• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wuhan Corona Virus real time data

I was wondering, out of 6057 confirmed cases we're currently at 132 deaths, which would amount to a 2% death rate, which is bad of course yet still doesn't sound that huge... but the report includes also 110 recovered people, meaning that the remaining 5815 patients are still under treatment with unknown prognosis, thus it sounds more like a 55% death rate so far which is downright frightening

That is... not how extrapolation works

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Why am I not surprised that there are people who won't want to gat the vaccine if one gets made? 🤦‍♂️
Crazy antivaxxers aside, Idk if I'd want to take an experimental new vaccine rushed to the world stage without proper clinical testing either.

Wuhan Corona Virus real time data

I was wondering, out of 6057 confirmed cases we're currently at 132 deaths, which would amount to a 2% death rate, which is bad of course yet still doesn't sound that huge... but the report includes also 110 recovered people, meaning that the remaining 5815 patients are still under treatment with unknown prognosis, thus it sounds more like a 55% death rate so far which is downright frightening

Thanks for the involuntary facepalm

Oct 27, 2017
Chris offers guidance on wealth preservation, precious metal purchasing & storage strategies, and resiliency-building for individuals looking to protect the purchasing power of their assets and/or move without fear into the post-Peak-Oil future. He can offer guidance on personal transition, location, preparedness, community, and energy and infrastructure in the home.

But since I'm not gonna watch a 40 minute video to prove my hunch, I will admit that yeah, it's not technically impossible that a financial adviser who sell books predicting doom and also sell robot insurance services to protect you and your wealth from said doom could also somehow have valuable insight about the 2019-nCoV outbreak in China.

I don't think it's terribly likely though.

Can I ask you an honest question?
Did you get that from the youtube algorithm or was it posted somewhere? I'm really (and earnestly, I swear) curious about how those videos propagate.

It was posted here earlier. I watched the first 3. I had never seen or heard him before.

I mean, it's mostly a science lesson and a roundup of information. So I feel like the people screaming fake because he changed jobs after getting a degree in neuro toxicology at Duke are showing their ass a bit.

People can be experts in a field or knowledgeable while still doing things or reaching certain conclusions you might not agree with. You dont have to watch the vid....I'm just confused. It's like leaving a science lesson where everything clicked and then you get told "nah that teacher doesnt brush his teeth, so no point listening to him."

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
so could you kindly explain me the missteps in my reasoning?
I think this one should be self-evident, but here goes: When extracting statistical data that applies to a whole population (ie: people sick with coronavirus), you can't take an arbitrary parameter, disqualify 90% of the data, then extrapolate a result based on the data left over and then retroactively apply it to the disqualified population. That's not how any of this works.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
so could you kindly explain me the missteps in my reasoning?

Not sure i quite understand the math here but as far as i see it, if your total number is 6057 people infected, and of that sample size 5085 people are not yet out of treatment, then there is simply no way to come up with ANY kind of conclusion at ALL at this moment? Not until the treatment of those 5085 people is over anyway to be able to make a statement about the outcome.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone post someone who critiques the actual content of one if his Corona videos? Because someone selling prepper stuff does not negate any of the stuff he said in those initial videos. He has a ton of education in the field and presented it well. But then I see hes a nut, but they dont really draw that to anything hes saying about this news. I usually have a decent BS detector, and it wasnt really going off much at all on the 3 I watched. But I'm not an expert.

I'd love a video breakdown of what he is wrong about or overstating on purpose.

Did the person who tweeted that point out what unverified claim he made?

The guy is a borderline New World Order / FED Controls the world / BUY GOLD dipshit. His videos are based on the assumption that we're all about to die and we need to listen to Ron Paul for investment and economic advice.

Because of this, his videos have an obvious bias and he uses some data to draw his own conclusions not based on the evidence, but based on his world view.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
The guy is a borderline New World Order / FED Controls the world / BUY GOLD dipshit. His videos are based on the assumption that we're all about to die and we need to listen to Ron Paul for investment and economic advice.

Because of this, his videos have an obvious bias and he uses some data to draw his own conclusions not based on the evidence, but based on his world view.
He is also making sweeping generalization even though he has the same amount of information as the rest of us, which is not a lot.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

We just had 3 new cases announced BTW. Pretty sure that makes us the foreign country with the highest density of NCOV cases concentrated in an area? :/
It's not really a huge cause for alarm until there are confirmed cases of domestic transmittance. There are 10 confirmed cases of Chinese tourists from the affected region in China with the virus and they have all been contained so far. It'll be more worrying when there is a case of infection in the wild. Fingers crossed though. Taiwan only just got their first confirmed case of it being transmitted domestically.

Fugo

Nov 16, 2017
I think this one should be self-evident, but here goes: When extracting statistical data that applies to a whole population (ie: people sick with coronavirus), you can't take an arbitrary parameter, disqualify 90% of the data, then extrapolate a result based on the data left over and then retroactively apply it to the disqualified population. That's not how any of this works.

well I didn't ever claim to be an expert in statistics, I just did some quick maths, and I didn't put my conclusion in an assertive way, thus it's not that self-evident to someone like me who isn't familiar with this kind of stuff.
I raise you a question, then: if we can't assume anything about people still in treatment, is there a way to project a death rate? Is it still to early or sample size too low? Thank you.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
well I didn't ever claim to be an expert in statistics, I just did some quick maths, and I didn't put my conclusion in an assertive way, thus it's not that self-evident to someone like me who isn't familiar with this kind of stuff.
I raise you a question, then: if we can't assume anything about people still in treatment, is there a way to project a death rate? Is it still to early or sample size too low? Thank you.
Sample size is too low. 55% is bubonic plague territory in the Middle Ages before medicine was a thing.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
To give you the answer you need: the recovered number doesn't mean what you think it means. It's purely based off some hospitalization recovered like people that got severe complications and then recovered. While it does seem super scary there have been tons of people that didn't require hospitalization that "recovered" but are not included in those counts. Does that make sense?

Fugo

Nov 16, 2017
Sample size is too low.
To give you the answer you need: the recovered number doesn't mean what you think it means. It's purely based off some hospitalization recovered like people that got severe complications and then recovered. While it does seem super scary there have been tons of people that didn't require hospitalization that "recovered" but are not included in those counts. Does that make sense?

thank you!

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In infection cases, the first people to die generally have very strong copatologies, as we're facing right now with most people dying being either very old with a slew of secondary issues or having HIV.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, any of those sweeping generalizations in the podcast or first two updates? I repeated a lot of his information from the podcast posted here and the first two updates and want to know which parts were false.
The fact that he says it is worse than what we are told while having zero data on it. The fact that he is playing up that the world health organization, who are full of experts who have more information than he does, is mistaken for not calling this a pandemic or downplaying the risk. The fact that his most recent video is about the stock market and how this will destroy it. The problem isn't so much the data he talks about as much as the way he is interpreting the data we have.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I think it's about time I put this thread on ignore. The amount of fake news, faulty logic, fearmongering and lowkey racism/xenophobia is getting ridiculous in here, for a disease that is still mostly localized within the borders of its country, and has very few international cases, and virtually no deaths.

Maybe I'll undo the ignore if/when this pandemic stops being speculation and starts being reality.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
10 people got into a car accident and 1 person die on scene while 9 has to stay in hospital due to broken leg/arm. So you have 1 death and 0 recovered (it takes a month or 2 for your bone to heal), does it mean the death rate of the accident is 100%?

Last edited:

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To the folks who responded to me the other night, I'm happily avoiding working on things I really need to do by crafting some stuff to make that topic on suggested readings if you want to better educate yourselves on epidemics/pandemics, epidemiology, and such.

For those who didn't catch it, I did a bunch of research on this stuff for a thesis, albeit not one in the actual field. It was focused more on how disease is portrayed in pop culture and influences us from there, with a heavy emphasis on the xenophobic tendencies it breeds.

How does this sound? Right now I have 16 recommended readings - all ones I myself have vetted - broken down into 4 major categories.

1st is required reading, a few books that combine to give you a quick look into one pandemic, one that details how epidemiology got started while serving as a case study, and the third taking a broad approach that outlines a whole lot of our modern landscape.

2nd is readings that go further into the current moment and how operations like the CDC work. One was written by a leader of the CDC, describing how epidemiology is done, while the other looks into and explains zoonoses (animal-derived disease) such as this one.

The 3rd category then comprises 6 books that act as case studies, one each for the following - yellow fever, ebola, bubonic plague, rabies, malaria, and AIDS.

The 4th and final category is deep dives, more academic works that analyze cultural reactions, a big history look into plague, and the metaphors presented by tuberculosis, cancer, and AIDS.

The current reading list is this, by category -

Required Reading
Zika: The Emerging Epidemic - Donal G. McNeil, Jr.
The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic - Steven Johnson
Pandemic: Tracking Contagions, from Cholera to Ebola and Beyond - Sonia Shah

Intermediate
The Next Pandemic: On the Front Lines Against Humankind's Gravest Dangers - Ali Khan
Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic - David Quammen

Case Studies
The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death - John Kelly
Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Diabolic Virus - Bill Wasik and Monica Murphy
The American Plague: The Untold Story of Yellow Fever - Molly Caldwell Crosby
The Fever - Sonia Shah
Ebola: The Natural and Human History of a Deadly Virus - David Quammen
And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic - Randy Shilts

Deep Dives
On Immunity: An Inoculation - Eula Biss
How to Survive a Plague: The Story of How Activists and Scientists Tamed AIDS - David France
Bioinsecurities: Disease Interventions, Empire, and the Government of Species - Neel Ahuja
Plagues and Peoples - William H. McNeill
Illness as a Metaphor and AIDS and Its Metaphors - Susan Sontag

Thank you for this. The Pandemic book by Sonia Shah looks like an interesting read.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5037d13c9299b651c921ab665a871efb.gif

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
10 people got into a car accident and 1 person die on scene while 9 has to stay in hospital due to broken leg/arm. So you have 1 death and 0 recovered (it takes a month or 2 for your bone to heal), does it mean the death rate of the accident is 100%?

thanks, I needed the chuckle, never would've thought i'll get it in this thread of all places

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If anyone is interested, the Lancet published a new study of nCov-2019 involving the characteristics of the disease.

The average age of the patients was 55·5 years (SD 13·1), including 67 men and 32 women. 2019-nCoV was detected in all patients by real-time RT-PCR. 50 (51%) patients had chronic diseases. Patients had clinical manifestations of fever (82 [83%] patients), cough (81 [82%] patients), shortness of breath (31 [31%] patients), muscle ache (11 [11%] patients), confusion (nine [9%] patients), headache (eight [8%] patients), sore throat (five [5%] patients), rhinorrhoea (four [4%] patients), chest pain (two [2%] patients), diarrhoea (two [2%] patients), and nausea and vomiting (one [1%] patient).

The 2019-nCoV infection was of clustering onset, is more likely to affect older males with comorbidities, and can result in severe and even fatal respiratory diseases such as acute respiratory distress syndrome

Arol

Avenger
Dec 29, 2017
They quarantined a plane full of passengers from Wuhan here in California a while ago.

Hoping none of them have it.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It was only a matter of time considering the amount of Chinese people in Finland. Almost surely won't be the last case either.

Also not surprised if cases get clustered to Lapland region, they love to hit it up during Winter time.

Hope it doesn't get too bad in Finland as apparently we don't have that many intensive care units if shit hits the fan hard.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like 23% went to the ICU and 11% died of multiple organ failure.

Hopefully the mortality is still around 3% at most but there's the possibility it could be closer to SARS.

Keep in mind that it only included patients tested and treated at the hospital. Less severe cases who were not admitted would likely be excluded, although I can't tell from the article if they only included admitted patients. It would also exclude anyone who wouldn't seek hospital care in the first place; ie less severe cases.

The study population isn't representative of the general population. The aim of the study was to identify the clinical characteristics in patients seeking hospital care to aid doctors in early detection of nCoV, not to make an epidemiological assessment of overall severity.

The WHO numbers have kept severe cases at 20 % of total cases for a few days now. If the case fatality rate in that sub-group is around 10 %, the total case fatality rate would be 2 %, in line with the current WHO fatality numbers.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is interested, the Lancet published a new study of nCov-2019 involving the characteristics of the disease.

Thank you. I was not surprised that most admitted tended to be older, but am surprised to find that twice as many men have been hospitalized compared to women. I was reminded of the prevalence of smoking among Chinese men, and leaves me wondering if that's what's sensitizing those who have been gravely affected.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Air Canada suspending all flights to Shanghai and Beijing as of tomorrow. Unsure why they're excluding Hong Kong

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
We're (still) in the centennial of the flu pandemic that killed 50-100 million people, seems a good a time as any to remind people that they should get immunized this year if they're able. Lotta folks that can't, or the immunocompromised, that benefit from the protection.

Last edited:

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotal but I work in the shipping industry near a college. A lot of Chinese students have been buying tons of masks and shipping them home to family and friends.

One student sent 30 masks and paid $600 to get them there.
i hope the student bought n95 masks, because everything else is useless and a waste of money.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal but I work in the shipping industry near a college. A lot of Chinese students have been buying tons of masks and shipping them home to family and friends.

One student sent 30 masks and paid $600 to get them there.

You should see Craigslist in Vancouver right now, people trying to profit off panic by selling masks at a massive price hike. Ghouls

Status
Not open for further replies.