• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Curious what game y'all immediately think of when you hear those words. I'm going with Shenmue 1.

Yokosuka is just so charming. it's fairly quiet, especially in comparison to the bustling and alien cities of the following games. The pace in the first Shenmue felt incredibly relaxed, you could hit up the arcade, talk to the towns folk, practice your skills or head to the bus stop to wait for the transit to your part time job. It all felt well realized and lived in. That leisurely pace feels pretty foreign when compared to games now but it's more than unique, I think It's specifically enjoyable and rewarding. How many other games do you wake up to an allowance every morning.

Others that spring to mind almost as instantly are Hotel Dusk, Flower Sun and Rain and Kind Words.

shenmue-5.jpg
2.jpg
allowance2.jpg

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Gravity Rush 2. Especially after a certain part of the game.

Pokemon Platinum too.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Earthbound, even though when you really think about it, maybe it isn't.

I think of certain areas and the overall feeling though, I guess.

And my mind goes to these:

which are cozy AF

Rozalyn

Dec 5, 2019
USA
Honestly, my picks would either be Minecraft or Pokemon Heartgold/Soul Silver. I remember when Minecraft was a fresh, new thing and I was young and often in a bad place it's calming environment and tranquil music often let me melt away into its world. And with HG/SS, those were my first foray into Pokemon (or turn-based RPGs in general), I fell in love with their tight-knit towns, welcoming atmosphere and music I won't soon forget.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Tearaway.

I think it's a mediocre game, but its atmosphere (visuals and music, too) are great. Very relaxing game.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Probably weird pick, but the first game that came into my mind was Retro Game Challenge / Game Center CX. The entire game takes place during the 80s / 90s in a room of a Japanese house, with two kids playing videogames; what could feel more cozy than that, for people in this forum? :)

Oct 28, 2017
Same as your choice OP. Love the small town feel ever since I first played it in 2001.

My other pic would be Luigi's mansion And RE remake on GameCube. Love how they both take place at night during a cozy thunderstorm.

luigis-mansion-gamecube-screen-5.jpg

618x0

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the thread title and thinking split-second what the first thing that comes to mind is?

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Rito Village in particular, but also the towns and more peaceful sections of the game just in general. Not sure if everyone else is using the same definition of cozy I am, but defining it as being the feeling you get wrapping a warm, fuzzy blanket around you next to a flickering fireplace I feel like it's practically radiated from the game and Rito Village in particular seems to have been designed down to the aesthetic with that exact feeling in mind.

There's a reason why I feel like it's artistic direction is up there with it's systems design as one of Breath of the Wild's absolute biggest strong suits.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The very first game that I think about is Resident Evil 4.

Of course I'm talking about the typewriter rooms and especially the one in the cabin during the rain, did not want to leave at all.

If one day they put an enemy into one of those rooms, the person who decided that should be fired! /s

Weeaboosuke

Oct 27, 2017
Twilight Town, especially during the intro to KH2. Hopping on a skateboard while running errands for money, dueling your rivals with nerf bats, and eating ice cream on a giant clocktower with the perpetual sunset in the distance just seemed like the ultimate summer vacation.

1461eb880bb06770a3d15411d919e9e234e52582_hq.gif

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
A Short Hike, probably cause I played it most recently. Great little game, cozy is the perfect descriptor.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim for me. The mountains, the warm villages, the soundtrack. Especially during the fall/winter, it's just a really cozy game to revisit for the atmosphere of it.

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
Any Pokémon starter town basically, and my personal favourite: Vale - Golden Sun's starting town...

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
My other pic would be Luigi's mansion And RE remake on GameCube. Love how they both take place at night during a cozy thunderstorm.

618x0
Did not think I'd ever see cozy used to describe the Spencer mansion lol, outside of the save rooms ofc

First game/place that came to mind for me was Grizzly Hills in World of Warcraft

.. but it probably should've been this. Coziest for sure.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
<---

Moss.

Because it's calming to the mind due to your mind being encapsulated in a miniature world which is often peaceful.
moss-2.jpg