Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
feature-1.jpeg

Back in the old days, we had to pay full price for incremental upgrades—it was the only way. The expansion pass announced for Sword and Shield earlier this month brings Pokémon up to date with modern gaming standards.

Some people are calling GameFreak greedy. I've even seen some compare them to EA – a company infamous for shoddy DLC practices. The Expansion Pass is one huge package of bonus content, offering huge new areas, new Pokémon forms, and even new story aspects. I mean, just look at The Sims 4, a game with almost £500 of DLC content to purchase. This just isn't a comparable situation. Hell, even the extra Pokémon are going to be available without the new content packs, so calling this approach 'greedy' just baffles me.

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield are doing the right thing. I've had my share of complaints about the base game. I miss the National Pokédex, and I'm not a fan of the graphics, but this may be the first thing GameFreak has done right. The Nintendo Switch has internal storage, most people have a sizeable memory card, and Nintendo is pushing the eShop more than ever. Some of us were rather disappointed with Sword and Shield, but this is a step in the right direction. This gives us more for less, and that's always a good thing.

Game Freak has always charged us the price of a full game if we wanted to upgrade our Pokémon games with an enhanced version. For the first time ever they are doing something consumer friendly and up to modern standards of DLC instead of falling behind all the time. I think they have the right idea. Thoughts?

Full Article at Culture of Gaming

Nov 3, 2017
SWSH have many issues that need to be addressed but these expansion passes are not one of them. People don't seem to realise that the Nintendo Switch is the literally the first platform where they're able to realise their vision of providing content updates to their games. The GB, GBC, GBA, DS, and most recently the 3DS could not technically support the concept of DLC or Season Passes which is why they were always sold as an expanded version/third version.

djinnEXE

Oct 25, 2017
These expansion passes can be a good idea if they start releasing complete games again and then expand with a pass.

But ever since gen 6 they have become shallower experiences with each reiteration.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
SWSH have many issues that need to be addressed but these expansion passes are not one of them. People don't seem to realise that the Nintendo Switch is the literally the first platform where they're able to realise their vision of providing content updates to their games. The GB, GBC, GBA, DS, and most recently the 3DS could not technically support the concept of DLC or Season Passes which is why they were always sold as an expanded version/third version.

While I agree with you games did have DLC on the 3DS. Maybe even DS? Only 100% sure in 3DS.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Exactly.
Honestly I'm really hyped for it tbh. And I really like the idea of it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The fact that those without the Expansion Pass have the ability to be traded or transfer Pokémon added with it, and even have the ability to join in Max Raid Battles exclusive to the Expansion Pass is just perfection and a brilliant way to do it. No segmenting the userbase or anything. It's incredibly pro-user, despite what some may claim.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
It's the best idea GameFreak had in years.
Sell an expansion pack after the game has released so they have 1 more year to develop the next game.
I expect DLC for all future Pokemon games (even remakes)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's one of the best moves from game freak/TPC when it comes to mainline titles in years. great way to expand the life of the games, and being able to get to the new content without playing through the same content is really convenient.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
The fact that those without the Expansion Pass have the ability to be traded or transfer Pokémon added with it, and even have the ability to join in Max Raid Battles exclusive to the Expansion Pass is just perfection and a brilliant way to do it. No segmenting the userbase or anything. It's incredibly pro-user, despite what some may claim.
That is really awesome. Fragmenting the community would be really the worst. PLus all the new pokemons can be used even from those without the expansion.

Bizar895

Nov 2, 2017
The first thing I thought when seeing the direct was: noo why is pokemon going the dlc way. But reading this made me think more of it, and the argument that for the older games to be updated a whole new version had to be bought was way less consumer friendly than this dlc pass. So, I'm excited for the dlc (if there are no other games around that time I want to play). Had a great time through my run in SwSh, and the dlc will only expand this. :)

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I love it. For a while it felt like Gamefreak were just pump and dumping out new games. Glad they're making these ones feel a bit more special, and less expendable. It was starting to feel like the COD business model for a while.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
How did those fans ever convinced themselves that the old ways of how Pokemon does things wasn't greedy at all

Cerbero

Nov 3, 2017
While i like dlc more than having a third version it's the same amount of money as before.
3ds pokemon game 45€ + third version 45€ =90€
Switch pokemon game 60€ + season pass 30€ =90€

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
While i like dlc more than having a third version it's the same amount of money as before.
3ds pokemon game 45€ + third version 45€ =90€
Switch pokemon game 60€ + season pass 30€ =90€
That's due to the increase in game prices. If they were to do a third version then it wouldn't end up at 90 euros

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's due to the increase in game prices. If they were to do a third version then it wouldn't end up at 90 euros

Price comparisons feel pointless in general as well if they end up doing a second expansion pass anyway.

The idea is certainly the right direction, it just really comes down to the execution on this one. Hopefully there's about a lengthy, meaty 8 to 10 hour story to go through and then a big post-game facility or activity to spend further time in after the story (Which the legendary dens of Crown Tundra are hopefully. Just hope they are fairly big to explore and not like the Legendary Dimensions of Ultra Space in USUM.)

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Wouldn't it make more sense to wait for release before judging if it's worthwhile or not.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Far too early to call, "third versions" usually contain a fair amount of content that is integrated throughout the game (or in the case of B2/W2 you get a full new game) along with gameplay changes and various fixes. Currently this seems like it'll be a completely self-contained add-on that doesn't (and likely can't) address the myriad of problems the base game has.

While the third version was kinda crummy for customers, it did also ensure there was a final polished entry of each generation (something Gen 6 never got, and Gen 8 now likely won't have). Overall I'm 50/50 on the change, DLC is theoretically better than rebuying the same game, but also as I heard someone put it before, when you buy a third version you get a whole 50 hours game to go through again in a new way rather than just a short 6-10 hour expansion.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I'm fully on board with this as long as Gen 9s base games are more on par with BW, SM, or USUM. I mean in terms of overworld design, story, and content. Expansion Passes are entirely new content that do not affect the base region at all from what we have seen, so if the base content is still on the level of SwSh its meaningless to cut out 3rd versions with an incomplete product in the first place. As for the actual DLC it definitely seems to be a fair bit more new content than the 3rd versions or even B2W2 with new areas that could amount to an entirely new 2nd region's worth of Areas without the gym challenge. Finally, DLC means that they can allow for longer generation cycles without releasing an entirely new game almost every year. Theoretically that means a new game every 2 years or so with a far long dev cycle, assuring a higher level of quality.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Theoretically that means a new game every 2 years or so with a far long dev cycle, assuring a higher level of quality.

That's the key word in all of this I believe.

As a whole for the series, this does seem the right way to go forward.

For fixing the issues SwSh had? That's the wait and see part.

In regards for SwSh It solves the missing pokemon problem fairly well (Although there will still be around 400 pokemon missing. Really depends on how many of the 100 each pass are old mon and how many are new and that can still be a game breaker for people) and one hopes the post game activity list is expanded upon in this. But the in-game story is probably a lost cause at this point unless the anime fills in the blanks for a lot of characters (and the anime this time around isn't always in Galar).

And as for higher quality mainline titles, let's just say all the lead-up to gen 8 I was hearing about how stuff like US/UM and Let's Go was giving more development time to the main titles, and for a lot of people they left disappointed by the end result (Personally I'm mixed, liked some things, disliked others). So that "Theoretically" really does have a lot of weight to it.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This is the best route they could have taken. I wasn't a believer in DLC until Xenoblade 2 but now I can't see a better way for Pokémon games to move forward. I just hope they will do expansions for future remakes too and not just new gens. A new game every two years with expansions in between is a dream.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That's the key word in all of this I believe.

As a whole for the series, this does seem the right way to go forward.

For fixing the issues SwSh had? That's the wait and see part.

In regards for SwSh It solves the missing pokemon problem fairly well (Although there will still be around 400 pokemon missing. Really depends on how many of the 100 each pass are old mon and how many are new and that can still be a game breaker for people) and one hopes the post game activity list is expanded upon in this. But the in-game story is probably a lost cause at this point unless the anime fills in the blanks for a lot of characters (and the anime this time around isn't always in Galar).

And as for higher quality mainline titles, let's just say all the lead-up to gen 8 I was hearing about how stuff like US/UM and Let's Go was giving more development time to the main titles, and for a lot of people they left disappointed by the end result (Personally I'm mixed, liked some things, disliked others). So that "Theoretically" really does have a lot of weight to it.
That's why i used that word. I have been defending and talking about DLC for Pokemon for years now, and even here people told me its a pipe dream to expect gamefreak to go down that route with the base game being updated in a way that goes well beyond the normal content in Pokemon. And well, we are finally seeing that happen, but not in the way I expected it. SwSh as is definitely didn't feel like the sort of game that would get DLC and I easily saw it getting a sequel fixing a lot of its issues, with Gen 9 being the starting point for DLC. Again, if the base game is strong enough this direction is more than acceptable, but with a weal base game I do have my doubts.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At present there are 454 Pokémon not coded in the game. When the final pack is out, there will be no more than 254 Pokémon not coded in. Each pack says "More than 100 returning Pokémon" afterall
I dunno why may brain derped at 400, but I think the answer is around 300 still? There's 890 pokemon in total, 402 are currently in the game with the 400 in the dex plus Mew and Slowpoke. Over 200 are being added and I guess the point of contention is if the datamined pokemon are part of the 200 being added back in or not (The trailers marketed the return of previously datamined ones like Reshiram and Zekrom). Plus we don't know if those 200+ are also including new pokemon like Kubfu and the new Regi's. I wouldn't be surprised if each pack had about 10 to 20 new pokemon in them (Which is a good thing to have).

Assuming it is around 250 though, that is also still a fairly big number that are absent. About a quarter of them. Which was admittingly the percent I thought the game would have shipped at in the first place.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I dunno why may brain derped at 400, but I think the answer is around 300 still? There's 890 pokemon in total, 402 are currently in the game with the 400 in the dex plus Mew and Slowpoke. Over 200 are being added and I guess the point of contention is if the datamined pokemon are part of the 200 being added back in or not (The trailers marketed the return of previously datamined ones like Reshiram and Zekrom). Plus we don't know if those 200+ are also including new pokemon like Kubfu and the new Regi's. I wouldn't be surprised if each pack had about 10 to 20 new pokemon in them (Which is a good thing to have).

Assuming it is around 250 though, that is also still a fairly big number that are absent. About a quarter of them. Which was admittingly the percent I thought the game would have shipped at in the first place.
There's 436 currently coded in the game :)

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's 436 currently coded in the game :)

436 in the code but only 402 are available at the moment. Waiting to see if Bank lets you get the remaining 34 in or if you need to wait for Isle of Armor and Tundra Crown to get the rest of them in or if Gamefreak will count those 34 as part of the ones being added with those expansions. Personally hoping for the former. More mons the merrier in my book.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
436 in the code but only 402 are available at the moment. Waiting to see if Bank lets you get the remaining 34 in or if you need to wait for Isle of Armor and Tundra Crown to get the rest of them in or if Gamefreak will count those 34 as part of the ones being added with those expansions. Personally hoping for the former. More mons the merrier in my book.
But they're fully in the game, hence Mew.

It's no different to if all were coded in and we were waiting for HOME for them

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak has always charged us the price of a full game if we wanted to upgrade our Pokémon games with an enhanced version. For the first time ever they are doing something consumer friendly and up to modern standards of DLC instead of falling behind all the time. I think they have the right idea. Thoughts?
I mean the only pokemon games that could be updated before were the 3DS fames and 3DS had terrible digital sales. With switch expanding the digital market so much on Nintendo consoles it only makes sense to make expansions intead of a rerelease.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that should be too surprising. Most multiplayer games with additional paid content do that because, as you said, segmentation is a terrible thing for a userbase. I think people are complaining that there are 2 expansion passes though, which means it's more akin to their recent trend with B2/W2 or USUM and opposed to how it use to be with Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum, which is very much a valid complaint

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But they're fully in the game, hence Mew.

It's no different to if all were coded in and we were waiting for HOME for them

Guess the best way to phrase it is if those 34 remaining ones are going to be part of the Armor/Crown pokedexes and part of the 200 or so pokemon each half are bringing (around 100 per part), or if they are going to remain without a Dex Entry like Mew currently is. No way of knowing that until Home (Not Bank, my head's tired) comes out, which shouldn't be that much longer now if it's due for release next month.

I don't think that should be too surprising. Most multiplayer games with additional paid content do that because, as you said, segmentation is a terrible thing for a userbase.

It also was probably necessary just because of how Surprise Trade is set up. Creating two pools, one with DLC and one without is never good. Being able to join raids is good as well.

I actually debate if it's too generous as if you have no care for the additional story or post game facilities and just want to battle you can easily surprise trade for the pokemon you need and barter for the rarer ones. (A free GTS update would help even more, just saying Gamefreak. Would be nice if that wasn't tied to Home...)

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have a lot of issues with where Game Freak is taking Pokemon, issues with Sword and Shield that don't look like they'll be fixed here, but I do think DLC is a needed step forward for the series. I also do not see this as them being greedy, although one expansion pass should be able to detect the game it's being applied to, not sure of the reason exactly for two.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It is absolutely a good thing. Now instead of more content being locked to a whole new $60 third version, it's a $30 pass.

And the weirdos who buy both versions and are mad they can't buy only one pass for the two versions, would have paid $60 for a third version instead in the old days so this isn't worse for them either.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why anyone would have a problem with new content being added as DLC. Third versions have always sucked for everyone except people who skipped out on the initial releases. Once I realized it was $30 for both packs together and not $30 for each I had no complaints.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
It's definitely a good thing and better than a third version. But I wouldn't say it's what the series needs. What it needs is a good 5 years off to really build an excellent, polished game.