• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Playing on base PS4 and it runs like absolute butts sometimes, but I'm still enjoying it. I do wish there was a photo mode in the game, cause all my screenshots are ruined by the HUD.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
I finished the game, and I found it truly amazing.
But unfortunately I also found some bugs (PC):
- I can't change outfit anymore. The option disappeared
- I can't upgrade the "rail gun" (I don't know the name in english, I'm sure you get it). It's completely missing in the upgrade screen. I was able to upgrate to level one, then gone.

Am I the only one? Any fix?

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
- I can't upgrade the "rail gun" (I don't know the name in english, I'm sure you get it). It's completely missing in the upgrade screen. I was able to upgrate to level one, then gone.

I can't upgrade the pierce one neither.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm seeing folks staying the game is boring. What makes it so boring?
Encounters ends to be repetitive even if places where you fight aren't, and the difficulty condensed into avoiding rockets and grenades. You can clean the game in turret mode, throwing from far away an infinite amount of stuff ripped around you and discharging your gun during the cooldown.

It's the weakest point of the game, but in the meantime, Jesse is really great to handle - responsive, agile - and for me gunplay, impacts and all that mess of powers and powder blowing everything produces a spectacular entertainment.

Otherwise the world building is gorgeous, like an Alice in Wonderland trapped in The Marrow of The Evil Within 2. I dunno if even one person is still originated from the demogroup which Remedy come from, but I find a demomaking vibes in it in all these architectural abstractions, aberrante spaces and optical illusions.

Last edited:

Kodaemon

Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Maybe the environments are kind of repetitive with the grey ceilings walls and floors but other than that there is nothing boring about this game.
I would say the game kinda suffers from the same problem other Remedy games do - it relies too much on the primary loop of shooting gameplay with too little variation between encounters. It does too little to shake things up gameplay-wise.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
uiLmhvW.gif

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thanks, I'll give that a crack. It's a real shame we don't have a free camera/photo mode for this.
Definitely, though one is in the works (dev blog posted earlier)!

Can get some nice shots using the crouch for now though, here's one I dumped a couple pages back to get a sense:

29082019234353rhlsz1.png

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I would say the game kinda suffers from the same problem other Remedy games do - it relies too much on the primary loop of shooting gameplay with too little variation between encounters. It does too little to shake things up gameplay-wise.

I disagree. There's a huge enemy variety that helps shake up encounters, to say nothing of the side quests and boss fights.

Like one side quest is essentially just listening to an audio tape while running around and it's great.

Kodaemon

Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I disagree. There's a huge enemy variety that helps shake up encounters, to say nothing of the side quests and boss fights.

What was there in terms of puzzles and boss fights was fun, but it's strange how the most interesting content is actually the optional stuff. The game needed more bizarre boss fights and more puzzles, the setting almost demands it.

Like one side quest is essentially just listening to an audio tape while running around and it's great.

You literally picked the one side quest that is locked behind an exclusivity deal.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
What was there in terms of puzzles and boss fights was fun, but it's strange how the most interesting content is actually the optional stuff. The game needed more bizarre boss fights and more puzzles, the setting almost demands it.

You literally picked the one side quest that is locked behind an exclusivity deal.

Sorry, I didn't know!

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm really confused about some of these classified collectibles that don't seem to do anything

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wow, thanks, I'll try it later.
Is it risky in any way?

Nah not if you ever used a hex editor and don't mess up the wrong strings^^

Someone posted a few more hex edits on another forum to remove blur, post processing aa and so on:
For DX11 hex edit renderer_rmdwin7_f.dll:

78A53C: 01 -> 00 bool rend::RenderOptions::RenderDepthOfField
78A53D: 01 -> 00 bool rend::RenderOptions::RenderVectorBlur
78A54E: 01 -> 00 bool rend::RenderOptions::ScreenSpaceAntialiasing

For DX12 hex edit renderer_rmdwin10_f.dll:

7AE73D: 01 -> 00 bool rend::RenderOptions::RenderDepthOfField
7AE73E: 01 -> 00 bool rend::RenderOptions::RenderVectorBlur
7AE74F: 01 -> 00 bool rend::RenderOptions::ScreenSpaceAntialiasing

The RenderVectorBlur variable is responsible for camera motion blur. No need to use the injection DLL patch from Steam forums anymore and it works under DX12 too.

I don't really recommend disabling Screen Space Antialiasing though the game looks terrible without it.

Last edited:

Kodaemon

Banned
Jul 21, 2019

I tried crafting/upgrading my guns after having almost forgotten about the upgrade system and yup, I'm stuck as well - I spend resources but nothing actually gets unlocked. Serious, serious bug there.

EDIT: Oh, and tet666 huge props for sharing this stuff!

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
[
I tried crafting/upgrading my guns after having almost forgotten about the upgrade system and yup, I'm stuck as well - I spend resources but nothing actually gets unlocked. Serious, serious bug there.

EDIT: Oh, and tet666 huge props for sharing this stuff!

Huh, I just figured thst was intentional because the thing is already powerful enough without upgrades...

Oct 27, 2017
So the upgrade for the pierce is glitched? I feel like I went way to long without an upgrade option but thought it was intentional since it's pretty powerful from the start. May need to dump resources into buying charge than.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Finished the campaign last night, and Control is definitely in my top 3 games of the year so far.

Everything from Ahti's vacation up through the Hiss mindfuck segment was incredible. Old Gods of Asgard action montage set piece through the Ashtray Maze had me grinning so hard and might be my favorite moment in the whole game. The ending, however, seemed really abrupt and felt very "welp, that wraps all that up real quick". I probably would've felt better about it if a bunch of better scenes and twists hadn't happened right before that final mission.

Honestly - and this might just be me having the wrong expectations - most of the stuff involving the brother fell super flat to me. They spend so much time foreshadowing him and building him up as a scary guy, just to immediately have him not really be much of a presence in the game past him telling you about his Hiss dreams. Just seems like they would've/could've done so much more there, but maybe ran out of time or left it intentionally unexplored for DLC/sequel?

Oh, and does Marshall's disappearance get addressed in the post-game? I talked to Arish and he brought up seeing her go to Maintenance, but I haven't had time to look into it yet. Is there some closure there, or is that just setting up future stuff also?
You might want to check out the spoiler thread too, if you want to discuss with others who have finished the game. https://www.resetera.com/threads/control-spoiler-thread.138128/

Last edited:

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Only a couple of hours in (around the mail room) and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. The combat and gunplay is more satisfying than QB and I also like the pacing way more.

Playing on my One X and performance has been smooth so far.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Just finished everything, and now I'm sad.

Just finished finding all the Alan Wake references, man, knowing that this game is set in the same universe... Alan Wake DLC when?

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Just finished everything, and now I'm sad.

Just finished finding all the Alan Wake references, man, knowing that this game is set in the same universe... Alan Wake DLC when?

it's pretty sad. It sounds like he's still lost in the astral plane. But it's linked by the motel so maybe we can let him out through there?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
The only bug I've found on PC so far was that I showed up for some 'defend these good guys' mission and no enemies spawned in. Just sat there staring at them for 3 minutes or whatever, then collected my reward. Could be worse.

Kodaemon

Banned
Jul 21, 2019
The only bug I've found on PC so far was that I showed up for some 'defend these good guys' mission and no enemies spawned in. Just sat there staring at them for 3 minutes or whatever, then collected my reward. Could be worse.
There are much worse bugs out there. I was stuck for half an hour wondering what I should be doing since the control point at the Turntable wouldn't show a prompt to cleanse it. I still can't cleanse another optional point after a few hours, having reloaded, died etc. to reset the area. The weapon crafting also got irrepairably broken at some point. And these are bugs I've seen others beside me mention as well.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I just reached a really annoying boss. Get shredded in fucking seconds and my shield only takes 1 hit.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This should be a modern masterpiece of 3rd person metrovania sc-fi horror, but sadly its superb level design, world building and voice acting are let down by a terrible main character and some pretty frustrating choices in combat design. James McCaffrey is still a treat though.

Jesse kinda sucks. She's all
"but my brother! i'm _really_ here to try and find my brother! can i trust these people?" she ponders while she's in some catastrophic reality-bending secret facility of interdimensional god knows what. take a step back, girl.

The combat is an improvement from QB but still not excellent. Plainly, enemies take too many hits to die most of the time, and your own upgrades really coincide with increasing enemy level so you never really feel that powerful despite hurling huge things across the combat space. I also don't care for the health system.
Interesting, I've been one shotting almost everything with Pierce. Between that and shatter I'm pretty good at keeping the crowd controlled.

I absolutely love the combat in this game between zooming around dodging and hurling items at the enemies.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, suddenly this turned into Resident Evil 7. I didn't expect that