Nov 18, 2018
I mean, if you really want to talk about Nintendo fucking up representation:

latest

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
This is the kinda thread that gets pointed at when people that complain about political correctness want to show how ridiculous people are.

The tan thing is a trope in Japan. Paler skin is associated with wealth and class, tanned skin is associated with people working the fields and labour. You can make an argument why that is wrong, but in the context of the game, it makes sense.

yencid

Oct 27, 2017
Never said it was racist, just problematic. That yet another black woman is reduced to a sex object. There's also the problem of black people being reduced to the same 3 hair styles in games, but that's another thread.

I get what youre trying to do, i do. There are problems in game and character designs that can be addressed and made more considerate, But this really reads like outrage for small things and in other cases, just reaching.

Tropes in video games and other media, specially japanese ones will continue for a long time.
What this thread feels like is just aiming at anything that feels like they're slighting black people and culture somehow.

Also on the whole family thing, My father is darker than i am, my sister is lighter than i am and i am in the middle of their shades.

My sister can tan to be darker than i am and closer to my father so its not crazy.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Beyond all the examples in the OP, I was recently thinking of how Zelda has blonde-washed / aryanized their characters too. Link and Zelda used to be brown-red-haired in the NES games; nowadays they're invariably blonder than Marylin Monroe.

zelda2_conceptart_P9kmn.jpg

legend_of_zelda_conceptart_kFvSS.jpg

This is incidentally one of the reasons why Twilight Princess's designs are still among my favorite; it was the closest we got to reversing the trend in like two decades.

His LBW hair is of a similar chestnut to LttP's original art, but I understand it's not as brown as the NES games' artwork.
005.png

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Mexicans actually ever have a problem with this?
No. Like I said in my previous post it looked to be strictly overtly "woke" Americans doing the complaining for us.

Don't get me wrong, you all have my sword when it comes to the evil = darker skin bullshit that goes on in gaming. But that Mario in a sombrero was so endearing and yet so strange to see others doing the complaining we weren't making. It's a non-issue.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ERA T H R E A D S

Yeah, this is reaching... a lot. I can understand Cliffy B saying that he also quit gaming because it was toxic AF. Nintendo doesn´t give a shit about this thread, sure, but I can see a developer launching a new game, putting all his love into it, checking the forums to see impressions and reading a new thread saying that one character he made is a sign of racism, when there is absolutely nothing to do with it. Fucking stupid.

Oct 27, 2017
No. Like I said in my previous post it looked to be strictly overtly "woke" Americans doing the complaining for us.

Don't get me wrong, you all have my sword when it comes to the evil = darker skin bullshit that goes on in gaming. But that Mario in a sombrero was so endearing and yet so strange to see others doing the complaining we weren't making. It's a non-issue.
There's also the fact that some devs/directors actually came all the way over here and took the inspiration directly, and didnt just Googled their impressions of Mexico.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Link and Dark Link is Peter Pan fighting his shadow. That is what he is based on and that is how Dark Link always appears in the games, rising up from his shadow.

Oh man. I never made this connection before, but now it makes a crazy amount of sense. I can't believe I didn't catch this allusion. It seems so blatant in retrospect.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Hey what's the problem with sombrero Mario? We love him
EDIT: The sombrero was not racist, because even our Olympic committee puts one on the head of our athletes in the Olympics, i just wanted to say that its boring and predictable when our people uses other kind of hats, that look better.

I don't, that stupid sobrero only represents the southweast of Mexico, mainly Jalisco, this is the sombrero i wanted to be in game

tipos-sombreros-mexico-550-sombrero-texana_0.jpg

Or this

Sombrero%20palma%20Vaquero.jpg

Theres so much mexican culture out there, if you want to represent México with a hat at least do it with a hat that half the population uses.
Joking, but i really hate that sombrero, the Mexican sport federation puts one in your head in the olympics, even to athletes that are from northern states, it sucks

Last edited:

yencid

Oct 27, 2017
That transformation was tanned pirate Tetra magically changing into makeuped royalty sheltered Zelda that rarely left the castle to get any sun. Sure there's definitely issues with how she just becomes a damsel in distress after that but it doesn't really represent something racist to me but more of an actual class thing that makes sense for that world.
nah you just buggin now

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's a lighter colours = purity thing that isn't uncommon in character design, but it is fucked up when it extends to skin colour.

When they darken the skin of Evil Ryu, alongside his Gi, it's to connote a lost purity. I'm sure the racist connotations are a byproduct, but they do still exist and it is still fucked up.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Windwaker is one of my favorite games but I can't seem to remember - does the skin color change happen immediately with Zelda? Because in all fairness she is cooped up inside for awhile waiting for Link to get his shit together. Would at least make sense if it were not immediate, I am not sure I would necessarily interpret Tetra as being colored as opposed to tan. It's suspect to just have it change because she assumed her true princess identity.

Carbone

Oct 27, 2017
OP needs a logical explanation :
Zelda wears white powder as makeup because she's a princess and it's a thing princesses do.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most of these examples are reaches or flat out ridiculous but I think people are really bending over backwards to defend the Tetra/Zelda one.

Why can't a pretty princess be dark skinned?
I don't see many people do that though? The Zelda/Tetra one was pretty much the only valid one OP had, but then decided to derail their own thread with reaches like Dark Link, Twintelle, the claim white people can't get tans as strong as Tetra's or the Pokemon anime, which Nintendo doesn't even have anything to dow ith.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Link and Dark Link is Peter Pan fighting his shadow. That is what he is based on and that is how Dark Link always appears in the games, rising up from his shadow.
A cool detail is that in OoT, when Link enters the Dark Link room, he loses his shadow. Because Dark Link IS his shadow. When he exits the room, he has his shadow again. Neat stuff.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
You know op....there is this one franchise that build its foundation on the whole light =good and dark=bad thing. It is called star wars....and even there i wouldn't think that it is intentionally racist.

Evil characters being portrayed as darker goes back to emotions. "Bad" emotions are often called dark or depicted as dark. People that were light skinned give in to these emotions and either get a dark aura or are being consumed by their emotions and turn darker.

And it isn't because of racism...this dates way back. The sun was worshipped in most cultures and was a symbol for good things...therefor light was something good. Darkness meant most of the time death because it didn't help cultures to survive. It doesn't help that people living in darkness are more affected by bad emotions and stuff.

And the tetra zelda stuff is pretty basic. Royalty is white in asian countries. It dates back to the social structure that royalty doesn't work in the fields and therefor has no tan. People shielded themself from sunlight to keep their light skin.

Oct 27, 2017
Most of these examples are reaches or flat out ridiculous but I think people are really bending over backwards to defend the Tetra/Zelda one.

Why can't a pretty princess be dark skinned?

Who said they can't be? It's more of Nintendo being resistant to change the look of Zelda and Link aside from clothing and hair style changes

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Windwaker is one of my favorite games but I can't seem to remember - does the skin color change happen immediately with Zelda? Because in all fairness she is cooped up inside for awhile waiting for Link to get his shit together. Would at least make sense if it were not immediate, I am not sure I would necessarily interpret Tetra as being colored as opposed to tan. It's suspect to just have it change because she assumed her true princess identity.
Its instantaneous. You can see she's even wearing makeup.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I think Japanese games and anime have a significant amount of racism in them. Tons of white washing. Also, from my experience white washing has been accepted in many parts of Asia in general. You should Google fair and lovely skin bleacher. It's extremely popular in south and south East Asia. It's fucked up.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't, that stupid sobrero only represents the southweast of Mexico, mainly Jalisco, this is the sombrero i wanted to be in game

Or this

Theres so much mexican culture out there, if you want to represent México with a hat at least do it with a hat that half the population uses.
But those sombreros also exists in other cultures/countries. The sombrero worn by Mario is inequivocally Mexican.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I apologize if this thread was made in good faith, but this thread reads exactly like something that someone on some other shitty board would come here and make so that they could go back and high five their bros about what stupid SJWs we all are for agreeing with an absurd thread (which is obviously not what's happening itt)
This. I've seen this phenomenon one too many times that it's difficult for me to not raise an eyebrow at this thread.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
You know op....there is this one franchise that build its foundation on the whole light =good and dark=bad thing. It is called star wars....and even there i wouldn't think that it is intentionally racist.

Darth Vader is this big bad black man, until he's redeemed and takes the helmet off to reveal an old wrinkly white guy.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
According to OP's logic Darth Vader is problematic because he wears black armor. Shit is ridiculous tbh.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017

Or this

Those are cowboy hats though, it would look out of place on Tostarena

Oct 26, 2017
Dark skin as evil is obviously not a good trope and Nintendo shouldn't really continue it at all...

But Nintendo's biggest problem racially I think is still not making playable characters who are black or brown.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Mario with a sombrero is racist? Op is reaching a lot. Mexican American with Mexican parents all thought it was cute n cool when I showed them a photo.

As for Zelda in WInd Waker, I always thought it was a tan cause she was at sea.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think skin tones have just no meaning in Zelda games so they are all over the place. In some of your examples you are reaching to guess a skin tone in some its just different lightning that chances the tone.

The Dark Pit/Link example must be a joke, yes night black stands for evil, but that has nothing to do with skin tones, but with the dark night that people fear.

Mexican hat is racist? What is this nonsense?

Honestly with such threads you are not helping anyone just fuel the fire. People who are really doing something against real racism get backslash because of hilarious threads like this... I hope this is not your real intention.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
This is such a terrible thread. Has OP ever been out in the sun?

I used to be on the swim team in high school, and I'm a relatively pale asian guy. My skin got so tanned that I was as dark as some of my Indian teammates.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I don't believe there exist any Mexican people who didn't find Mario in a sombrero adorable.

Mexican ERA please quote me and state your opinion on Mario with a sombrero
My only problem with this was Nintendo opting to remove Sombrero Mario from the box art prior to release because "woke" Americans thought it was offensive. That shit hurt!

Like a previous user here said: we sell sombreros and ponchos to tourists here like nobody's business. Having Mario buy one in a Mexico inspired world is not only adorable but authentic!

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Let me reiterate from my last post that I've yet to see a single Mexican anywhere complaining about Mario wearing a sombrero and poncho in odyssey. The only ppl I've seen complaining about this being cultural appropriation or some other crap are Americans. I've seen nothing but love and appreciation from Mexicans when we saw that Mario. We love seeing others embracing our culture as long as it's not making fun of it which of course it isn't the case with Odyssey.

Twintelle is awesome btw.
Yep. Mexican here and I fail to see how Mario in a sombrero is racist. That outcry was dumb as fuck.

Tac spirit fight was removed? I fail to see how that one was racist.

Baircade

Aug 21, 2018
Europe
Plenty of logical explanations from fellow ERA users yet OP won't listen to facts and reason...
Just admit you were reaching.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reluctant to wade into this but I think it's fair to say how Japanese artists depict skin tones - and their motives for picking one shade over another - isn't so simple or straightforward. I was reminded of this piece of official Street Fighter Alpha art, where in Ryu's case darker just seems to signify older.

street_fighter_ryu_chun_chun-li_crossovers_alpha_ken_desktop_1366x916_hd-wallpaper-647567.jpg

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I can't say I've ever read King Hyrule as dark-skinned, but either way it's really not that weird to have light skin even if you have a Dark Dad

Status
Not open for further replies.