• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
That's fucking bad. Only 38 recovered? That makes it sound way more lethal.
Coupled with the reports of people in critical condition being at around 20%, it doesn't sound good. The incubation period is what worries me the most. This virus has been around for a couple of weeks now and it can take up to 1 week before symptoms appear. This is gonna be a crazy few weeks in front of us. I'm not the one to panic, but I don't like the sound of this, at all.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
could the timing be any worse i mean hella people are traveling for the holidays / new years

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Coupled with the reports of people in critical condition being at around 20%, it doesn't sound good. The incubation period is what worries me the most. This virus has been around for a couple of weeks now and it can take up to 1 week before symptoms appear. This is gonna be a crazy few weeks in front of us. I'm not the one to panic, but I don't like the sound of this, at all.

Yeah, this whole thing is extremely scary. It's attempting to be contained, but it's not working as of right now.

There was a meme a few weeks ago where it was like "When 2020 rolls around and you realize 1820 and 1920 had major plagues" I feel bad for laughing now.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
That two week incubation period is brutal. We're basically looking into the past right now, who knows what the numbers will be two weeks from now.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah this is growing more concerning by the day.

Really contemplating not going to Japan and South Korea in March.

Also I hope my Asian colleagues stay safe.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone confirm this is a legit site?

It says:

1287 infected
1965 suspected
38 recovered
41 dead
dxy is like a social media for healthcare professionals, kinda. I would imagine information there should be reasonably accurate.
But the best is just to go to state media, that's where everyone is getting their numbers anyway.

This is a good URL for updates from global times -

That's fucking bad. Only 38 recovered? That makes it sound way more lethal.
Recovered here mean discharged from hospital. I don't think we should assume mortality rates based on that data point.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The timing and location of the outbreak are so bad. Right before lunar new year in a major city that's also a major travel hub. Long incubation period, potentially no symptoms in some carriers, it just... sucks. I hope it can be quickly eliminated.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This ain't looking so good... I'll expect 10,000 confirmed cases next week.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah, probably. Still, that number of people in "critical condition" is close to 25% of infections. That's really high.

I feel like right now it's really hard to effectively judge these numbers. If the Virus gets caught mainly in people that are already vulnerable to diseases (very young/old/sick/etc.) it makes sense that there is a high percentage of critical conditions

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like right now it's really hard to effectively judge these numbers. If the Virus gets caught mainly in people that are already vulnerable to diseases (very young/old/sick/etc.) it makes sense that there is a high percentage of critical conditions

Oh for sure. This is not a "Spanish Flu killer of young adults" situation. At least it does not look to be the case right now.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The timing and location of the outbreak are so bad. Right before lunar new year in a major city that's also a major travel hub. Long incubation period, potentially no symptoms in some carriers, it just... sucks. I hope it can be quickly eliminated.
It's also in the middle of a cluster of cities that are integrated with each other to varying degrees, there is really no easy way to isolate Wuhan from the cities around it, which is I'm guessing why we very quickly seen the same travel restriction they put on Wuhan applied to a whole lot of cities around it.
It's also on the Yangtze so you on top of all this, you have to deal with boat traffic.

So yeah.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Mar 3, 2019
The Washington Post is reporting that China could be vastly underreporting the number of cases (possibly by 10x).

In digging past the headline, however, it's not clear if that was previously and now they're more accurate or if the numbers are still off by such a significant amount.

If this report is true than that would mean the total infection rate could be much much higher. Any thought on this? Chikor

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Cant say I've ever cared about these virus outbreak stories which often seem to border on media hysteria. But I cant stop following this as it just seems different, and of course not in a good way. Hope everyone can get it under control

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

I have read a couple of twitter posts in mandarin and after translating them (with Google Translate) it does seems like doctors and nurses are asking for supplies from abroad. A nurse was asking one of her friends in Australia for some mouth covers, and I also saw a video yesterday where people were re-selling used mouth covers on the streets. I honestly think the WHO should consider to raise the alert not out of fear of a worldwide pandemic, but to aid the Chinese hospitals and stores with supplies from abroad.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I have read a couple of twitter posts in mandarin and after translating them (with Google Translate) it does seems like doctors and nurses are asking for supplies from abroad. A nurse was asking one of her friends in Australia for some mouth covers, and I also saw a video yesterday where people were re-selling used mouth covers on the streets. I honestly think the WHO should consider to raise the alert not out of fear of a worldwide pandemic, but to aid the Chinese hospitals and stores with supplies from abroad.
Yeah, they definitely need some international aid right now.

elty

Oct 31, 2017

This is kind of weird since most of the mouth covers I have seen is made in China. Perhaps they just need to stop exporting them for awhile and centralized the distribution? Maybe the government need to stop people from stick piling and In extreme casE ration them.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No need to freak out. If you don't live in China, your chances of exposure are very low considering only 1 or 2 cases each in a couple countries combined with strict checks. If you live in China just make sure to follow all safety guides, ie: wash your hands, don't rub your eyes, wear a mask etc
Exactly.

And people need to remember even though the numbers do not seem great nor do we know the full extent of who is infected number wise as well, the origin city of Wuhan has 11 million people. If you think about even if the unknown numbers are 10 times what is reported that is still only 10 thousand out of 11 million. I am just trying to put it in perspective for people so they do not freak out. Still sad this is occuring, but going into full panic mode is ill advised. Like the poster I quoted practice proper hygiene procedures like with any virus or sickness and most of us will be fine.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
This is kind of weird since most of the mouth covers I have seen is made in China. Perhaps they just need to stop exporting them for awhile and centralized the distribution? Maybe the government need to stop people from stick piling and In extreme casE ration them.

That's a good point. I really wonder how bad it must be for their own supplies to have run out at this point.

I also agree there's no need to panic since the few cases that have been spotted outside China are being tracked down and contained properly.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They are not denying any of this.

This is Chinese media -

Reporters often do that where they get their news from Chinese media (because really, that's the only source of information about most of what goes on in China), and then repackage it as "THE SECRET CHINA DOESN'T WANT YOU HEAR".

Mar 3, 2019

Yeah I tried to bring this up before but got told I was fear mongering. There definatelly seems to be a disconnect between the local story and the national story. The part about nurses and doctors getting sick is worrying, I know they are trying to mobilize doctors from other parts of China to head over since Wuhan is understandably overwhelmed right now.

Mar 3, 2019
They are not denying any of this.

This is Chinese media -

Reporters often do that where they get their news from Chinese media (because really, that's the only source of information about most of what goes on in China), and then repackage it as "THE SECRET CHINA DOESN'T WANT YOU HEAR".

That article requires a sign up to view, can you relay how they are not denying it and how it's any different from the multitude of reports that have been shown in this thread? I understand your wanting for official numbers, but so far there have been multiple reports contradicting the official numbers from scmp, guardian, and the bbc

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
If this report is true than that would mean the total infection rate could be much much higher. Any thought on this? Chikor

Local Chinese here. My vpn is busted now so I can't access that report you linked, but there is one main known reason, causing people to question the accuracy and immediacy of infected rate data.

You need a specific kind of media-kit to diagnosis a nCoV infected patient, it's called "新型冠状肺炎病毒核酸检测试剂盒", but the supply can't keep up the demand right now. So, not all the infected are diagnosed in time.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

Chinese companies emptied themselves out of medical supplies like this before the US tariffs went into effect. Now it seems they have nothing left to use internally.

Bengraven