• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
cyberShadowWebHeaderFade-2.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Switch, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X
Release Date:
January 26th, 2021​
Genre: Action-Platformer
Price: $19.99 USD (Launch/Pre Order price of $14.99 USD—depending on platform)
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer: Aarne "MekaSkull" Hunziker
Publisher: Yacht Club Games
Size: ~250MB

WVAIGPm.png

What is Cyber Shadow?
The world has been taken over by synthetic lifeforms. A desperate plea for help sets Shadow, the sole survivor of his clan, on one last mission to uncover what started the path to perpetual ruin.

How is the game structured?
The game is a linear, stage based, action platformer.

Can I replay stages?
Yes, you can also take your new abilities back to those old stages to find new secrets.

What does X icon do?
You can see a breakdown of some of the drops/skills here.

How long is the game?
Reviews put the playtime range somewhere in the range of 6 to 8 hours but you may see an hour count outside of it depending on personal playstyle.

Are there multiple difficulty modes?
No, there is only the default option.

What happens when I die?
You go reload at the last checkpoint.

Switch performance?
60 fps, same as Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles.

Is the game enhanced on PS5 and the Xbox Series consoles?
The PS5 version of the game supports 120fps when played on a compatible display. TBA if the same support exists on the next-gen Xbox machines.

Uncapped framerate on PC?
Yes, to (at the very least) 144fps.

Does it matter if I buy the PS4 or PS5 version?
Purchasing one digitally gets you the other for free.

Xbox Play Anywhere?
Yes, buying the game on Xbox One will get you the game on Windows 10 and vice versa. Progression is shared between the two versions of the game.

Game Pass?
Yes, the game is part of Game Pass on PC, Android and Xbox. If you are an active member of that service you can play Cyber Shadow for no extra cost.

Physical release?
Nothing announced at the time of release, but also not ruled out for the future.

wcDl1dN.png

ss_257f2c965e032dfb175911e88806e62bcef29609.600x338.jpg
ss_7fca607d9da151cf67d90f5b0bc4371829b1997e.600x338.jpg

ss_d0c858d39b674b8fc6682ed9279dca9dfa1b71d0.600x338.jpg
ss_64dd325bda1790788f994055ea810e4bd27e9d9d.600x338.jpg

R5kUSdE.png

Metacritic
Xbox One | PC | PS4 | PS5 | Switch
Opencritic

Game Informer 7.5/10
Even with such diversions, Cyber Shadow doesn't do much that's surprising, and can sometimes be too tough for its own good. However, those with plenty of patience and an appetite for pain will find fun in this modern throwback. Just be aware that the price of admission may be your sanity, and that's a high price to pay for this competent-but-flawed war of attrition.

God is a Geek 9.5/10
Cyber Shadow is a superb action platformer, that feels just how you remember the best NES games felt. Controlling Shadow feels perfect, the soundtrack is exquisite, and there are some phenomenal powers to unlock. If you're able to cope with the serious challenge of taking down a robot army, then Cyber Shadow is a must play title that absolutely deserves to be mentioned alongside Shovel Knight as an all time great.

Hardcore Gamer 4/5
There's no better way to sum it up than just by getting straight to the point: Cyber Shadow is a fun action-platformer and one that expertly emulates the NES classic of yore. While it also kept some rather hair-pulling moments, largely thanks to a few annoying level sections, it still manages to deliver the type of classic, action-packed gameplay that the best games in the genre were known for. Throw in an engaging story, superb graphics and a few neat secrets, and this is one throwback to a twisted cybernetic future worth basking in.

cpiALir.png

Official Site
Review Thread

c-teaser2-630x353.gif

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I have been looking forward to this game for years. I really can't wait.

If you want to preorder for Steam, you can do so via the official site. Not sure why you can't do it via Steam directly.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Important: the discount is a PRE-launch discount on Switch. It runs out at midnight of the 25th aka today aka in 42 minutes if you're in CET Europe, for example.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Nice work on the thread.

Yes, buying the game on Xbox One will get you the game on Windows 10 and vice versa. TBA if progression is shared between the two versions of the game.
Is there a source for this? As usual, the MS store is a mess with the labels.

And I'd imagine it would indeed have cross save if it is Play Anywhere.

iconoclast

Dec 15, 2017
Been playing this for a few days. It's not a pure NES style action game - it has upgrades (abilities/health/magic), some permanent progression, and it's fairly long, but I think people who like 2D ninja action games will enjoy it. Definitely recommend trying it, especially if you have Game Pass.

The achievements and in-game status talk about "Normal mode", but I haven't unlocked any other difficulties. It would have been cool to have a Hard mode with even some small modifications, like no checkpoints and higher damage taken for example. Maybe it'll get added later.

(I'll have a couple videos on my youtube channel tomorrow morning. /shameless shill)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Strange. I just checked Donut County on the PC Game Pass app to confirm and the listing says I own it (bought it on XB1 a while back). Unless there's more to it than that?
Yeh I edited my post. I got mixed up the fact that it doesn't have cross-save (which is a big part of the point of Play Anywhere in my mind). My mistake.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Stoked for this. Hoping for an earlier than midnight release but will be playing it no matter what tonight.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the connection between this and the Steel Assault game? I heard that people who backed Steel Assault on KS get a copy of this game too. Either way, they both look amazing and already pre-loaded Cyber Shadow on my Switch!

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the connection between this and the Steel Assault game? I heard that people who backed Steel Assault on KS get a copy of this game too. Either way, they both look amazing and already pre-loaded Cyber Shadow on my Switch!
Steel Assault used to be a different game entirely when it was Kickstarted, and they had created a bunch of assets for it. When the project changed direction, the Cyber Shadow dev struck a deal with the Steel Assault dev to repurpose the assets they were going to throw away. As a part of that deal, everyone who backed the original Steel Assault vision is getting a free copy of Cyber Shadow. It's not something they needed to do, and honestly considering how massively different Cyber Shadow itself became over time, it doesn't even really make sense... but I'm thankful they're sticking to it, nonetheless.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Steel Assault used to be a different game entirely when it was Kickstarted, and they had created a bunch of assets for it. When the project changed direction, the Cyber Shadow dev struck a deal with the Steel Assault dev to repurpose the assets they were going to throw away. As a part of that deal, everyone who backed the original Steel Assault vision is getting a free copy of Cyber Shadow. It's not something they needed to do, and honestly considering how massively different Cyber Shadow itself became over time, it doesn't even really make sense... but I'm thankful they're sticking to it, nonetheless.

Oh wow, thats pretty neat. They both look amazing

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Any game that puts me control of a ninja is a Day 1 purchase for me. I already have my Switch version pre-loaded.

Apr 19, 2018
Important: the discount is a PRE-launch discount on Switch. It runs out at midnight of the 25th aka today aka in 42 minutes if you're in CET Europe, for example.

Was going to wait till tomorrow to purchase the Switch version, so thanks for the heads-up! I plan to go multi-plat for this one, so every little bit of a discount helps. ;)

As I said in the review thread, I've been waiting for a new "gamer's game" for a long time -- something with a tough challenge accompanied by immaculate old-school gameplay -- and this looks like it's going to scratch that itch wonderfully. Can't wait!

Last edited:

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I've been interested in this game ever since I thought it was actually developed by Yacht Club Games.

Tried to pre-load it on Xbox but it just says "not currently available". It's already the 26th here in Australia, come on Microsoft.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Animal Crossing was midnight Eastern Time so I am hoping that is the same here.
That's because Animal Crossing is a first party game. All first party games unlock at midnight.

Third party games don't. They might. But it's never a guarantee and could vary greatly. Never assume a third party game unlocks at midnight on the eShop (they might, of course).

edit: however, it's live in Europe so it might be a midnight release for everyone.

edit2: LOL the CRT filter issue from the review thread ....the reviewer should have checked what they enabled because there are two settings...

CRT Filter on/off
CRT Bad Wires on/off

and guess what ...CRT Bad Wires ON produces the scratchy dead pixel look on the white pixels along with a CA-like red drop shadow on everything.

So maybe don't turn on a filter that says "BAD WIRES" and then complain that the CRT filter looks glitchy lol

EsnWrdwUUAAjQpS.jpg:orig

EsnWrdrUwAAeVze.jpg:orig

EsnWrdYU4AAjzhn.jpg:orig

edit3
: okay, I think I gotta backpedal.

gameplay shots show some of those glitchy black bits on some white spots too even with "just" the CRT Filter and not the Bad Wires filter on. I don't really notice it in motion, however. It's just because I was looking for it now.

(note: these are handheld mode Switch shots plus Twitter compression)
click for full size:
EsnZCk5U0AAdyR_.jpg:orig
EsnZCktVEAAZvUm.jpg:orig

EsnZClDUUAAJadW.jpg:orig
EsnZClfVEAAEBuk.jpg:orig

Last edited:

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
TheMoon thanks for posting those CRT filter screenshots. I had been wondering about that. The filter looks pretty decent, actually. You never know since it's quite common for developers to completely drop the ball with retro filters like that.

The CRT filter in the NES/SNES apps on Switch is among the worst I've ever seen. Just shameful.

I wonder why the blacks turn to gray with the filter enabled, however. That's a strange choice since CRT's had perfect blacks.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
TheMoon thanks for posting those CRT filter screenshots. I had been wondering about that. The filter looks pretty decent, actually. You never know since it's quite common for developers to completely drop the ball with retro filters like that.

The CRT filter in the NES/SNES apps on Switch is among the worst I've ever seen. Just shameful.

I wonder why the blacks turn to gray with the filter enabled, however. That's a strange choice since CRT's had perfect blacks.

okay, I think I gotta backpedal.

gameplay shots show some of those glitchy black bits on some white spots too even with "just" the CRT Filter and not the Bad Wires filter on. I don't really notice it in motion, however. It's just because I was looking for it now. (stage 1 music rocks btw)

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
okay, I think I gotta backpedal.

gameplay shots show some of those glitchy black bits on some white spots too even with "just" the CRT Filter and not the Bad Wires filter on. I don't really notice it in motion, however. It's just because I was looking for it now. (stage 1 music rocks btw)

Aw, man. That's really unfortunate because I want to play the whole game with the filter on, but I can't with those artifacts. It'll probably be a bit before a Switch patch to fix it shows up too. 😕

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Does it go away if you turn the in-game brightness down?
it's on default still, I've not turned it up like the reviewer. (changing it doesn't even do anything on handheld mode oO)
Aw, man. That's really unfortunate because I want to play the whole game with the filter on, but I can't with those artifacts. It'll probably be a bit before a Switch patch to fix it shows up too. 😕
dunno, I don't notice it at all during gameplay unless I really look for a very bright/white spot.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Despite the countdown reaching 0 on gamepass, it doesn't seem like it's actually available yet, at least in North America.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I've been looking forward to this game. I really hope it puts up a good challenge though. Too many "NES-homage" games are toothless.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through level 2.

Gameplay is still pretty simple so far (it seems it goes wilder later on in the game according to trailers) but level design is really solid so far and the aesthetics are on point.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
it's on default still, I've not turned it up like the reviewer. (changing it doesn't even do anything on handheld mode oO)

dunno, I don't notice it at all during gameplay unless I really look for a very bright/white spot.
There's no way I won't notice, especially now that I know it's there. It'll tear me apart.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
No X|S enhancement confirmed. So no 120hz on XSX then. Might pick up the PS5 version instead.

Edit: actually looks and plays great on XSX, very responsive

Last edited: