• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's awesome, congrats to Remedy! I got my copy last week from the Black Friday sales but haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. Really looking forward to it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
GOTY Season really brings out extra salt on ERA, people always get so salty when their favorite and most loved title didn't win and just need jab in why X didn't deserve the win.

Yeah, the compulsive need to kneecap titles that take top honors just because it wasn't your personal choice is f'ing embarrassing.

I mean, kinda entertaining...but mostly embarrassing.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
giphy.gif

Happy for my boy Sam Lake and the Remedy folks. Now make Alan Wake 2 ya cowards.

Nice. Great game. Jedi Fallen order ended up being my Goty but this is great for them. Well-deserved.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
It was my favourite game of 2019 too. Hopefully this helps boost sales, because it sucks to see an amazing game not selling as well as it deserves.

I have Control sitting in my backlog...will prob play it when I finish Death Stranding. Is Control any better now for ps4 pro? I kno there was a slew of issues at launch but havent followed up much since.
Yeah the first big patch solved the major issues, namely the horrific frame drops and the level with the intense lighting bug. It still chugs occasionally during super heavy fights, but there's so much shit going on at those moments that it doesn't really bother you.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Not even in my top 10 of the year but congrats to Remedy and fans of the game. I know alot of people loved it. Hopefully this leads to more stuff in the very near future from them!

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Holy shit at some of the mindblowing responses again, but it is to be expected.

These GOTY-awards are serious business.

OP
OP
Soulnado

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
2017 was the best GOTY season, because Zelda took everything and there was almost no controversy.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
grats Remedy, deserved. game plays fantastic/crisp with a solid challenge, has an amazing aesthetic, exploration and combat are both really well done too.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I feel like Control is the sleeper hit/dark horse that's going to be picking up a lot more GOTY picks than most people expect. I feel like it's going to be in the running for Giant Bomb's GOTY too.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Man this is so weird- where was this praise for Control from critics and media during it's launch period lol?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Control won, but on a side note it's kind of dumb that IGN is doing their GOTY with 3 weeks left to go in the year. I can't imagine their entire staff is completely 100% caught up and played everything they wanted to play.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Man this is so weird- where was this praise for Control from critics and media during it's launch period lol?
Here's few
"Great performances, strong action, and a solid sense of design all come together to make Control one of my favorite games so far in 2019. Control feels like Remedy finally making all of its different interests play well together, better than they've ever done it before."
"A hallmark of excellence." "Control is a weird, enigmatic, perplexing masterpiece. "
"Control is one of 2019's best, hands down. Less experimental than Alan Wake or Quantum Break, Control nevertheless manages to combine the best aspects of Remedy's past successes into something that feels fresh and inspired, and plays better without sacrificing story depth. "
"Its Oldest House is a brutalist masterpiece, and the characters inhabiting it are just as unforgettable. All told, it's going to be one of the most memorable games of the year."
I'm glad Control won, but on a side note it's kind of dumb that IGN is doing their GOTY with 3 weeks left to go in the year. I can't imagine their entire staff is completely 100% caught up and played everything they wanted to play.
To be honest, they probably aren't in three weeks either. I also doubt most journos (IGN or not) have yet played Disco Elysium, even though it clearly is one of the most impressive and innovative games for the year (also the best reviewed game of the year, except for RDR2 port and Final Fantasy expansion). We can see the lack of attention for it from the number of reviews alone, it only has 56 reviews in metacritic. While another game that's also on single platform Fire Emblem, rocks over 100 reviews. This is just how it goes, nothing we can do about it sadly. All people just don't have the time (or interest) to play every great game coming out.

Last edited:

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Fully deserved! Even though I played it on a base PS4 and the framerate chugs at times, still easily in the top end of my GOTY list. It feels so good to play.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Glad to see this. The game didn't click for me, like AT ALL, but can't deny the passion everyone seems to have for it.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well deserved! Best shooter/superhero game of the year, with the most interesting world and relevant surrealism.

GY0w8fa.gif

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Control was alright, but the same gray and red corridors got pretty boring, pretty fast... At least IMO.

Congrats to REMEDY.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
So happy to see Control getting the accolades it deserves. This is a huge feather in its cap.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Ashtray Maze for the win! Crazy upset. Good for Remedy! My personal GOTY was Sekiro however I enjoyed the heck out of Control.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
playing through it right now, it is fantastic and feels like a true taste of what's possible next gen.

so completely deserved. congrats, remedy.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised by this announcement--not because of the quality of the game, but because Control felt like such a weird and unique thing that I just assumed it would fail to stick for a lot of people. Congrats to Remedy, Control is indeed quite an achievement.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
While I did like the game I don't see it as a GOTY contender and do think it will be forgotten by the end of the gen. Combat is very cool and interesting but story was meh and the game lacked soul. It's still a solid 8/10. And the ashtray maze is in fact the best gaming moment of the year for me

Oct 28, 2019
Lol How may times is Death Stranding mentioned in this thread about CONTROL wining game of the year? All these backhanded complements. Control is dope too. It is my style of game.