• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nashman1313

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Damn we taking beating today boys but I think the whole year will be very swingy up and down. Just Hodl on and enjoy the ride.

If things drop another 20% I'll be buying

Spawnsniper

Oct 28, 2017
I'l wait for another 10% drop then I'll buy. Even if it does go lower I'm sure I'll make it back rather quickly.

Jaffo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rome, Italy
Oh FUCK ME
I've been gone a week. I love reading the memes. Fortunately i'm not phazed in the least because i'm only in with play money.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man, looking at delta and seeing myself down $289.91 from my initial investment of $1000 is suffering. I mean, I can afford to lose it and didn't put in what I couldn't afford to lose. But man it sucks seeing things this far down.

Just go up dammit!

Oct 25, 2017
Man, looking at delta and seeing myself down $289.91 from my initial investment of $1000 is suffering. I mean, I can afford to lose it and didn't put in what I couldn't afford to lose. But man it sucks seeing things this far down.

Just go up dammit!

Some people in my groups are down multiple thousands. Could always be worse :) Just ride it out. Pretty sure if you stick to a long term plan youll be up eventually.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
my portfolio...

giphy.gif

2 weeks later and this .gif seems appropriate again

ah well, just gotta ride out this hellstorm and hope for the best

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
Thinking about it, its good to know that BTC is quite a bit lower than when I first bought in, yet i'm still up over 2x from my initial investment, which was mostly BTC (but now I dont hold any)

Crazed

Oct 25, 2017
Around Jan 1st I could have bought my affordable dream car in cash and had some leftover, now I can only afford about a third of it. 1st world crypto problems. :/
That's why we just hodl, couple months we'll probably all be laughing at this (or crying because it keeps dipping).

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Personally, I wouldn't give someone financial advice on a portfolio you know nothing about, yet you're "pretty sure" about regarding performance, when it's based on guessing and faith.
If someone is legit taking financial advice from an anonymous poster on a video game forum then that's on them. Sounds like he was just trying to be encouraging since we're all bleeding here.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If someone is legit taking financial advice from an anonymous poster on a video game forum then that's on them. Sounds like he was just trying to be encouraging since we're all bleeding here.
That's pretty much what I got from it. ~84% of my holdings are in the main coins anyhow so it's just these constant seemingly never-ending dips that you have to hodl through.

cryptoadam

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Watched a youtube video last night comparing this to the 2008 stock market crash.

And its a crash, we aren't in dip territory anymore. Losing 50% + of its value is crash city.

I have no professional background but I feel we haven't hit the bottom yet. Its tempting to get in but I am going to wait a few more days to see how low things can go.

Crazy seeing something like XRP down to a 1$ when a month ago I was freaking about how much I missed out when it hit close to 3. (and I am not an XRP fan anymore lost faith in it).

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Watched a youtube video last night comparing this to the 2008 stock market crash.

And its a crash, we aren't in dip territory anymore. Losing 50% + of its value is crash city.

I have no professional background but I feel we haven't hit the bottom yet. Its tempting to get in but I am going to wait a few more days to see how low things can go.

Crazy seeing something like XRP down to a 1$ when a month ago I was freaking about how much I missed out when it hit close to 3. (and I am not an XRP fan anymore lost faith in it).
Lots of sources I trust were saying 8k would eventually happen in early January.
I was salty I couldn't buy in when things were at their lowest last month. Now I'm sat here with my paycheck like a kid in a candy store. I'm still waiting though.

cryptoadam

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Lots of sources I trust were saying 8k would eventually happen in early January.
I was salty I couldn't buy in when things were at their lowest last month. Now I'm sat here with my paycheck like a kid in a candy store. I'm still waiting though.

I have heard 8K as well.

I think we are in for a bit of run here. The its only a New Years dip phase has passed. All though I always felt that Feb/March would be down months and we would be seeing a turn around later March/April.

But again not based on anything just my feeling. I am not buying now because IMO I think its going to drop to 8 and maybe flat line. We might even see lower than that.

cryptoadam

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
I am 50/50 on BTC breaking ATH's. On one hand there is a limited supply, speculative fever, and its the gateway to the market.

OTOH ETH is moving fast. Exchanges are expanding to take ETH/LTC pairs and some even with USD.

If BTC isn't used mainly for trading and for speculative value I can see it dropping out of the top 3 Crypto's. Everyone complains about BTC fee's and speed. I made all my purchases with ETH and haven't bought 1 BTC.

I know no one can predict the future, but do y'all think BTC could fall out of the top 3 or even 5? IMO if it doesn't have speculative value and loses its mainstream mindshare I can see other coins overtaking it.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
there's a LOT of people out there to whom bitcoin is basically synonymous with crypto though

should it take a tumble down the rankings? probably,but mindshare is a powerful thing and that could take a long time to dissipate

cryptoadam

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
there's a LOT of people out there to whom bitcoin is basically synonymous with crypto though

should it take a tumble down the rankings? probably,but mindshare is a powerful thing and that could take a long time to dissipate

I agree, but things move fast in crypto. IMO Etherum is starting to take some of that mindshare. I 100% agree that BTC is the mainstream coin now. But in 1 or 2 years it could be passed very easily by something. Speculation and mindshare IMO is the only thing keeping BTC going.

If BTC was hard capped at 9K there is almost no use for it. Other coins are faster and cheaper, and now other coins act as gateways into the market and who knows USD might even become an option as a pair. Once that happens BTC might be done.

What it does have going for it is its limited coin supply, which means to me once they are all mined and someone wants to buy one then the price will only go up. But if you could buy COLX or ADC with USD why even bother with BTC?

Mindshare/Gateway/Speculation, these are the 3 things BTC has going for it to keep it propped up. Once those 3 go away there won't be a reason for BTC IMO.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Guessing people are just saying ETH is great now because of it's market cap? Have you all forgotten cryptokitties already?

ETH as a coin is a good bet for now, as a platform it's seriously flawed and not moving as quickly as the competition to where public blockchains need to get if they are ever going to be used in earnest.

Nothing to do with it. Even at the height of cryptokitties popularity ETH was still running better than BTC. There are no other projects, to my knowledge, that scale significantly better with the same level of decentralization. The ones that do scale better all rely on centralized tactics.

Vitalik has made it clear he doesn't want to go the easy route, he's aiming to keep the the same level of decentralization while also massively boosting scaling.

He also talked about this in a recent interview, basically no blockchain scales well enough right now to really run mainstream apps on the public chain. He thinks private chains will continue to be used for the time being. This podcast is a good listen: http://unchainedpodcast.co/vitalik-buterin-creator-of-ethereum-on-the-big-guy-vs-the-little-guy

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Bitcoin is dead. Robinhood and Square are going to give it a lot of momentum in 2018.

Even if Ethereum hits #1 in market cap, I don't think it will replace Bitcoin as the de facto cryptocurrency either.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
So I used cointracking.info to import all my exported histories from the exchanges I use in order to calculate the taxes for 2017. I obviously have no idea if the result is correct, but this'll have to do for my tax filings. No way am I gonna calculate this by hand.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017

If you're going to get it, I would advise waiting for the price crash after it releases. Learned that the hard way myself.

Otherwise I remain dubious of the price potential of tokens. x3-5 if you can get in low on a good project though. You just have to be sure to get in low. Potential increases if they evolve into their own coin platform like VEN is. Most won't though.

mmazurkiewicz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
all the retail suckers who bought and lost are never coming back into any crypto. bitcoin isn't coming back. this isn't a pullback, this is the crash, and the end of life. some other coin will take the top spot but i imagine all coins being abandoned for the next year+ after the crash is over as no retail investor touches this nonsense.