• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Now we're equating Contra to Jordan fucking Peterson?...
They're saying that the "you have to watch it all before you dismiss it" response is one employed by people if you dismiss a Peterson video, not comparing the two people. Which I'm guessing you knew, since it's apparent.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I don't know, I don't think anyone has a good answer to that. I'm actually surprised the right isn't doing more of this to disrupt leftist spaces. But again, Russia did this in 2016 and it seemed to work, so it's a question that should be on everyone's mind this year.
I feel its just cause leftist spaces are usually generally moderated in a way that helps prevent this. On places where the leftist community doesn't have reliable tools to moderate themselves like Twitter they do this but say here for example its not so easy to achieve

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't remeber the exact thing she said so, fair. But I guess I took it as someone saying something that could be construed as bigoted when they're thinking it's a stupid wordplay joke that they got rightfully called out on doesn't mean the intent is inherently racist. It is on it's own, not a sign that someone is 'a racist.' even if though it's in poor taste no matter what and it's very easy to see a racist angle in it.
i think it's pretty telling that she's using totally fair and reasonable criticism of people criticizing James Charles as an example of ~cancel culture gone wild~ and then goes on to defend Buck Angel

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Now we're equating Contra to Jordan fucking Peterson?...

Of course not.

Comparing the devotion of their fans on the other hand....

Not even the first time in this thread.

Guy, I clearly said that ContraPoints FANS were using the excuse that Peterson FANS so dropped this obtuse indignation. You knew exactly what I meant.

Jeeze, for someone claiming we should "rushing to conclusions" you sure as sin doing a good job of that yourself.

Last edited:

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
i think it's pretty telling that she's using totally fair and reasonable criticism of people criticizing James Charles as an example of ~cancel culture gone wild~ and then goes on to defend Buck Angel

Yes, it's reasonable to yell "racist!!!" at a 17 year old making a "catch Ebola in Africa" joke in the year that an Ebola outbreak in Congo was widely reported, two years after the fact. A joke he immediately and rather maturely apologized for. Christ.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I think her point there was more that the way news spreads these days basically blurred the details of what we knew from the original claims, which may have been valid, but weren't equivalent to what the story evolves into

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Easy way of sidestepping the actual point she made and Berordn rearticulated in their post.

Do you think that is enough for him to keep the "Racist" descriptif attributed to him, despite no other instances? (apparently, don't follow this guy to know).

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
But I guess I took it as someone saying something that could be construed as bigoted when they're thinking it's a stupid wordplay joke that they got rightfully called out on doesn't mean the intent is inherently racist.

I mean a bad pun that pushes on racist lines is basically touching the comedy equivalent of pissing on an electrified rail, but if we're still talking about the ebola joke (as I'm not sure if you're speaking more generally) I'm not even sure what the wordplay was in that case. Either way, intent doesn't stop current from running through that fence.

also: she pretty much directly says Buck Angel has never invalidated nb identities and that if he had, she would have seen it

Y'know, I was about to post that because Buck Angel outed Lana Wachowski that he was being a toxic shitbag even in his heyday, I'm being too generous by implying his issues manifested after he did his work for the trans community with my oblique reference to Tales from the City.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I mean a bad pun that pushes on racist lines is basically touching the comedy equivalent of pissing on an electrified rail, but if we're still talking about the ebola joke (as I'm not sure if you're speaking more generally) I'm not even sure what the wordplay was in that case. Either way, intent doesn't stop current from running through that fence.
The joke was mistaking Ebola for E. Coli, which is why Chipotle was part of it. But you're kinda making the point for this specific joke, it was clearly not very well thought out and came from a particular mindset that wasn't able to see the issues of it. I wouldn't fault anyone for seeing some sort of bigotry in it.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Anything but an apology from her at this point is not worth watching. Especially not 100 minutes. Would be a shame but her last few videos have been rather lame anyway.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
The joke was mistaking Ebola for E. Coli, which is why Chipotle was part of it. But you're kinda making the point for this specific joke, it was clearly not very well thought out and came from a particular mindset that wasn't able to see the issues of it. I wouldn't fault anyone for seeing some sort of bigotry in it.
this makes the joke teller not a racist doesn't mean the joke itself can't be called racist.
Anything but an apology from her at this point is not worth watching. Especially not 100 minutes. Would be a shame but her last few videos have been rather lame anyway.
she doesn't apologise for the Buck situation, though she does apologise for two older controversies so if any apology is enough then you should watch it, if not don't force yourself

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting really because with James Charles she's actually showing how to properly apologize

Funny she didn't learn from it.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it's reasonable to yell "racist!!!" at a 17 year old making a "catch Ebola in Africa" joke
glad you agree that it's racist
A joke he immediately and rather maturely apologized for
so what. that has nothing to do with the point i was making.
I think her point there was more that the way news spreads these days basically blurred the details of what we knew from the original claims, which may have been valid, but weren't equivalent to what the story evolves into
her point was also that it's not racist
Do you think that is enough for him to keep the "Racist" descriptif attributed to him, despite no other instances?
i think it's very fair to call that a racist remark and the fact that she seems confused how equating Africa with ebola is racist
Y'know, I was about to post that because Buck Angel outed Lana Wachowski that he was being a toxic shitbag
she also kind of defends him there too. as soon as she starts to go through how horrible what she did was, she immediately derails it with this thing about ~how dare you investigate Buck, investigating trans people is what fascists do~

she directly says that any criticism of Buck over the Lana thing is "none of your fucking business, so shut up and go back to K*wiF*rms where you belong" and then equates her/Buck's critics to fascists. 10/10, would youtube again

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just noticing that the defense of "You need to watch the whole video to understand" sounds very similar to Jordan Peterson fans.

Edit: lol Kyuuji already on it
Except that fans of virtually any creative work will be annoyed at seeing it criticized and dismissed by people who haven't even watched/read/consumed said work.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE="tulpa"]she directly says that any criticism of Buck over the Lana thing is "none of your fucking business, so shut up and go back to K*wiF*rms where you belong" and then equates her/Buck's critics to fascists. 10/10, would youtube again
[/QUOTE]
Yeah that part feels like head in the sand stuff to me

a weird way to draw a line between personal and public

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
she directly says that any criticism of Buck over the Lana thing is "none of your fucking business, so shut up and go back to K*wiF*rms where you belong" and then equates her/Buck's critics to fascists. 10/10, would youtube again
the funniest part about this is how quickly one can get the details on the Lana outing thing. Like she pretends its some super in depth investigation when it takes a simple google search

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Contra's the de-facto "token trans voice" for a lot of people, and therefore can speak on behalf of those people and can Do No Wrong.
I've seen this before in my own community. It's pretty much going to take hard push back from the actual community before people outside of it even begin to try and listen. Until then, folks outside of it will be defending the "voice" tooth and nail.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
this makes the joke teller not a racist doesn't mean the joke itself can't be called racist.
I mean, that's kind of the point? He made a dumb joke, he apologized, but it still got dug up despite that and not having any notable history.

Natalie's classification of it may be off but in this particular case the logic at least follows what she's saying.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Except that fans of virtually any creative work will be annoyed at seeing it criticized and dismissed by people who haven't even watched/read/consumed said work.
If my last painting and prior works before that were perceived as being dismissive of non-binary people I wouldn't be particularly bewildered by their discussion or dismissal of my next piece or me. Certainly wouldn't be enthralled by fans of my work brow-beating non binary people for it.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
i think it's very fair to call that a racist remark and the fact that she seems confused how equating Africa with ebola is racist

Again sidestepping to avoid ansering the question but wahtever.

This is the lack of nuance we should all work to curtail on the left. Sure a comment can be racist, but if you are going to stick the eternal "racist" label on someone based on one terrible joke they already apologized for and nothing else YEARS after the fact, you weren't in good faith to begin with.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Contrapoints discourse is exhausting because it's normally an argument between people who theoretically love each other (not saying that she shouldn't be strongly criticized of course).

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
the bit around an hour and twenty three minutes where she talks about how after people have decided you're the enemy there's nothing you can do is pretty accurate, based on how people around here acted when this first broke: Apologies will be seen as insincere, trying to articulate or contextualize your viewpoint is seen as weaseling out, going silent is seen as being a cowardly weasel, and if you delete the content and your social media accounts, you'll be blamed for letting right wing shitheads use you as an example of political correctness gone wrong

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like she only intended to address that to people actively harassing her in the video

However it feels like in her attempts to address that and harassment that she also doesn't really address the people who were speaking reasonably about this. I could be wrong about this; it was a long video.

this is why I mentioned before that I'm growing skeptical of long form videos like this in general with weighty matters. I feel like I need someone in the video with her to bounce ideas direct or I'm getting drawn into just one piece of things (however well defined)
There was a section that did go into detail with the criticisms and were she did apologis but since it's a long video, it gets abit lost in there, yet a think the bit were she actually goes into the apology is long and detailed. Maybe this video should have been in more parts? I don't know, she's going into a topic which is incredibly hard and difficult and were there don't appear to be right answers for.

How the internet forms criticism is a disaster, it leads to people getting harassed but (and the but is very important) that doesn't mean that people making criticisms aren't being fair and valid. There are a lot of trans and non-binary people that made excellant points about what was wrong about Natalie Wynn's tweets. You are then going to get people that were hurt by it and will respond emotionally because it's an emotive topic, it's hard to keep calm about something you are hurt by, and often being loud and emotive is the only way minorities have to get listened to.

And then you have the real problem which makes the conversation messy and escalates it, were you have alt-right shitheads coming in pretending to be part of the community because they sense an opportunity to target a promenient minority and salvatiate at the prospect of bringing them down. They will rile people up, they will personally attack, dox, go after family and friends, normalise and encourage members of the actual minority communirty that they should do this too as well as get them emotionally riled up. This then in turn gets the prominient member who's being targeted for criticism on the defensive and probably lashing out cus it's really hard to take that kind of abuse and remain calm. It can also be incredibly hard to tell the difference between disingenoius attackers and those with legit criticisms because when you are being attacked like that, even if it's only a small proportion doing that, it can still be hundreds and thopusands of people , so it's too easy to lump them in one group.

And then you have another group of people, the defenders, the people who wade into defend and shut down any criticism of the said prominient member, without even probably listening to what the original issue was, that use language which is dimissive and hurtful to the group making the criticism in the first place. They can ever be fans of the promenient member and are overly protective, or are bigoted assholes that want to shutdown minorites concerns and trivalise it. You will get these people inferring that the original criticisers are crasy or snowflaky . This of course is going to get the criticisers more emotional and have to respond more strongly, as they are now not just having to explain their criticism but now have to defend themselves against what is essentially dehumanising language which can often be even more discriminatory/phobic and hurtful than what the original complaint was abour. You then get a community that feels hurt and like they aren't being listened to, not just from what the promenient member did, but the abuse they receive from their followers. The promenient member may not have initiated what their followers did, but it still happened.

You then end up with what started as a valid criticism thatthe promenient member needed to take on board, escalating to an all out war cus both sides have received an escalating amount of abuse. The problem with Natalie Wynn's video is while I agree that she's right that she should not have received the harassment and abuse that seh details in the video, and also that promenient minority figures do get dragged much more harshly and don't get the benefit of the doubt that cis staright white males do, the people who made the criticisms still need to make those criticisms and have a way to be heard, and I don't think it's their fault the pile on happened. It's the way the internet works that the pile on happened. She should have probaly gone into more depth on the people who escalate and make theses situations worse in the video, and probably had the apology in a separate video. It is complicated and I'm not sure what is the right way to do criticism on the internet because the problem is that it's not just you and the person you are addressing, it's you and a bunch of other randomer people , and who know's what their motives are.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Again sidestepping to avoid ansering the question but wahtever.
zero sidestepping. why do Contra's male fans love attacking nb people who have the mildest of criticisms about her
This is the lack of nuance we should all work to curtail on the left. Sure a comment can be racist, but if you are going to stick the eternal "racist" label on someone based on one terrible joke they already apologized for and nothing else YEARS after the fact, you weren't in good faith to begin with
this is completely irrelevant to the point i'm making

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear she chose James Charles because he's an actual genuine example of things gone wrong and wants everyone to think she's shown the same level of contrition that he did for his racist joke and his unintentional transphobic comment. Except Charles apologized and never repeated Nat sort of apologizes and then frequently repeats it

There's a reason she immediately jumps to herself right after.

Also the snark is no longer cute when addressing her own issues.

Also she accidentally implies gay men aren't a marginalized community heh when she says what if you aren't James Charles, what if you aren't rich, what if you're part of a marginalized community and rely on that community for support.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
People will spend literally hours arguing in a thread, but won't put on a long video. Smh

You don't have to do it. You don't have to do anything, but don't just put dismiss the video or shit on it in a thread, just because it's a little long. Lord help us if people feel like Macbeth is too long.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
the bit around an hour and twenty three minutes where she talks about how after people have decided you're the enemy there's nothing you can do is pretty accurate, based on how people around here acted when this first broke: Apologies will be seen as insincere, trying to articulate or contextualize your viewpoint is seen as weaseling out, going silent is seen as being a cowardly weasel, and if you delete the content and your social media accounts, you'll be blamed for letting right wing shitheads use you as an example of political correctness gone wrong
She still should have tried it following producing a video featuring someone who's dismissive of identities those in the credits of that video are a part of, instead of paywalling a "poor me/poor buck" video.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I mean, that's kind of the point? He made a dumb joke, he apologized, but it still got dug up despite that and not having any notable history.

Natalie's classification of it may be off but in this particular case the logic at least follows what she's saying.
I mean it follows that he shouldn't be hounded as a racist sure, her classification of the joke itself is part of her logic so it being off is her logic being off. I think its important in these discussions we understand that we should be able to classify an action as bigoted even if the person doing it isn't which saying the joke doesn't demonstrate racism doesn't do.
if she doesn't want to be seen as insincere, she shouldn't have been so disingenous when discussing the criticisim of herself and you know not apologising for most of it.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I mean it follows that he shouldn't be hounded as a racist sure, her classification of the joke itself is part of her logic so it being off is her logic being off. I think its important in these discussions we understand that we should be able to classify an action as bigoted even if the person doing it isn't which saying the joke doesn't demonstrate racism doesn't do.
I guess I would follow up with "is ignorance the same as racism," given the timeframe which that joke was made. I'm kind of ashamed to say that I didn't really consider the joke racist either until I thought about it long enough because the Chipotle scandal was actually the first thing I thought of when I read it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
People will spend literally hours arguing in a thread, but won't put on a long video. Smh

You don't have to do it. You don't have to do anything, but don't just put dismiss the video or shit on it in a thread, just because it's a little long. Lord help us if people feel like Macbeth is too long.
I'm watching it tomorrow because it's 11:30pm and I'd rather not have that before hitting the hay. You can shake your head as much as you like but don't dismiss or assume on behalf of people here as to why they're critical of Wynn, the video or might be reluctant to watch it off the rip.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meany you forgot the part where she never apologized, defended a bigot and pimped her Patron so people could find out what she really thinks but sure, close enough.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
So far into the video the underlying point seems to be to not paint people in the worst possible light just because it's easy to do so.
Cancelling doesn't have to be literally mean they no longer have their job or their influence. But you can simply write off anything they say or do with zero effort by throwing some powerful labels that may not be an accurate or fair characterization of the person.

That's the overall impression I got as well. Like if you just slap the term Terf on someone, then the damage is done, regardless of whether or not they are. I think we can all agree some speech leads to harm and shouldn't be platformed, but it's finding that ground in between.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I guess I would follow up with "is ignorance the same as racism," given the timeframe which that joke was made. I'm kind of ashamed to say that I didn't really consider the joke racist either until I thought about it long enough because the Chipotle scandal was actually the first thing I thought of when I read it.
the answer is yes. Racism doesn't have to be purposefully malicious. I'm genuinely suprised to even see this questioned in a Contra vid thread. Like don't all of us who watch her vids know this?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm watching it tomorrow because it's 11:30pm and I'd rather not have that before hitting the hay. You can shake your head as much as you like but don't dismiss or assume on behalf of people here as to why they're critical of Wynn, the video or might be reluctant to watch it off the rip.
i'm 50 minutes into it and honestly the more she talks the less convinced I am. it's basically just defending James Charles, defending Buck Angel (she directly states he has never invalidated nb identities), defending herself by talking about how just because you're hurt by me doesn't mean i did anything wrong and basically just depicting her critics as hysterical and irrational and not actually addressing their arguments but putting up straw men against them. blah. but i think i'm gonna peace out of this thread, i hate getting spammed with notifications from her defense force

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the video. I thought it was very well made, although I do disagree on some points she made.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's the overall impression I got as well. Like if you just slap the term Terf on someone, then the damage is done, regardless of whether or not they are. I think we can all agree some speech leads to harm and shouldn't be platformed, but it's finding that ground in between.
That ground has been there, active in each instance but is still dismissed and mocked regardless. The majority of people didn't jump to calling her a TERF.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Right off the bat the Buck Angel portion is terrible. The whole snark dismissive tone in talking about it makes any subsequent apology insincere because it's evident that she doesn't think he's bad

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
the things i'm talking about predate this video and are in reference to the previous threads about her
I mean this video is the first time shes properly apologised for anything before though? so how does the whole apologies be seen as insincere thing? edit: except maybe the pronouns circles response? Like she didn't use the words sorry or apologise but I supppose I could see it

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017

Damn. It's like my comment is directed towards the multiple people onmy complaining about the length of the video and not on those with criticism of Whyn or the actual content.

Do you think people offer much to the conversation if they drive by just to say shit too long?

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
That ground has been there, active in each instance but is still dismissed and mocked regardless. The majority of people didn't jump to calling her a TERF.

What is the ground? When is someone a terf and not? I'll be clear when I wrote that I was talking about my than whyn, but if you want to use examples from her that's fine.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
the answer is yes. Racism doesn't have to be purposefully malicious. I'm genuinely suprised to even see this questioned in a Contra vid thread. Like don't all of us who watch her vids know this?
I mean, I guess. I'd consider the joke ignorant and perhaps bigoted, but not necessarily racist unless I connect a few extra dots in my head by considering the various social, economic and historical factors that have led to the current economic state of the Congo.

I'm probably just splitting hairs now and don't really want to derail the thread on this one point any further since there's a lot more questionable stuff in it that probably deserves more discussion.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
zero sidestepping. why do Contra's male fans love attacking nb people who have the mildest of criticisms about her

Now I am a mind reader that figured out you were NB over the internet and decided to "attack" you by asking a single question about James Charles being qualified as a Racist forever online because of that tweet?

It sucks that you feel that her "male defenders" are attacking NB people, but please don't drag me into that because I asked you a hard question.

I mean, I guess. I'd consider the joke ignorant and perhaps bigoted, but not necessarily racist unless I connect a few extra dots in my head by considering the various social, economic and historical factors that have led to the current economic state of the Congo.

I'm probably just splitting hairs now and don't really want to derail the thread on this one point any further since there's a lot more questionable stuff in it that probably deserves more discussion.

Ignorant comments can absolutely be racist, and should be adressed and recognised.

Insisting that someone should keep the label of "racist" despite no apparent other incidents since is where I think we should be asking ourselves questions.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sorry the Buck Angel section is actually worse than the people defending her summarized

She got inspired by these quotes

dlZaa3l.jpg

7fFT2t6.jpg

From him, which btw are basically you hate me because you're hurt and you hate yourself

And then she admits she knew he was hated going in to getting him on her show but trans Twitter hates everyone so who cares.

This isn't an apology it's an outright defense of the man.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Now I am a mind reader that figured out you were NB over the internet and decided to "attack" you by asking a single question about James Charles being qualified as a Racist forever online because of that tweet?

It sucks that you feel that her "male defenders" are attacking NB people, but please don't drag me into that because I asked you a hard question.

Ignorant comments can absolutely be racist, and should be adressed and recognised.

Insisting that someone should keep the label of "racist" despite no apparent other incidents since is where I think we should be asking ourselves questions.
lol are you seriously trying to act like there was no other way to determine tulpa is NB apart from mind reading? Like are you purposefully being this ignorant or have you actually not noticed such a simple part of this website?