Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please elaborate, because I found nothing of substance in those quests, especially "Dream On" which just ends without resolution.

I'm not sure I follow - weren't you arguing that there was a dearth of quests w/ sci-fi / cyberpunk themes, that engaged with the game's setting? Those are quests with such themes.

If you want me to try to defend the quality of those quests, I can (I did quite like most of them, even the ambiguous ending to "Dream On"), but that wasn't really my point. Certainly, I preferred them to the Deus Ex quests (which were also good, especially Mankind Divided's!), mostly because of the human elements therein, and because many were much longer and more elaborate, but that's really a separate argument.

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Getting the band back together.

LRqGJnS.jpg

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Please elaborate, because I found nothing of substance in those quests, especially "Dream On" which just ends without resolution.

If a corp/mysterious entity remotely hacking into and altering a mayoral candidate and his wifes dreams to control their reality isn't cyberpunk enough for you then I don't really know what to tell you.

This is without bringing up the cyberpsycho boss fights, which basically cover almost everything you mentioned about Deus Ex.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Just finished the game on my messy jack of all trade build masculine V.
Now making a feminine V gonna focus on Blades and Snipes and hopefully get the secret ending this time around.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Even if loot shows up? After I hit them they fall to the ground but the loot shows immediately, so I was under the impression they were actually dead.

Yeah, I noticed it yesterday. Sometime people are lootable and lying on the ground but if you coup de-grace them or hide the body you will get the bounty for them (if there is one on your scanner)/XP/street cred. I believe possibly if they are not dismembered and don't have a puddle of blood underneath them (unless they died by burning/shock) you can still kill/hide the body for XP. So it did actually behoove my V to walk around putting bullets in asses after the fight was over.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
That's how they did The Witcher 3 though and that was open world on an even bigger scale.

And while they don't utilize sandbox elements at all, a surprising amount of the open world is used when you factor in all of the gigs. A ton of the unique assets and areas in the city are used in those missions.

The Witcher 3 was also a fantasy game with lots of wilderness so the emptiness makes sense in that context. It makes a difference. It's more believable in the Witcher world.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Game breaking bug. On PC
doing the Automatic Love.
at Afterlife and talked to Woodman. Decided to kill him then reload my save where he's alive again.
this time there's no indicator to leave Cloud
Can't get weapons in the locker
Can't leave the place either
Only got it fix by reloading my save before I entered the building.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I have to say I'm god damn impressed how well this game remembers where I left my cars that I don't even own.

I parked my Arasaka SUV to the Alderado camp and did like 10 quests in between, then I found it right where I left it when I returned.

Compared to GTA which despawns usually everything I lose a line of sight to.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
the sidequests in act 2 have been very good and scaling buildings and getting around enemies with double jump really does make it feel like Deus Ex

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I have to say I'm god damn impressed how well this game remembers where I left my cars that I don't even own.

I parked my Arasaka SUV to the Alderado camp and did like 10 quests in between, then I found it right where I left it when I returned.

Yeah, I killed someone near my apartment and stashed his body and a dead end of a hallway next to a trash bin. 8 hours later I went there and his body was still laying there. That is impressive.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
just perk points not attributes, and I got it from our friend the ripperdoc
Probably not worth it for me, then. Even if I do have 220,000 eurodollars. I'm happy with my build mostly, but I would have put a few more points into certain attributes if I had to do it again. My perks are pretty much exactly what I wanted. But I'm also level 34. Still have some more to invest.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game breaking bug. On PC
doing the Automatic Love.
at Afterlife and talked to Woodman. Decided to kill him then reload my save where he's alive again.
this time there's no indicator to leave Cloud
Can't get weapons in the locker
Can't leave the place either
Only got it fix by reloading my save before I entered the building.

I'm on this mission right now and woodman is a beast, save reloads and I have to do that entire slow walk with Judy again? Really lol.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've had the complete opposite experience several times now where I turn around and the car is just gone lol.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The other day I was doing a side job and wondered why I couldn't complete the mission. I thought it was a glitch but it turns out the guy I had to kill wasn't dead yet, he was just pinned under my car and couldn't get up. 😂

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
There's something off with the difficulty.

At the beginning of the game, every goon is a meat sack taking 20 bullets to go down. Now, i one or two shot about anything. Even when i switch to non upgraded guns. The only things that offer any resistance are the psycho bosses in the small mechas.

Kinda weird. But not gonna lie, i highly prefer this time to kill compared to the beginning of the game. And the player is still quite fragile so it evens out.
Witcher 2 and 3 also have this problem. The difficulty curve is a straight line.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Can you fall out with gangs in any meaningful way?
I have just done the mission at clouds. It is possible to do everything non-violently, but massacring everyone is equally viable. I have gone for the latter because I found that the woodsman has a cool gun drop.

Will there be any negative consequences for taking the high violence route?

Johnny said the tyger claws wouldn't forget about what I have done. Is that just bullshit?

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tried replaying it with a different build and it just felt like a slog going through everything again. Not like replaying other RPGs. Gonna shelf it for a while until there's serious updates, I guess.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you call or with gangs in any meaningful way?
I have just done the mission at clouds. It is possible to do everything non-violently, but massacring everyone is equally viable. I have gone for the latter because I found that the woodsman has a cool gun drop.

Johnny said the tyger claws wouldn't forget about what I have done. Is that just bullshit?

I'm not sure but the tyger claws seem like just general baddies in this game just like the raffens and animals so I highly doubt you can allign with them in any way.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a secret skill tree or one that unlocks later? Between Intelligence and Cool is another branch like there was supposed to be a sixth stat to upgrade

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
??? What did you do?
What happened? Did you not visit the mural and see that he was talking about a turtle because his cop friends wouldn't speak with him about heavy stuff?
I did that and still failed the quest. There must have been some other dialogue option that triggered it, but I don't know which.

Brokenrobot

Jul 12, 2018
Finished it. Game reminded me of one of those crappy gta knock offs from the ps2 era but with worse a.i and more bugs. What a waste of money.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Can you fall out with gangs in any meaningful way?

It's BS.

There's little to no interactivity as far as gang dynamics go. Wakako is a Tyger Claws member/higher up but she's key in pushing the story forward.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if loot shows up? After I hit them they fall to the ground but the loot shows immediately, so I was under the impression they were actually dead.

The game does a bad job of communicating this. If they're down but still alive you can see them moving around a little bit, like their legs and feet. But sometimes they do look dead and there's no way to tell for sure. If I want to be sure then I save then shoot them. If there are damage numbers then I know they were alive and I reload my save. I only go to this much trouble if it's a no-kill mission.

mueske

Apr 11, 2019
There were around 8 - 10 writers working on the game, at least 4 from them were women.. and many women in the company worked on the main and side quests too.. yeah, it wasn't just "straight bros" working on this game.. hell, that isn't true about CDPR games since atleast Witcher 2
Could've fooled me. I'm just generally unimpressed by the writing. I don't get where the praise is coming from. Gameplay is fun though.

Still, gay representation feels like a huge afterthought. And the stuff that is there can easily be said to be stereotypical, bordering on offensive. All while throwing female nudity and heterosexual scenes in our face.