Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I'm still having a hard time figuring out if my lower performance (drops into the 40-60 FPS range) has more to do with my CPU (i7 5820k @ 4.4 ghz), memory bandwidth (2400 mhz), or both. The drops mostly only occur when I'm driving or moving quickly in the city, and then the framerate goes back up when I stop or move slowly. I've been trying to squeeze some more performance out of my RAM, but that's been a trying experience so far. :/

Its common. I have it too and watched some Benchmarks videos and they have it too. Mostly in the apartment area when moving the camera in a car.

I have an 8700K, 16GB 3200Mhz DDR4 and an 2070.

Morrowless

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if i ever have to shoot anything, i use the sniper rifle
The first time I used my sniper rifle in the nomad area I couldn't see the enemies shooting at me, and I wasn't even that far away. I had to move closer for them to show. This is with high/ultra settings so pretty sure it's a bug. Terrible experience.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I'm not too far in but the voiced protagonist is already starting to fall on its face design wise for me. Just another game that proves to me that using a VA for the player character in an open world RPG with player choices significantly reduces the actually choices the player gets to make, as well as just taking you out of the experience because it never really feels like you are the character. Your just playing as V and you get to make the choices that V would potentially make. And maybe I just missed the memo and that's how CDPR always advertised it as but in a game where you decide your stats, abilities, clothing, weapons, and everything in between it really lacks narrative choices so far. Besides the glitches that's probably my only big issue with the game so far.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Its common. I have it too and watched some Benchmarks videos and they have it too. Mostly in the apartment area when moving the camera in a car.

I have an 8700K, 16GB 3200Mhz DDR4 and an 2070.

Ouch, hopefully it's just something they can work on optimizing then. In that case I'm leaning more towards it being a CPU bottleneck and will avoid further abusing my system trying to get my RAM to run faster than 2666 MHz. :p

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
The first time I used my sniper rifle in the nomad area I couldn't see the enemies shooting at me, and I wasn't even that far away. I had to move closer for them to show. This is with high/ultra settings so pretty sure it's a bug. Terrible experience.

From my experience they often glitch into the floor or into walls but can still shoot you while being invisible.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Probably because I've been doing a lot of side missions(so getting strong gear) and actually sticking to my chosen attribute trees so I'm constantly leveling up individual weapons(ie, blade/assault) but the enemies just aren't spongy. 3 or so headshots and everyone is dead most of the time and if nothing else keep a shotgun and enemies will go flying to the ground and you can quickly take them out. Actually feels pretty dynamic and fun. But yeah it really isn't a master of all weapons and abilities type of game at all. Plus once you get the cyberware upgrades you can double jump around with some pretty game changing combat abilities that keep things really fun.

Playing on hard not very tho.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus this game controls terribly. The shooting feels horrible and as a bonus, they took the bullet sponge design from the Division everyone loves and rolled it in here.

Shooting improves a lot if you level up and find other weapons. I love it now at level 16.

Probably because I've been doing a lot of side missions(so getting strong gear) and actually sticking to my chosen attribute trees so I'm constantly leveling up individual weapons(ie, blade/assault) but the enemies just aren't spongy. 3 or so headshots and everyone is dead most of the time and if nothing else keep a shotgun and enemies will go flying to the ground and you can quickly take them out. Actually feels pretty dynamic and fun. But yeah it really isn't a master of all weapons and abilities type of game at all. Plus once you get the cyberware upgrades you can double jump around with some pretty game changing combat abilities that keep things really fun.

Easy is tank mode, normal is okayish at the begining of the game, but is a joke with little leveling up and hard is a joke too after getting some equipment :( No balance here at all

Munroe

May 17, 2019
Patch must have not applied properly or something because I'm not getting any more crashes now. Weird, because I validated it before the reinstall and it said it was fine.

Did you mean to say you're getting more crashes now? Unless you actually want to crash with the new patch? 😅

Played a bit more with the new patch on SX and seems to run really well. I keep switching between Quality and Performance. Think I'll stick with performance, the quality doesn't seem to drop much at all and the 60fps target is nice

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
First crash with new patch on PS5, 3rd crash in total within 4ish hours of gameplay.

I keep coming back but something keeps happening that pushes me away. Kinda wishing I would've just taken the gamble with PC with my 5700 XT rather than getting it on PS5.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
curious if you ever requested a refund from them on a pre-order? I put in my request nearly a week ago before it was even released and nothing yet.

If the code hasn't been redeemed you can absolutely request a refund

"We do our best to provide a refund where possible, but please note that games that have been played or keys that have been redeemed are ineligible for a refund. Refund requests have to be submitted within 7 days of the delivery of the key by the Vendor to the Purchaser or Customer."

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Ouch, hopefully it's just something they can work on optimizing then. In that case I'm leaning more towards it being a CPU bottleneck and will avoid further abusing my system trying to get my RAM to run faster than 2666 MHz. :p

Partly CPU due to bad optimization I guess. But it looks more like there is some kind of limitation in the engine/render pipeline. I have never seen a game having so much problem with loading assets when turning the camera. Even with the slightest zoom ( when going ADS) you have a short drop in performance before it goes back up again. You can see this when using RTSS and monitor the frametime graph.

The Video as an example:

@6:29 you can see it extremely well. Watch the frametime graph. You can see how the frametimes go up quite a bit when moving the camera quickly.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
If the next gen is a spit polish with RT at 30 I'm going to be so disappointed.

I need as many sliders turned up as reasonably as possible to justify a 4kish/30. If that means no RT, I really hope they give us that option. I don't want a binary 30 and 60 mode.

It's probably going to be 1440p/RT/30 I really don't see it getting much better than what we have now.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Ya know the more I play this and I know it might not make sense but it feels like a very.....liner on rails game ? Hard to explain.

I'm going through the main quest too and let me tell you what I realized.

The city's open world mechanics are definitely weak, but if you consider the entire world as a stunning, huge backdrop for a story-focused, linear experience, it sort of shifts your perception in a massive way. Honestly, the main story quests are making the investment worth it alone and I'm sad that they won't get the focus they deserve with everything else going on. And make no mistake, that is one part of the game that is definitely polished and well done.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Jesus this game controls terribly. The shooting feels horrible and as a bonus, they took the bullet sponge design from the Division everyone loves and rolled it in here.
Yeah, I lose most firefights and I just don't feel like it's because of me -- I don't suck at other shooters. It's just too clunky, mechanically weird... and what's up with that heating out of control mechanic? I feel the game doesn't really do a good job at informing me of these underlying systems.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did you mean to say you're getting more crashes now? Unless you actually want to crash with the new patch? 😅

Played a bit more with the new patch on SX and seems to run really well. I keep switching between Quality and Performance. Think I'll stick with performance, the quality doesn't seem to drop much at all and the 60fps target is nice
I patched it and started getting tons of crashes. Then I reinstalled and stopped. I think the patch didn't apply properly the first time.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Yeah, I lose most firefights and I just don't feel like it's because of me -- I don't suck at other shooters. It's just too clunky, mechanically weird... and what's up with that heating out of control mechanic? I feel the game doesn't really do a good job at informing me of these underlying systems.

I mean the point of the skilling system is to improve recoil and accuracy. I found that tap firing or doing bursts works really well at the beginning of the game until you get better controll stats. But I fues on PC with a mouse its much more enjoyable than on a controller. especially with a not so great framerate.
If you are on console you might want to go to controller settings and enable advanced settings and change them. there are some optimal setting out there. just need to google them.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017

The city's open world mechanics are definitely weak, but if you consider the entire world as a stunning, huge backdrop for a story-focused, linear experience, it sort of shifts your perception in a massive way. Honestly, the main story quests are making the investment worth it alone and I'm sad that they won't get the focus they deserve with everything else going on. And make no mistake, that is one part of the game that is definitely polished and well done.

Yeah... im treating this game as basically a really well crafted single player campaign game like something like Dishonoured.

The fact theres a load of side stuff and its open world is cool but im honestly not sure what the RPG elements bring to the table other than being a pain.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

I have a revolver that does like 7k headshots, but only when I am not detected. Nothing is a sponge until I get spotted.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
I mean the point of the skilling system is to improve recoil and accuracy. I found that tap firing or doing bursts works really well at the beginning of the game until you get better controll stats. But I fues on PC with a mouse its much more enjoyable than on a controller. especially with a not so great framerate.
If you are on console you might want to go to controller settings and enable advanced settings and change them. there are some optimal setting out there. just need to google them.
Yeah, I'm actually using those suggested settings and it does feel better, but still too clunky for my tastes. I guess I wouldn't tie accuracy and recoil to the skill systems.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018

This is like The Witcher all over again when people were expecting Skyrim but got a focused story driven RPG. The main quest and the side quests are really good in Cyberpunk, like Witcher good. People want a first person GTA style sandbox or a Fallout in a big city and it isn't either of those things. My only complaints (these are big complaints) are with the juvenile ads, commercials and dildos along with racial representation. It feels like someone at the studio really likes Duke Nukem Forever. The world just feels incongruous with the story itself in the worst possible way sometimes.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too far in but the voiced protagonist is already starting to fall on its face design wise for me. Just another game that proves to me that using a VA for the player character in an open world RPG with player choices significantly reduces the actually choices the player gets to make, as well as just taking you out of the experience because it never really feels like you are the character. Your just playing as V and you get to make the choices that V would potentially make. And maybe I just missed the memo and that's how CDPR always advertised it as but in a game where you decide your stats, abilities, clothing, weapons, and everything in between it really lacks narrative choices so far. Besides the glitches that's probably my only big issue with the game so far.

I am the opposite. I hate when the player character doesn't have VA. Very glad Cyberpunk went this route.

electristan

Oct 25, 2017
Norway

Came to the same realisation.

This seems to be more a Witcher 2, than a Witcher 3 in terms or structure and content.

Now that I know this I enjoying the story missions and doing the busy work only when I need cash or a buff. A lot or great story and character momens in my 25 hours that have played so far.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Can't tell what's up with this game. Tons of negativity on reddit, but then I pop into the Girlfriend Reviews stream, and the boyfriend is saying it's his favorite game of the decade and all the negativity is misplaced (If played on a high-end PC).

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Nah. Voiced protag is vital. Games without a voiced protag is immersion breaking

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020

I wouldn't use the word "polished" to describe the main story quests. That's where I've encountered the worst bugs.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't tell what's up with this game. Tons of negativity on reddit, but then I pop into the Girlfriend Reviews stream, and the boyfriend is saying it's his favorite game of the decade and all the negativity is misplaced (If played on a high-end PC).
I think a lot of it depends mostly 1) If you're playing on PC or Console, and 2) If you were expecting like, the next GTA or not.

Cosmic

Jan 7, 2018
Can anyone shed any light on this. In his latest video NX Gamer states that the resolution in performance mode is slightly higher than PS5 with the X running at 2304x1296. It always seemed like it was higher than 1080p, but this seems to be at odds with what DF are saying as they stated it runs at 1080p on the Series X if I am not mistaken? Does anyone actually know what resolution the Series X is running at in performance mode?

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
So all the marketing about how they wanted to make the game shorter but more replayable.. what happened to that? Seems shallower and shorter to me than W3 so far

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason to pay Viktor now rather than later? I was thinking using the funds to buy that motorcycle first

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I think a lot of it depends mostly 1) If you're playing on PC or Console, and 2) If you were expecting like, the next GTA or not.

Right, a lot of the negativity I'm seeing is about AI in the open-world. It doesn't seem to be that type of open-world sandbox at all, the world is mostly just there to look nice while you go from mission to mission. Which seems fine to me, the game can't be everything at once.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, a lot of the negativity I'm seeing is about AI in the open-world. It doesn't seem to be that type of open-world sandbox at all, the world is mostly just there to look nice while you go from mission to mission. Which seems fine to me, the game can't be everything at once.
Yeah, as someone who generally doesn't fuck around in open worlds, its not been an issue, but I can see why it would be a bummer for a good number of people.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Well, i'm going to stick with 4k, ultra and psycho RTX but at 30fps. The only game where i need that sharpness that 4k gives you, probably because there's a ton of things everywhere.

photomode-13122020-022534.png

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on PS5, and I think the only thing that frustrates me about it so far is the crowd density. There's like, nobody around. I'm not far in at all, but it's still just... odd.

nilbog

Movie Aficionado
Oct 25, 2017

With a massive game like this sometimes all you hear are the negative opinions, but with over 765k+ playing this on Steam at this very moment, I am pretty sure the boyfriend is not alone on his opinion either.

CjG26Ay.jpg

Oct 27, 2017

Makes sense. The only thing this game does that hasn't been done before and better is the best graphics and art probably ever in a video game. If you're not taking advantage of that it feels like Deus Ex with bad driving and bad open world AI combined with outdated GTA mission structure and Saints Row levels of immaturity.