into growing up.

They will be missed :(

But honestly, It has been a long time since they released anything, all they have done between RAM and now is producing a bunch of stuff here and there, and two or three collaborations, so this comes as no surprise.

I would like to see these guys as their spiritual successors.

Parcels are fantastic.

Live Vol. 1 was my album of the year.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
I cried three times listening to Discovery on the way home from work today.

They're forever. And they defined a larger chunk of my life than I thought.

Almost hurts more that this is just a split up rather than a death.
Ummm what? Regardless of how insane that sounds you do realise they can still make music separately or even together it just won't be under the Daft Punk moniker.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Ummm what? Regardless of how insane that sounds you do realise they can still make music separately or even together it just won't be under the Daft Punk moniker.
The moniker, the ID, the persona is what's important.

You don't understand. Daft Punk isn't two musicians. It's two robots who strived to become human. It's about a fictional universe in which technology came to a point in which it began to admire and envy it's creators. We, humanity are ugly, we're flesh, we constantly strive to be something that we're not. Daft Punk is a pair of robots who saw something in us we couldn't and wished more than anything that they could be it. To be human, after all.

So no, it's not about the sound to me. It's about their lore and story. It's over. And more than that, the video they released told a story that hurt. Silver Robot wanted to stop. Gold let Silver go. And then, Gold carried on. That's not what happens in the movie that clip is from. In the movie... Well I won't spoil it. It's one of my favorite endings ever. Either way, yes. I'm sad about this.