Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Rez Infinite Area X made me weep.

Same.

1464282019000.png

I remember when some dude thought this was photoshopped.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My first "holy shit", and this my most memorable experiences with particle effects was with Half Life 2. I got the game for Christmas right after it came out. At the time, my pc was as powerful as you could get. It was sublime. But I distinctly remember having those buzzsaw flying bitches coming after you at the most inconvenient times. Early on I discovered how versatile the gravity gun was. And specifically how I could grab those saw blade dingleberries from the air and run around with them. You could kill Combone with them, open crates, and more. It was great. But putting one of them up to a metal (and I think stone) surface, it would produce tons of sparks. And iirc, those sparks would reflect off the environment. I spent far too much time than I'd like to admit just sawing random walls and floors and ceilings just to see how the sparks would react.

Second place goes to Zone of the Enders 2. Thirdsies is probably Killer Instinct for the XBone.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Yeah, like I said, that's all pretty cool stuff until this moment right here. This is just nonsense to me.

giphy.gif

The fuck am I looking at?

It's all in context. Have you played the game? It's a titan bubble Zavala puts up to shield you in the first mission. It's being bombarded by missles from a Cabal ship. He's standing outside the bubble to the back so you can get a good look at the whole sequence. It's actually pretty damn impressive compared to the bubble we got in Destiny 1. Of course it's more a scripted moment you can interact with than anything but it shows the increase in quality to particle effects in Destiny 2 versus 1.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of games with really phenomenal particles these days. Could hardly want for more besides volumetric smoke with really great volumetric lighting.

My vote goes to Noita. Can't wait to try this game.

Definitely the one I'm most excited for.

I'd say Rez Area X in VR, and Alienation are some of my favorites.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Wait is this Borderlands?
Shit I really should have played the Borderlands games on PC.

Tell me The Pre-Sequel also has good PhysX integration its the only one I havent finished yet.

I love particle effects, they look amazing. Since some of the ones I was going to list have already been mentioned I'll add FFXV and Nier Automata, both have some awesome particle fx.

IZ1YqHj.gif

C7jIOjt.gif

I really need to replay both of these games.
Both look stunning and some raw gifs would be nice to collect since my 1070 arrived.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finding decent Nex Machina gifs which aren't a choppy, blurry mess is next to impossible. The big particle overload at the end is when you've delivered a killing blow to the boss.

170826.gif

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
It's all in context. Have you played the game? It's a titan bubble Zavala puts up to shield you in the first mission. It's being bombarded by missles from a Cabal ship. He's standing outside the bubble to the back so you can get a good look at the whole sequence. It's actually pretty damn impressive compared to the bubble we got in Destiny 1. Of course it's more a scripted moment you can interact with than anything but it shows the increase in quality to particle effects in Destiny 2 versus 1.
No, but I've played a lot of games (and seen plenty of films) that have a similar amount of particles in their imagery and it generally doesn't please me. If you enjoy fireworks so much you like looking at them on a monitor too, I can't hate. Fireworks are cool, man. But they don't wow me.

I prefer images that are clearer and cleaner, and more muted. I'm not an ardent minimalist, it's just that busy and really flashy artwork turns me off unless I can actually parse the details when I take time to examine it. I won't say it's impossible that Destiny 2's narrative couldn't make this work for me somehow in context, but I can tell you it's improbable. Out of context I see a total clusterfuck of booms and bangs.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
No, but I've played a lot of games (and seen plenty of films) that have a similar amount of particles in their imagery and it generally doesn't please me. If you enjoy fireworks so much you like looking at them on a monitor too, I can't hate. Fireworks are cool, man. But they don't wow me.

I prefer images that are clearer and cleaner, and more muted. I'm not an ardent minimalist, it's just that busy and really flashy artwork turns me off unless I can actually parse the details when I take time to examine it. I won't say it's impossible that Destiny 2's narrative couldn't make this work for me somehow in context, but I can tell you it's improbable. Out of context I see a total clusterfuck of booms and bangs.

I get it, no worries. It's definitely not for everyone.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'd post some FFXV gifs if I was home cause imo that game has an amazing implementation of GPU particles; it's dense, it persists for a long time, and the quantity is absurdly high with various shapes and sizes. At times you can have several different particle casting systems at play all at once. What's amazing is that it does so while being an open world game.

The other game that impressed me with its particles was Destiny 2.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.webp

I can't seem to find any reviews or anything on the PS4 version...when is this coming out?

Just an announcement trailer at Paris Games Week 2017.

They were fairly quiet after that. Then last month, they released that short gameplay clip I posted earlier and started making noises about a potential release date announcement soon. Steam page went up only a month ago.

It's only a couple of guys (?) working on it.

THAT'S ALL I KNOW, I SWEAR

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zone of the Enders 2 thread. Am at work but it'd be great if someone can post a gif of the Vector Cannon or Zero Shift. Incredible particle work on that game.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
From recent memory.
FFXV - warp strike and magic
God of war - those shield parrying
Dark souls 3 - some bosses have great particle effect. Dancer, Twin princes, Soul of cinder.

Ludwig from Bloodborne - The old hunters.

Thanks guys! Bloodborne was actually my game of the generation but I never touched the DLC despite owning it. So shame on me for not recognizing it.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys! Bloodborne was actually my game of the generation but I never touched the DLC despite owning it. So shame on me for not recognizing it.

Wow, you need to go back and play the DLC, although I hear it's much harder on NG+, only played it on NG. It's some of the best DLC content I've ever played, contains some amazing weapons and some absolutely amazing bosses including probably my favorite boss fight of all time. The DLC is a must.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Octopath Traveler's use of particles is pretty novel (as is its whole visual style, really). Not the greatest GIF, but you get the idea:

WhichDisfiguredAmphibian-size_restricted.gif

Having the particles light up the environments (which are actually 3D polygons with pixelated textures) adds the perfect splash of depth and flash to the battles. Paired with the pop-up book style and vignetting, it's just a neat little effect.

Oct 30, 2017
I've always thought that The Division snow storms (especially in the Survival mode) was the best representation of the real thing.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
Came to mention the Housemarque titles as well.

Insomniac is usually pretty good with their effects work, which is why I've always been fine with their games focusing on 30fps and using the extra overhead to over-deliver with effects.

Dec 23, 2017
Persona 5 features a 'spore' particle during flu season (you can see it against the wall to the right of black-haired protag). Occasionally a few of them get close to the camera so you can see it's more...icky qualities; and it's a small detail, but a nice touch.
fTV4YfT.png

Wind Waker works the cartoon aesthetic beautifully
tumblr_okxbwoSmtM1w46i3eo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Windwaker is truly amazing from an art style perspective. It does it SO well

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
God of War, Killer Instinct, and Wolfenstein 2 would be my choices. Tekken 7 and Doom are also notable.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Surprised at the lack of any Final Fantasy games. 13 and 15 have some nice particle effects.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know when epic first announced UE4 and it showed off a load of floating illuminated particles like it was the new next gen big thing. Well I feel like god of war is the only game to really bother to achieve that. Travelling between realms is a particle tour de force. As is simple combat or even just opening a door with the pick. It's crazy how much it throws around.

This thread made me realise how nice infamous was too. Especially the smoke powers.

Honourable mention goes to little big planet. They had some great volumetric smoke effects that reacted to environmental objects and player movement and I imagine dreams is going to be even better in that regard.