• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Why don’t you game on PC?

• Too pricey

Votes: 661 49.6%
  • Too inconvenient (setting up graphics for every game, PC games often not optimized, ...)

Votes: 879 65.9%
  • Console gaming is more comfortable (playing on couch, on a big screen, ...)

Votes: 888 66.6%
  • I don’t care about the „best graphics“

Votes: 394 29.6%
  • I don’t care about PC specific games (like WoW, LoL, ...)

Votes: 508 38.1%
  • I don’t want to keep up with the latest hardware - a console lasts the entire generation

Votes: 665 49.9%
  • other reasons (comment)

Votes: 173 13.0%

• Total voters

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
For convenience mainly, I use my PC for work too so connecting it to a TV to play is a big inconvenience, though I still play on PC sometimes.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
Partly because I'm a Mac user so the initial investment to get a good PC is very intimidating since I would need to buy absolutely everything.

But mostly because I feel like I would need to own at least one of the consoles anyway for the exclusives and I find the graphics there to be good enough.

| TrusT |

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I've built two PC's in the past but always go back to consoles.

-Form Factor
-2x+ price for same performance
-Would need to use m+kb to be competitive but prefer using a controller
-Never fully happy with level of performance and need to fiddle the settings/config
-Hardware is outdated quickly
-HDR implementation is still poor

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The "I already use a PC at work" take is soo weird. :D
I use the exact same PC to work and play. I just keep my work stuff inside a VM so I don't even see any of my work stuff when using my PC normally!

And being a laptop it's way more convenient than a console too. Easier to move around, can just unplug it and use it around the house when not gaming, can easily connect it to the TV when I want to chill on the couch...

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
People acting as if PC gaming isn't for the masses is a wild take

Most of the reasons seem to boil down more to habit than anything else

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Too pricey, for sure. I understand I can probably make a functional PC for around the cost of one of these new consoles, but unless I can afford to build something top of the line, what's the point?
I mean the top of the line is a tiny segment of the pc userbase.....
Many people built a pc that lasts them for 5 years and are happy to have a good machine that practically runs everything

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Voted "Other". I mostly play Nintendo and Sony games. Indies on Switch (for portability).
I would love unexpensive Ryzen low powered Switch competitor for indies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I actually do game on PC but only for specific types of genres like CRPGs and strategy games. The #1 roadblock currently is that for multiplayer games, I prefer the controller and want to be matched up against others using controllers. Due to roadblock #1, my online gaming friends are on console and I prefer to be on the platform with my single player games that allow me to jump over to play with them at a moments notice. Simplicity is also a huge benefit. In a future where cross-play is standard across the board and controller filters exists for most PC games, I may consider a complete switch. Until then, console will continue to be #1 platform regardless of price.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I was pc console for years. Started back in C64 spectrum days, and was mostly PC only during the PS2 gen.
I got fed up of PC gaming, all I ended up playing was football manager, R Factor, Sim city 4.
I bought a 360 and my pc basically become a dead format for me.

The reason I haven't gone back is the overall investment it would take. A brand new system, monitor, desks, chairs, rearranging a room and trying to fit that into my limited game time.

Using a console means I can get home, have a spin on something for a bit and not worry if I don't play for a few days. With the money I'd personally look to invest in a pc I'd need to be playing it religiously again.

I do still play Deus ex and sun city 4 on my gf's crappy laptop lol

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Honestly I could check most of the poll options, particularly the top 3.

But at the end of the day the #1 reason is my personal setup at home; I share my desktop PC with my wife on a daily basis for both work and non-work related tasks. Gaming on this PC would not be possible for timing/availability or even convenience reasons. It just couldn't work.

And the living room is dedicated to console(s) and a TV that I also share with my wife and daughter - plus it's a clean and minimal setup that I'm not going to disfigure with a PC in a corner.

TL;DR:
if I had a bigger home with my own gaming room, or just a regular room with my very own PC, and if I had more money, I might be tempted.
Until then it's not realistic for logistical reasons.

Mar 22, 2019
Console gaming is obviously easier - the amount of hours I've spent tweaking settings in a pc game or just getting the damn thing to work is crazy.

However, saying that i am lucky enough to have all the consoles: ps5 and xbx in my lounge and gaming pc i built in my home office/man-cave...but I pretty much exclusively play fps games on the PC and literally everything else on the consoles.

For me it comes down to the type of game but gun to my head, for just pick up and play; console gaming is the clear winner and for those "general" games (ie: everything except sims, fps and your rts types), the PC is best.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Sold my PC when I moved to Japan the first time. I do miss having a top of the line computer.

Deleted member 80282

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 11, 2020
I can turn on my console just by pressing a button on the controller and it will resume from where I left off. PC is nowhere near as convenient. All aspects of the console OS is easily visible and controllable from a couch just using a controller. I do play PC games where a mouse is essential though and those thankfully are not very hardware intensive.

I also like my trophies, obtained on a closed platform. Steam achievements are worthless to pursue.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I get too arsey about it all and spend more time tinkering and making things optimum than having fun, and that's less easy when you're not prepared to throw money at a problem. So it's my problem, not an inherent PC platform problem, I understand this.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
As expected two options are leading the poll: inconvenience of PC gaming and convenience of console gaming. I mostly agree with the first one. I don't mind sitting at a desk to play games ( as long as the chair is comfy and can be retracted).

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Thats probably a good point... I think I just need to educate myself, and just get on it because I would really love to play the new Baldurs Gate.
Oh, I can thoroughly recommend looking into it, a decent PC lasts a damn long time.
Mine served me well for 5+ years and I am only upgrading because I want to. I certainly could go quite a bit longer if id have to

ValorSpyder

Nov 2, 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Oh, I can thoroughly recommend looking into it, a decent PC lasts a damn long time.
Mine served me well for 5+ years and I am only upgrading because I want to. I certainly could go quite a bit longer if id have to

I actually just watched a YouTube video on how to make a decent one for like $550 US and it doesn't seem as intimidating as I thought it would be. This might actually be my next big purchase after my PS5, and the beauty of it is that I can just buy it one piece at a time.

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely had a serious PC phase when a was younger. Built a couple PC's, all that. But I eventually realized I spent way more time tinkering and troubleshooting problems that I did playing games.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I just want to turn on the device and play. That's it. I don't wanna mess with menus, settings, not to mention that it may be cheaper on the software front, but is just the opposite on the hardware one.
PCs are also quite big and ugly (despite consoles like ps5 and xsx seem to follow that trend..)
It is just easier, cheaper for me, and more convenient. And then there's first party software that usually cannot be found on PC

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
I actually just watched a YouTube video on how to make a decent one for like $550 US and it doesn't seem as intimidating as I thought it would be. This might actually be my next big purchase after my PS5, and the beauty of it is that I can just buy it one piece at a time.
I am currently buying my rebuilt piece by piece XD

Building a pc is far less intimidating than it is often made out to be on forums like this

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've gamed on PC since I was very young (or my dad's PC). I always ran it alongside a console. Two very different experiences. Back then it was the home of unique 3D games that took advantage of lost of memory and storage. Star wars games like X-wing or Jedi Knight, adventure games, RTS, strategy, and of course, online multiplayer such as Quake and Counterstrike.

But in 2020, I just don't see any reason to keep up with it.

When the 360 came out I found the overall experience to be better. Wireless controllers, integrated party chat with system level voice comms, and it blew away my fairly recent PC build at the time. Consoles now had really robust multiplayer, HDD's, things were converging, and I felt less and less need to turn on the PC.

In the next 10-15 years unique high-end PC titles dried up. Big prestige PC titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Witcher now seemed to come out on console at the same time, or become console games first and foremost. Suddenly PC space became a little less unique and interesting. There were exceptions, but Crysis was a terrible game and since then we've had nothing high end on PC for a decade until... Star Citizen... which again, tried it, hated it, not even a game, possibly never will be. RTS gaming, which I enjoyed (peaked with Age of Empires 2 and then SC2) but seems to have kind of dried up. Everyone seems to have moved to 2 boring MOBA games which I despise. So what unique title are left? There is some mess of a Counterstrike game that I can't get into, Valorant, a game that installs a rootkit to try to combat cheating and looks like ass (because it's designed to run on a laptop). I can play CIV on my iPad just fine. Every unique "indy game" I'd rather play on Switch and will come out on Switch or another console almost immediately.

Right now It's Crusader Kings and maybe Age of Empires 4 (not out for a while), the only interesting games that I can't get from just owning PS4(5), Switch and a cheap iPad. If AOE4 comes to Xbox Series and I can plug a mouse and keyboard in, I'll get one of those.

Last generation I kinda still got it. PC could still make consoles look pretty bad in a lot of ways. The consoles had caveats. PC certainly had big advantages in CPU power (high frame-rate options) and SSD speeds over the PS4.

But this coming generation it's advantages are slim pickings:-
  • SSD - gone
  • CPU / High frame rate advantage Powerful 120hz options on incoming consoles.
  • Mod support (I don't personally care for any mods, and I think the golden age of mods is long past)
  • Emulation (I prefer to play 'classics' on switch).
  • Save $50/year not paying for online multiplayer. Absolutely.
  • Overall cheaper games. ($5 -$10 less for big AA games at launch)
  • Multiple launchers for theoretical 'price wars'
And that's not to say there aren't disadvantages too:-
  • Ultimately miss out on Nintendo and Sony first party games (with a few recent exceptions)
  • In late 2020 it'll be at least twice as expensive to build a Series X or PS5 equivalent. I can have a Series X PS5 and Switch for the same price I would probably spend on building a new powerful PC to match or slightly exceed them.
  • Technical hiccups, troubleshooting that I no longer have time for anymore. Let me tell you the story of trying to get one single Xbox One controller working wirelessly on PC... what I had to buy, the number of times I had to re-pair it. It's so far removed from console convenience.
  • Cheating - happens on every PC game that comes out that become popular. Recently it's been Warzone and Fall Guys, no developer seems immune because ultimately PC is an open platform were anyone can run any code they want. Rampant in even established games like Counterstrike. Just doesn't meaningfully happen on closed platform consoles to the same extent.
  • Multiple Launchers can be considered 'a mess', walled gardens have their advantages
  • "Living room PC" still sucks. You still really need to be sitting at a desk with a mouse and keyboard, or at least have one very handy. Also see my issues above with just getting one Xbox controller working wirelessly.
Folks will be dumping $400 into just a GPU and $300 into just an SSD on their existing machines to match or pip the consoles in some small metric, but if that's all the PC is now, with it's now smaller list of advantages, and all it's disadvantages, I don't think I'll be rushing back. I'll always have a "PC" in some form (a laptop), and I always have great nostalgia for what I consider the golden/unique years of PC. But I prefer appliances for games now.

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Pretty much the whole OP. Also, games aren't optimized for high end PCs, so getting one feels like a waste to me.
If the PC platform actually had high end exclusives I might consider it. But spending +1000€ for prettier console ports doesn't sound appealing.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Pretty much all of those, but the weighting is different. By far the greatest thing that drove me away from PC was the user experience. The only way that I could really be dragged back in is if GeForceNow/Stadia/Xcloud takes off in a way which I am able to consume, or if Windows gets completely revamped and becomes as straightforward and locked down an OS as iOS. And I don't see that being likely.

Nov 8, 2017
I gamed mainly on PC from 1997 to 2001. These are the main reasons I now game mainly on consoles:
  • I hate Windows. I switched exclusively to Linux around 2001, so PC gaming simply wasn't viable for the most part. I dual-boot now, but I only use Windows for things that I absolutely cannot do in Linux, and I always find it a hassle to close everything down just to play a game on Windows.
  • My PC is connected to a 27" LCD QHD monitor whereas my consoles are connected to a 55" 4K OLED TV.
  • My PC is connected to a couple of basic stereo speakers whereas my consoles are connected to a 5.1 surround system.
  • My PC is nearly 8 years old; most games run better on my PS4 Pro.
  • My friends mostly play on consoles.
  • I haven't found many exclusive PC games that I want to play aside from digital board games and emulators.
  • Many games I do want to play are not available on PC.
  • I would've jumped back into PC for VR had Sony not created PSVR. But with PSVR (and now also Oculus Quest), I don't think the cost of PC VR is worth it for just a slightly better experience, especially when some of the best VR games are exclusive to PSVR.
  • Cost is not really a factor (I can afford a new PC if I want), but I still feel like it would be wasteful to buy a new PC when my current one does everything just fine aside from games.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Voted 4 reasons in the poll:

- Too inconvenient: I know it has become much better than before, but it's still annoying to deal with to me for many reasons (also too many different stores and ways to get the games from).

- I really don't care about the technically best graphics, especially when it takes ridiculous amounts of power and the latest graphics cards to just have some improvements in some games. The lack of ideal optimization in many games is also annoying. Optimization and standardization are key to me, especially when it comes to online play and esports.
I definitely understand the appeal though, and have been tempted to build a PC a few times.

- I don't care about PC specific games: not much to add about this, I'm just not into those genres.

- I don't want to keep up with the latest hardware: I could afford it, but it's still very pricey and not worth the upgrades in general (until you wait a lot so it feels like a whole new generation). I know it can be fun and feel satisfying, but I largely prefer the feel of brand new console hardwares and huge generation leaps.

I'd add that to me, having too much freedom on PC is almost overwhelming. It's just too much.
I don't need to have so many options to buy games, play them, so many settings in every game and the possibility/need to mod them.

In the end there are many good aspects to PC gaming, but they're just not for me or I don't care much about them :)

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
When I owned a PC I ended up gravitating towards console versions half the time anyway cause of crap ports, exclusives, DRM etc. so it just seemed like a waste.

The thing that did it for me though was the sheer amount of launchers and accounts you need just to play your games. When you started needing a Bethesda account that was the last straw lol.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
Console gaming is more comfortable (playing on couch, on a big screen, ...)

I have a gaming PC that for the most past gets ignored these days. 9700k + RTX2080 + unltrawide 34"120hz. I'm on a chair in front of a desk most of the day, I really don't want to do it again when I get home. Grew up on PC's but these days I'd rather play on a big 4K OLED. I've pre ordered Cyberpunk on PC (because first person), but I'm even starting to 2nd guess that.

Even gaming aside I use my Macbook / iPad for email / YouTube / work at home.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
A lot in the poll but also I'm awful at KB+M and occasionally like to play multiplayer games where I'd be deeply disadvantaged by playing with a controller / find controllers sort of a pain to set up on computers.

Console gaming just is a much easier and more comfy experience—can do it from bed or the couch.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Not to derail but you do realize you can just connect your laptop to your TV if you want higher resolutions or just to couch game right? And a PS4 pad which you allrdy have is perfect for that as well since you can use the touch pad as a mouse substitute to start games or just use windows in general.

Honestly as a avid PC player your post and a lot of others here just seem weird to me since there are very easy solutions for pretty much everything on PC and ppl are often just too lazy to actually learn about them.

Of course, but that doesn't mean that's ideal. Moving a ton of things around so my laptop can hook up to my armoire isn't ideal. And there's games where you pretty much need K+M like Planet Coaster. Yeah it could be done on Controllers, doesn't mean it will be an ideal way to play.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Partly because I'm a Mac user so the initial investment to get a good PC is very intimidating since I would need to buy absolutely everything.
Same here. Because I'm on Mac, I can't chalk some of the cost of my gaming PC up to normal computing (web browsing, work, etc.), it's 100% a gaming expense on top of my existing Mac.

In terms of other reasons, hackers are a big factor too. The PC versions of many of the online games I play the most are notorious for being plagued by hackers.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Not to derail but you do realize you can just connect your laptop to your TV if you want higher resolutions or just to couch game right? And a PS4 pad which you allrdy have is perfect for that as well since you can use the touch pad as a mouse substitute to start games or just use windows in general.

This is what I did, except I built a small form factor TV. Fundamentally, I hated it after a while. For me, PC gaming would become better if the hardware was fixed, games selected their settings automatically (which Nvidia is getting towards), and if the OS was completely locked down - i.e. no more folders, file trees, nothing, games are simply a nice big icon - and the OS revised to be a "TV first" experience. Which pretty much has no chance of ever happening and is already being offered by consoles, tablets and phones - so the solution really is simply just to not use a PC.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I do a bit, but I prefer consoles at the moment for most titles that aren't better with a KBM and mouse for me.

There have been periods where I have had my PC as a primary platform.

But console gaming is easier. Console gaming has become more complicated (firmware updates, patches etc) and PC gaming has become easier in so many ways. Console gaming is still far easier.

Dec 8, 2018
Have build, overclocked and tinkered with PC since the early 90's and 90% of my gaming was on PC in the early PS3/360 gen but now I am 10% PC basically and I can honestly say if it was not for LoL that number would probably be 1%. There are multiple reasons for this but the main one is ease of use.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I'm using both. I'm usually playing PC games that are either tailored to this platform, smaller indie games, older titles and things that have a heavy emphasis on mods. Consoles are for either platform exclusives, console exclusives or multiplatform games that in my eyes feels like a better fit for consoles than PC.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC games by and large aren't for me. WOW, isometric games, MMO's, just eugh.

There has not been a single PC exclusive or centered game since Crysis that i've cared about or wanted.

I hate fiddling with settings and running into issues that take ages to solve just to play a game.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
This thread is wild. What does that even mean? Do you get more joy out of launching the same game through your PS4 than you would through Steam?
Absolutely. Sitting in front of a console automatically puts me in the mood for gaming. Sitting in front of a PC puts me in the mood to browse the internet.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I've sold mine to be able to buy stuff for my daughter's birth (she's 1.4 years old now) and kept the Switch because it's easier playing that in my current situation.

I'll buy a PC (or, rather, a notebook most likely) when i have the money (PCs and parts are too expensive right now here in Brazil).

But yeah i very much prefer gaming on PC.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only way I could get (old) Battlefront 2 to NOT crash when launched, was to make sure something...ANYTHING...was plugged into the mic input of my PC.

It's shit like that which keeps me from gaming on a PC. Too many driver updates, too many random fixes, too many times I'd launch a game and the sky wasn't loading in, or the sound didn't work, whatever.

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
I was exclusively playing on PC for about 5 or 6 years, built up a library of about 300 games on Steam but eventually felt like I just wasn't having fun.

It's kind of irrational and I can't give any solid answers on why I think console is better than PC other than it's closer to the experience I fell in love with as a kid. I love physical media and playing on my big TV in the living room, I know I could do that with a PC too but tailoring PC gaming to my tastes seems like work.

I also don't care about the latest games or graphics so console gaming is usually very cheap for me. I sell games I'm not going to play anymore and I buy games when they are on sale or permanently drop in price.

I also recently got a Switch and getting that sort of experience from platform agnostic hardware would be a ballache.