• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
Expected but nice to see devs come out and talk about it.

People need to just think of buying these consoles as the same as if you were to upgrade your hardware in your PC. Everything still works and you don't need to re-buy anything, and existing games will be built with future hardware upgrades in mind. If devs want to charge for something, it will have to be worth it. Like a full game remake, not a simple resolution upgrade.

Just look at what Valve has been doing with steam for the past decade and these consoles will emulate it.
That's the way I've always thought it would go. Consoles have always followed the lead of PC. When I buy a game on Steam I don't expect to have to re-buy it when I build a new PC just to run it at higher settings. I don't know why so many in the console space are eager for "remasters" of games like TLOU II and CyberPunk when they should be expected to just buy once and play it on their new consoles with all the new bells-and-whistles when available.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Very awesome. This is how it should be.
But I agree it sounds like there's just a Xbox one version of the game.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ok, but see, this then is CDPR taking credit for what Microsoft is offering. They're claiming they believe that every gamer should not have to pay for upgrades but this is really MS offering this, not them. So we should be thanking MS, not CDPR who is just taking advantage of a feature some one else is offering. IF this was from CDPR, we'd see this on Playstation too. Hell, if they really put their money where their mouth was you could buy it on one platform and get it on any other platform regardless of what it was. Not that I have a problem with buying a PC version if I have the PS version, but they're the ones making this statement.
You're confused. MS offers the system, but they didn't force CDPR to use it for Cyberpunk. Smart Delivery is optional for third parties. CDPR is choosing to use it for their players.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Well, this is specifically for Xbox's Smart Delivery system. Sony would have to announce something similar or else CD Projekt RED will most likely have their own system in place.

I'm going to quote what I told some one else on this thread:

Ok, but see, this then is CDPR taking credit for what Microsoft is offering. They're claiming they believe that every gamer should not have to pay for upgrades but this is really MS offering this, not them. So we should be thanking MS, not CDPR who is just taking advantage of a feature some one else is offering. IF this was from CDPR, we'd see this on Playstation too. Hell, if they really put their money where their mouth was you could buy it on one platform and get it on any other platform regardless of what it was. Not that I have a problem with buying a PC version if I have the PS version, but they're the ones making this statement.

How in the world could they get away with such a statement about not needing to buy the game again, but then make PS4 owners do that for their PS5? This is almost certainly their policy for both consoles.

See the person I quoted on this thread... this is MS's policy and CDPR is taking advantage of it to claim it's theirs. So, no gaurentees at all it's the same with PS5. And honestly, if it was, why would they specifically target MS and ignore playstation which they already announced it was coming on?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I know many companies will port this gen games, but it's a waste.

Glad CDPR gets it.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks CDPR but I have to ask, why is this even a thing? All these games should be forward compatible.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused - are they confirming that Cyberpunk 2077 will also release on Xbox Series X? (Because this would be the first time they're confirming a next-generation version.) Or are they confirming that Cyberpunk 2077 for Xbox One will receive a patch that makes it run better / look nicer on Xbox Series X?

not sure that Series X "versions" and Series X patches are necessarily going to be mutually exclusive

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So is this basically just like Pro and X patches for games? You buy a game on Xbox One and on Xbox Series X a patch will make use of that additional horse power?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It sounds like it will just be the Xbox One version and even if you don't own an Xbox anything until you buy the Xbox Series X; once you put the game disc in the system, it will automatically download the upgrade while installing it.

Essentially, it's a version for both systems and there only needs to be 1 manufactured and that will be the Xbox One version.

There will still be a Series X version manufactured.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I'm going to quote what I told some one else on this thread:

See the person I quoted on this thread... this is MS's policy and CDPR is taking advantage of it to claim it's theirs. So, no gaurentees at all it's the same with PS5. And honestly, if it was, why would they specifically target MS and ignore playstation which they already announced it was coming on?

Jesus come on. So you think they are going to alienate the platform that will most likely sell the most copies of the game.

the reason they are announcing it about Xbox is because they clearly have a marketing deal with Xbox. Wasn't the e3 conference not blatant enough.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It kind of sounds like you're confusing standard backwards compatibility with what this Cyberpunk announcement seems to be (upgrading to the obviously planned XSX version of the game for free).

I mean, obviously they aren't going to charge people extra to play Modern Warfare. It will be backwards compatible.

All of the games I mentioned will probably have the same type of upgrades (4K, 60FPS, Ray Tracing, etc) as Cyberpunk. Basically they will be on par with their PC counterparts. You're right, none of them have "announced" this yet, but it's coming. That's what we're talking about here. I think you're just failing to understand the change that is coming next gen. This is more akin to upgrading from a 1060 to 2080 on PC. There is no up charge involved there.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Wait... is this not going to be like the norm on every game?

I was just assuming it was going to be like the Pro / X where the upgrades are you know... just free?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like one of those Good Guy MS type of situations. Sony might follow considering the game is going to release so close to the new consoles but you never know.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
There will be no XBSX version of the game, but a patch to cyberpunk XBO to next gen standards, look forward! Otherwise the whole smart delivery point is mute

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
There will still be a Series X version manufactured.
Why would they need to waste the time with manufacturing costs when there's already a version available that will give you everything that would be on a Series X version? The only difference would be that the data might all fit on one disk, versus downloading it for free.

I don't see a need to have 2 different sku's for the exact same experience and content🤷‍♂️
There will be no XBSX version of the game, but a patch to cyberpunk XBO to next gen standards, look forward! Otherwise the whole smart delivery point is mute
Agreed🤘

Rainemane

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this essentially backwards compatibility with a free patch update? This should easily be expected on PS5 I'd assume. People are accustom to this through one x and pro patches that took advantage of the more powerful hardware there.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
This should absolutely be the norm and anyone who tries to charge for remasters of current gen games can fuck off.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

Not really. Since they could've easily said: "nah, we want separate version", which I'm sure some publishers will do.

As for PS5, we still don't know anything solid about the console and the ecosystem so they may not be allowed to share anything yet. Or Sony's approach might be different than Microsoft's to cross-gen.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I was just assuming it was going to be like the Pro / X where the upgrades are you know... just free?
both systems will have BC. they'll run the games from last gen.
but this is kinda different. it's like if you could play the ps4/xb1 version of gta5 by having the last gen version.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
People are already used for free Pro/X patches that enhance visuals.

That's different. The Pro and X were mid-gen console upgrades. What MS is doing here is akin to buying a 360 game and getting an automatic upgrade of it for the Xbox One at no additional cost whereas before you'd have to fork out more money for an upgraded version of that game.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
both systems will have BC. they'll run the games from last gen.
but this is kinda different. it's like if you could play the ps4/xb1 version of gta5 by having the last gen version.

Well I was hoping this was going to be a mandate to not charge as was the case with the Pro / X. I guess that won't be the case this time around. Bummer.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Publishers still are gonna try to charge for ports, CDPR is just better in regards to issues like this.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

I see a few people saying this, but I feel like it was never guaranteed only because the Pro & One X are mid-generation upgrades. It would be insane to ask users to pay some kind of fee for upgrades on those consoles, but a full, next-generation console is never guaranteed to get upgrades. This is Xbox saying "we got you, no matter what".

Oct 27, 2017

No there are different SKUs between generations so you are getting a second licence included with the purchase. It won't be the norm unless everyone gets on board and I doubt that will happen quickly or easily.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox going off! Great news.

I'm honestly amazed they're playing this card after a generation that was dominated in sales by a port of a last gen game. But I'll take it!

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Wonderful. Cant wait to see what BS shenanigans Activision tries to pull with CoD this fall. What other pubs can we see not doing the right thing here like CDPR?

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I see a few people saying this, but I feel like it was never guaranteed only because the Pro & One X are mid-generation upgrades. It would be insane to ask users to pay some kind of fee for upgrades on those consoles, but a full, next-generation console is never guaranteed to get upgrades. This is Xbox saying "we got you, no matter what".

I mean they're just making it "available" to every developer. That isn't really saying they got you no matter what. I guess its hard to get everyone on board with this. Rockstar could sell another 10+ million copies of GTA5 or whatever by not going along with it.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
That's different. The Pro and X were mid-gen console upgrades. What MS is doing here is akin to buying a 360 game and getting an automatic upgrade of it for the Xbox One at no additional cost whereas before you'd have to fork out more money for an upgraded version of that game.
IMO, CD Projekt always had a positive approach to games, no nonsense products with free DLC and large expansions, lots of goodies in retail boxes, etc.

I still expect that EA/Acti/TakeTwo and others will not easily offer free upgrades. BC is present, but Rockstar likes to resell their games.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Smart delivery sounds more like being able to tell it what part you want it to download first as opposed to free upgrades.

Jun 5, 2018
I fully expect this to be limited to digitally owned games if it is in fact giving you the next gen release instead of a compatibility upgrade otherwise unless they intend to include a code with every new purchase how will they stop people from just sharing the xbox1 copy around to allow multiple people to get the upgrade for free?

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why would they need to waste the time with manufacturing costs when there's already a version available that will give you everything that would be on a Series X version? The only difference would be that the data might all fit on one disk, versus downloading it for free.

I don't see a need to have 2 different sku's for the exact same experience and content🤷‍♂️

Agreed🤘
I think there is zero chance that a game getting upgraded to Series X just after releasing for this gen will not also get reprinted as a Series X sku and in the new Series X plastic cases to make damn sure that every Best Buy and GameStop puts it on the new shelves. It's just not smart to throw a sticker on the Xbox One case and leave it on the old Xbox One shelves and assume everyone will know what they're looking for.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
IMO, CD Projekt always had a positive approach to games, no nonsense products with free DLC and large expansions, lots of goodies in retail boxes, etc.

I still expect that EA/Acti/TakeTwo and others will not easily offer free upgrades. Rockstar likes to resell their games.

And they're gonna get slammed for it if they do. Reselling old games on newer hardware is shitty. Hopefully most 3rd party devs see that.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
That's not what cross gen means. Cross gen refers to development plans for a game to release near-simultaneously on two gens. It is not for what you're describing, like remasters and ports that came months or years later for another gen.

Cyberpunk is not cross gen. It was always trying to release for this gen. Next gen has remained an unconfirmed "how" and "if" that we don't know much about their plans for at all.
A cross gen game means support for multiple generations simultaneously. I think this is the best definition we have for now. If a developer is actively supporting the game on different console generations, it's a cross gen game. A port/remaster has typically referred to the case where support for a game on one platform has (or is soon to be) ended (or is extremely reduced), and is moving to supporting only the new version of the game.

The transition to the next generation will be different than prior generations. The ecosystems in place are unlike those that have existed in any prior gen, it means we need to expand our consideration of what "cross gen" means for a game.
  • "Near-simultaneous" If this is the case, what is the acceptable period of time before we can't consider it cross-gen anymore? Does there exist a period of time where a game ceases to be cross gen, and is then a port?
  • Can it be considered a remaster/port if it's actually the same SKU? In this case one purchase grants access to the game on two distinct generations of consoles. CDPR is promising that when running on the next gen platform (Series X) it will be updated to take advantage of that hardware. The game will work across generations.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I think there is zero chance that a game getting upgraded to Series X just after releasing for this gen will not also get reprinted as a Series X sku and in the new Series X plastic cases to make damn sure that every Best Buy and GameStop puts it on the new shelves. It's just not smart to throw a sticker on the Xbox One case and leave it on the old Xbox One shelves and assume everyone will know what they're looking for.
That's a valid point, but it seems like a waste of money to repackage the same exact content and experience just for the sake of having some different words on a slightly different game case.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are really making this more complicated than it is. Consoles are just like PCs now. You buy a game, and it will run on all kinds of hardware.

I fully expect this to be limited to digitally owned games if it is in fact giving you the next gen release instead of a compatibility upgrade otherwise unless they intend to include a code with every new purchase how will they stop people from just sharing the xbox1 copy around to allow multiple people to get the upgrade for free?
? It will just be the same software package for the various hardware models. The Xbox One hardware line and the next gen hardware line is the same architecture. You don't buy different versions of a game for different PC GPUs, you won't have to for different console hardware either.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
? It will just be the same software package for the various hardware models. The Xbox One hardware line and the next gen hardware line is the same architecture. You don't buy different versions of a game for different PC GPUs, you won't have to for different console hardware either.
Exactly. The game code is only limited to what the hardware can push out; so the Xbox Series X will have an upgrade allowing it to perform better than it does on the Xbox One using the same base game code.

It's that simple👍

Nobody re-bought Crysis when they upgraded their computer - they just got to play their already owned copy in better quality and fidelity.