• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
My GF brought covid home while we still had a roommate.

He probably was exposed to us for two days before we knew we were positive.

We masked up to leave our room (briefly, for bathroom and food runs), and stayed in our room for 5 days straight.

He never got sick.

And all three of us were triple vaccinated.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
The chances of you getting COVID are super low. I wouldn't worry at all. See your girlfriend.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Are you or your gf around anyone who you really wouldn't want to give covid to? Like kids, people with weak immune systems, or the elderly?

You're obviously aware of the possible risks to you and your gf, and you can decide that for yourselves. But you probably also want to consider the risk you may be posing to those around you.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
is she isolating herself from the roommate?

i don't think there's much chance of transmission just from surface touches (has that ever been conclusive either way?)

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
With relaxing restrictions and all that, I feel like you're as likely to get it any time you step out to fill up your gas tank or head to the grocery store as you would be from seeing your vaxxed gf.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
It's really up to how you feel on it and your unique circumstances. There is a good chance she won't get it if she and the roommate are careful. On the other hand if you or anyone around you are high risk it might not be worth it to risk when you could just wait 2 weeks to see each other. There can definitely be false negative rapid tests. Instead of the in home one getting a pcr would be better but they are more invasive.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Nah, surely you can wait two weeks?
Also, lateral flows aren't 100% reliable (around 60% I believe) so she could still have it.

Oct 28, 2017
getting covid sucks balls, it is up to you OP if you think it is worth it.

i mean, can your GF or family/friends take care of you if you get it and you turn out to be one of those unlucky people that feel at death's door with the sickness?

seriously if the pain and symptoms arent too hard on you still being isolated for 2-3 weeks sucks so much.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
1. COVID is not the flu. COVID really sucks even for fully vaxxed people
2. Long COVID is a real possibility even for fully vaxxed people. I know from several people in my 'circle'. People who have zero concern for this are nuts IMO.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I recently did this as the person who was in contact with COVID individuals.

How we handled it: Rapid test a couple of days before coming. Another rapid test when I arrived. We both wore N95's around each other the whole time except for when eating (I mostly ate outside on the deck). Then a rapid test nearly a week after having last seen her.

It all turned out well, but it was certainly a risk. I don't regret it, but we're both vaxed and boosted. Still, I acknowledge it was kind of dumb.

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere between 10-30% of people who get COVID end up with a chronic illness as a result. Being vaccinated doesn't protect you from that.

Immunocompromised people can still die from COVID. Being vaccinated doesn't stop you from transmitting it, even if you don't get sick yourself.

Kids under 5 still can't be vaccinated.

You might not know anyone at risk, but it's extremely easy to pass things on to someone who does.

As someone with multiple immunocompromised family members, my vote is to not put yourself in situations where you know there's a decent chance you'll catch it. Rapid testing is better than nothing, but not by much.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
If you have to ask the question, you already know the answer. Don't look for other people to absolve your behavior.

Aya

1. COVID is not the flu. COVID really sucks even for fully vaxxed people
2. Long COVID is a real possibility even for fully vaxxed people. I know from several people in my 'circle'. People who have zero concern for this are nuts IMO.

I'll signal boost this. Can't believe I had to scroll that long to find this comment. One can get a pretty shitty covid regardless of being fully vaxxed.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The option that protects the most people and provides no harm to anyone involved would be the prudent course of action. You don't need to roll the dice, you get to just take them off the table

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I think her visiting you isn't the most insane idea all things considered, especially if she self-isolates and tests beforehand. but also you can never be too cautious.
it sounds like you don't have to leave the house much and aren't a risk to spread it further, so if you're okay with the risk to yourself, go for it. but i would understand the hesitation and would probably want to wait as well, depending on context of relationship

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
If you and her are both comfortable with the risks I don't see a problem with it.

Trust

Jun 10, 2018
If you're an immunocompromised person then take the necessary precautions to protect yourself.

Otherwise go for it. We're never going to have zero covid.