RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Whilst it's played for comedy, it's in no way played for parody.
"an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect."

They are certainly imitating certain anime tropes and exaggerating them trying to make them funny.

Some are even more specific parody, like the entirety of chapter 4. All that giant robot goofiness.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Literally the only ridiculous anime stuff played as a parody in Xenoblade 2 is chapter 4. If they really were going for the parody angle for the rest of the game then oof, they're bad at it.
Let me check:
  • Hunt Down the Freeman
  • Heavy Rain
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Mortal Kombat 4
  • Tomb Raider 2013
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • DmC
  • Ride to Hell: Retribution
  • KotoR 2
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Halo 4
  • Drake of the 99 Dragons
  • Dark Forces: Jedi Knight
  • System Shock 2
At first glance.
Please protect glorious Nippon from this injustice.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
It's played for comedy/parody.

That's Rex and Mythra, and the scene is an exact parallel to the start of Chapter 2 where Rex wakes up in Pyra's lap after crashing and gets embarrassed. Mythra has the same flustered reaction Rex had.

I understand that, doesnt take away the absurdity of Rex purposefully grabbing Mythra and placing her head in his crotch as he looks to the sky 'philosophically'

Mar 17, 2018
I won't dispute this, but I don't recall the scene in question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD3St2PLtp8

Basically, this whole thing was just pure cheese and way too much for me to take. I just couldn't do it anymore. That video is most of it I think. Not sure.

Jesus, I mean I am all for some humor in games, but MGS4 is the biggest fucking mess of all time. And I have no idea why people didn't want Kojima fired from Konami. I think even Konami was like we want you to do better things lol. Seriously, anybody that wanted him to keep writing and making this horseshit is insane.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 wins for most recent cringefest though no one posted the scene where Rex and Pyra wake up after falling into a chasm with Rex holding Pyras face in his crotch. They did not land like this, no, he purposefully must have move her body into this position. I almost stopped playing the game right there.
lmao Xenoblade 2 haters on this site say the weirdest, most hyperbolic shit

Oct 27, 2017
As bad as the Xenoblade 2 shit is, at least I went in knowing what it was gonna be like.

Nothing prepared me for Tatsu in Xenoblade X. And that creepy 13 year old.

POTATO GUYS, HA HA HA. TATSU FOOD JOKE, HA HA HA

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't agree with some of the examples being used, XC2 definitely has some of the cringiest cutscenes (and character designs) I've seen in recent gaming.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
First is the blushy-crushy scene in Xenoblade 2. I've seen a lot of cringy stuff in video games, but that scene takes the cake.

Next would be the laughing scene in FFX. And you know what? I LOVED EVERY FUCKING SECOND OF IT. It was the best kind of cringe and had me belly laughing over the sheer absurdity of it all.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Almost the entirety of Ride to Hell Retribution, especially the "sex" scenes.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I like Xenoblade 2; I think it's a decent game with incredibly good combat, but damn are some of those cutscenes bad.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
On top of the puddle scene in MGSV, this scene is fucking bad as well:

It feels so skeevy you can almost hear the sound of Kojima jerking it off in the background.

Otherwise it's always fun to see people with profile pics of 12 year old anime girls defending creepy anime BS lol

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Theory is definitley sexualised.
8c26d97fda17d3b012202322576d23d0.jpg

This might be one of the worst character designs ive ever seen. Jesus christ

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Man what the fuck happened to Xenoblade? The first game didn't have this shit. No hot springs, no weird pervy shit, and while it did have the costumes that got skimpier, the crazy shit I've seen in XC2 is easily 20 times worse.

And the worst part is that is sells.
Xenoblade 1 was bad at times too.

They just didn't have tech/art to do as much
So they stuck jiggle everywhere in X1.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
The true cringe test:
Xenoblade chronicles 2 vs the people who defend its cringe lol

Make no mistake, this isn't hyperbole...The game is chock full of cringe and really offensive material that's been posted here. It's not only cringey but just wrong in all the ways. Being a woman it's extremely offensive in all manners how they objectify and determent consistently. I'm not even bothered by it, just...why. It's insulting and disgusting this form of imagery is allowed in gaming this day and age when we have progressive in all other forms of media...just gaming seems to still do "things" like these, more so Japanese gaming.

But honestly...for the most part I just laughed throughout most of my playthrough due to how ridiculous the writing was. Nothing ever bothered me, but that stands to say the material is pretty atrocious in all matters of speaking. I value anyone's viewpoint and it is clear to me it bothered many here if this topic is anything to go by. Anyone defending it, I have nothing to say towards them so I agree wholeheartedly with you. With that said, I am in no authority to judge anyone so to each their own.

Last edited:

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what scenes are cringeworthy in Xenoblade 1? I don't even remember a kissing scene or an overy comedic scene (maybe Riki's introduction?).

This take is just... terrible.

So Xenoblade 2 follows the logic: Blades have American accents, humans have British accents.

FINALLY SOMEONE POSTED THE CLAVES DEATH SCENE.

What the flying fuck. Eternal Sonata is proof that a good premise and a few good ideas can trick people into believing a game is good despite the worst execution.

I still bloody hate how half the characters in the game exist only to be shipped with other characters. HAVING A CRUSH DOES NOT MAKE CHARACTERS THREE DIMENSIONAL.

Xenoblade 2 sold like hell, if anything it made it less niche.

It's way less niche than the first one, anime girls go a long way into making niche sci-fi fantasy popular. The original is actually about something, and that doesn't always sell.
I would love to see anybody defend Mass Effect 2's Miranda romance scenes. Please, I am actually begging you to explain how meaningful it was, true to life, how it touched you in some positive way or something. Anything.

Discharger

Oct 25, 2017
The blushy crushy scene was enough to make me quit the game. It didn't help that my sister decided to come in and see what the game was all about at that very moment. She's done that for years since we were kids. And this was the first time something had really annoyed her to the point of exasperation.

And this is coming from who loved playing XB1 and X. So for all the posters going "Hur hur, Era just loves hatin' it." It's such a distracting and terrible step down from the first two games, you bet your ass I'm going to keep complaining about it.

I honestly can't blame you. I was completely shocked the first time I saw it, and couldn't believe it was in the game. There are other parts of the japanese script that the english localization needed to massage in order to make it palatable to north american audiences (see this video*** for more details), so I can only imagine what the original japanese text said. Yikes.

***Side note regarding the video I mentioned above: there are very minor spoilers related to Poppi, so if you are reading this and are very sensitive to spoilers, do not watch the video until you have completed the game. Again, nothing major, but if you want to play through XBC2 completely fresh, I would suggest avoiding it. If you want to see some examples without spoilers, you can click here for a link with a timestamp passed them***

I feel like when playing this game, if you are playing it in a place other people might see it, you may need to come up with an excuse ahead of time to explain what you're doing. Just in case someone asks and you need to use it. If the designs hadn't been so sexualized, this would not have been as big of an issue, but here we are.

Again, I stress that the cringe scenes I mentioned are very rare, but what isn't unfortunately are the sexualized designs and pandering camera angles, which do appear more regularly.

If you find your tolerance for the things I mentioned in my post is quite low, I would not bother proceeding. If you are able to look past the flaws in the game, the high points in the game are very high. Unfortunately, the low points are quite low as well.

The Torna DLC is much better in all regards when it comes to this sort of thing, but as some of the blades from the first game carry over, their sexualized designs do as well. Additionally, I don't recommend playing Torna before XBC2, as it spoils some scenes from the main game, and other scenes will have less impact without the context the XBC2 provides.

I'm very conflicted with this game. On one hand, XBC2 and the Torna DLC gave me some of my favorite emotional story moments in gaming. On the other hand, I can't wholeheartedly recommend the games to everyone, unlike my favorite JRPG games, the Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky trilogy, which have much better dialogue (the best I've seen in a JRPG), and lean much less heavily on anime tropes.

Although I haven't played XBC1 or XBX, I just recently started watching a let's play of XBC1 to flesh out the story connections I was missing by only having played XBC2, and I can see why fans of the previous games might not be happy about the new direction. XBC1 is basically a sci-fi game with slight anime undertones, and the character's behavior is less over the top than XBC2. Not sure which of the 2 games I prefer more at this time, as I am withholding judgement until I finish seeing XBC1 through, but they are definitely different. XBC1 seems like a much more mature story overall so far, and I'm looking forward to see it all the way through.

I feel like this is going over my head, whats the implication here? Whats blushy crushy? I've never played this game...

If you really want to know more, check here and here.

Last edited:

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I nominate Dante's "Shakespearean" cutscene in Devil May Cry 4. Of all Dante's cheesy scenes in 4 (most of which I adore), this has got to be Dante's lowest point in the series. The dialogue, Reuben Langdon's voice acting, the fireworks in the background, just everything about this scene was terrible and made me feel genuine cringe, it has aged like rotten cheese now that I'm rewatching it again.

Crossing fingers I never see anything like this in DMC5.

What's yours?

Fuck you that's the best. I legitimately love that scene and how heavily they lay into the cheesiness. Unlike:
"Dark soul with light" is worse.

DMC4 is intentionally cheesy, DMC1 not so much.

there we go, that's some quality cringe right there...

NotoriousPUG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read anything in this thread so I don't know if it has been posted, but Bioshock Inifinite had a scene that had you "press A to console" Elizabeth. That point was where I stopped playing, and never returned.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade never went to the lengths the second one did, I believe. Even X was very reserved in how it applied to all this. XC2...I don't know what happened.
eh, All 3 have serious issues imo.
X2 is probably the worst offender, but I'm not about to give a gold star to a game in which I avoided better equipments because of the bad designs.
And we all remember XCX's issues.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
On top of the puddle scene in MGSV, this scene is fucking bad as well:

lol

Is this how men think women shower?

Holy fuck this is gross.

If something is bad on purpose, isn't it still bad?

It doesn't magically become good.

too true
CheapFickleAfricanmolesnake-size_restricted.gif

Theory is definitley sexualised.
8c26d97fda17d3b012202322576d23d0.jpg

If the theoretical third game is this bad or worse for the sexualized design, I, with a very heavy heart, would have to sit it out.
I can't in good conscious keep supporting a series that sees my sex in such a simple-minded and harmful way.
And I fucking love, almost literally, everything else about these games.

Last edited:

Discharger

Oct 25, 2017
The true cringe test:
Xenoblade chronicles 2 vs the people who defend its cringe lol

I don't think there is any appropriate defense for the cringe and designs in the game. Just inexcusable, and hopefully further games from Monolithsoft are better in this regard, as from what I've seen of XBC1 and heard of XBX, this was not a big issue in those games (aside from certain equipment you can choose not to equip).

It's too bad these things had to appear in what is otherwise a well designed game with a very imaginative story that in my case, I felt was worth playing; Assuming of course you can ignore some of its problems.

Make no mistake, this isn't hyperbole...The game is chock full of cringe and really offensive material that's been posted here. It's not only cringey but just wrong in all the ways. Being a woman it's extremely offensive in all manners how they objectify and determent consistently. I'm not even bothered by it, just...why. It's insulting and disgusting this form of imagery is allowed in gaming this day and age when we have progressive in all other forms of media...just gaming seems to still do "things" like these, more so Japanese gaming.

But honestly...for the most part I just laughed throughout most of my playthrough due to how ridiculous the writing was. Nothing ever bothered me, but that stands to say the material is pretty atrocious in all matters of speaking. I value anyone's viewpoint and it is clear to me it bothered many here if this topic is anything to go by. Anyone defending it, I have nothing to say towards them so I agree wholeheartedly with you. With that said, I am in no authority to judge anyone so to each their own.

It has been a while since I played through the game, so maybe I've forgotten some of the "cringe" moments, but the two I mentioned in my post were by far the worst by my recollection. Maybe I've become too desensitized to the type of crap JRPGs typically pull on this front, but the sooner japanese developers drop those bad habits, the better. As I've said previously, the sexualized designs and pandering camera angles regularly on display are really off-putting, and the game would be much better if they were gone. Assuming one can overlook some of its issues, there is quality content there, in my opinion. Although, I agree - the writing is not XBC2's strong point.

I would like to be able to enjoy it without feeling guilty of inadvertently supporting this type of behavior, but I can't recommend it in good conscience without a heavy disclaimer about its problems.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Oh... I see this thread became just another XC2 hyperbole thread...

As for the actual answer:

F - Z E R O G X

For all the characters... I guess that'a just a thing you have to watch once to believe it, and never again...

Music is dope af though

Discharger

Oct 25, 2017

As for the actual answer:

F - Z E R O G X

For all the characters... I guess that'a just a thing you have to watch once to believe it, and never again...

Music is dope af though

WTF! I don't remember that in F-Zero GX. Are all the profiles as cringe or, is this one special?

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I think the posters mentioning Star Ocean The Last Hope are correct. Some of the private actions cutscenes were absurdly bad, even for your typical anime style story.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

pamiJYY.png

Oh hey look another dude telling me I'm over-reacting to seeing fellow women dressed up like space strippers, especially in a game where the men are generally 90%+ covered up and experience no ridiculous pervy anime situations or ass/bust shots. It's totally unfair and completely unbalanced; the design choices are damned obvious in their intention.
But by all means, tell me how we're being hyperbolic because I really want to know what the other lot isn't seeing.

6iad29Sl.jpg
bVdube3l.jpg
bK6b2oVl.jpg
8RlSFiXl.jpg
xdXVlfgl.jpg
PWcSweHl.jpg
K6gMk2ol.jpg
tcrAZQGl.jpg
DcAXorql.jpg
aUWaAqBl.jpg
KcaanSwl.jpg
J7PhPx0l.jpg
96gwN7nl.jpg
w5Uc743l.jpg
FA4VY6Gl.jpg
ciXOGPsl.jpg
YkaYqpGl.jpg
WWE2wYDl.jpg
P7JPKz6l.jpg

(such a shame, there;s a lot of outstanding design ideas here, but clearly showing girls off with incredibly exposed "combat gear" was more important)

Here's the one dude that could get bragging rights for being a bit sexualized. So yay, a crumb of man-service
cSY3VFLl.jpg

But naw this game is cool and we're all just being hyperbol--

53LYXGi.png

4ASCuS5.jpg

download.jpg

xenoblade-chronicles-2-pyrass.jpg

cfa015a6cbb1ad1f6e11fede2843515a.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

SweetChinMusic

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2018
Nintendo has been loosening up their restrictions for a while now on their family friendly-ness. They are in general more open to more crass content. Outside of that the game is really fantastic, the story is great, the characters are great, the music is great, the environments are great, the battle system is great, etc... To say the whole game is bad because of the anime tropes is kind of overlooking what it does exceptionally well. The tropes arent necessarily as cringy to every person, some can overlook those aspects and still love the game. Thats not to say it doesnt effect some people very strongly, but it isnt necessarily true of every person.

I think k the problem is it is so embarrassingly creepy and filled with cringe that it's hard to even enjoy the game. Especially if you're constantly looking over your shoulder hoping no one walks in while you're playing.