BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What ended your marriage, Divorced Era?

https://apple.news/At1E34ErqRG-vC6ehUQVAyw
The Fight About Lunch

"Money had always been a hot-button issue between my ex and I. She stayed at home with the kids while I worked. What I could not seem to understand was how such a predictable schedule could be so unpredictably expensive. From my midtown office, I could feel our credit card getting heavier with every passing day. We fought about it a lot. It seems so immature in hindsight, but it was the tug finally unraveling a seven-year marriage.

'How can a lunch for one be that expensive?' I asked one day. It was not just for her, she also paid for a friend, she said. 'Who was it?' I asked. 'A friend, does it matter?' That is when I lost it. The conversation quickly disintegrated into accusations and threats, which abruptly ended with us bringing up divorce. She then grabbed her keys, purse and headed out the driveway. The next four months would be a whirlwind of attorney visits, legal briefs, court dates and a few failed attempts to reconcile.

If you're wondering, I finally learned the identity of the 'friend.' Sometime later, my kids were talking about mom's boyfriend's birthday dinner. I asked where they ate. 'His favorite restaurant of all time,' they said. I discovered the truth there: I had an old credit card receipt to prove it." ―Kyle B.

Oct 30, 2017
"During what seemed like a picture-perfect evening, my husband and our two young children sat around the dinner table to share a meal. The kids were enjoying having their daddy home and I was enjoying watching all of them together. Our daughter wanted down, and like most toddlers, she squirmed and twisted until she was able to free herself. Her chair and her plate of food plopped down right along with her. My husband instantly stood up and yelled at our two-year-old, followed by a swift swat. She burst into tears. At first, I was stunned, unable to move. There was a glimmer of a moment when it first happened that I thought he was going to console her and tell her that it was going to be OK. He didn't. It wasn't long before the old familiar knot tightened in the pit of my stomach.

If I was honest with myself, I really wasn't surprised by his reaction. From day one, we had very different ideas about how we would discipline our children. As I was comforting our daughter, I could hear him say, 'Spare the rod, spoil the child.' It wasn't the first time he had yelled at the kids, and I at him for doing so. But that night, that fight, was the last time I saw him as the man that I would spend the rest of my life with."

Not divorced, happily married going on 4 years. But I will say that for the first 3 or 4 years of our relationship (together 8), I had a bad explosive anger issue. Inherited by my dad, worsened by familial and academic stress, I would get pissed at anything, no matter how minor. And the real issue was that I would withdraw, isolate, and become despondent and refuse to talk with my wife. I couldn't accept that my responses to things were unhealthy and inappropriate. It took a couple of real genuine fights to make me see reason.

My dad was fired from his job for his anger outbursts. I dealt with being poor from 8 years old onward. I knew that if I didn't correct my behaviors, I'd end up like my dad. I'd ruin the life my wife and I had built. Regardless of divorce, there is always a moment in relationships that presents a fork in the road and you either accept change or remain stubborn and risk the continued hurt of a marriage.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
My parents divorced about 15 years after they should have. My dad was an physically/emotionally abusive alcoholic cheater. My mom stayed because they were together since she was 16, and she always felt like it was her fault that he was like that. She also was cheating when my dad was in the Gulf War, and she was doing drugs. I had great role models as to how not to be as a grown up and how not to treat your kids.

She finally filed for divorce after 24 years. Both of them are completely different people now. They are also a lot older lol. If you me them today, you couldn't believe who they were before.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
the blended family one needed more info....his then current wife hated his oldest daughter?

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
the blended family one needed more info....his then current wife hated his oldest daughter?

Seemed like the oldest was from a different relationship so the wife disliked the daughter. I can see that. My dad's family always treated my older sister like shit because she had a different dad than me and my brothers.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
How coincidental, my boss and his wife were getting into yelling matches this morning. Apparently she overheard something he was boasting about to a customer and she's currently diving through his facebook finding out all kinds of things.

I really need a new job.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I'm kind of glad most of these seem like genuinely awful events. One of my fears is that a mundane argument with my wife spirals out of control, and before either one of us know what's happening something irrevocable has damaged our relationship. We're both pretty giving (and forgiving) so our communication is good, but you never know. The story about paying for lunch begins in a way that's very familiar, but by the end it's like Oh, she's cheating on you, so of course you got divorced.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Intresting article, I always have that in the back of my mind. What if a fight about doing the dishes with my wife exploded into something much more.

For the record, I would divorce this lady too. She sounds awful:

The Fight About Paris
"The Louvre was closed; somehow, that became my fault. I was supposed to look up the hours and had gotten them wrong. My husband and I were in Paris for a long weekend and since he had never been there, he had a list of sights he had to see. Each day felt like a scavenger hunt designed to collect points for some mysterious game I didn't want to be playing. By the end of the first day, I had blisters on my feet. I wanted to relax in a cafe, sip espresso and people-watch all day. But my husband didn't drink coffee. And once it was clear he was going to miss the Louvre, he became more inflexible about his list.

I followed him from one neighborhood to another, trying to ignore the realization that, after 10 years of marriage, we no longer enjoyed the same things. It was less of an argument, just a sense that there was no 'us.' And when you're in a foreign country, not to mention the most romantic city in the world, that's a very lonely feeling." ― Tammy Letherer, author of The Buddha at My Table
[\quote]

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
The daughter from a different relationship situation is messed up. Just that story was damn...

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most marriages are over before they even started. This was an interesting read, thanks OP!

des0lar

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Intresting article, I always have that in the back of my mind. What if a fight about doing the dishes with my wife exploded into something much more.

For the record, I would divorce this lady too. She sounds awful:
You mean husband? Because she is the one writing this piece.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My marriage of 10 years ended with a combination of my ex's mental problems, self medication, child endagerment, and inability to keep her legs closed to other men.

I was faithful throughout, supported every venture she tried, tried to "fix" our marriage for 3 years for my kids at the end, then finally bailed out and took full custody of both of my daughters.

Things are 2835367372827282626 times better now than when I was in that relationship.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The fight that ended it for me at least was refusing to participate in marriage counseling. The guy we met with was right, I was dealing with a child, someone that needed to grow up. She lied, went about cheating, and in the end tried flipping shit to say it was my fault. I tried everything to hold the family together, but she wouldn't engage.

Now she sees that life isn't as easy, but manages. She tries being friendly to me, but I want nothing to do with her. She gets annoyed at me for not engaging in conversations with her, taking forever to reply to her messages, how I ignore her during events with our kids. I have nothing left invested in that woman and refuse to be bothered with her as my life and mind is at peace without her.

May 17, 2018
I get married next month, so I'm reading between all the lines here. Learn to communicate seems to be the underlying lesson but HOW to do that is the real issue. Communication and finances. Don't Lie.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No I mean her, really. You get to go to France and all you want to do is go to an espresso cafe and sip coffee all day? There's a whole world to explore and see.
Yea sorry but holidays are for relaxing and having fun. No one should be forced to do anything just because they are abroad.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was an incident that signaled the abrupt end of our marriage. My brother was dating a girl who I was also friends with. They broke up, and right after that she told me she had something to get off of her chest- my then-wife had made a drunk confession to her. Not quite three years before that, while I was home with our newborn baby daughter and a two year old son, my ex got out of work and went to a house party with some co-workers, her and her best friend who worked together. They both ended up drunk, and high, and fucked two of their coworkers. She got pregnant, went to this dude, and had him pay for an abortion, since she didn't know who the baby's father was for sure.

I found this out as I was on my way home from work (I got off around 3 pm, and she worked until 6 pm). So I went to my ex-wife's job immediately, pretending like I was bringing her a romantic surprise, had her meet me outside, confronted her with the truth, and told her that I'd be divorcing her.

We had plenty of other problems, but this one did me in. Our daughter was about 8 weeks old at the time. It was unforgivable.

The Fight About The Blended Family
"My wife and I were lying in bed, ready to sleep, when I told her I was going to say goodnight to 'my girls.' We were a blended family and my three daughters were all sleeping that night in the same room. When I returned, my wife asked me if I also said goodnight to my oldest daughter, which I responded, 'Of course I did.' She screamed at me, 'If you said goodnight to the oldest, then I am done with you.' She stormed out of the room to go sleep in another room on the first floor. I knew I couldn't allow her bad treatment of my oldest daughter, and her treatment of me regarding it, to continue. I knew this last episode was the final straw in many years of unacceptable behavior." ― Matt Sweetwood, author of Leader of the Pack

That's fucking atrocious. I have a blended family. I can say this with experience- it doesn't work when you treat some kids differently than others. I'd have left her too.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
That was a depressing read.

Marriage is really about both partners working towards what's best for the relationship and the family. When one person decides to do something the other person disagrees with, then doubles down with an "I'm gonna do this and fuck you if you don't like it" mentality, that needs to be stopped quickly or else it'll eventually torpedo the relationship.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea sorry but holidays are for relaxing and having fun. No one should be forced to do anything just because they are abroad.
It's just so terrible to be "forced" to go to the Louvre. She sounds like a fuddy dud and this is only her side of the story, who knows how much her husband actually pressed to go to one million places. Even still, why fly halfway across the world just to drink coffee, you can do that in your own neighborhood. To observe how French people drink coffee?

If my wife told me that she wanted to spend the day drinking espresso in a cafe all day after I just paid 2 grand to fly to France, there would be a problem in my relationship as well.

Oct 25, 2017
what is up with that blended family one? Am I missing something there?

No I mean her, really. You get to go to France and all you want to do is go to an espresso cafe and sip coffee all day? There's a whole world to explore and see.

I mean, you can do both. I'm a walker on vacation. I like to walk everywhere on the street and see everything. I know not everyone I've traveled with has been into that, so the nice thing to do is accommodate them.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean neither is wrong, it's like she said, they no longer we're compatible. Some people like to just see where the wind takes them, some want to plan out and execute their vacation.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

I have a friend like you. He can be exhausting to travel with.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I mean, she says they walked so much on their first day in Paris that she had blisters on her feet and that's why she wanted to sit in a cafe all day and people watch. I know I am not much up for several days of hardcore sight-seeing when I have blisters.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
wow. imagine the feeling when you realize you are paying for your wife's date. what a loser. if you are banging someone's wife, at least have the decency to pay for your own lunch.

Playing devil's advocate, he might not have known she was married at the time. She could have taken her ring off and told the guy that they're divorcing or something.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
The more I look back at my first marriage, the more I realize how toxic it was from the very beginning. Yes, there was a single defining moment where I knew I needed to leave, but the seeds of emotional abuse and manipulation were there from the start.
It's typically hard for a man to accept that he's the victim of domestic abuse, and I was no different. Even when it became physical abuse, I tried to make excuses. I blamed myself.

But as for the argument that ended it. She convinced me I needed to go to therapy because she told me that all of the problems in our marriage were my fault. I asked her to come along to my first session to support me. She agreed on the condition that she would not go into the room with me and would not speak to the therapist.
After my session ended, I went to the waiting room and she was nowhere to be found. I eventually found her outside the building, smoking and crying (as far as I knew at the time and over the course of 5 years of marriage, she didnt smoke.) She proceeded to scream at me that I was a liar. That i broke my promise.
I had no idea what she meant. Turns out, the front desk clerk called her name to let her know I was wrapping up. She assumed she was being brought into the session and flipped out.
The entire ride home (over an hour) she screamed at me. Told me I was a worthless liar and that I should just kill myself.
I filed for divorce the next day... on our 5th anniversary.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
She screamed at me, 'If you said goodnight to the oldest, then I am done with you.'

I would like to think there'd be some warning signs about such an unreasonable person ahead of time. I'm curious how many of these marriages probably shouldn't have happened to begin with.

Oct 25, 2017
It's just so terrible to be "forced" to go to the Louvre. She sounds like a fuddy dud and this is only her side of the story, who knows how much her husband actually pressed to go to one million places. Even still, why fly halfway across the world just to drink coffee, you can do that in your own neighborhood. To observe how French people drink coffee?

If my wife told me that she wanted to spend the day drinking espresso in a cafe all day after I just paid 2 grand to fly to France, there would be a problem in my relationship as well.
No one wants to keep walking when they have blisters on their feet after one day.

Not to mention her feet would've hurt even more the next day.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was an incident that signaled the abrupt end of our marriage. My brother was dating a girl who I was also friends with. They broke up, and right after that she told me she had something to get off of her chest- my then-wife had made a drunk confession to her. Not quite three years before that, while I was home with our newborn baby daughter and a two year old son, my ex got out of work and went to a house party with some co-workers, her and her best friend who worked together. They both ended up drunk, and high, and fucked two of their coworkers. She got pregnant, went to this dude, and had him pay for an abortion, since she didn't know who the baby's father was for sure.

I found this out as I was on my way home from work (I got off around 3 pm, and she worked until 6 pm). So I went to my ex-wife's job immediately, pretending like I was bringing her a romantic surprise, had her meet me outside, confronted her with the truth, and told her that I'd be divorcing her.

We had plenty of other problems, but this one did me in. Our daughter was about 8 weeks old at the time. It was unforgivable.
I'm fuming just reading your post. Very sorry to hear that.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would like to think there'd be some warning signs about such an unreasonable person ahead of time. I'm curious how many of these marriages probably shouldn't have happened to begin with.

Yea. I mean if you already have a kid then there should be a pretty significant vetting process for the new SO you're bringing around the kid. And I'm sure some folks fake it for a time until they're comfortable to let the "real" them out. But I can't imaging not having a blunt conversation about it before hand: This is my child. I'm never going to treat them as "less than the children we have together. If you disagree or don't like that or aren't 100% on board with that concept don't waste my time. Just let me know now because I'm not going to tolerate passive agressive treatment from ANYONE towards my kid. Point blank."

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
I am around thirty days out of a nine year relationship. It was the evening before our anniversary, and we were playing board games / card games for the night. On our second round of Monopoly Deal, she was winning by an absurd margin. I let her know that I did not want to play the game anymore. She got frustrated as she said that the fun in the game was playing through until the end even though it was over already. I disagreed as I was not enjoying it and would rather deal out a new hand. She broke up with me right then as she claimed I was not what she wanted out of life or for the future.

I later found out that she was planning it since October as she had already looked at and applied to housing, but decided to buy a home with the help of her parents. She comes from a wealthier family, while I don't really have a safety net to speak of and had to even borrow a couple hundred from her to help pay for a car I bought my Mom. It is weird as she is going into home ownership with over 30k from her parents and I am struggling to find an apartment.

It seems like all the ending fights are not the real issue at least that is what I got out of mine. There is just a tipping point where the person sees their chance to say what they have already decided.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Im divorced but didn't have one argument or anything lead to it. We never really had a spark and that bugged both of us a lot. Both of us seeing we could possibly have that spark with others kind of made us see the light.

On my side of things I did feel pretty down about things when we got a puppy and my wife just couldn't handle the stress and work of it for a week. We took it back, and it kinda destroyed me. She always had this illusion that she could be a stay at home mom and I kind of didn't believe it some days but after that fell through it was really hard to believe she could. Not just her but us. We weren't a good combination.

But now I'm happily married again and have a baby on the way with an absolutely amazing woman.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

My mom had 4 kids, 3 of us are 25 or older with different dads, 1 with my stepdad(the youngest, under 10)

She passed away a few years ago and my stepdad has since remarried.

His new wife fucking hates the 3 of us older kids for various reasons and has basically poisoned our stepdad against us

Oct 27, 2017
I'd really like to see the counter statement from the other party in these marriages. Some of them just sound so artificially victimized, like the phone one. Is it controlling to take your phone because you feel neglected? Sure. But why is that already an issue?

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're missing key points;

"The Louvre was closed; somehow, that became my fault. I was supposed to look up the hours and had gotten them wrong. My husband and I were in Paris for a long weekend and since he had never been there, he had a list of sights he had to see. Each day felt like a scavenger hunt designed to collect points for some mysterious game I didn't want to be playing. By the end of the first day, I had blisters on my feet. I wanted to relax in a cafe, sip espresso and people-watch all day. But my husband didn't drink coffee. And once it was clear he was going to miss the Louvre, he became more inflexible about his list.

I followed him from one neighborhood to another, trying to ignore the realization that, after 10 years of marriage, we no longer enjoyed the same things. It was less of an argument, just a sense that there was no 'us.' And when you're in a foreign country, not to mention the most romantic city in the world, that's a very lonely feeling."

It wasn't just a spur of the moment, it was clearly something that had been building up for a while with Paris being the breaking point.

Just get a prenup. Cause I'm not giving no one half my shit. No one on Earth deserves that much of me for any period of time after me.

With that kind of attitude you're not getting married at all. Also pre-nup are worth jack shit in the UK and can be ignored by judges in the US.

Oct 30, 2017
I went to London for 2 weeks last year. We walked miles everyday, seeing everything and I can barely recall details of most of it. But the moments I do remember vividly are the ones where we just sat on a bench in St. James Park or on the steps facing Buckingham Palace. We made it a point to go to a local tea shop for afternoon tea as many days as we could. Those were the moments where I truly loved London.

When you go on a vacation or go abroad with the expectation of seeing as much as you can, you're not going to have fun. You force yourself into a chore of meeting your itinerary and rarely do you have the chance to stop and look around.