jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is your opinion on this from a personal viewpoint, not if I was Sony or Microsoft.

Positives

Playing third party games like Battlefield etc. with a bigger pool of players, friends who don't own the same console. It would at heart be one big community for games and be a lot of fun to participate in.

Games that have a smaller following having a better chance to thrive, more niche experiences finding an active audience.

Worldwide audience, different time zones, active players, console platform success isn't worldwide so it helps communities be more active across the world at any time.

Negatives

Arguably having to sign up to more specific game services to access cross-play progression etc. although this isn't always case, Rocket League backend does it seamlessly but we could end up with an Activision account etc. to play games like COD, could also not be the case as they want you to buy DLC twice, don't want the overhead so most games would implement it like Rocket League which is invisible.

Kryst

Banned
Jul 30, 2018
I think its pointless to talk about cross play without mentioning the companies behind it considering the impact it has.

There isn't anything outright wrong with cossplay I just don't see the necessity in it.
We don't need bigger pools of people in multiplatform games like battlefield and CoD. Their servers are always filled to the brim with people to play.
Cross play is solving a problem that simply doesn't exist.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Lots of games could get a boost out of an infusion of new players, it's obviously a thing that matters when your games isn't CoD or Battlefield.

FFXIV gets great benefit out of PS4 and PC crossplay, I would love to see Sony get over allowing Xbox to play with PS4 players there and give greater life to the game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Negatives: zero. Since you can opt out of it and it would be just like it had no crossplay. Seriously, anyone saying "but I don't want to play with PC/other console players!".... You dont have to.

The account "requirements" you're talking about are in case by case basis and the cases that do require them would need you to create an account regardless so not sure why you are blaming crossplay on it (specially when your example leans into crossprogression which is another thing)

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a weak negative tbh. Cross-play is overall a great feature despite Sony trying to convince their users otherwise.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think its pointless to talk about cross play without mentioning the companies behind it considering the impact it has.

There isn't anything outright wrong with cossplay I just don't see the necessity in it.
We don't need bigger pools of people multiplatform games like battlefield and CoD. Their servers are always filled to the brim with people to play.

What about smaller games with lower populations?

What about the fact it might open up more server options for Battlefield players later in the games cycle? You might want a specific map that only has full servers on one platform but has space in a server on another?

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017

We don't need bigger pools of people in multiplatform games like battlefield and CoD. Their servers are always filled to the brim with people to play.
I take it you don't play fighting games.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
The main negative for me is asymmetrical input devices creating unfair competition. This mainly applies to shooters for kb&mouse on PC against controllers on console.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Discussing the negatives of crossplay is almost as baffling as discussing the negatives of refunds

"Negative: Companies will be more afraid to put out shitty/broken games knowing we can get our money back after testing it"

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst negative (and the only one) is that playing with PC players in some genres, shooters or driving games, can be detrimental for one or another because of getting together gamepad and K+M users.

Also, framerates and resolutions can give an unfair advantage to some users.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Not exactly related but it's weird how the whole ordeal erupted from Switch users being unable to login to their Epic accounts previously used on PS4, then turned into "Sony's the villain because they won't let PS4 players play with Xbox/Switch players!"

I could give a rat's ass about Sony's walled garden or even xplay for that matter I just want to access my Season 2 and 3 cosmetics on Switch :/

Negative: Assuming most publishers follow Epic's precedent, then having to have a different account per game could result in pretty much the same situation that started the whole thing. I just want consistent x-progression at the very least, is that too much to ask? Or at least make disclaimers necessary that state whether or not your progress can be accessed on other platforms.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There is no real, legitimate con to this from the side of the consumer. The only thing that can really brought up (controller vs. mouse) is a game to game hurdle they can handle themselves, like fortnite not tossing you in with pc players unless you're in a group with one already.

Smaller games get a consolidated user base, players can pick up and maintain progress across devices and play with friends on whatever they're using. Just convenience everywhere.

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018

What about the ability to play with friends who might have different consoles? Not all of us can afford multiple machines.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
Discussing the negatives of crossplay is almost as baffling as discussing the negatives of refunds

"Negative: Companies will be more afraid to put out shitty/broken games knowing we can get our money back after testing it"

Aye, I don't think there's any legitimate negative to crossplay. It might have limited effect on your own gaming experience (I don't really care either way) but there's really only positives that come with it.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Postive i can see is that cross-play provides an even larger pool of players, so games like Rocket League you can more often or not find players quicker and get a game going.

Only negative i can find is that you might have to sign up to a different companies network to access features, but again Rocket League (as an example) you don't.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Yep, main negative is unfair hardware differences, e.g. more powerful console, different controllers. I already dislike mid-gen consoles and Scuf controllers because of this, and it will be even worse with cross-platform play.

And before someone says "you will be able to opt out" - if I opt out then I will have a smaller playerbase, since many people won't bother/know to turn it off.

Additional reason - more people buying my console equals more support for my console, so there's that too.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Larger player bases for struggling or niche games/genres is probably the most important positive. Faster match making, better quality (skill, connection) matches. Would keep some games from being completely dead.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with crossplay. Still don't care about it. If I had a list of priorities, it would be at the bottom.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
It's all positives as a gamer except for one thing. Eventually, a developer will make it not possible to opt out of even though there's a competitive advantage on a different platform. Like say people on keyboard and mouse vs people with controllers in twitch shooters.

OP
OP
jelly

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The main negative for me is asymmetrical input devices creating unfair competition. This mainly applies to shooters for kb&mouse on PC against controllers on console.

I don't think that's a problem if they exclude or include that option. I wouldn't want to play with Kb&m players in shooters, maybe in some other cases but depends what the UI and control of a game is like. We could have Battlefield etc. PC players versus console players but we don't for good reason so it doesn't worry me too much.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

So, do you think fighting gamers don't have a population problem? Or racing games? Just curious.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Crossplay would be great for gamers. It would unite playerbases instead of the divide we have now. Inclusion instead of exclusion.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Positives:
  • Bigger player pool, something especially games with smaller player bases could gain from massively
  • You can opt-out of it
  • Different platforms being able to play together means more options in regards to input options and other things.
Negatives:
  • Console warz through voice or text chat. FF11 did already feature that, and although it did not dominate discussion from what I experienced, it occasionally came up.
  • The burden of moderation and hosting the servers would be mostly on the publishers, I think? Pretty sure all cross-play games so far out there are running on dedicated servers, meaning smaller games like Stardew Valley which work through P2P can't be cross-play. (Please prove me wrong on this)

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Yep, main negative is unfair hardware differences, e.g. more powerful console, different controllers. I already dislike mid-gen consoles and Scuf controllers because of this, and it will be even worse with cross-platform play.

And before someone says "you will be able to opt out" - if I opt out then I will have a smaller playerbase, since many people won't bother/know to turn it off.

Additional reason - more people buying my console equals more support for my console, so there's that too.

Uh, I'm guessing you don't play cross-play games? You're usually matched with players on the SAME platform by default. Cross-play is an OPT-IN feature. There really aren't any negatives to cross-play unless you invent one...

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Positives: larger playerbase means that matchmaking and the general health of the online service is improved.

Negatives: some platforms may offer an advantage or disadvantage compared to others (mouse+keyboard versus analogue, 720p/1080p versus 1440p/4k, 30fps versus 60fps or higher, etc).

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I don't think there is anything inherently negative about cross-play as a concept. Implementation is another matter, and it's certainly understandable that in, say, an FPS, console players would rather stick with other console players and avoid kb&m users. But the reasonable response to that isn't to stubbornly refuse to support cross-play but rather give players options that restrict the potential player pool. When everybody can tailor the experience to their liking, everybody wins.

Kryst

Banned
Jul 30, 2018
Lots of games could get a boost out of an infusion of new players, it's obviously a thing that matters when your games isn't CoD or Battlefield.

FFXIV gets great benefit out of PS4 and PC crossplay, I would love to see Sony get over allowing Xbox to play with PS4 players there and give greater life to the game.
There are enough gamers on each platform for this not to be needed. I can really only think of PC gaming where one would chiefly be concerned about this with big budget multiplayer games dying within days. But this is an issue with the PC base as a whole and wishing to cross play with them is a big iffy considering the whole mouse vs controller and the prevalence of hacking on the PC side compared to the console side not to mention some might find it unfair if PC are allowed to compete with far higher framerates not at all making it into an even fight.
I take it you don't play fighting games.
True, though that is the nature of highly competitive games.
Fighting games would probably benefit most of cross play no doubt.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Negative: Infrastructure susceptibility.

I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't want another 2011.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I don't think the hardware differences are that big a deal. If you can set your system to prioritise framerate at expense of visuals you should be on the same playing field really.

Hell some people deliberatly turn down graphics in competitive MP PC games because it makes things easier to see.

There are enough gamers on each platform for this not to be needed. I can really only think of PC gaming where one would chiefly be concerned about this with big budget multiplayer games dying within days. But this is an issue with the PC base as a whole and wishing to cross play with them is a big iffy considering the whole mouse vs controller and the prevalence of hacking on the PC side compared to the console side not to mention some might find it unfair if PC are allowed to compete with far higher framerates not at all making it into an even fight.

But not enough of those gamers are playing all the MP games that live and die by having a healthy community.

Hacking, yes you've got a point there. Dark Souls on PC is ruined by that shit.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing the people that try to downplay it like the 2nd post that somehow don't seem to realize "Wait, people have friends."

Maybe you personally don't have any friends that game on other platforms, but it should be a blindly obvious problem that crossplay would solve.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Negatives:
  • Hackers. With PS4 and Switch now having been cracked it's only a matter of time until hackers begin to run rampant in online. It's already happening on Splatoon, and it's always been a problem on PC. Not something I'm particularly keen about on Xbox.
  • Forcing use of third party account and party systems. Now this is up to the game, Fortnite handles it really well where it still feels like a normal native experience and still uses your Gamertag and you can still use the system OS to invite friends to your party like usual. Warthuder on the other hand makes you create a new username and invite friends to your party solely through the in game interface. Now this may have changed over the years and it should considering this is against Xbox's policies for online but it's something to think about. I'm cautious how Rocket League will implement it.
These are two I don't see discussed very much but something I myself worry about. Along with the usual different input devices and graphical fidelity discussed here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't see any negatives outside from nitpicks like 'more cheaters' and 'controller advantage'. The first one should be fixed by the devs themselves and the 2nd via separate filters and option to cater for different preferences. Cross-play is and should be an option.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Uh, I'm guessing you don't play cross-play games? You're usually matched with players on the SAME platform by default. Cross-play is an OPT-IN feature. There really aren't any negatives to cross-play unless you invent one...

I do play crossplay lol. In fact, I regularly crossplay with PC people on Fortnite.

However, in the future, if there is console to console crossplay I don't think it will be as opt-in as it currently is with PC. I'm sure we would see some games come out with console to console crossplay as default, or at least encouraged.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Positives:
-Small games get bigger userbases, which is a HUGE plus for longevity (no, this is not a "non-issue", it's an issue that exists for small games, and several tiny communities cut apart like this can outright kill games)
-Friends can play with each other without hassle

Negatives:
-toxic community can cause issues, if one community is more toxic than another. At the same time, it might dillute the toxicity and make it seem less acceptable, especially if moderation is stepped up.

There's really only positives. Closed gardens are an outdated concept that overall offers nothing but hassle, and the toxic part is usually a non-issue.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Only negative is hackers getting online working on 1 of the consoles, which is unfortunately probably just a matter of time at this point.

I wouldn't even consider having to have a bunch of in-game friendlist a negative, just a slight inconvenience.

Outside of that, it's at worst, just the same as it is now, as you'd probably have opt-in/out options.

Stillmatic

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's amazing the people that try to downplay it like the 2nd post that somehow don't seem to realize "Wait, people have friends."

Maybe you personally don't have any friends that game on other platforms, but it should be a blindly obvious problem that crossplay would solve.
Why do you have to call it 'downplaying'? Some people just don't care, like me. It wasn't a problem for me before this gen, and it won't be after.

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Are you American? because that is the reason I see for such an ignorant comment. Try been Australian and struggling to find a match for most games unless it's your popular games like your CODs, Battlefields or Steam top 20. Cross play injects ALOT of life in smaller communities. Opening access to another platform is very significant to people like me.

Kryst

Banned
Jul 30, 2018
What about the ability to play with friends who might have different consoles? Not all of us can afford multiple machines.
I think you should have purchased the console that your friends did if your priority was to play with your friends.
It feels like people are using cross play to excuse bad purchasing decisions.
"I made a mistake so I want this feature to correct it".
You can't have and eat your cake too.

So, do you think fighting gamers don't have a population problem? Or racing games? Just curious.
That is an inherent problem within the genre being unable to tap to a wider audience and appeal to them.
The platforms themselves have large enough audiences to support these games if they are being pushed to the wayside then I think its because those games just aren't good.

Artificially extending those games via cross play could be more negative than positive in terms of future sequels doing a better job in tapping the market.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
There are no negatives lol. Developers should allow you to opt in and out of it is all.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It should always be optional if implemented but would that also mean my PS4 playerbase actually gets smaller if I disable it as it will split up in two pools? Then I don't want it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you have to call it 'downplaying'? Some people just don't care, like me. It wasn't a problem for me before this gen, and it won't be after.

Because it is? If your argument is "I am not personally affected by this" I don't know how else to put it. The entire concept of this crossplay argument is a social one, and so people should take into account this obvious aspect.