coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Just downloaded the EGS launcher for this, not gonna bother pre purchasing as the extra costume is ehhh.

Gonna wait for impressions on the PC version and if theres any major issues with the store. If there is I'll just grab it on PS4 on Friday. Really looking forward to this now, everything I've read is music to my ears.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
To jump in this game length discussion, I have to say I strongly disagree with this "the longer the better" attitude. Indeed, I feel a lot of games today, mainly open worlds, are way longer than they have to be. They use repetitive design, quests and combat to do that and it sucks. I can finish the entire Mass Effect trilogy in the time it would take me to finish a game like AC:Odyssey. That's plain wrong. (most of the times).
Even so, sub-10 hours for a singleplayer-only game at 60$ is not good. Hoping that won't be an issue here though.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Looking at some streams, Control still has the lack of a cover system and blind firing, from Quantum Break. So hearing about the length is welcomed as the game won't outstay it's welcome.

Intentional design as Remedy didn't set out to make cover shooter. Control's combat is all about staying on the move and aggressive. There even isn't HP regeneration.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Intentional design as Remedy didn't set out to make cover shooter. Control's combat is all about staying on the move and aggressive. There even isn't HP regeneration.

Having cover doesn't instantly make it a 'cover shooter' .....hell Vanquish is all about staying on the move and being aggressive and there is no other game TPS-wise that lives up to it regarding that.....yet you can still slam into cover and blind fire.

I just feel like blind-fire and taking cover as an option is TPS 101. This seems to be a reskinned Quantum Break from what I've seen of it in action.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow morning in North America.

Hopefully people start reading this thread before asking so it doesn't need to keep being repeated every page :p
thanks, would hope info like that would be in the OP or the trailer.

Hoping reviews are good but since my pc cant even run recommended specs, I'll prob wait until after I upgrade my gpu

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Having cover doesn't instantly make it a 'cover shooter' .....hell Vanquish is all about staying on the move and being aggressive and there is no other game TPS-wise that lives up to it regarding that.....yet you can still slam into cover and blind fire.

I just feel like blind-fire and taking cover as an option is TPS 101. This seems to be a reskinned Quantum Break from what I've seen of it in action.
Depends completely on the pace and style of combat. A more arcadey or more aggressive TPS likely doesnt need a cover system.

Like Gran Turismo and Burnout are both racing games, but with drastically different approaches and gameplay design to suit those approaches. Burnout isn't lacking because it doesn't have customization or doesnt require you to modulate braking into a turn. In the same way, there's no set "101" design for a third-person shooter. A more tactical game might feature a cover system and blind firing, one that revolves around movement might not and have combat mechanics that encourage aggressive play. In the FPS department, Doom's finishers drove the player to rush into the midst of battle and be right in enemies' faces

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017

Alan Wake didn't have cover either, it's not really a pre-requisite for the genre. Control seems to placing a sharp focus on its abilities above other mechanics, even offering a mobile shield. Verdict is out on whether it all works well.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Depends completely on the pace and style of combat. A more arcadey or more aggressive TPS likely doesnt need a cover system.

Like Gran Turismo and Burnout are both racing games, but with drastically different approaches and gameplay design to suit those approaches. Burnout isn't lacking because it doesn't have customization or doesnt require you to modulate braking into a turn. In the same way, there's no set "101" design for a third-person shooter. A more tactical game might feature a cover system and blind firing, one that revolves around movement might not and have combat mechanics that encourage aggressive play. In the FPS department, Doom's finishers drove the player to rush into the midst of battle and be right in enemies' faces

Like i said about Vanquish, that's arcade y and aggressive but has the option to take cover. I'm not saying not having it is bad game design but in something like Control it would have been a great addition coming from Quantum Break.

There isn't a "set TPS 101 design" but there are basics. I feel like blind firing and possibly even cover is a basic in 2019. You don't have to USE them, you can stay out on the move and be aggressive...but in Control you are fighting in office environments...with lots of wall pillars and office desks etc.

It be nice to hop in and out of cover, evading enemies, mixing up powers, attacking in and out of sight.

Oct 25, 2017
For those on ps4, am I missing a time counter hah all this talk around length and I can't find anything in game that shows how long I've been playing

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need a cover system to have those strategies in a shooter

But either way, that recent review shows the player crouching behind stuff so there is a form of cover in the game

Yea, you just click the stick and you'll crouch right behind cover. You wouldn't really want to stick to the side since so much of what you cover behind can be blown apart. I wouldn't really say the game is nearly as fast paced as Doom but very similar to QB, you want to remain agile and use all your tools. Sometimes dropping behind cover to recharge makes sense, but I honestly find combat scenarios a mix of it all

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
You don't need a cover system to have those strategies in a shooter

But either way, that recent review shows the player crouching behind stuff so there is a form of cover in the game

Yea, I seen that, it's 'soft cover'...and usually automatic...the modern Tomb Raider games apply it as well. Again, the cover system/blind fire is something NOT needed, but QoL gameplay options...and the way I play games....it damn sure is a nice-to-have.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just skimmed some of his other videos

Bloodstained 8.5
Judgment 10
Days Gone 7
Sekiro 10
RE2 Remake 10
Division 2 8.5
RDR2 10
Anthem 6

Interesting, thanks. So he seems to be maybe a little generous with the REALLY high scores, but not afraid to callout a shitty game like Anthem. I could see Control landing in the 80-85 range on Metacritic which would be amazing.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The goofy Portal 2-esque scientist promos describing objects are a bit of a surprise.

Don't think I've seen any streamer use RTX settings yet.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Looking at some streams, Control still has the lack of a cover system and blind firing, from Quantum Break
Man, damnit. Not being able to fire blindly/from hip was my only issue with Quantum Break because aiming slowed down the pace, and I hoped they would have addressed that. I was fine with the cover system in QB and found it almost perfect (not as smooth as in Tomb Raider reboot series).

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Man, damnit. Not being able to fire blindly/from hip was my only issue with Quantum Break because aiming slowed down the pace, and I hoped they would have addressed that. I was fine with the cover system in QB and found it almost perfect (not as smooth as in Tomb Raider reboot series).

This was all I was saying. In the heat of battle the small details in gameplay options matter.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Control has same soft cover system as Quantum Break has.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Some good news!!

Then, Virtala admits that he already knows how the game has been received in advance estimates and pre-sold in selected markets.

"Now let's just say we have a positive, enthusiastic atmosphere."

Much more cannot be disclosed by the CEO of a listed company.

From a recent interview!!

Yay, happy to see Remedy might have their first big success in over a decade!!