• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you cosign a loan for a family member?

• Yay

Votes: 48 6.3%
  • Nay

Votes: 720 93.8%

• Total voters

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Would you do it? If so, where would you cross the line? A piece of furniture, a small loan, a renter lease, a car, student loans? How about a mortgage for a house you won't live in (not renting out the property)?

I recall a thread back at the old place where cosigning came up and it seemed like it was mostly members that live in the US that were against the idea considering the financial burden it can put on you if the person you're helping defaults, and with credit scores being a big deal here that can destroy your ability to be approved for things yourself.

Here's my situation. My wife just told me that she offered to cosign a mortgage to help her mom, and I expressed that I am absolutely against it.

For a quick bit of history, my mother in law has screwed over my wife's credit in the past (prior to us getting married) by not being able to afford a cosigned loan and hiding the fact that she couldn't afford it until my wife checked her credit and confronted her. Thankfully she has been able to build it back up over the years. Right now, her mom and her new husband are looking for a house, and when going to a loan officer today she found out that he hid the fact that he never removed himself from his previous mortgage with his ex-wife after the divorce, and since the mortgage payments are a few months late, his credit has plummeted and they are now not able to reap the benefits of what she assumed was pretty good credit. There's more that I won't get into, but there's so many red flags, and we're talking about $100k+ loans.

Am I overreacting? If so, please tell me why. If not, tell me everything that can go wrong assuming I don't already know. For the record, if she were to default on the mortgage payments, my wife would not be able to afford it on her own, and while I make good money, even together we wouldn't be able to afford a second mortgage on top of student loans and plans to have a kid. I trust my wife, and can only hope that she doesn't feel compelled to do this behind my back.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's one sibling I wouldn't, but others in immediate family I probably would.

Not like my credit can get any worse anyways. In your example, no.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A mortgage!? Fuuuuuck no. Unless you have so much money you could permanently make those payments, the answer is no. Because that is literally what you are potentially signing up for.

Oct 28, 2017
source0sjrn.gif

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
My parents co-signed for our first car to help with the credit check, I will likely do the same for my daughters when the time comes... but yeah, never any other family members and especially not siblings/in-laws.

In your situation OP, definitely no, way too big of a financial risk especially given previous history.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
Only if you're in a position (and willing) to take the loan on yourself. As with all money issues with friends and family, you need to be ready to write the loan off as a gift or be ready to write them out of your life.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
In your situation? Fuck no. If it's someone with good credit trying to get something that requires even better credit then maybe. But bad credit? Fuck no.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Sure, why not? If I trust the person and can handle possibly taking ownership of the loan, seems like a good thing to do for a family member who may not have the best credit. I'm speaking in general terms.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
My dad co-signed my first car purchase when I was basically a kid and had no credit yet. I would do the same for my responsible kids.

But a mortgage? For someone with a history of bad credit? For anyone really? Fuck no.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Since you have no control over it and cant oversee the items being loaned out then no dont sign shit.

My situation is different I recently cosigned on a car for my mother but my mother lives with me. I have full access to the car and if something should happen to her I can easily sell my car which is much older and take over hers. The house we live in is in me and my sisters name. I own the land so if shit went down I could tell my sister to get off my land.

Basically if you cosign make sure you have as much control and oversight as possible.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would but because my parents have given me so much, way more than I could repay. Also declining would be a worse impact on our relationship than my wallet could be.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If they fucked you over before you're a sucker to put yourself in position to be fucked over again.

In that situation any spouse needs to decide who they married to. Their spouse or momma/daddy...

So you supposed to come through in the clutch cause momma in law married a liar? Nah fam.

OP
OP
mhayes86

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
With all of that context, how is this even a question?

I KNOW. My wife spent years recovering her credit due to her mom. After that ordeal with me helping her out and consoling her that she'll build it back up, I don't understand why she would even consider it! The incident cemented my opposition to even consider cosigning.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
You plan to have a kid? Think of it this way. Would you ever gamble that money away when it could go to your kid instead? That's what you risk losing.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I say yay in general, but yeah if you have reason to not trust her then obviously that's a no.

Oct 26, 2017
Within my immediate family who all have a good history of paying their stuff off on time. Yes.

Anyone else? Nope.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If it was my mother, or grandmother/father - sure. They've done a lot for me. But "has screwed over my wife's credit in the past " quickly turns that into a "fuck no".

Hello.

Jan 20, 2020
I would probably for my mother, and that's only because I know she has a good history of being faithful about returning favors or fulfilling her responsibilities. But that's many years in the making. The rest of my family is a deadset no. Generally, I advise against that.