• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

No third person. Is this a deal-breaker?

• Yes

Votes: 330 14.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,955 85.6%

• Total voters

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It's not a deal breaker, but in a game where you can customise your characters I do feel it's a shame we can't see them. I felt the same way about Outer Worlds.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
you know what i don't get? why can't they just put in a idle animation in third person that zooms back to first person when you move your character?
i don't know much about game development but i can't be that hard to implement. recently i found out the outer worlds is doing the exact same thing

it's a nice solution because that way you won't get to see your character only in a static menu or when you look for mirrors in the game.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
This topic was bizarre to me when it first trended, and it's still bizarre today. Like, first person perspective games have been a thing for almost 30 years; why all of a sudden is it considered controversial that a game is designed as first person perspective? Seems to literally just be a case of "CDP's last game was third person, and I liked that game, so this one should be too", which is ridiculous.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
After all three Witcher games I think the majority of people thought it was a given Cyberpunk would be third person as well, I automatically assumed it for sure. But I guess those close combat encounters wouldn't work for the game maybe. Still, I'd take a optional third person mode like BGS does.

The camera view is never quite perfect but great to see your character.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
This topic was bizarre to me when it first trended, and it's still bizarre today. Like, first person perspective games have been a thing for almost 30 years; why all of a sudden is it considered controversial that a game is designed as first person perspective? Seems to literally just be a case of "CDP's last game was third person, and I liked that game, so this one should be too", which is ridiculous.
To be fair, they made a huge deal about the way your character could be customized initially, so it's kind of their own fault for building expectations around that.

Personally, I'm not denying anyone first person games. That's perfectly fine. But it's definitely way less interesting to me.

Mostly though I'm just not going to jump into a game that has a vastly different game design from what the developers are used to making, even if it's CDP. I'm waiting for reviews (post honeymoon) for this one, no rush

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
To be fair, they made a huge deal about the way your character could be customized initially, so it's kind of their own fault for building expectations around that.

There are have been plenty of of FPP games released over that same 30 years that have also featured character creation, so that's not anything weird either. It just seems like everyone had this preconceived notion of what CDP was allowed to make after the success of The Witcher 3. Did Guerrilla Games get this much flack when they announced that Horizon would be 3rd person? After all, they had only been known for FP previously.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
No, it's better. Just like the original Deus Ex. Third Person view influences the game design too much and ruins it (see Human Revolution).

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
There are have been plenty of of FPP games released over that same 30 years that have also featured character creation, so that's not anything weird either.

There has been? Like what? I thought Far Cry 5 was strange in that you could pick a character and a bunch of different clothes, but never see it. Dying Light too. Those games had multiplayer though, so it made some sense. Those are the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
There has been? Like what? I thought Far Cry 5 was strange in that you could pick a character and a bunch of different clothes, but never see it. Dying Light too. Those games had multiplayer though, so it made some sense. Those are the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head.

Just off the top of my head:

• Morrowind
  • Oblivion
  • Skyrim
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Destiny
  • Destiny 2
  • PUBG
  • No Man's Sky
And that's just a few. Not to mention every modern FPS that allows you to buy cosmetic microtransactions (Overawatch, Battlefront II, the list goes on and on)

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

• Morrowind
  • Oblivion
  • Skyrim
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Destiny
  • Destiny 2
  • PUBG
  • No Man's Sky
And that's just a few. Not to mention every modern FPS that allows you to buy cosmetic microtransactions (Overawatch, Battlefront II, the list goes on and on)
All those games you mentioned have a third person mode during gameplay though. Even Destiny has you spend a considerable amount of time in third person during gameplay via. Overwatch being the only exception where you don't actually have a third person mode outside of emotes and Ults.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I play Skyrim/Fallout in first Person exclusively.

I find I'm more prone to simulation sickness if it's in third person than first person

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017

• Morrowind
  • Oblivion
  • Skyrim
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Destiny
  • Destiny 2
  • PUBG
  • No Man's Sky

8 out of 10 of those games have a third person mode.

Edit - I guess Destiny games as well? Never really played those.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
8 out of 10 of those games have a third person mode.

Edit - I guess Destiny games as well? Never really played those.

Granted, they do, but they are primarily designed as FPP and the TPP option is 100% an afterthought, with very little actual game design catering to it. I know that people will argue here that "Skyrim had a TPP option, so Cyberpunk should too", which really just does a disservice to the real differences in game design theory that exist between designing a playspace for one perspective versus the other.

Noire

Oct 25, 2017
Almost a deal breaker. I am terrible at first person games, but I'll try it regardless because I like the theme... probably will end up giving up on it within first few hours though :(

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a deal breaker for me, but my excitement for if dropped significantly because of it.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. It all depends on how the game behaves and feels but in general I don't mind either first or third person perspectives.

qtamir1

Oct 28, 2017
it isn't a deal breaker but it will affect this game specifically on my opinion because for an rpg where customization on character is really important it would be a bummer not to see the changes be reflected visually but only gameplay wise. also i wonder how much cinimatically the animations and everything would feel in first person if third person was probably a focus for a while in development... so far it seems amazing and don't mind it being only first person but i do wonder if having third person would be even better in certain places like cut-scenes and etc...