• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else getting weird freezes whenever you exit the pause screens? Anyone know how to resolve that?

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I am running this now on preset High with RTX on high and 1080p.

I get between 50-60fps
Running this on an 2080 MSI Trio, CPU I7 9700k , 16gb ram and from an ssd.
I am playing on a 1080p projector (Optoma HD29H) and on an 200inch screen.
Game looks amazing!
I might play around with setting as see if I want to try this in 1440p, with dssl and a sharpening filter.

I see some aliasing on hair and stuff in 1080p ( maybe due to screen size?)

Currently waiting on the DF analysis to see what option I can take down a notch without impeding picture quality too much.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Not really a performance question, but is controller aim assist working on PC? I have it enabled in options and it doesn't seem to do shit. Is it supposed to be unnoticable?

Oct 27, 2017
6600k @ 4.5Ghz, GTX 1080 @ 2Ghz. 3440x1440p everything High, DX11... 30fps. Whew! It finally happened. The 1080 met its match. Turning down a setting or two to Medium got me to 40fps. Not running latest drivers though.

Really cool game so far.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
6600k @ 4.5Ghz, GTX 1080 @ 2Ghz. 3440x1440p everything High, DX11... 30fps. Whew! It finally happened. The 1080 met its match. Turning down a setting or two to Medium got me to 40fps. Not running latest drivers though.

Really cool game so far.
Definitely give that new driver a shot, they say it's optimized especially for Control

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
DLSS looks much sharper here between the two
DLSS is reconstructing detail actually, so it should be pretty good!
What's the performance difference between the two?
DLSS off v on at 1080p is like 3% difference.
Don't agree with this at all. Early DLSS implementations like BFV were awful, but this is definitely the best I've seen so far. I noticed that DF's (and our own!) Alex has been recommending everyone use DLSS and is gonna be incorporating that into his analysis in some way.

:D
DLSS will be in the analysis for a split second, but I think it deserves its own video at this point/needs more time than I can dedicate to it right now.

But atm, yes, DLSS here looks really good and far better than native internal resolution while costing little extra.

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
My GTX 1080/3770K combo is struggling a bit with this, especially when using my TV over my Gsync display.

I have it running at 1080p with most settings on medium and Nvidia sharpening enabled. Personally I think it looks pretty clean considering I'm using a 55 inch 4K display at well below native resolution.

To get a consistent frame rate on the TV I've actually set it to 50hz with vsync and it's now holding up pretty well. I would love a patch to smooth things out though.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Really cool game so far.
Try dropping render res to 2560x1080 to get a good framerate increase. At least for me, quality still looked good, especially if I pair it with MSAA and a sharpening filter.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Think I found more weirdness - double buffering only kicks in on DX11 with vsync on (NVCP) and not DX12. Weird!

With all settings maxxed except for SSR at medium, im hitting a minimum of 53 frames with my 1070/3770k so i think im good for now. Hopefully performance improves with future patches. Ive opted for this over 1440p/30 cause in gun fights you need that reaction time as playing on a controller can be abit unforgiving.

The only issue i have atm is the Vsync - Vsync on is a problem cause it might drop to 30 (on DX11) and i cant use adaptive cause there is way too much tearing. What are the other options here?

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody with GTX 970? How is performance in 1080p (not in maximum settings, like on gamegpu site)?

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
2080ti/2700x 4k with dlss 1080p looks really great considering the low render resolution. All Max settings except volumetric lighting on med and all Ray tracing options on.

Pretty much a locked 60. Occasional drops to 57/58 in big rooms with lots of reflections and lighting/shadows.

But I do get random hitches. Was pretty bad I turned off my cpu overclock (4.2 all cores) and went to auto boost and it helped they are happening way less. But still happen. Random spots almost like it's loading.
Playing on SSD. Load times are fast

Anyone else experiencing random hitches?

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Running an gtx1080ti, i7 7700k on 3440x1440 resolution. Everything maxed out with the exception of the high setting for textures instead of ultra setting and 2x msaa.

Averaging around 50fps throughout the game. Gsync does help smooth out the experience though.

Is there anyway of disabling motion blur though? I dislike motion blur in games and this is no exception, but I cant seem to find an option to disable it.

Here's how to deactivate the motion blur:
- open d3dx.ini in a text editor.
- Look for w2=1 under ;Motion blur. 0=disabled. 1=enabled. and change it to w2=0

Or use the software provided here and press F4 in game:

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Rough fps drops related to RTX.

Everything was fine, I was getting locked 60 fps @ 1080p, first two RTX options ON, everything ultra expect god rays and another option. But the maintenance are I think is where I saw fps dropping down to low 30's. Granted, there was one specific room where there was a huge reflective glass I think that might be the cause but still. If I turn off the RTX features it is rock solid 60 everywhere. Not feeling the graphical fidelity on this one. It is mostly the art direction that drops my jaw.

RTX 2070
i7 [email protected]
16 GB RAM

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is anyone else getting weird freezes whenever you exit the pause screens? Anyone know how to resolve that?
I'm pretty sure when the game is paused the background is actually a picture. It snaps it when pausing. Can tell by looking at clock speed and GPU utilization it drops my clock speed down to like 450 megahertz and is only using a portion of that when paused. Compared to the ~1980mhz and 80% when playing.

When you unpause it rerenders everything and I think that is the freeze you're seeing

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
This thread has moved fast, so I'm not sure what the latest status is on the stuttering. So my game usually runs at 60, but combat gives me stuttering and short freezing, especially before big physics moments. Sometimes they just happen in smaller skirmishes too.

Any idea on how to fix this?

Playing on a 1070/6700 rig at 1080p/60. Using mostly medium settings outside Textures at max and MSAA 2x.

Also, probably posted already, but Nvidia released their performance guide here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/control-graphics-and-performance-guide/

Rams

Dec 13, 2017
So, after about 10 hours gaming/tweaking session my total takeaway is this:

Under DX12, Max Details + DLSS + Sharpening delivers good IQ with excellent performance, even with all the RTX stuff enabled.
BUT
There is severe hitching that seems somewhat random, but is more prominent when entering new areas or throwing around and breaking stuff in combat. It very much reminds me of the problems The Division 2 has with DX12, that were since at least mostly fixed. The hitches are common and severe enough to be detrimental to gameplay, so this is a rather big problem. They were much less noticeable in the very beginning of the game, when you didn't have the jedi powers and the environments were more simple.

As for DX11, performance is very solid. But naturally, this means I'm not getting the best out of my RTX card, as I can't use DLSS or raytracing effects. Very disappointing, as a huge part of the reason for me buying this game was the tech and wanting to benefit from my expensive toy.

If someone has had any success in fixing the DX12 stutters, I'd build you an altar for telling me how you did it.

2080Ti / 9900k / 16G 3200Mhz / Win10 / 1440p gsync

Rams

Dec 13, 2017
This thread has moved fast, so I'm not sure what the latest status is on the stuttering. So my game usually runs at 60, but combat gives me stuttering and short freezing, especially before big physics moments. Sometimes they just happen in smaller skirmishes too.

Any idea on how to fix this?

Playing on a 1070/6700 rig at 1080p/60. Using mostly medium settings outside Textures at max and MSAA 2x.

See my post. TLDR: Try DX11 if you haven't.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
How do I unable DLSS? I have 4K monitor and 2080ti and no matter what resolution I chose for both render menu I can't click on the check box. This is with DX12 and RTX options on.

Edit: Fixed by reinstalling the full driver. Before I would 7-unzip just the essential files into another folder and install it there to avoid bloatware, but it's missed the AI driver for the card.

Last edited:

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this on 1080ti in 1080p, everything at max settings.
It works fine, but there are some random stutters that are probably related to DX12.
I've also tried setting the resolution to 4k, internal to 1080p and it seems to run ok. Is there a noticeable difference between this and regular 1080p?
Did not have time to compare the two, as I really like the game and cannot stop playing it.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Might just run this game locked at 30fps and with a controller. Don't want to battle mouse smoothing, frame drops, frame timing, and stutters if any on unlocked hehe hopefully it feels just as good as Alan Wake on a Xbox controller.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I hope this wasn't posted before? RTX in this one looks disappointing, or rather, not needed. Maybe some sections later in the game show it off better?

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017

I hope this wasn't posted before? RTX in this one looks disappointing, or rather, not needed. Maybe some sections later in the game show it off better?

smh

This is the best implementation of RTX in any game that isn't a tech demo. Period.

There's TONS of details everywhere that are lost without RTX. There's no going back after playing with it on.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
smh

This is the best implementation of RTX in any game that isn't a tech demo. Period.

There's TONS of details everywhere that are lost without RTX. There's no going back after playing with it on.
I can barely spot a difference, and that's with side by side comparison. *shrug*

Ironically the biggest RTX *wow this is pretty cool* moment for me was Quake 2 RTX.

Last edited:

fokkusu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it seems really pretty game and everything works alright, except the random stutters. Running it on 2080 SUPER.,1440p DLSS on and RTW medium.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

this video is REALLY not a good demonstration of it imo. i know DF is working on a video to show it off, hopefully they'll know the parts to show because the effect in some areas is jawdropping.

here are some comparison shots i took that do a better job imo

rtx on:
q6eDd46.png

rtx off:
SpTe16C.png

rtx on:
N9KAKAs.png

rtx off:
LEMSDKB.png

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
Guys what performance can I expect with a Ryzen 2700 and a RTX 2080? I play at 1440p and would like RTX on to the full if possible.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Think I found more weirdness - double buffering only kicks in on DX11 with vsync on (NVCP) and not DX12. Weird!
Noticed that too. Also loading times are significantly shorter on DX12.

V-Sync is also bugged for some reason. My 30fps experience was so far pretty smooth, but occasionally, especially after alt+tabbing, some serious input lag would kick in. Activating the v-sync ingame and deactivating it magically eliminates that (I have forced v-sync via NVCP since it gives better results in terms of frame pacing than the ingame vsync).

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Completely disagree with people saying it is unplayable with RTX on...I have a 2060 super and a pretty crappy CPU and it is perfectly playable with everything maxed out at 1080p.

Looks just incredible as well.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Excellent, I was expecting to have to drop other things down a tad! I hear DLSS is implemented well on this game?
definitely the best implementation i've seen! great that you can use it for resolutions other than 4k now and even pick from multiple native resolutions for DLSS to work with. on the 2070 for 1440p i use the setting with the native res of 720p but it really does not look like 720p at all. definitely a hit to IQ but worth it for the graphical improvements and 60fps smoothness. some of the early DLSS implementations were terrrrrible. i'm thinking BFV. this is miles better

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Anybody with GTX 970? How is performance in 1080p (not in maximum settings, like on gamegpu site)?

Tried it for a bit earlier on my older machine downstairs i have hooked to my TV specs are gtx 970 , i5 4690k, 16 gb, Win 10.
I got 30-40 fps on high, 40-50 on medium and around 80 fps on low this was on 1080p (also rendering resolution) running trough the first area with action in the game.

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
definitely the best implementation i've seen! great that you can use it for resolutions other than 4k now and even pick from multiple native resolutions for DLSS to work with. on the 2070 for 1440p i use the setting with the native res of 720p but it really does not look like 720p at all. definitely a hit to IQ but worth it for the graphical improvements and 60fps smoothness. some of the early DLSS implementations were terrrrrible. i'm thinking BFV. this is miles better

Sounds great! Yeah BFV was terrible.. I think the only game I enjoyed with RTX on so far was Metro and that was only subtle.