• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
"Cyberpunk 2077 will be released on 17 September 2020 for the PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. By the end of the year the game will also make its debut on Google Stadia. Further information can be found on the game's official website and on its Facebook and Twitter profiles."

This is from CD Projekt's own PR post about the marketing for Cyberpunk.

I'd say this is pretty relevant, as this was one of Stadia's biggest (AAA) games releasing this year, outside of Marvel's Avengers. I saw a lot on the Stadia subreddit arguing this would be Stadia's big "gotcha" moment, where it would really pull off and interest more mainstream gamers. Some posted ideas of hoping to see a trailer on YouTube with a "Play Now on Stadia" link (which I doubt since Xbox seems to have marketing rights).

Anyways, not the best news for Stadia. (Nor has there really been any, other than Pro members getting free games.)

Stadia needs it's own AAA games or else it's going to just get squashed by the PS5/Xbox Series X launch.

#BlackLivesMatter

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man Phil Harrison is like kryptonite for any company that hires him: Part of the PS3 launch, Ran Atari before they self destructed, Part of the Xbox One Launch, now VP of Stadia?

Oct 25, 2017
By the time it releases on Stadia, you could play it on Xbox or Ps5 which wipes the floor with Stadia in terms of specs.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder when the PS5/Series X version will be ready. Makes me sad that it likely won't be in 2020. Probably by March 2021 I'd guess.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was gonna play this on Stadia so that kinda sucks.

Guess I'll pick it up elsewhere or hold out for the next-gen version. Google gotta start pouring money into these day one port jobs tho.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the comparison with XSX/PS5 versions.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
CP2077 with cloud gaming is a nice idea in theory because of the graphics, but playing an FPS with significant latency, even using a controller, sounds like absolute agony.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the comparison with XSX/PS5 versions.

Of the actual XSX/PS5 versions or just the BC versions? The actual next gen versions apparently won't be hitting for a while so we might just see some options in the XBO and PS4 versions that allow the next gen consoles to push that version a bit further.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
You mean there might not be a huge market for people that want AAA games in 4K, but don't want to own consoles, but have fiber internet ?

Hell i would say the market for 4k movie streaming is small and the tvs get cheaper by the day

OP
OP
criteriondog

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the market is big for people who want the latest AAA games in 4K but have great internet and do not want to buy a $200-300 console.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia should just accept that isn't going to get the same support as the PS5/XSX, and understand that it can't compete in that way.

The technology is great, lean into it. Deciding if you're going to buy Cyberpunk 2077 at full price months later you undermine the 'play instantly' concept.

Stadia should be this: 'Hey, want to play Avengers? We paid Square Enix to get it for you'. Xbox Game Pass manages that paying full AAA development costs. Then you don't need support or release parity.

Then host Uplay, EA Access, an Activision subscription, as additional packages.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of the actual XSX/PS5 versions or just the BC versions? The actual next gen versions apparently won't be hitting for a while so we might just see some options in the XBO and PS4 versions that allow the next gen consoles to push that version a bit further.
Sorry, I mean the smart delivery versions, which should be theoretically optimised for next gen.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
This could mean that Cyberpunk will be available to play via XCloud on the same day (or possibly even earlier) it is available on Stadia.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think the Stadia version was ever announced as being day-and-date with the console versions. People just speculated that, with the delay, they might have lined all the versions up.

Clearly not.

As someone who uses and likes Stadia (yes, we exist!) I'm disappointed for the people that are desperate to play it, but its not a huge deal for me, as I'm not short on stuff to play.
I can wait 2 or 3 months.
I also doubt it would win many converts. I mean, if you already have a PS4 and that's your usual go-to gaming thing, the only reason to look at other versions of the game would be if reviews say the PS4 version is somehow god-awful and shouldn't be touched with a barge-pole. Other than that happening (I'm sure it won't), the console you already own will be 'good enough'.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
This isn't really surprising. When the game was announced for Stadia, they initially confirmed that, it would not be day and date with all platforms, but this was however before the game got delayed till September.

With the delay to September people assumed it would just be day and date now, which I thought was a weird assumption to make, and I guess I was right.

I guess if anyone wants to play it via streaming there's always Geforce Now, but Stadia just continues to be a shitshow and Google continues to show they were not the right company to carry the streaming torch.

Oct 25, 2017
This was definitely a game I could see going well for them. One many are looking to upgrade or build a PC for when the current gen consoles feel a bit long in the tooth, why not just buy it on Stadia and stream beefed up PC.

But yeah of it's not launching straight away with reviews and mind share a lot of that seems less likely.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it coming to GeForce Now Day 1 anyway? At least then people with low-spec machines could play it at decent settings while being able to use the same copy of the game on a more powerful PC.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
This was definitely a game I could see going well for them. One many are looking to upgrade or build a PC for when the current gen consoles feel a bit long in the tooth, why not just buy it on Stadia and stream beefed up PC.

But yeah of it's not launching straight away with reviews and mind share a lot of that seems less likely.
I was actually very interested in playing this game via streaming largely because of the fact that I don't think Cyberpunk is going to go over well on the current gen machines, and I have no real intentions to buy a next gen console anytime soon.

I guess I still could do that with Geforce now, and tbh, I also wouldn't really mind waiting on Stadia either, but yeah, this game is kind of a perfect example of how, I was hoping I could use game streaming as an alternative to owning a next gen console for the next year or 2.

We're a family of 5 and we all decided to chip in a bit on having really good internet so we have a 500 download/20 up internet connection in the house, largely because so much of our entertainment is kinda dependent on having internet now. Unfortunately I can't have everyone chip in, on a next gen console, and I just don't have the 500 dollars to spend on a new console this year so I was kinda hoping Stadia would take off in some way so I could use it as an alternative in the meantime.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
Couldn't they use windows?

2 large problems with that
1) Google would then be paying Microsoft licensing fees for each use of hardware that they use. Keep in mind that between Xbox, PC, and xCloud, Microsoft would be Stadia's biggest competitor.
2) Google is building a fully integrated ecosystem, from the backend cloud infrastructure to the front end stuff that the customers are looking at. Sticking an OS in the middle that they don't have full control of (and may not even be optimized for their server use) goes against that purpose.

And the reason there aren't more games on Stadia is, that most games still don't support Vulkan or not?

The reason there aren't more games on Stadia is because the devs are not incentivized to put the game on their platform. Learning an OS would not be that big of a barrier - especially for AAA devs/pubs - if they knew the customers would show up.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Would exclusive games help Stadia? Why wouldn't you just buy the game on Stadia, then never use the service again after playing that game?