Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This whole argument reminds me of 'Cunt-Gate' on Veep.

CjzKQ3AUoAAfv4E.jpg

It is an ugly fucking word however.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who to ask, so I'm asking out in the open. Hopefully that's not against the rules:

Can the mods just make a separate thread for the "language" discussion? If people wanna have that debate, cool. I can't stop them. But at least take it somewhere else so the rest of us can talk about the actual game. Thank you.

Again, if me asking openly like this is against the rules, my apologies.
This.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I want this game so bad.. I made a mistake to watch this whole thing.. the wait is gonna be unbearable

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Era is descending into the worst type of ultra-politically correct, don't dare offend anyone, ever culture. This isn't meaningful discourse and it's getting completely out of control.

If people are unable to grasp the specific context of language and themes in a futureal dystopic video game and feel the need to overanalyse and disproportionately relate everything back to modern society and gender-identity issues (which are of course very real and scary), every one is going to have a bad time.

It's a fucking video game, and a brilliant looking one at that. Move on.
This is almost surely a direct result of the trans joke on Twitter. I think if this had been released without that tweet, people would have been more inclined to ignore it.

You can write an offensive character without being an objectionable person, obviously, but because they cast a questionable light on the morality of the studio, these things are naturally going to garner greater scrutiny.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
this sold me on the perspective decision within the first few minutes. there's a certain claustrophobic feeling about those interiors that you can't get in 3rd person.

in terms of writing, this wasn't quite the tone I was expecting from the Witcher 3 team's next game but it won me over by the end.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I know people are tired about the language discussion, and by all means I don't think it's a huge issue in the grand scheme of things, but I don't really get why conversation about the dialogue in a story heavy game is a separate issue when most of the thread will actually be people arguing pedantry over the lighting, or the tech specs, or the way the gunplay feels. Why is it that this pedantry is fine, while discussion about the actual dialogue in the game needs to be segmented off?

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I get the feeling the press saw something different to this. It's the only explanation I can come up with. Maybe that's why the video took so long to be shown publicly? They were re-recording the demo with console visuals and the press saw something closer to high end PC?

It at least gives us a more realistic idea of how it will look. Instead of having another Witcher 3/watchdogs situation.

This is the same demo they saw at E3, beat for beat. Everyone kept talking about the eye surgery and the medics with guns showing up at the beginning. Edit: I misread what you said, I think I remember Vinny at Giantbomb during E3 saying, this looks good, but it's not something miraculous and super next gen.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You all could have used these posts to talk about the game you know. It's not like anyone is stopping you.
At this point it's clear that the argument over the language has overshadowed the discussion of the Gameplay demo. So i think (and other) it would be best to split the subjects. That way the can both be focused on separately.

I'm not trying to be an arsehole. Just agreeing with what i feel would be beneficial for this thread on a whole.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So do people want the game to be just post struggle where sexism is over? Or do they just want to have the sexist language gone. However, if it's the latter I wonder how much you can really portray a sexist society if everyone is nice and watches their potty mouth.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If the insult "cunt" was put into the game to get a reaction out of some players it seems to have worked as intended.

It helps to convey that these gangsters are scum. Maybe amercian women want to kill the gangster even more after hearing that insult.

In contrast to most of the real world scenarios here you can blow their fucking head off for uttering the slur.

Miasma

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What a weird thing to say. That's like saying another country uses bitch or fuck in a non cursing way so everyone who does acknowledge it as a curse in their culture should grow up and not be offended. Cultures are different just because something is not offensive to you doesn't mean that other people should just get over it.

And that doesn't even change the fact that cunt can be used in a negative way in your country.

I have a solution all other territories keep the word "Cunt" and the North American version of the game they change it to something else. There we go problem solved.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can still say something along the lines of "son of a bitch", "fucker" or something else that doesn't have that connotation, really. It has the same effect and removes that connotation.

What connotation? I asked other posters to somehow try and explain to me why calling two characters, one who is male and one who is female, cunts, is an example of some sort of targetted gender discrimination.

I also suggested, as I'm sure it will be the case, that if the MC was male "cunts" would still be said to the two attackers.

Also, if people in the topic are going to argue to remove context, then wouldn't bitch also be off-limits?

If you just don't like the word and don't want it in the game, full stop, then be honest about that without having to make up scenarios or try to say this is a clear case of gender discrimination when it's not. It's the dishonesty I dislike.

I can respect not liking the word and be trying to make your case it should never be in a game, but be honest.

Because gamers™ cannot handle discussions about social issues.

What social issues are arriving from a scene where two attackers are trying to kill a mob boss?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
45 pages in a few hours?

guess this game will be beyond huge

edit:

oh, or is it about the c-word?
I'm from the US, so I never hear it used.

But when I'm in FootyEra It's probably the most used word after "the" to be honest lol.
so it's a thing in different places.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I know people are tired about the language discussion, and by all means I don't think it's a huge issue in the grand scheme of things, but I don't really get why conversation about the dialogue in a story heavy game is a separate issue when most of the thread will actually be people arguing pedantry over the lighting, or the tech specs, or the way the gunplay feels. Why is it that this pedantry is fine, while discussion about the actual dialogue in the game needs to be segmented off?
Well, I think the fact that I had to specify I was talking about the game when asking someone what their argument was should answer that question. People were arguing over the actual meaning of the word "pussy". Doesn't really have anything to do with the game at that point, imo.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay back to the topic, I think if we got conformation that we could purchase that spider without having to go through the fight I think we will probably be at an acceptable level in terms of gameplay choices.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Blown away. Deus Ex (original) is in my top 5, hell, it's maybe my favourite single player game of all time, and this looks like the spiritual successor cranked up to 11.

There is an apparent insane level of talent working on this game. I'm tempted to now declare Poland's CDPR as the number 1 developer in the world based on just that footage. And this is from someone who hasn't really played the witcher series.

The potential story branching and gameplay creativity is what impressed me the most. But it's the fact that it's gameplay that exists in such a stunningly designed world is what sets it apart.

The world building, the atmosphere, the style, the characters, the artistry of everything, the UI, the adverts, the fashion, the buildings, everything looks immaculate. It has all this creativity, and variety, yet it comes together in a cohesive, consistent way. Always looked cool and never tacky.

People are nitpicking it to death looking at some comments, but for me that's like not seeing the forest for the trees. Sure, the gunplay isn't as good looking as say Last of Us 2, but then LOU2 isn't dealing with crazy weapon variety, weapon mods, character stats, character mods, all affecting how you shoot in an RPG style game. I thought it was very, very solid shooting for an RPG at heart and much, much better than GTA style third person auto lock BS.

Well done CDPR *polish flag emoji*

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
this sold me on the perspective decision within the first few minutes. there's a certain claustrophobic feeling about those interiors that you can't get in 3rd person.

in terms of writing, this wasn't quite the tone I was expecting from the Witcher 3 team's next game but it won me over by the end.
Wasn't really digging the VO actress for V. Also, the writing wasn't really what I expected. It's not egregiously bad, but I expected more after the Witcher 3.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this thread has gone to shit. Not because a handful of women on this site are criticising the copious usage of gendered insults, but because of so many posters who seem incapable of carefully reading what exactly they're saying without building a strawman and attacking it. No one in this thread believes this game should be a squeaky clean sanitised affair where underworld mobs politely call you mates while in the middle of a life or death gunfight. It's not a criticism of bad language boo hoo, someone think of the kids. It's a criticism of why these gendered insults are necessary considering this is a future setting with plentiful opportunities for the writing team to get creative with vaguely future lingo and vernaculars. A little bit of empathy wouldn't hurt when you're reading posts from Laiza and rras1994 to at least understand where exactly they're coming from and the foundation for why they're frustrated and sick of tired of what it is they're criticising without snidely deriding them as being outraged for the sake of it.

As for the demo itself, ehh, it's fine. I'm still undecided as to whether I'll bother with this game, as CDPR have given me cause to side-eye them of late, and I'm not particularly impressed by the range of breadth of the actual roleplaying they've demonstrated in this video. That could certainly change, I'm aware. Other than that, I am very impressed by how the city looks, especially the sheer density of civilians all at once. And they say they're aiming for this to be a seamless open world with zero loading screens? That's impressively ambitious.

Oct 26, 2017
HAH. You're SO good at listening to women. You definitely proved that.
Yea most people are gonna ignore people who just want to argue than discuss. Nothing to do with gender. This childish behaviour "I've won HAHAHA", yea thats gonna cause you to end up on ignore lists.
Yeah except it's a fucking VIDEO GAME. I do not want nor expect a 1:1 representation of reality in my video games, especially when I literally just want to relax and have fun and maybe, y'know, escape from every day problems in a VIDEO GAME.

Apparently I am not allowed to have this escape because realism or some shit. Ok. Whatever, man.
Dont buy the game then. Not all games are made for you. I dont play CoD, counterstrike, etc cause i find such glorification of fake-realistic gun violence in a real world setting gross. It doesn't make me relax, cause it just makes me think of all the awful stuff happening in the world right now.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The demo seems pretty impressive, graphically isn't nothing out of this world but the amount of stuff on screen and the attention to detail is mind blowing. Seeing that city for the first time was incredible, you can almost feel all the possibilities. What really surprised me was the gameplay, I was expecting a lot of jank and stiff movement but got the opposite. Not id Soft levels of good but definitely a step up from Deus Ex. The writing and the structure of the quest is a trademark from Red Projekt, enganging and clever. I just hope we have a lot of customization options, I want to make multiple runs and try different builds and witness different outcomes. Overall, I'm very impressed.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know people are tired about the language discussion, and by all means I don't think it's a huge issue in the grand scheme of things, but I don't really get why conversation about the dialogue in a story heavy game is a separate issue when most of the thread will actually be people arguing pedantry over lighting vs some other video game. Why is it that this pedantry is fine, while discussion about the actual dialogue in the game needs to be segmented off?
Because people don't want to listen about controversial topics such as the offensive language used in their favorite hobby.

Huh kinda reminds me of something that happened not long ago in a sport :thinking:

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Because gamers™ cannot handle discussions about social issues.
It's because it's a bigger issue and requires its own separate field to discuss. The demo thread is to encompass all aspects of the demo and the peoples' reactions to it. Segmenting bigger issues allows for more thorough more open and more focused discussions about them rather than filling up a thread where the discussion is all over the place with various aspects of the game.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
the only thing that feel unrealistic is how big the appartments are in the future

i was thinking hong kong style shoes boxes, even for the 'middle-class'

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Okay back to the topic, I think if we got conformation that we could purchase that spider without having to go through the fight I think we will probably be at an acceptable level in terms of gameplay choices.
The more interesting thing about that detail is that the card that contained the credits and the virus, you can keep it. What does that mean? Can you use it to try and buy a new eye and hand? What happens when that store keeper tries to process the transaction? Same with arms dealers?

I imagine it's lame and the card just disarms after the mission if you don't use it, but imagine if it didn't and they have to account for you using it in every other potential transaction in the entire game?

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Looks great - obvious the devs took a lot of inspiration from the newer Deux Ex titles. I hope they clean up the HUD elements a bit more for release, and that the "real" missions in the game end up being more open-ended, but otherwise the game's living up to expectations.

Tex Murphy

Nov 2, 2017
HAH. You're SO good at listening to women. You definitely proved that.

Yeah except it's a fucking VIDEO GAME. I do not want nor expect a 1:1 representation of reality in my video games, especially when I literally just want to relax and have fun and maybe, y'know, escape from every day problems in a VIDEO GAME.

Apparently I am not allowed to have this escape because realism or some shit. Ok. Whatever, man.

This is a terrible argument. Video games are not just about relaxing at the end of the day. Bejeweled is great for that, but sometimes people want a more visceral experience. Some may want thrills, emotion, and yes, even outrage. These are the things that move us. I don't think you can make the argument that video games are all about escaping your problems in the real world. Maybe for you, and if that's the case, you should probably think about giving this game a miss.

Vince_Jo1990

Jan 12, 2018
Seen tons of people not really liking this...I have a hard time understanding why.

I am probably biased, Cyberpunk is my most favorite theme and CD Projekt one of my favorite devs and I've been waiting for a trailer like this since the first teaser where it says "it will come when it's ready" and they were just starting to develop Witcher 3.

Well this is my dream game after all, is the footage perfect? Nope, of course it's a little rough on the edge, but I believe the alpha stage of this, the game isn't coming out for at least another years, even two.

What I like about it? Real RPG elements in a cyberpunk setting. What do I mean? RPG is a broad term, but what I mean by RPG is the roughest definition you find, basically the Role Play experience. This starts by the city, the apartment, the attention to details, to the NPCs walking on the street, etc. it really does feel you are breathing this world, from the music, to the lighting and the conversation you hear. Propos for the subtitles on NCPs head, really brings me back to old school games, always loved that.

Now it's a always a good thing to not let your expectation be surreal, it is an videogames after all, nothing more. I guess if you don't like FP view it's already a bummer for you, but for someone tired of the closed 3rd person camera, this is a breath of fresh air.

Thank you CD Projekt for this gameplay demo, we all waited for it for a long time and no, it doesn't disappoint. Be a fan of your work and don't let others distract you, do what you think is best for Cyberpunk and take your time.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If anything, the fact that people are so bothered by the discussion happening in the first place is why such discussions need to be happening.
giphy.gif

What social issues are arriving from a scene where two attackers are trying to kill a mob boss?
"Ok I have a problem with the dialogue in this game, specifically how try hard it is with it's insults, which also are gendered and derogatory against women in a way that normalizes that kind of thing while also not actually saying anything about the subject. Cool demo though"

Gamers™:Cursing is ok why don't you like cursing this isn't sesame street this is super mature to be dark and gritty fiction must use this type of language always, stop being offended™ and outraged™

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can still say something along the lines of "son of a bitch", "fucker" or something else that doesn't have that connotation, really. It has the same effect and removes that connotation.
If we're discussing the gendered connotations of cunt, you can't just then casually imply bitch would be in any way a better alternative.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It's because it's a bigger issue and requires its own separate field to discuss. The demo thread is to encompass all aspects of the demo and the peoples' reactions to it. Segmenting bigger issues allows for more thorough more open and more focused discussions about them rather than filling up a thread where the discussion is all over the place with various aspects of the game.

I think it went a little off the rails when we were diving into the definition of the word, but there's a lot of posts in here that downright reek of trying to avoid discussing sensitive or political aspects of games. I don't even fully disagree with the people saying that it makes sense that bad criminal underworld dude would use slurs, but I also think there's a severe lack of empathy and a high level of dismissal that i'm not fully comfortable with. It also just doesn't really make sense when this whole thread is going to be 100 pages of people arguing about whether or not red dead or cyberpunk has better pre-baked lighting in a compressed youtube video, so I'm really not sure why one discussion is so annoying while the other one can carry right on.

Namikaze1

Oct 25, 2017
The side character dude is an walking stereotype.
Yeah, I did not like Jackie because of the stereotypical Hollywood spanglish. I'm Hispanic and don't know any Hispanics/Mexicans that speak like that. And then there's the "accent". It doesn't sound like it's a Hispanic VA to me.

Aside from that and a couple minor things, I found the demo to be okay. Nothing mind blowing or anything.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you one of those people who think everything is just "too PC" these days?

You have really misinformed views on sexism.

Everyone should just ignore everything they don't like, then the world would be an awesome place. Ignoring things is the best way to make social progress.

No, that isn't how things work. I mean, don't play the game, sure, but if they want to put a product out there especially after other questionable things like the Twitter debacle and non-apology they can take the heat for their decisions

The fact that this is even being made into a sexist argument is crazy to me. It's a MATURE game, games for years and years and years and years have used this sort of language we aren't all 12. The answer truly is and remains to be just don't play the game if you happen to be offended. Play something a little more E OR T rated then I don't know what to say.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Deadass thinking about skipping the gym to go home and watch this lmfao holy shit didn't realize it'd dropped today.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's a MATURE game, games for years and years and years and years have used this sort of language we aren't all 12.
This sure says a lot about the medium and how it handles "mature" subject matter.

Sure he has. And on point with what is happening with cyberpunk here. His movies are amazing because he portrays aggressive behavior incredibly. Same here. Some will not tolerate it, which is fine.
The quality of dialogue here doesn't even remotely touch Tarantino's work dude, pls stop lmfao.