• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RogueAgent

Oct 30, 2017
I'm about 9 hours in and I'm enjoying it immensely. I was a huge fan of Crackdown 1 and this scratches the same itch for me.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
People keep comparing it to games that weren't even that great to begin with, such as Agents of Mayhem, Prototype, Infamous, Just Cause, but even those kind of games aren't too relevant today.

Open world games have been trying to push the bar forward with storytelling, gameplay, graphics, interactions, animations that those games mentioned above shouldn't even be in the conversation with Red Dead, Grand Theft Auto V, Spider-Man, Horizon.

From the looks of it, Crackdown 3 shouldn't even be in the conversation of the games that are already dated and out of the conversation as it hasn't even learned anything from those games years after their release.

I really dislike the term 'fun' that has been going around, it also went around for Sea of Thieves on release when there was actually nothing to do, at least that game had a sense of beauty to get lost in. He'll, just riding in a boat in the sea seems like it would be a good time...as a screensaver.

I'm glad people are enjoying it, but our house Xbox doesn't get used for anything besides Rare replay. It's taken the N64's place as Perfect Dark is still amazing, as well as a prettier looking Conker.
Oh god, a Crackdown with a serious plot trying to be Red Dead Redemption is the most horrible idea in history. Of that list if you want compare Crackdown with one, that one is spiderman and only spiderman.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Jim isn't the only one saying these things; as a point of fact, most of the critics have the same complaints to varying degrees.

I personally gave it a couple of tries and I agree with him and the rest of the detractors; it's just not all that good.

I'm aware that a lot of other critics also didn't like it, but when Jim lambasts something to this extent, I know to pay attention. The last game he showered with such vitriol was Darksiders 3, and it ended up being one of the best games I've played this entire gen.

If Jim loves a game, it often means it's rubbish, and if he really hates a game, there's a very good chance I'll enjoy it. He's actually a pretty useful gauge of quality in this way.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people think that the game not aiming for a story and aiming for "making your own fun" excuses this game's alleged failings? Breath of the Wild did the same thing and is on hardware that was at least one generation behind, and is one of the greatest games ever made. Crackdown 3 doesn't seem too accomplished at what it sets out to do either.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
People getting banned got Crackdown 3 of all games?
This the sword you choose to fall on? Really?

Garyizraw

Sep 14, 2018
I can honestly see why anyone would say this game isn't good, but in my fair opinion it is a fun game. Gamepass helps a lot I don't feel burnt by the price tag so I guess I can actually enjoy it

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm aware that a lot of other critics also didn't like it, but when Jim lambasts something to this extent, I know to pay attention. The last game he showered with such vitriol was Darksiders 3, and it ended up being one of the best games I've played this entire gen.

If Jim loves a game, it often means it's rubbish, and if he really hates a game, there's a very good chance I'll enjoy it. He's actually a pretty useful gauge of quality in this way.

Well, we have to be beholden to ourselves.

I bought Darksiders 3 and found it lacking and archaic so perhaps you'll find Crackdown 3 fresh and exciting.

It's your money and I hope you like it.

Apr 18, 2018
Santa Cruz
Oh god, a Crackdown with a serious plot trying to be Red Dead Redemption is the most horrible idea in history. Of that list if you want compare Crackdown with one, that one is spiderman and only spiderman.
I'm not saying that it needs a serious storyline. I'm saying that these are games pushing the envelope on what open world games are and can be in many different areas.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong. Saints Row 4 fulfilled the crackdown sequel promise infinitely better 6 years ago.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do people think that the game not aiming for a story and aiming for "making your own fun" excuses this game's alleged failings? Breath of the Wild did the same thing and is on hardware that was at least one generation behind, and is one of the greatest games ever made. Crackdown 3 doesn't seem too accomplished at what it sets out to do either.

I couldn't agree more but the reality distortion field on this one is strong.

I had somebody in the review thread tell me that the physics of Crackdown 3 are on par with BOTW and that it has more objects to interact with.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Which basically has the same issues as Crackdown 1 to Crackdown 3.

Gameplay that hasn't really changed since the original and just constantly rehashing everything.

I can only fight the Yellow Turban army so many times.

But at least Dynasty Warriors fans are secure enough to know that all the criticisms are fair and they still have fun with it rather than attacking all the reviewers.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a great time with it, but I loved the original, too.

I don't think this game is trying to be the next TLOU, but people are reviewing it like it is.
That's probably true, which is a damn shame. How anyone can feel the controls are bad is beyond me. It feels tight to play; the controls are precise.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Jim's clickbait is getting old. Tries too hard to find an emotional and extreme position. It's a competent yet unspectacular game. I have my fair share of disappointments but people claiming it's total trash are looking for the clicks. It's not broken, controls well except for vehicles and has a decent loop. It has B tier visuals however there are games this gen with similar level graphics that have been well received.

Worst thing about Crackdown is that it's just "fine" and mediocre. It's not offensively bad as Jim makes it.

If you turn up the difficulty, it adds meaning to the upgrades and collecting and the loop becomes more addicting. Biggest mistake Sumo did was making default difficulty so low because collecting and upgrades are mostly meaningless after 3 hours then.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Which basically has the same issues as Crackdown 1 to Crackdown 3.

Gameplay that hasn't really changed since the original and just constantly rehashing everything.

I can only fight the Yellow Turban army so many times.

But at least Dynasty Warriors fans are secure enough to know that all the criticisms are fair and they still have fun with it rather than attacking all the reviewers.
Dynasty Warriors has actually iterated and improved on its systems and mechanics over the years. Not everything its done has been seen as a success, even by its most die-hard fans, but there's a visible evolution in its gameplay. That extends to the development of the various spin-offs and subseries that took the basic Musou mechanics and spun them in different directions to fit different contexts. (Three-character teams in Warriors Orochi, the subweapon mechanics and giant boss enemies of Hyrule Warriors, and so on.)

Crackdown 3, by all accounts, apparently feels like Crackdown 1 circa 2007, which while not bad in and of itself, doesn't necessarily do it any favors, either.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Bit suprised Jim dislikes its so much since he tends to like this style of game, but his critisims seem fair from what I've played of CD3.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's a game that would've felt dated even as an Xbox One launch title, let alone six years into its life cycle. Sunset Overdrive and Spider-Man did traversal better, GTA V had a better world, and so on.

There's no denying it's fun, and it doesn't overstay its welcome. You can knock out the 'story' and most of the map landmarks in a few days' time. It's popcorn, good for a lazy afternoon when you just want to explode something with a buddy. It's not particularly good popcorn, but it is what it is. Textbook 5 or 6 out of 10.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I played this on PC at max settings and 4K locked at 60. I had a few crashes, but overall, was very pleased with performance.

The game "feels" exactly like the first crackdown. I enjoyed the first one, I enjoyed this one. There are more varied weapons, skills upgrades, the art direction is exactly the same, but the graphics are better.

I already had a running subscription to game pass, and so I can't really take the cost of subscription into consideration because I beat the game this morning.

It's fine. I liked it. I'm already on to something else but I'm certainly not upset that I played, and finished it, over the course of three days.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
After playing the game more, I feel the 60 MC is pretty much spot on. It's definitely fun to a point but the shortcomings definitely stand out in 2019, when there are tons of other open world games that do so much more.

Pros.
  • Collecting Orbs and jumping around the city is still fun.
  • Terry Crews.
  • MP Destruction is pretty cool, even if it's downgraded from the original concept.
  • Decent HDR.
  • Dolby Atmos.
Cons.
  • Gunplay is ok but very basic - Lock on and fire till things die / explode. Starts to feel old after a few hours.
  • AI is terrible.
  • Graphics are just ok - The art style and bright neon colours save it from looking totally terrible.
  • Story is crap - Needs a more in-depth story, with good characters and motivations, especially with Terry Crews involved, wasted opportunity.
  • Repetitive missions.
  • City feels empty with not much else to do compared to other open world games.
  • No in-depth Multiplayer Progression / Leveling and limited game modes.
  • Can't Party up with friends in MP.
The development problems clearly had an impact. It's not a terrible game but with how long it was in development, it feels outdated and all that time didn't really pay off, it just turned out to be an average AA game, not the big budget AAA game that Microsoft originally wanted for it.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
After playing the game more, I feel the 60 MC is pretty much spot on. It's definitely fun to a point but the shortcomings definitely stand out in 2019, when there are tons of other open world games that do so much more.

Pros.
  • Terry Crews.
  • MP Destruction is pretty cool, even if it's downgraded from the original concept.
  • Decent HDR.
  • Dolby Atmos.
Cons.
  • Gunplay is ok but very basic - Lock on and fire till things die / explode. Starts to feel old after a few hours.
  • AI is terrible.
  • Graphics are just ok - The art style and bright neon colours save it from looking totally terrible.
  • Story is crap - Needs a more in-depth story, with good characters and motivations, especially with Terry Crews involved, wasted opportunity.
  • Repetitive missions.
The development problems clearly had an impact. It's not a terrible game but with how long it was in development, it feels outdated and all that time didn't really pay off, it just turned out to be an average AA game, not the big budget AAA game that Microsoft originally wanted for it.

Completely agree with this post. If MS had actually released a functional multiplayer, not a techdemo with MP tacked on, I would rate it a 7/10. But now.. 6/10 or 6.5/10 is what it is.

It's like fastfood. It's good enough if you feel like playing something else during the weekend. But no way I'd pay 60 euros for this.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It's the best average game I've ever played.

What's weird to me is that so many folks are dead-set on deciding whether it's good or bad that they can't just realize it's neither. It's a totally plain, ambitionless open world sandbox with checklist objectives and pretty explosions.

It's so inoffensive, it's kind of incredible. There's really nothing the game does wrong; it just doesn't do a lot right, either. There's clearly a lot of polish, but the game has all the flavor and personality of a piece of colored construction paper.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course. But like I said before, for everything Crackdown 3 doesn't do wrong, it does nothing right, as well.

It's a strange game.

Last edited:

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Can't say I disagree with him. I've tried to start playing CO3 a couple times since Friday and each time I just get this overwhelming sense of "meh". I loved part 1, and finished (but didn't love) part 2, so I was really looking forward to this. However, with how bland the game is, I don't think I'll be playing it outside of co-op.

One decision I really don't agree with is taking away your powers again. I know it's necessary to allow for a sense of progression (otherwise why collect all those orbs), but by the 3rd game in, I just want to be a bad ass from the start, not sit through 10+ hours of grinding.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt I'll pick this up. I've seen enough gameplay at this point to get an idea of what it is and I'm not interested. They could have salvaged something if they had made the city interesting to traverse but it just looks so drab and boring.

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017

It set out to be what made Crackdown 1 so beloved.

People who loved Crackdown, wanted more Crackdown, have been delivered more.....Crackdown.

And has succeeded imo.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm playing it on PC via a 14 day free trial of Game Pass.

If you ignore the fact that they're asking $99 Australian dollars (that's $70 in America bucks) for it and pretend that it's a 15 dollar indie game, it's actually not a bad time-waster.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Jim's clickbait is getting old. Tries too hard to find an emotional and extreme position. It's a competent yet unspectacular game. I have my fair share of disappointments but people claiming it's total trash are looking for the clicks.

You know what's really old?

Labeling an opinion you don't agree with as clickbait.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I find it really odd that so many people are coming out to defend this game. Even if its "fine", the simple fact that this was the result of 5 or 6 years of development is just sad.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm enjoying the game, but yeah. I can't disagree with what he said in that video.

Game feels like it's from 2007. They didn't, as far as I can tell, do anything to really push the series forward. Just took the first crackdown and remade it in new graphics. Which is fine I suppose (looking aside how mediocre the original one was to begin with). There's fun to be had. But for a full priced title you're just left wondering "is that it?!"

If you have gamepass absolutely try it out though. Collect some orbs and blow shit up for a few hours for some brainless fun.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the controls in CD3 are pretty damn amazing with the exception of vehicles. It's a very repetitive game all the same stuff repeated, but the core gameplay is so fun that it's easy to look past. Sort of like Spiderman if you stripped away the story missions and left only the side content. That side content is still fun purely on the strength of the gameplay, but yeah you're doing the same stuff over and over.

Before anyone quotes me, I am in no way suggesting Crackdown is of a similar quality to Spiderman.
I'd actually say Spiderman reminded me of the original Crackdown more than Crackdown 3 reminded me of Spiderman. CD3 does feel more unrefined, but not that much given I played the first one fairly recently.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'd actually say Spiderman reminded me of the original Crackdown more than Crackdown 3 reminded me of Spiderman. CD3 does feel more unrefined, but not that much given I played the first one fairly recently.

Spiderman's open world design was dated as hell, it pretty much only existed to facilitate the web slinging mechanic. So yes similar to Crackdown in a way.

Describing Crackdown as "Spiderman if only had the side content" without the production values either is basically a 4/10 game on paper for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Love how Gamepass has become the inside track in the race to mediocrity. Game sucks? Just play it on Gamepass! It's okay to waste your time with boring tripe as long as it's cheap!

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
This is why people should express their discomfort immediately instead of "waiting and seeing".

MS studios haven't delivered in years and people just sat down waiting for a miracle. No guys, if they want your money you gotta make then earn it.
Yes and people try to praise services and bc and don't look to what is important : games.

Microsoft is lacking in game for the last 10 years. Since Kinect they lost their way...

People need to stop praising Phil too. This guy didn't delivery yet and is only talking.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Pros.
  • Terry Crews.
  • Decent HDR.
  • Dolby Atmos.
Cons.
  • AI is terrible.
  • Repetitive missions.

Unsurprisingly enough, most of your pros and cons match up with the same common points brought up in most reviews.